Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2009, 19:02   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

If you want AT with 4x4, the Ford Endy is your only choice in the 20 lakh range. If you bump up to the 26 range the Captiva is there but it is not a true 4x4. It has an on-demand light duty AWD system which may meet most of your requirements. It will probably be more comfy than the Endy. However , it lacks the road presence of the Endy.
Old 10th September 2009, 19:45   #122
BHPian

How is recently launched 2.4L Vitara in terms of off-roading ability? How does it compare to Fortuner and Pajero?
Old 11th September 2009, 09:38   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
How is recently launched 2.4L Vitara in terms of off-roading ability? How does it compare to Fortuner and Pajero?
The 2.4 GV is a very capable machine with a complete 4x4 system including low range transfer case. It should handle most off-road conditions. The tires are highway biased tires and these will need to be changed to All-Terrains. If you are fine with 5 seater and don't mind petrol and this is a better automatic option than the Ford Endy and Captiva.
Old 11th September 2009, 11:21   #124
BHPian

Read somewhere this morning that GV has been launched with 1.9 DDiS- 129 PS engine in Europe. Expect it here in 2-3 months max. There are GV fans who were happy with 2 ltr version also and reported that 4*4 capabilities of GV are quite good. The 2.4 litre engine must have made it sweeter. A diesel GV would be a welcome move by Suzuki here. Its the import duties that make it so costly and on top of that teh petrol engine that acts as a deterrent otherwise all other aspects are reaonably good / acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
Old 3rd December 2009, 20:34   #125

[quote=shatrughna;1475243]
Hi shatrughna whatever you have put in as your expectations/ requirements for a SUV exactly match mine too. probably for many others also. You have brought out the points nicely. Let us hope we get lot of suggestions from fellow members. My observations are as follows:
TOYOTO FORTUNER : Too big and no AT. How about handling
CAPTIVA : No 4x4 and no 2nd and 3rd row AC blower vents
ENDE : Too big and ride qualities
PAJERO : Weak engine otherwise an excellent option
GV/CRV/OUTLANDER : Only petrol
X TRAIL : Very Poor serviceablity and freighting
maintenance/ spares cost
We have to wait for HYUNDAI SANTA FE or VW" TIGUAN or else
PAJERO if fitted with better engine (MONTERO"s)
SG PRAKASH
Old 3rd December 2009, 22:15   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanmugamprakas View Post
CAPTIVA: No 4x4 and no 2nd and 3rd row AC blower vents
Wrong. Captiva is 4 X 4 (LTZ Model). The only difference is it is an "On Demand" 4 X 4 rather full time 4 X 4 like Grand Vitara, Pajero and Fortuner.
Old 3rd December 2009, 22:31   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

While the old world SUV's Pajero, Fortuner and Endeavour come with a body on chassis layout with proper offroading hardware, CRV, Captiva and Outlander are crossovers which have allwheel drive but are not suitable for proper offroad driving with low GC, fragile underbody parts and absence of low ratio plus the monocoque chassis cannot take as much beating. Also the independent suspension might be good on road but a live axle is what every offroader prefers.
Old 3rd December 2009, 23:40   #128
Senior - BHPian

My PS: please donot go for Fortuner, if you want a VFM machine. My brother has one and we realised it only after we bought it and my brother drove a ford endy. of his friend. and Me too loved my old TCIC instead of fortuner. Its just what i experienced while driving the fortuner.
Old 4th December 2009, 09:51   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
My PS: please donot go for Fortuner, if you want a VFM machine. My brother has one and we realised it only after we bought it and my brother drove a ford endy. of his friend. and Me too loved my old TCIC instead of fortuner. Its just what i experienced while driving the fortuner.
Your brother can get about a 2 lakh premium right away. Ask him to sell if he is not happy. He can have a new Ford Endy and a couple of lakhs in the bank.
Old 4th December 2009, 15:05   #130
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Your brother can get about a 2 lakh premium right away. Ask him to sell if he is not happy. He can have a new Ford Endy and a couple of lakhs in the bank.
That's a nice way of looking at a perceived mistake. Lucky guy - who made the wrong decision and will earn from it.

On a serious note, all Four Cativa, Pajero, fortuner and Endy disappoint in one way or the other, and it is a question of what is most important to one.

Captiva - soft roaded and not a true SUV - but has auto+++ no AWD. Not imposing enough. Cannot match Toyota for resale or reliability.
Endy - Ladder chassis based with AUTO, with satnav, and dvd screen, but bad ride, leaf springs, no climate control, no stearing mounted controls, no AWD. Cannot match Toyota for Resale or reliability.
Pajero - Ladder chassis, Very Underpowered, good exterior looks, poor interiors, almost no features. cannot match the fortuner for reliabity for resale, best offroad, worst on road.
Fortuner: Reliable, Resale, AWD, Stearing controls, Climate control, Parking aids, ladder chassis. maybe brakes and shakey gearstick.

It is a very hard call, I think the pajero gets crossed out from most requirements and for off roading fortuner makes sense today, but the captiva and endy have and auto, for mix of offroading and auto endy makes sense, but the chassis is very bouncy to a question. Captiva is too sissy if offroading is required, but then is it?
Old 4th December 2009, 15:14   #131
Team-BHP Support

If you are open to petrol, there is the GV 2.4L which can at least come close to Toyota for reliability and allow you to offroad too.
Old 4th December 2009, 15:27   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

@ACM- Captiva auto comes with all wheel drive. Its also has ESP.
Old 4th December 2009, 16:08   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Captiva AT has a light duty on-demand 4WD System. It is predominantly a Front Wheel Drive car like most sedans. However, when wheel slip is detected a clutch pack engages the rear wheels. It is not full time AWD like a Pajero or Fortuner which can be driven in AWD all the time. The light duty 4WD systems are not meant for off-road use but just to assist in traction in slippery conditions.

The captiva AT with AWD is definitely a good buy for people who dont' plan to go off-road a lot. The captiva has a fair amount of Turbo lag since the engine is only 2 liters. Turbo has to spool up before you get the 140+ hp. Not sure how this plays out with AT as AT transmissions generally have some amount of power loss.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 4th December 2009 at 16:09.
Old 4th December 2009, 21:02   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

@4X4addict- please refer post #127, i never said Captiva is made for offroading.
Old 4th December 2009, 22:00   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
@4X4addict- please refer post #127, i never said Captiva is made for offroading.
I know mate. I was just highlighting that it is not true AWD. It's normally runs as a FWD car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks