Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2022, 16:35   #166
BHPian

Re: Want to buy a 45 - 50 lakh SUV | How to get rid of the middle class guilt?

There was a time of Endeavour, CR-V, Trailblazer, Koleos, Pajero, Outlander, Tucson, Santa Fe competing with Fortuner in this segment. We are now left with no choice worth comparing. We have 1.5 L at 15-20 Lakhs or straight to X1, Q2/Q3 GLC as poor man's luxury cars.

Even countries like Nepal and Srilanka have better choices.
srameshdelhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 18:56   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
Then go for it - if you can afford this then why not. Way I see things:

-Live in present.
-For future do decent planning but don't pend everything for later.
-As life passes by we are spending one currency that will never come back i.e. our health.
Totally agree. I haven't postponed many things in my life except buying vehicles. When I bought my first car in 2001, I could easily decide that would be a Santro-LE because the choice was limited in my budget. No official reviews to read, no Youtube reviews. Limited information and limited choices make life easier. Reference: Art Of Thinking Clearly by Rolf Dobelli.

But now, as I get older there is a tendency of analysis-paralysis. Paradox of choices. Finally I give up the idea of buying a car, what an easy decision to make! :-)
Romins is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 22:22   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Surprised by the tortured posts on this thread.

Buy it and enjoy it, I say! I'm a self-made professional and don't intend to leave bags of gold and stock options for any heirs. My kids will fend for themselves just as my wife and I did.

I'd much rather increase India's GDP and KA tax collections by spending during such times. China did not reach where it did by agonizing about middle class guilt.

Last edited by itwasntme : 23rd February 2022 at 22:24.
itwasntme is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 20:19   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
"Head over heart, Practicality over sheer road presence, Comfort over charm, Family over masculine pride"
The decision was much simpler in the end. With a twist in the tale, I booked a pearl white Innova Diesel ZX AT.

Many many congratulations on your purchase, yes you made a wise decision on selecting Innova over 7 Seater SUVs..

A day before yesterday I saw Hyundai Alcazar and Tata Safari parked next to each other in my society. I immediately took a closed look at them “kya kare apan to aadat se mjbur hai”. I peaked into both cars and I noticed both looked great in interiors and exteriors.
But when it comes to space and practicality, offcourse there is only one King.
After gazing them for a while, I realised if someone wants a 6/7 seater vehicle for his family, then it should always be Innova.
It offers a more reliable engine, good interior space and a solid built.
This car is a clear choice for Indians who are looking for a comfortable ride for their family of 6-7 members.

I never rode seating in front seat of this car, I was always in 3rd row or 2nd row whenever we have hired this car for long distance travel and was pretty comfortable taking any seat.

And out of all journeys we had in Innova, I’ll always remember the one We did in a MY2011 Toyota Innova from Pune to my hometown in May 2020.
That was the time when first lockdown was in place and there were no trains/flights/buses functioning.
So hired car was only choice.
We all travelled for 13 hours straight with only 2 breaks for breakfast and lunch.
I was sitting in 3rd row for that long, and after reaching destination it didn’t even felt anything.

Ride was so comfortable, I almost came sleeping in the 3rd row. Vehicle was 9 year old and still entire powertrain was working smooth, plus Zero NVH.
That day vehicle earned a new respect and it’s a segment leader for this reason.

Sorry if I bored you with such a long story, but I shared just to let you know that you made a great choice and this vehicle will be part of your Travel Stories in coming future.

Have a Happy & Safe Travels !!

Last edited by Kaus2002 : 24th February 2022 at 20:37. Reason: Editing
Kaus2002 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 20:49   #170
BHPian

Excellent choice.

As a proud owner of 2019 Innova crysta ZX MT and 2021 Fortuner 4x4 MT, I can safely say that your choice is excellent.

Fortuner is nowhere close to Innova in terms of passenger comfort. Both me and my wife drive both the cars. She just refuses to be a passenger in the Fortuner and wants to drive while in the Innova, she sits back and relaxes while I drive.
raghukodali is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2022, 11:45   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearchichi View Post
Is there any real difference between the 2022 Innova and one that retailed say 3 or 4 years ago, apart from cosmetic changes?

New releases these days tend to be loaded with several more safety and novelty features that is hard to ignore (XUV 700 and Carens being the obvious examples).
Very rightly questioned. Though not in the market for a car, I went through the same decision making process when I first started going thru this thread, made the same mental shortlist, reached the same dead-ends and arrived at the Innova.

The trouble with Innova as well as the other runners-up in my list are that they are all uglier than a buffalo's rear-end. Innova, XUV, Carens all dull as ditch water!

Yes, I need practicality above all. I can live without features and adrenaline rush but I absolutely need good looks. I like to turn and look at my ride after I have parked her and think, "Gosh, see looks gorgeous" like I look at my Missus after nearly 3 decades of marriage. I need to look at the car when all the water is wiped off after a good wash and feel my pulse race (no Missus comparisons here, Ahem).

So I am going to hold on to my Blue and Grey Hexa for as long as I can and then maybe switch to something electric and exciting.
Ferruccio is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2022, 23:52   #172
BHPian

After driving a XUV500 for 8 years and 11 months, 1.3 lac kms, I picked up an Innova GX 2.4 Diesel AT in silver color today. Prior to the XUV, I had a Scorpio. I was keen on the Safari for driving pleasure, my wife preferred the Hector plus for its finish and featured. Those were chosen in one visit, but we visited the Toyota showrooms 4 times just to figure out why people recommend such an outdated car. Yes, the brand new Innova I got home today is a truly dated, featureless and boring car but when the head rules, it's the only one that made sense.

a) Hector did not have an auto in Diesel. End of story.
b) Owning a Tiago, and having serviced if from all the Tata service centers, can say that they are terrible, even compared to M&M.
c) The XUV700 is a facelifted XUV500, with electronics that M&M willl struggle with. Also, I would probably get delivery in 2024 and the 10yr rule for my car forced me to decide now.
d) Innova - simple basic car, which besides me, our driver too can drive. Very comfortable ride in the mid row captain seats. I've heard good stories about their service.

Here's something I learnt while buying a car this week - tata, MG and Toyota - all dealers insisted on delivery period of 4 to 10 weeks after booking. I booked yesterday and took delivery today. I called all 5 dealers of Toyota around Delhi/NCR gave my specific requirement and let all of them know that I am calling all 5, whoever delivers first, I'll pickup the same day. I got calls back from 2 of them within an hour. Chose the nearest one in Gurgaon, delivery done today.

Diesel Vs Petrol - while petrol cars are allowed to run for 15 years, you feel like changing a car around the 1 lakh km mark - age of the vehicle + wear and tear takes its toll. Changed the Scorpio and 1.2 lakh and XUV - had been wanting to replace it for past 10k kms now. I drive between 12 to 15k a year, with a 9 year life, diesel makes sense.
slylenser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2022, 01:16   #173
BHPian

At the age of 26, I bought my first car which was a 3rd gen Honda City and my mother was shocked. She didn't thought I would go for a big car.

Now after 12 yrs, I am thinking whether to go for a small car under ₹10 lacs and save money or go for a mid size SUV something in ₹15 lacs or wait and save some more to get the Innova or Safari or XUV700 at ₹25 lacs.

At 26, I was free to spend without thinking much. Now I have to think about a lot of things like my daughter's education, my family budget, my early retirement plans among other things.

Its too confusing and scary to be honest. What if I make a mistake that would jeopardise the future of my family.

When one buy a car, the expense is not only the car but its future fuel bills, its maintenance bills, its insurance over the years. They all add up. On top of that the fuel prices just keep increasing adding up to overall inflation everywhere.

On that note, wish you lots of happy miles in your Innova.

Last edited by souvikjana83 : 27th February 2022 at 01:22.
souvikjana83 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th February 2022, 12:03   #174
BHPian

Quote:
My Polo has completed 12 years now. It is high time an upgrade is due. I am highly emotionally attached to my possessions.
So selling is not an option and Polo will stay with me. The car has served me well with zero breakdowns or major issues. Again I am very much choosy and has very strong likes and dislikes. The only car which has made an impression on me in the current lots due to multiple reasons is Toyota Fortuner. I know the car is over priced. Still I love the car. Resources are not a problem for me and I can even make an all cash purchase.
Buy the fortuner, and also buy a piece of land on which you can grow a forest. You can make yourself carbon neutral this way and not have to worry about polluting the environment. This is how most corporations operate and make themselves guilty free of polluting the environment .
So even you can do the same. It's a win win situation for you and for the environment. You can use the fortuners 4x4 ability to get to the forest. In doing so, you will make your weekend trips into a family events and also inculcate environmental consciousness into your kids. They will learn about climate issues and how to tackle it instead of just posting about things online. Watching the self planted forest grow in front of your own eyes will teach everyone an invaluable lesson and teach a lot of soft skills like nurturing, patience, hope plus it will give the family lots of bonding time while allowing you to pursue your driving pleasure, guilt free. This is merely a suggestion that you may follow if it suits you. Cheers.
PowerSpike is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2022, 15:19   #175

Hello Folks
This is my very first post on team BHP. Please pardon me any errors. I am a bit too shy to write. But this topic has flickered the strings of my heart so much that I am left with no choice but to write.

I own a 2020 fortuner MT which I have driven 50000 kms. Last year my brother purchased innova crysta ZX AT. It's a very good and practical choice for city use but I have no confidence in that car when going for outstation trips.

Two months back I had to travel to Hyderabad from raipur, I took an older fortuner (2020) MT over an innova AT. Reason being, innova AT is so sluggish to drive, it lacks that punch on highways to overtake. I was scared to drive innova AT on highway. I am happy that I took fortuner for the trip and sad for the reason that I bought innova AT. I would have rather bought another fortuner or Innova MT.
Please consider this practical point as well.
torquelover is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 10:30   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquelover View Post
Two months back I had to travel to Hyderabad from raipur, I took an older fortuner (2020) MT over an innova AT. Reason being, innova AT is so sluggish to drive, it lacks that punch on highways to overtake. I was scared to drive innova AT on highway. I am happy that I took fortuner for the trip and sad for the reason that I bought innova AT. I would have rather bought another fortuner or Innova MT.
Please consider this practical point as well.
I don't think you should be scared to use Innova AT or for that matter any ATs on highway. You should not be making any overtaking maneuvers which are too tight which needs downshift of more than a gear in which you were cruising. AT may take some time to get used to, but you can always use the shift down option if you want to downshift in AT. There is slow shift happening to ATs in India. More than 40-50% of Innovas sold are ATs. So we need to get out of this mindset that MTs are more fun to drive or suitable for highway runs.
poloman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 20:58   #177

Quote:
I don't think you should be scared to use Innova AT or for that matter any ATs on highway. You should not be making any overtaking maneuvers which are too tight which needs downshift of more than a gear in which you were cruising. AT may take some time to get used to, but you can always use the shift down option if you want to downshift in AT. There is slow shift happening to ATs in India. More than 40-50% of Innovas sold are ATs. So we need to get out of this mindset that MTs are more fun to drive or suitable for highway runs.
You are absolutely right.
Sorry i forgot to mention. My daily ride is BMW X1 since 2016 and my wife drives grand i10 AT . So I am more used to ATs than MTs. I feel confident with BMW on highways and not so with innova AT. Since i10 is used strictly for city commute, there is no point in mentioning.
My point was, a car like innova, for folks like me who live in non metro cities, would intend to use it for outstation trips, and if power is inadequate, the purpose of buying that vehicle remains incompletely fulfilled.
torquelover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 22:57   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquelover View Post
My point was, a car like innova, for folks like me who live in non metro cities, would intend to use it for outstation trips, and if power is inadequate, the purpose of buying that vehicle remains incompletely fulfilled.
I would be surprised if it is really that bad, the maximum cars that I see in highways, atleast in South India, are Innova's (old and new ones). And most of them are normally driven spiritedly.
Old 1st March 2022, 06:36   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
I would be surprised if it is really that bad, the maximum cars that I see in highways, atleast in South India, are Innova's (old and new ones). And most of them are normally driven spiritedly.
I maybe be biased because of BMW and fortuner. What I have written is my personal experience.
torquelover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 14:46   #180
BHPian

Hi Poloman,

Quote:
" I booked a pearl white Innova Diesel ZX AT.
You might end up writing a detailed account of your booking process, but in the meantime, do you have recommendations for a Toyota dealer in Bangalore? I have been to Ravindu twice (north Bangalore) but would like to check others out too.

I read elsewhere that you got discounts of Rs. 25K. Awesome!

Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks