Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2009, 22:58   #136
BHPian

I have come across many people concluding PAJERO is more comfortable than Fortuner on road. The entire suspension set up is just perfect. It's also a better off-roader than Fortuner. Only area where Fortuner scores over Pajero is the engine, outer looks and Toyota badge which enjoys a lot of premium in India. If I were to buy an vehicle right now for sheer pure off-roading, I would head straight for Pajero.

On road, Captiva betters Pajero, Fortuner and Endeavour when it comes to comfort, equipment and safety.

Endeavour on the other hand is so easily the best value for money off roader at the moment. The main reason why Fortuner is selling hot is just because of looks and Toyota badge. I bet more than 90% of the buyers won't know what the 2nd lever is there for alongside the gear lever. During my visit to their showroom on August 24, 2009, I myself heard around 5 different guys asking the salesman "Why it has 2 gear levers"?
Old 4th December 2009, 23:25   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

@testosterone- Pajero has the best suspension setup when compared to body on chassis SUV's. BUT i find it unfair to compare a crossover with a proper SUV.

Conclusion-
Onroad- CRV>Outlander>GV>Captiva>Pajero>Fortuner>Endeavour
Offroad- Pajero>Fortuner>Endeavour>GV>Captiva=Outlander=CRV
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2009, 00:00   #138
BHPian

But you see, CRV loses to Captiva when it comes to power, torque, equipment, safety and running costs. No wonder CRV drives and handles like a car but it is really a fuel guzzler and whatmore, it seats only 5. Captiva is roomier than CRV. Not to mention, it is well over 4 lacs dearer than Captiva which makes it a horrid buy at the moment. X-Trail is much better overall than CRV. Outlander again runs on petrol and seats 5. Thats why it failed to take off. Actually I was wondering why Ford didn't improve Endy's suspennsion set up?
Old 5th December 2009, 00:04   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

CRV is much better to drive than Captiva, every Petrolhead here will agree.

No offences meant to Captiva owners.
Old 5th December 2009, 10:04   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
I have come across many people concluding PAJERO is more comfortable than Fortuner on road. The entire suspension set up is just perfect.
I have an old issue of Auto Car India where they pitched the Pajero 2.8 SFX with the Endy Thunder +. The article says that for a 10+ year old SUV the Pajero has the great ride and handling. Pajeros biggest flaw is that it is sold by HM with clown paint, stupid two seater middle row with giant arm rests on either side and a weak (by today's standards) engine. If they put a peppier engine in the Pajero 2.8 and adjust the price given that the competition has adjusted prices, it will be my first choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
It's also a better off-roader than Fortuner. Only area where Fortuner scores over Pajero is the engine, outer looks and Toyota badge which enjoys a lot of premium in India. If I were to buy an vehicle right now for sheer pure off-roading, I would head straight for Pajero.
I have to question your assessment that Pajero is a better off-roader? How do you conclude that? The suspension/transmission set up is very identical. Fortuner has a much superior engine? How do you claim that Pajero is a better off-roader without putting the Pajero and Fortuner to through the same off-road obstacles? What Pajero has is a much longer history which the Fortuner doesn't. I dont' see any reason why the Forturner should be any less capable than a Pajero 2.8 off-road.
Old 5th December 2009, 12:44   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I have to question your assessment that Pajero is a better off-roader? How do you conclude that? The suspension/transmission set up is very identical. Fortuner has a much superior engine? How do you claim that Pajero is a better off-roader without putting the Pajero and Fortuner to through the same off-road obstacles? What Pajero has is a much longer history which the Fortuner doesn't. I dont' see any reason why the Forturner should be any less capable than a Pajero 2.8 off-road.
It's not my assessment. I said I've just heard from couple of owners. How conclusive is that? - I don't know; Maybe Fortuner is new to the market. That's why I'm discussing this thing here. History wise, Pajero holds an edge as far as I know. But accordingly to me, the ride and handling of Pajero is better than Fortuner since I have driven both of them. Pajero's engine, while it may not have same power and torque like Fortuner, is still competent though. The only problem with Pajero is you don't feel like spending 20 lacs on an outdated model.

See, these pricey SUV's are more of an ego massagers. When it comes to off roading, a good driver can do just the same things with their good ol' gypsies and scorpios. This topic is a never ending one though. Land Rover vs Montero vs Land Cruiser .......type of topics can go on and on for ever.
Old 5th December 2009, 14:46   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

The biggest flaw with the Pajero is short gearing to compensate the lack of horsepower, it robs the car of comfortable cruising ability and FE on highways. Even ACI reported the FE to be lower than Endy auto.
Old 5th December 2009, 18:11   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The biggest flaw with the Pajero is short gearing to compensate the lack of horsepower, it robs the car of comfortable cruising ability and FE on highways. Even ACI reported the FE to be lower than Endy auto.
The short gearing also makes the car run out of steam on the highways. At 120+ the rpm starts to go up very high and you go outside the power/torque band. The Endy 3.0 on the other hand is in it's torque sweet spot all the way upto 140.
Old 7th December 2009, 15:43   #144
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

for those recommending petrol SUV's like CRV, GV over the Captiva one need to realize that the cost of ownership would be much higher in the long run due to lower mileage and higher cost of petrol over diesel.

for those recommeding the Pajero over the fortuner for off roading - yet quite true even as per tests by car mags, but no at all the case on road as it runs out of steam as low as 120 kmph due to short gearing for city driving. Also the fortuner has the best interior space.

So it should be between the fortuner among the ladder chassis or the captiva among the softroaders. unless one wants an auto on a a ladder chasssi - endy.
Old 31st October 2016, 10:38   #145
BHPian

Which suv/muv?

Mod note: Please use search before opening a new post. Thanks.

Hey guys. Had posted a thread and have no idea where it is and why the admins did not approve.
Am looking for a 7seater within 20l and have settled for XUV as of now. As i can easily wait for another year, i just wanted to understand if the car might get another facelift or if any other suv/muv might be introduced in this segment.
It would be great if you guys helped me in directing my next course of action!
Thank you!

Last edited by Jaggu : 31st October 2016 at 11:58. Reason: Mod note: Please use search before opening a new post. Thanks.
Old 31st October 2016, 12:20   #146
BHPian

Re: Which suv/muv?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
Mod note: Please use search before opening a new post. Thanks.

Hey guys. Had posted a thread and have no idea where it is and why the admins did not approve.
Am looking for a 7seater within 20l and have settled for XUV as of now. As i can easily wait for another year, i just wanted to understand if the car might get another facelift or if any other suv/muv might be introduced in this segment.
It would be great if you guys helped me in directing my next course of action!
Thank you!
The Hexa is coming up and I suggest you wait for it. A proper 7 seater and with initial reviews looking good, it is surely worth the wait. Other launches like the new fortuner are on the wrong side of 20 L.
Old 31st October 2016, 12:25   #147
Team-BHP Support

Re: Which suv/muv?

Quote:

Am looking for a 7seater within 20l and have settled for XUV as of now.
It will help if you could share what exactly are your other criteria in an SUV? apart from 7 seater & 20 Lakhs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seek View Post
The Hexa is coming up and I suggest you wait for it.
This is one example of a great package that is be coming our way and which might be under 20 Lakhs.
Old 31st October 2016, 13:43   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
It will help if you could share what exactly are your other criteria in an SUV? apart from 7 seater & 20 Lakhs.

Well, we are a family of three (my parents and myself) so there's no strong requirement that i need a proper 7-seater. I would just end up folding the last row seats for boot space and using it as a 5-seater!
We could buy a 5-seater but somehow i don't want to. Lol!
Coming to Hexa, its real good but only wish the second row seats were not individual ones.. My granny (whenever she comes with us) needs more space for her to sit comfortably which is not possible in Hexa. She'll have to sit in the third row which is not advisable.

Usage would be in city mostly with monthly twice highway runs. Heard that the XUV has a clutch lever with a tall play and would be uncomfortable in cities.
Rite now, excluding the Hexa, xuv is the only one that fits my requirements. So was wondering if there would be a face lift in a year's duration, or any other new additions in this segment.
Old 1st November 2016, 16:32   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 20 lakh SUV

Quote:
Well, we are a family of three (my parents and myself) so there's no strong requirement that i need a proper 7-seater. I would just end up folding the last row seats for boot space and using it as a 5-seater! ...
Have you checked out Storme & Creta? Though Creta should take the cake, Storme has one of the BEST middle row comfort and your granny would be extremely happy with it.

With these, you should be able to save some solid cash too. I don't see why Creta wouldn't suit you when compared against the XUV (except for the size factor).
Old 1st November 2016, 18:15   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Have you checked out Storme & Creta? Though Creta should take the cake, Storme has one of the BEST middle row comfort and your granny would be extremely happy with it.

With these, you should be able to save some solid cash too. I don't see why Creta wouldn't suit you when compared against the XUV (except for the size factor).
We thought of Storme and Scorpio but dad is not happy with them. He says, since we do not change cars so often, its good if we settle with a good looking car with features equally worth having. (He likes all the add ons that XUV has!)
Coming to Creta, i honestly have not explored the 5-seater segment. However, let me take a look. Thanks for the suggestion!
Am waiting for any news on facelifts for XUV since its more than 1.8 years (i guess?) since there was an update.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks