Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2008, 12:52   #16
Team-BHP Support

Guys, guys... cool down. He had a CR-V previously and now he wants a diesel SUV, and he has Captiva as one of the choices. That makes it very clear, he doesn't need an off-roader. He needs an on-road SUV probably for the high-stance and high GC. Therefore, let's not discuss the merits of various off-roaders, he doesn't appear to be looking for one.
Old 27th January 2008, 17:42   #17
Senior - BHPian

Just came back from the GM Showroom. The Captiva in flesh & blood looks & feels way better than the pics :-) They did not have a TD vehicle, I will be getting a call from the dealer once the TD vehicle is available. The Captiva surely makes a statement. Decent trim level, good legroom, nice seat configuration.

The only downside is the sales staff at the dealer looked very unhappy to see a customer walk in :-( I had to actually ask them if they want to make a sale or not is when they started getting up in slow - motion !! Wish the after sales will be better than the Sales Man's attitude.

All & all an impressive first look :-) I would say it surely merits a TD.

Cheers
Old 27th January 2008, 18:00   #18
Senior - BHPian

Oh yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Guys, guys... cool down. He had a CR-V previously and now he wants a diesel SUV, and he has Captiva as one of the choices. That makes it very clear, he doesn't need an off-roader. He needs an on-road SUV probably for the high-stance and high GC. Therefore, let's not discuss the merits of various off-roaders, he doesn't appear to be looking for one.
Well, if I had a new pearly white Grand Vitara that never gets a spot of dirt on it I guess I would say that, too!
Old 27th January 2008, 18:17   #19
BHPian

Go for Captiva if you are looking economy/power/torque of diesel, total low cost of ownership and good performance. I will be having TD this week later on.

If you're one of those craving for 4X4, TC, Sunroof and Auto DSG, then wait for few more months, GM will bring in their fully loaded Captiva at around 20 lacs (ESP)
Santa Fe will be priced higher then Captiva and so will their top end model.
What GM has done in the past 1 year, they have priced their vehicles to perfection. Captiva, considering that it's imported as CBU, is priced fine.

Bear in mind, Captiva ownership costs are way lesser than those of other SUV's mentioned.
Old 27th January 2008, 19:18   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Well, if I had a new pearly white Grand Vitara that never gets a spot of dirt on it I guess I would say that, too!
I don't know what you mean, but I usually don't shoot when it is dirty, except this one case: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...tml#post637449

BTW, there is no need to go off-topic here. Please focus on the thread topic.

V10, you don't really have too much choice. Nobody really knows when Santa Fe, Fortuner and Outlander with come out. You only have Captiva & Pajero.
Old 28th January 2008, 10:59   #21
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The Captiva without a doubt.
I read in a couple of posts here about the Pajero. Well, to be frank, the Pajero betters the Captiva in just one area. Yes, i do respect the Pajero, but the Captiva has far better on-road manner, interiors, looks, engine, trim levels than the Pajero.

The X-trail isnt a bad choice either. Its quite fast for a diesel too. Why dont u TD the X-trail and the Captiva together?

Between, the Captiva should cost around Rs 21-5 to 22 lakh OTR
Old 28th January 2008, 13:34   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
Pajero betters the Captiva in just one area.
come on Captiva is not even a rear wheel drive, it will not even go to places where a sumo can let alone the Pajero. it should not be called an SUV.
Old 28th January 2008, 16:17   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
come on Captiva is not even a rear wheel drive, it will not even go to places where a sumo can let alone the Pajero. it should not be called an SUV.
I wrote the Pajero betters the Captiva in just one area : which means off-roading. and that is what you are saying. So?

yes the Captiva aint a SUV , its a soft-roader. And 95% of times, even SUVs are driven on the roads by 95% of its owners.
Old 28th January 2008, 18:10   #24
Senior - BHPian

Hi V10,

Have you taken a look at the nissan Xtrail? Its still being sold. Very capable car. Prices are also within your reach. comfort is abt 19.9L Ex showroom Delhi and you should be able to negotiate a good discount. Its a 2.2L diesel, so adequately powered, and the parts wont fall off, although honestly, I dont think there are any quality issues on the Pajero. Perhaps your cousin has a 1 off lemon.

Captiva has received good press, but the handling is not that great IMO. However, if you have done a TD of the Captiva, Pajero & Xtrail, and you feel that the Captiva is the one for you, go ahead and get one. Its not a bad car at all. Just not what I'd buy.
Old 28th January 2008, 22:39   #25
BHPian

GM's forrester flopped in India although personally I liked it. They are desparate to get a pie of this segment hence, Captiva. Not too sure of its fate too.

Mitsubishi has created some legendary SUVs. We have Pajero and Montero already available and doing well. I would say its worth waiting for their latest in this segment, Outlander. Once you have that compare it with Captiva & Santa Fe. My sense is, you would go Outlander.
Old 29th January 2008, 17:39   #26
v10
BHPian

so does anyone know when the mitsubishi outlander is coming to india?
Old 29th January 2008, 17:58   #27
BHPian

I have a Pajero for the past 4 odd months. Its an icon for me. Always wanted it and now that I have it its pure bliss!! If you are looking at a proper off roader then look no further. Its got a classic shape and no bells or whistles that can fall off at the sight of a rough trail. It cruises well on the highway and is comfortable to drive. It does keep me from speeding though which is good. :-)

For the others you have mentioned, the review of Captiva was quite good as a soft off roader ie. village tracks. The GV had a good review. X Trail has also got good reviews but suffers from lack of service centres and expensive spares. The Outlander is 'expected' by end 2009.

trust the above helps. Rgds
Old 29th January 2008, 18:13   #28
Senior - BHPian

why can't you have a try at MONTERO...might be priced high than your budget...see if you can strecth up to that...don't have any idea about the preformance that your are looking for...but try it.
Old 30th January 2008, 10:19   #29
BANNED

Ramsagar : The montero is almost double the price of others here. 36-37 lakhs on-road
Old 4th February 2008, 11:26   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v10 View Post
so does anyone know when the mitsubishi outlander is coming to india?
Outlander is underpowered and will come only in 2.4 Petrol Engine.
However, since it is being manufactured in India, the pricing will be competitive and IMO, it will be a better package than Honda CRV.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks