Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2008, 13:57   #1
v10
BHPian

20 lakh SUV

Looking for an SUV for 20 lakhs..... just sold my 2007 cr-v..... the SUV should be diesel..... am interested in the following
1.) Chevorlet Captiva
2.) Hyundai Santa Fe
3.) Mitsubishi outlander and Toyota fortuner (if coming to india soon)

Am not intrested in the ford endeavour....(too harsh) or the hyundai tucson (already own a silver one)

Looking forward to your suggestions and if any of you guys know when these SUVs will be launched.......

Thanks
Old 26th January 2008, 14:00   #2
Team-BHP Support

the captiva is already launched.
Old 26th January 2008, 14:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

There is no concrete news on Hyundai Santa Fe or the Mitsubishi Outlander. The Fortuner has been coming now since ages.

The Captiva doesnot have 4WD. If your ok with that then get the Captiva, else wait for some time, news is Fortuner is going to be here soon, by mid this year.
Old 26th January 2008, 14:49   #4
BHPian

X-trail is an option, its diesel, though the model is quite old now. See very few around, is it still being sold. Going for a Captiva after CRV will be a downgrade IMHO. Santa Fe is supposed to be launched but difficult to consider or wait unless there is confirmed info. So i guess you are not spoiled for choice at the moment.
Old 26th January 2008, 15:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
X-trail is an option, its diesel, though the model is quite old now. See very few around, is it still being sold. Going for a Captiva after CRV will be a downgrade IMHO. Santa Fe is supposed to be launched but difficult to consider or wait unless there is confirmed info. So i guess you are not spoiled for choice at the moment.

The Captiva a downgrade after the CRV ?? What makes you say that ?? I am told the Captiva has decent trim levels & is a spirited performer. Intend to test-drive one tommorow. Drove the CRV just a few days back - isn't amazing but yes it's fine BUT it's a petrol.

Cheers
Old 26th January 2008, 17:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

I don't have experience with any of these, based on my little knowledge I suggest you Captiva (already available) or Fortuner (will come in 15 months but its worth a wait if launched).

I heard Captiva has good space inside and nice ride too.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 26th January 2008, 18:49   #7
BHPian

Hi V10, how about test-driving a Pajero too? The only thing going against it is a plain jane interior, but it is a darn competent SUV and has excellent road manners.
Old 26th January 2008, 21:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

[quote=BUSA;701474]There is no concrete news on Hyundai Santa Fe or the Mitsubishi Outlander. The Fortuner has been coming now since ages.

when is the fortuner going to be launched? if it's really going to be launched.
Old 26th January 2008, 21:30   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Captiva without a doubt. The outlander is great too but no news of when it's coming and the Fortuner,you can forget about it for a while according to ACI it will now come in 2 years !
Old 26th January 2008, 22:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

Leaving aside the fact that CR-V is a petrol, Captiva is certainly a downgrade if one basic point of being a SUV is taken into consideration - 4WD.

Captiva lacks it and CR-V boasts of slip-differential.!

And v10, I'm a bit surprised that you did not even think of making a passing reference to the venerable Pajero. Even today it can give a run for money to all these self-professed SUVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
The Captiva a downgrade after the CRV ?? What makes you say that ?? I am told the Captiva has decent trim levels & is a spirited performer. Intend to test-drive one tommorow. Drove the CRV just a few days back - isn't amazing but yes it's fine BUT it's a petrol.

Cheers

Last edited by gd1418 : 26th January 2008 at 22:10.
Old 26th January 2008, 22:34   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Pajero and Endeavour are the only proper SUV's here with good offroad talent,all other options are softroaders.

Captiva does not even have four wheel drive,plus the indian version is stripped off of ESP and traction control.
Old 27th January 2008, 09:58   #12
v10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Pajero and Endeavour are the only proper SUV's here with good offroad talent,all other options are softroaders.

Captiva does not even have four wheel drive,plus the indian version is stripped off of ESP and traction control.
alright the reasons why i would never go in for a endeavour or pajero are:--

pajero -- 1) it is a 15 year old design
2) i drove a pajero recently its got no power
3) my cousins had mitsubishi pajeros (one indian and 1 was imported) and after crossing the 15k or 20k mark on the odo all the body parts started to rattle and some parts even fell off by 30k!!!!!!

endeavour -- 1) pretty old design again and crude and harsh even though its built is pretty tough
2) i'm also looking for an suv which i could drive once in a while and should have some pep......
Old 27th January 2008, 10:44   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Leaving aside the fact that CR-V is a petrol, Captiva is certainly a downgrade if one basic point of being a SUV is taken into consideration - 4WD.

Captiva lacks it and CR-V boasts of slip-differential.!

And v10, I'm a bit surprised that you did not even think of making a passing reference to the venerable Pajero. Even today it can give a run for money to all these self-professed SUVs.

I am talking strictly from the trim level / power / overall appeal factors. IMHO Someone wanting a SERIOUS off-roader would not be looking at the CRV anyways, most of us use these on tarmac & that's what made me make that statement.

Cheers
Old 27th January 2008, 10:53   #14
Senior - BHPian

Rave reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by v10 View Post
alright the reasons why i would never go in for a endeavour or pajero are:--

pajero -- 1) it is a 15 year old design
2) i drove a pajero recently its got no power
3) my cousins had mitsubishi pajeros (one indian and 1 was imported) and after crossing the 15k or 20k mark on the odo all the body parts started to rattle and some parts even fell off by 30k!!!!!!

endeavour -- 1) pretty old design again and crude and harsh even though its built is pretty tough
2) i'm also looking for an suv which i could drive once in a while and should have some pep......
The Pajero has gotten very good reviews on this site and that includes a very good review on the fast and reliable engine. No one else has complained about the body or parts falling off. I find your post unbelievable, to put it simply. Of course, if you beat the h*ll out of any vehicle and do not maintain it, it will not last or perform.

Also, if it is a good design who cares if it is old? The Humvee is an old design. Does this make the Humvee somehow less capable? The Pajero is a very capable classic that is still available. This is a SUV built with the idea of tackling rough roads and terrain as opposed to a city street luxury cruiser. It's center differential allows all wheel drive which makes it a good monsoon vehicle as well as off-roader. There are no quality issues with this SUV. Reliability has been its reputation for years.
Old 27th January 2008, 11:24   #15
Senior - BHPian

if you want a true SUV, then its PAJERO all the way. design may be a little old but still it rocks both on and off the road..had the chance(maybe even honor) of driving one a few months back..

Most Viewed