Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2014, 18:58   #481
Senior - BHPian

Re: What MUV for self-driven urban nuclear family?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifica View Post
Hi,

Now that my current car has been badly flood-damaged, I am beginning to look for a replacement. I'm quite clear on what I want:

Must Have:
  1. MUV/minivan with three rows of seats (flexible fold-flat seating)
  2. Automatic transmission
  3. Front and side (curtain) airbags
  4. Separate AC for rear passengers
  5. Comfortable front and middle row seats (last row will usually be folded down for the dog)
  6. Reliability

The problem is there doesn't seem to be anything I can think of that matches these requirements other than some SUVs, but I want a people carrier, not an off-roader.

Innova/Eritga/Mobilio/Enjoy/Evalia/Xylo/Safari: No A/T, no side airbags

Aria/Yeti: No A/T

Fortuner/Endeavour/Scorpio: No side airbags

CR-V/Grand Vitara/Outlander: Only two rows of seats, doubtful about side airbags

The only option seems to be to look for a used Rexton A/T or a used Chevy Captiva (the face lifted model apparently comes with A/T, six airbags, and rear AC, and is a soft-roader), but is there anything else out there I can go for new?

I really wish there was an A/T Ertiga with side airbags or an Aria with A/T.
The Rexton is quite good but from what I've heard (on this forum and from other sources) the last row of seating is a joke. Stay away from the Captiva as it will come with huge maintenance issues.

Thankfully for you, Tata will be solving your dilemma with the addition of an autobox to the Aria. Not sure yet whether this will be a traditional torque converter unit, continuously variable tranmission, dual clutch or a semi-automatic, but everyone expects to see the Aria equipped with an Automatic option soon and I think there have even been a few test mules spotted. So just hang in there

Cheers!
Old 31st July 2014, 19:29   #482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
The Rexton is quite good but from what I've heard (on this forum and from other sources) the last row of seating is a joke. Stay away from the Captiva as it will come with huge maintenance issues.

Thankfully for you, Tata will be solving your dilemma with the addition of an autobox to the Aria. Not sure yet whether this will be a traditional torque converter unit, continuously variable tranmission, dual clutch or a semi-automatic, but everyone expects to see the Aria equipped with an Automatic option soon and I think there have even been a few test mules spotted. So just hang in there

Cheers!
Thanks for the warning. I didn't know the Captiva was a maintenance hog. There aren't too many ownership reviews of Captivas on the forum.

Apropos the Aria A/T, Tata has been showing it off in Geneva for years now. I don't know if they'll ever launch the wretched thing. I wish they would; it'd tick all the boxes.
Old 31st July 2014, 23:26   #483
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifica View Post
Hi,

Now that my current car has been badly flood-damaged, I am beginning to look for a replacement. I'm quite clear on what I want:

Must Have:
  1. MUV/minivan with three rows of seats (flexible fold-flat seating)
  2. Automatic transmission
  3. Front and side (curtain) airbags
  4. Separate AC for rear passengers
  5. Comfortable front and middle row seats (last row will usually be folded down for the dog)
  6. Reliability

Nice to Have
  1. Cruise control
  2. Automatic climate control
  3. Leather reclining front and middle rows
  4. Built-in navigation and reversing camera

I'd prefer a diesel, but can live with a petrol. I can spend around 1.5 million.

It'll be mostly city driven (office commute, shopping runs) with the occasional highway trip. Flexible seating is required for long distance trips and to accommodate visiting relatives and airport/station runs.

The problem is there doesn't seem to be anything I can think of that matches these requirements other than some SUVs, but I want a people carrier, not an off-roader.

Innova/Eritga/Mobilio/Enjoy/Evalia/Xylo/Safari: No A/T, no side airbags

Aria/Yeti: No A/T

Fortuner/Endeavour/Scorpio: No side airbags

CR-V/Grand Vitara/Outlander: Only two rows of seats, doubtful about side airbags

The only option seems to be to look for a used Rexton A/T or a used Chevy Captiva (the face lifted model apparently comes with A/T, six airbags, and rear AC, and is a soft-roader), but is there anything else out there I can go for new?

I really wish there was an A/T Ertiga with side airbags or an Aria with A/T.
The Endeavour ticks all your boxes of "Must Haves" including the side air bags and most of the "Nice To Haves". Check out the Endeavour and it will not disappoint.
Old 1st August 2014, 14:54   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
The Endeavour ticks all your boxes of "Must Haves" including the side air bags and most of the "Nice To Haves". Check out the Endeavour and it will not disappoint.
Thanks, MAS. But the Endy has side curtain airbags only for the first row and not for the middle and third rows.

Also, going by Samurai's official Team-BHP review, the middle row seats seem too low to be comfortable over a long distance ride.

Finally, its a really old model and one that apparently is due to be replaced soon. I'm pretty sure the Endy, as it is now, is ruled out.
Old 1st August 2014, 17:28   #485
BHPian

Re: Which 7 Seater SUV for 17-25L? Endeavour vs Fortuner vs Captiva vs Pajero vs Sant

After lot of searching Santa fe 2011 in da house, 38322 km on the odo, white colour , 4wd MT, will update story and pics very soon in a seperate thread
Old 2nd August 2014, 22:41   #486
BHPian

Re: Which 7 Seater SUV for 17-25L? Endeavour vs Fortuner vs Captiva vs Pajero vs Sant

Mods
Please delete my last post, said Santa fe got cancelled due to dubious vehicle record and shady history. sorry for inconvenience
Old 12th August 2014, 01:21   #487
BHPian

Query about an SUV, options and pricing

So, decided to pick up a 2nd vehicle, SUV for interstate travel. Reasons for this are that I am planning to take some time off to spend time with family on the road, do some things and go some places before life gets in the way.
Anyways, on to the relevant material at hand,
Looked at a couple of vehicles, figured a grand vitara 2.4 AT to be a perfect fit, budget wise it was sweet ( range of 5 to 8), plus if I could CNG fit it, it would help with fuel efficiency and so on.
Alas before that happened, the GV in question sold out, as did another and a third.
Sensing a trend in my luck with used GVs, I turned to look at other vehicles, with a relatively flexible budget.
Chanced upon this ad on our very own TBHP classified section,
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...llenger-.html/
The Mitsubishi Challenger 1997 with 100k on the odometer.
This too, had been sold just a few days prior to my query, the owner informed me.
There is another Mitsubishi Challenger for sale in Hyderabad, a 3.0 AT version going for 7.5 L. I am waiting for the owner's phone to get active again and get in touch with him to see if it makes sense to purchase it.
While in the market still, a friend contacted me regarding a 2011 Ford 4x4 AT with 23000 odd kms on the odometer, sparingly used, going for 13.5 L or so. While it requires a fair bit of work on the interiors, the car seems to be in otherwise decent condition.
Thoughts? Suggestions?
I am totally lost here, wondering if the Challenger makes sense, but it has 140k kms on it already, what about the spare parts?
The Ford seems like a smart choice but then it's a bit on the higher side and then it will require work too.

Thanks all and sorry for the muddled format of the post.
ANg
Old 12th August 2014, 06:34   #488
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Query about an SUV, options and pricing

IMHO in the pre-owned segment consider Fortuner and Grand Vitara. Both have low running maintenance costs and parts are reasonably priced. Comparatively Ford Endy repairs are quite costly and so are for Mitsubishi offerings including Pajero's.
sudev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 07:16   #489
Senior - BHPian

I would not recommend a used Ford after 140k kilometers on the odo. If you are planning for out of state travel with family the last thing you want is a breakdown where spares are not available..
Agree with sudev, about Fortuner.
One question - why are you looking for AT only? On long interstate drives MTs are in fact as comfortable - as you don't have to change gears ever so often as in city traffic. Besides, MTs are a lot easier to come by on the market - so you would have more choice.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 09:47   #490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anghammarad View Post
So, decided to pick up a 2nd vehicle, SUV for interstate travel. Reasons for this are that I am planning to take some time off to spend time with family on the road, do some things and go some places before life gets in the way.
Anyways, on to the relevant material at hand,
Looked at a couple of vehicles, figured a grand vitara 2.4 AT to be a perfect fit, budget wise it was sweet ( range of 5 to 8), plus if I could CNG fit it, it would help with fuel efficiency and so on.
Alas before that happened, the GV in question sold out, as did another and a third.
ANg
Are you sure it was a Grand Vitara 2.4AT that was quoted in the price range that you mentioned? I had seen a few in Pune, in the price of around 5L, but they were all 2.0 MT with poor service records.

You could also consider the Mitsubishi Outlander. Quite a few in Mumbai but you may need to stretch your budget.
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 11:47   #491
BHPian

You could look at a few Nissan X trails on Carwale, the older ones are in 9L range and new ones (facelifted) upwards of 13L. I would stay away from the Challenger as you rightly mentioned, parts would be a problem and expensive to maintain.

There was a GV for sale at Sai Service Worli-Lower Parel, do check with them, it was their in house car maybe belonged to their Directors.Plus you would get the Maruti Tru Value advantage, provided they still have the vehicle. good luck.
TRANSAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 12:47   #492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
@Pacifica, the XUV has side airbags option for the front seats, but no A/T. The A/T is scheduled for mid 2015 I think. As mentioned in the XUV thread, the 3rd row is indeed cramped.
Hi Mooza,

The XUV website shows full front, side, and curtain airbags for the first and second rows in the W8 model.

I can live with the non-existent boot space as 99% of the time the third row will be folded down anyway.

Now if only Mahindra will plonk an A/T into the XUV...
Attached Thumbnails
Which 7 Seater SUV for 17-25L? Endeavour vs Fortuner vs Captiva vs Pajero vs Santa-Fe-safe01.jpg  

Pacifica is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 12:56   #493
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
I would not recommend a used Ford after 140k kilometers on the odo. If you are planning for out of state travel with family the last thing you want is a breakdown where spares are not available..
Hope you know, under the skin Endeavour is a Japanese vehicle, its more Mazda than being Ford. I have not come across any long term reliability concerns.
.anshuman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 01:49   #494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
IMHO in the pre-owned segment consider Fortuner and Grand Vitara. Both have low running maintenance costs and parts are reasonably priced. Comparatively Ford Endy repairs are quite costly and so are for Mitsubishi offerings including Pajero's.
Am looking for anything that fits really, and yes that was a huge consideration. I would have opted for the Fortuner, but I think that it's terribly overpriced. If it had been in the 20 range OTR, I think I would have considered stretching budget and picking up a brand new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
One question - why are you looking for AT only?
The Ford has only 23k on the odometer, but yes, I had not considered the breakdown angle. As far as ATs vs MT is concerned, I have regretfully gotten complacent with the AT Civic I have, and having been spoiled thus, just find the AT models easier and more relaxing than an MT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
Are you sure it was a Grand Vitara 2.4AT that was quoted in the price range that you mentioned?
You could also consider the Mitsubishi Outlander. Quite a few in Mumbai but you may need to stretch your budget.
Yes Sridhar it was, I was quite surprised because I figured the 2.4's would be more expensive. Outlander works too, in fact the wife is partial to them, but have not been able to find a satisfactory one with less than 40k on the odometer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSAM View Post
You could look at a few Nissan X trails on Carwale, the older ones are in 9L range and new ones (facelifted) upwards of 13L. I would stay away from the Challenger as you rightly mentioned, parts would be a problem and expensive to maintain.

There was a GV for sale at Sai Service Worli-Lower Parel, do check with them, it was their in house car maybe belonged to their Directors.Plus you would get the Maruti Tru Value advantage, provided they still have the vehicle. good luck.
Thanks Transam, I am confused about the Transam, and will contact the Sai Service Worli tommorow itself.
Nissan X trail isn't an option I had looked at, figured Nissan would be a problem because of maintenance.

Thanks everyone , all the advice is very much appreciated.
Old 13th August 2014, 08:36   #495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anghammarad View Post

The Ford has only 23k on the odometer, but yes, I had not considered the breakdown angle. As far as ATs vs MT is concerned, I have regretfully gotten complacent with the AT Civic I have, and having been spoiled thus, just find the AT models easier and more relaxing than an MT.

Yes Sridhar it was, I was quite surprised because I figured the 2.4's would be more expensive. Outlander works too, in fact the wife is partial to them, but have not been able to find a satisfactory one with less than 40k on the odometer.

Thanks everyone , all the advice is very much appreciated.
Once you drive an AT vehicle you are spoiled for life!! Do not compromise on the AT aspect.
My problem is that the Outlander at around 9-10Lakhs is out of our projected budget. So will start searching for Grand Vitaras from September.
Getting a 40K run model of Outlander would increase the asking price to 10.5 lakhs plus. Go directly to the dealership, as a lot of the existing owners want to upgrade to the Pajero Sport. 60-70K run units, if carefully maintained would have atleast 1.5L kms life balance. You will need to make a budget provision for suspension overhaul @ 1L kms - applies to all vehicles.

A friend of mine, who is still managing to maintain a Peguot 309, is quite emphatic that Outlander spares are easily available in Mumbai. Will pick his brains in a couple of days for sources.

I have the full workshop manuals for both Grand Vitara & Outlander if you need.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks