Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2014, 13:01   #421
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Best 7 Seater SUV in price bracket INR22L-30L (no resale- service (ASS) considere

My choice would be the Pajero Sport. Reading the highlights from your test drive experience, I think you liked the Pajero Sport most. Can't go wrong with what your heart says
A friend's family bought the Pajero Sport last year and they were in a similar dilemma and decided on the Pajero Sport - they're happy with that choice.

Suggest you read these if you haven't already:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...r-upgrade.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...nta-fe-23.html

Last edited by NPV : 26th March 2014 at 13:07.
Old 26th March 2014, 16:35   #422
gemi_kk

Re: Best 7 Seater SUV in price bracket INR22L-30L (no resale- service (ASS) considere

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I am sorry but I beg to differ. Why wouldn't someone want to claim something on warranty?

A good warranty, is indicative of the company's support to their customers and there could be no better relief when buying a car than that knowledge.
If one or the other part of my car keeps failing and if i keep on claiming warranty. Then would i suggest this car to someone else? The answer is NO.

Warranty indicates the company's commitment to quality. In order to protect customer from any manufacturing defects, Manufacturer Warranty is provided.

The definition of warranty has been changed by companies to support their business, so i don't see anything wrong with your statement.

Old 27th March 2014, 10:07   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikhilReddy View Post
I am planning to buy a SUV within INR 22L-30L on road.

Following are the requirements:

- Best ride comfort in city (70%) and on highway (30%)
- Best safety features.
- Should be mechanically trouble free and minimum on maintenance.
- Excellent build quality.
- Should be able to seat 7 (5 Adults and 2 Kids)
- Prefer 4X4 but willing to compromise this features as safety and comfort takes precedence.

I am not looking at resale value as I want to keep the SUV for more than 7-8 years.

I have shortlisted and test driven the following SUVs:

Pajero Sport (have one dealer in Hyderabad so no issues of servicing)
- Excellent build quality and solid mechanicals.
- Good ride in the city and highways.
- Good Safety features.
- No need for all time 4 wheel drive (use it as you need it)
- Can seat 7
- only one model 4X4 available
- have a strong build to last feeling.
- not very common on the roads so that exclusive feel. But ppl know Pajero brand.
- Best road visibility amongst all the listed SUVs (the only other best road visibility vehicle is TATA Safari Storme)

Hyundai Santa Fe
- Excellent interiors.
- Best safety features
- not great ride quality in city and highway.
- was not happy with the build quality. you don't get long lasting feel.
- no steering feedback at all.
- good road visibility but not as great as Pajero Sport

Fortuner 4X4
- Drives like a car, excellent clutch not as hard as Pajero Sport.
- Felt dashboard was a bit high so don't give you a commanding feel of Pajero.
- Innova like interiors was a let-down.
- Looks big but found interior space (leg room, head room) less than other SUVs but seats are comfy.
- Not great ride quality in city but good ride quality on highways.
- Build quality is not as good as Pajero Sport.
- felt initial vibrations driving on slightly bumpy roads.
- big A pillar obstructs visibility from side.

Mahindra SSongyong Rexton
- Scores on all the points of fortuner.
- interiors are really good.
- I felt issues with driver ergonomics.
- Good safety features (4 airbags)
- no build to last feel but better than Santa fe.
- Interior space is shorter than Pajero Sport.
- Decent ride quality (better than fortuner and Santa fe but not as good as Pajero Sport)
- Excellent price (value for money)

your opinion matters so do pour in your thoughts and impressions with reasons.

Thank you all in advance
NikhilReddy, is as in the same situation 2 months back

If you are OK with a soft roader and the price of the Santa Fe (and also ok with a back seat only capable of seating kids for short distances) then teh Santa Fe is your Best Option. its electronics are also be the Best. for me personally i did not want to pay so much for a Hyundai badge

For a full blown SUV with true 7 seats the only comparison is between a Fortuner and Pajero sports (Rextons last row is only marginally better than a Santa Fe but not recommended for that)

The Fortuner AT is better for city driving in terms of drive-ability but its driving comfort is relatively much on the lower side due to its suspension. changing the suspension to Tiens (around 1.4-1,8L) takes it to a different level and well worth it.(despite a 25mm drop in clearance)

Economically (if looking at a 4-5 year ownership) this is the best option even with an outflow for the suspension. an i do nagree with Nilanjans comment. get the 4WD it has a higher assurance while driving although the 4x4 option has wider turning radius and may seem useless in city condition to be on 100%

The Pajero sport (I own one now) , is a good vehicle in terms of seating comfort ,although its gear ratio is not as much suited for city driving as the Fortuner AT or even the MT
The only 2 areas of concern on the Pajero Sport are
- Warranty/service - small numbers of options.The feedback from several folks on the bangalore dealer has been very good . And my experience on the A.S.Srvc for the first service as well as small things like the RC card has been great so far. ditto with some of the owners here with whom i corresponded
- Mitsubishis future - not sure of this but from the reports i read it is here long term with a clearer focus on SUVs

Having done more than 2000kms in the < 2 months with 2 long distance trips and also the "wow" factor of not having that many on the roads this has so far been very satisfying for me.
my views here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...ml#post3342264
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...ml#post3336327

The added advantage of an On-the-fly shift into 4x4 has been amazing. I do take smaller roads (if you can call it that) once in a while and the control you get in a 4x4 mode is remarkable and something i find a great option to sift into and shift out when you get to the main road
sh@rpshooter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2014, 12:08   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n:CorE View Post

Drivability for me means a lag-less turbo-engine and you've got to admit the Fort scores a point over the Paj for that. I have never really taken her up to the red-line ever because a car of this size really isn't meant to do that. Have my Cruze & GT for that

In terms of design, its always subjective. The looks of the current-gen Fortuner really work for me. The front to me is really majestic and imposing while on the other hand could be too much chrome for someone else. So its highly personal I believe.
Hi n:CorE,

Been a bit busy at work so havent been able to reply until now. Perhaps the word "painful" for the Turbo Lag in the the Pajero is rather strong. It isn't so bad that one can't live with it. It certainly isn't as much as a Swift for example. In my case, over-all driveability denotes much more than Turbo Lag. Say you are ambling along at 120 KmpH and need to overtake some one moving along at 118 KmpH. To do so safely, one would need to accelerate so one can quickly go past them. Say around 130 kmpH. If you are at 80 KmpH on country roads, get cut off by a tractor/auto/HH Splendor, you'd need to drop speed, keep power on tap and after overtaking, get back up to speed quickly. Again, this just seems more effortless in the Pajero and the Fortuner. It is in these conditions that the Pajero works better than the Fortuner. I'm not saying that the Fortuner isn't quick enough. It certainly is, but after driving the Pajero, doing so in the Fortuner seems to take too much time. I never red-ling the Pajero, there is no point to it. On open roads in the South, there are times when one can safely cruise at 180 KmpH. I don't feel stable doing this in the Fortuner, but I do in the Pajero.
At this point, one is basically comparing two very capable SUV's and one can't go wrong with either.

As far as the design is concerned, I should have been more specific. In terms of the aesthetics, I too admire the Fortuner's butch looks, but I must admit, I am not the biggest fan of the Chrome :P.
As a materials engineer by education, design for me involves the functionality of components, quality of materials, ergonomics etc. Throwing all HP/Torque equations out of the window, I find the Cabin of the Pajero Sport to offer better visibility, better choice of plastics, switches, dials etc. The car feels smoother to drive and Off -Road articulation and system is better. In terms of looks, Fortuner has a better road presence and tugs more at my heart strings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh@rpshooter View Post

The Fortuner AT is better for city driving in terms of drive-ability but its driving comfort is relatively much on the lower side due to its suspension. changing the suspension to Tiens (around 1.4-1,8L) takes it to a different level and well worth it.(despite a 25mm drop in clearance)

Economically (if looking at a 4-5 year ownership) this is the best option even with an outflow for the suspension. an i do nagree with Nilanjans comment. get the 4WD it has a higher assurance while driving although the 4x4 option has wider turning radius and may seem useless in city condition to be on 100%

The added advantage of an On-the-fly shift into 4x4 has been amazing. I do take smaller roads (if you can call it that) once in a while and the control you get in a 4x4 mode is remarkable and something i find a great option to sift into and shift out when you get to the main road
Sh@rpshooter,

Do you know anything about the long term viability of Teins in off road situations? Certainly on road this suspension system is superb. We drove one with it and it makes a world of difference to the drive experience!

I agree, whichever SUV NikhilReddy buys should have a 4x4 system, it offers great opportunity for fun.

The Pajero Sport 4x4 system is great fun! I constantly try and look for opportunities to use it. 7,000 Kms and counting and I find I wish they were all done in 4x4 mode
imp! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2014, 13:36   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post

Been a bit busy at work so havent been able to reply until now. Perhaps the word "painful" for the Turbo Lag in the the Pajero is rather strong. It isn't so bad that one can't live with it. It certainly isn't as much as a Swift for example. In my case, over-all driveability denotes much more than Turbo Lag. Say you are ambling along at 120 KmpH and need to overtake some one moving along at 118 KmpH. To do so safely, one would need to accelerate so one can quickly go past them. Say around 130 kmpH. If you are at 80 KmpH on country roads, get cut off by a tractor/auto/HH Splendor, you'd need to drop speed, keep power on tap and after overtaking, get back up to speed quickly. Again, this just seems more effortless in the Pajero and the Fortuner. It is in these conditions that the Pajero works better than the Fortuner. I'm not saying that the Fortuner isn't quick enough. It certainly is, but after driving the Pajero, doing so in the Fortuner seems to take too much time. I never red-ling the Pajero, there is no point to it. On open roads in the South, there are times when one can safely cruise at 180 KmpH. I don't feel stable doing this in the Fortuner, but I do in the Pajero.
At this point, one is basically comparing two very capable SUV's and one can't go wrong with either.

As far as the design is concerned, I should have been more specific. In terms of the aesthetics, I too admire the Fortuner's butch looks, but I must admit, I am not the biggest fan of the Chrome :P.
As a materials engineer by education, design for me involves the functionality of components, quality of materials, ergonomics etc. Throwing all HP/Torque equations out of the window, I find the Cabin of the Pajero Sport to offer better visibility, better choice of plastics, switches, dials etc. The car feels smoother to drive and Off -Road articulation and system is better. In terms of looks, Fortuner has a better road presence and tugs more at my heart strings!

Sh@rpshooter,

Do you know anything about the long term viability of Teins in off road situations? Certainly on road this suspension system is superb. We drove one with it and it makes a world of difference to the drive experience!

I agree, whichever SUV NikhilReddy buys should have a 4x4 system, it offers great opportunity for fun.

The Pajero Sport 4x4 system is great fun! I constantly try and look for opportunities to use it. 7,000 Kms and counting and I find I wish they were all done in 4x4 mode
You may perhaps be correct on that front as I myself haven't driven a Pajero Sport that extensively. Honestly I was pretty much sold on the Pajero just for its exclusivity and comfier ride. We have 3 fortuners in my family and all of the variants 4x2 MT, 4x2 AT, 4x4 MT.

But, in the end of the day I knew, the kind of after sales I'd get from my local Toyota dealer will be just much more relaxing and much less of a bother to own this car. There is only 1 Mitsu dealership in Mumbai if im not mistaken, that too in completely the other side of town. Despite its flaws I'm very much happy with my Fortuner. Although its now become common, it just doesn't fail to turn heads after a nice detailing session and I still maintain that 3.0 D4D doesn't dissapoint me in anyway be it highway cruising, high-speed overtaking manoeuvres and urban drivability

4x4 for me was a complete waste for me as almost most of the bad roads even no roads for that matter can be easily tackled with high GC and chunky tyres which the 4x2 has. Shelling out extra cash for additional hardware that I wouldn't even use and would break into my fuel economy (in the full time 4x4 system) didn't make sense to me at all. Agreed its nice to have on-the-fly (a la Pajero) but full time, I don't think so.

Also, your confidence in the quality of materials & plastic in your car lets me believe you happened to pick up your car from the first lot which I must point out was CBU if i'm not mistaken? Or have the achieved those levels of quality on the CKD units too ?

Regards,
Old 27th March 2014, 14:56   #426
BHPian

Quote:

But, in the end of the day I knew, the kind of after sales I'd get from my local Toyota dealer will be just much more relaxing and much less of a bother to own this car. Despite its flaws I'm very much happy with my Fortuner. Although its now become common, it just doesn't fail to turn heads after a nice detailing session and I still maintain that 3.0 D4D doesn't dissapoint me in anyway be it highway cruising, high-speed overtaking manoeuvres and urban drivability
I completely agree with your sentiments. The Fortuner is and always has been a very capable car. Its road presence is fantastic, I routinely get bullied by it in my Laura TSI, there have been times Fortuners have tried bullying me in my Pajero. Most times I just wave them by, sometimes I give em hell The respect that motorists give it is more than what I get in my Pajero. Driving the car is great fun, of that there is no doubt. The differences I note here are mainly for the benefit of people comparing the two cars as there is very little information about the Paj in India. They are both very good at what they do.

Quote:

4x4 for me was a complete waste for me as almost most of the bad roads even no roads for that matter can be easily tackled with high GC and chunky tyres which the 4x2 has. Shelling out extra cash for additional hardware that I wouldn't even use and would break into my fuel economy (in the full time 4x4 system) didn't make sense to me at all. Agreed its nice to have on-the-fly (a la Pajero) but full time, I don't think so.

Regards,

I agree that for standard driving conditions, or lack of, a 4x4 is just over kill. Since both the SUV's will last 500,000 Km with good maintenance, I figure it is worth the extra investment if someone thinks they are going to go off road even once a year. I love going to Coorg and am waiting for the Monsoon season where I hope to drive off the road on occasion!

Quote:

Also, your confidence in the quality of materials & plastic in your car lets me believe you happened to pick up your car from the first lot which I must point out was CBU if i'm not mistaken? Or have the achieved those levels of quality on the CKD units too ?

Regards,
I just bought my car last Diwali, it is very much a CKD! At the CBU pricing, I would have picked the Fortuner with my eyes shut. One of the biggest gripes I have with the Pajero is that they have done away with the MFD and replaced it with an ancient and rather terrible touch screen. This has also caused panel gaps due to the touchscreen mounting bezel. Only place in the car to have one. I would throw it out and put the MFD back in, but its a rather expensive piece of kit.
imp! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2014, 15:19   #427
BHPian

Quote:

Sh@rpshooter,

The vehicle i am aware of had it for over a year and the owner, being associated to Toyota went for it over others due to its reliability and i believe they are more robust than the standard ones anyway. but again this vehicle was not used in Offroading so i am not really sure.

Considering that it lowers the clearance by 25mm, i would think some other modification to lift up the Chassis would need to be thought of.

I think you can find its review in Australian and SA forums as well.
Old 27th March 2014, 15:54   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Driving the car is great fun, of that there is no doubt. The differences I note here are mainly for the benefit of people comparing the two cars as there is very little information about the Paj in India. They are both very good at what they do.
I just bought my car last Diwali, it is very much a CKD! At the CBU pricing, I would have picked the Fortuner with my eyes shut. ...
Agree with you. they both are really good vehicles and have their own Pros and Cons. the fact that there are very few of the Pajeros around is a +ve (exclusivity) as well as a -ve

As an economical decision (from the head) the fortuner is what I would have picked anytime.
But to put in a word for the pajero, i really loved driving it, its back seats are good for short distances and I've had 2 decent sized adults sitting for upto 20 km rides pretty comfortably. not as good as a Innova but not a discomfort.
Old 28th March 2014, 14:11   #429
BHPian

Re: Which 7 Seater SUV for 17-25L? Endeavour vs Fortuner vs Captiva vs Pajero vs Sant

Looks like Mitsubishi is ready to take on the T-Fort AT, just came across this on ndtv.com

http://auto.ndtv.com/news/mitsubishi...from=home-auto
Old 1st July 2014, 15:33   #430
BHPian

Re: Which 7 Seater SUV for 17-25L? Endeavour vs Fortuner vs Captiva vs Pajero vs Sant

I need help...I am not right if this is the right forum. I currently own a Chevrolet Optra Magnum and need to upgrade. I was looking at Chevy Captiva as I think I might get a loyalty bonus. Do not have a very large family and my city driving...Delhi...Gurgaon....Noida has increased thus looking at a automatic version. I can stretch my budget to about 22-23L on road. Would request your help in choosing the right and the best vehicle as I am very confused and this is the best forum to turn to when confused.
Old 1st July 2014, 16:56   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmalik30 View Post
Do not have a very large family
If you don't want a seven-seater consider Sedans, they are any day better than SUV's.

Quote:
my city driving...Delhi...Gurgaon....Noida has increased thus looking at a automatic version. I can stretch my budget to about 22-23L on road.
As per your budget consider
  • Volkswagen Jetta AT
  • Skoda Octavia AT

Quote:
this is the best forum to turn to when confused.
Yeah buddy
Regards.
KING DYSP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 18:47   #432
BHPian

I was actually looking at Sedans and Skoda Octavia/ Superb was a very strong option and went through a lot of comments reviews about Skoda's average sales and how VW might just shut Skoda operations plus the Diesel engine feedback. Thus started looking towards the SUV segment. As I have owned the Chevy Optra Magnum for 5 years now and want to move to a higher segment and thus started looking at SUV's as none of the Sedans would match what Optra Magnum has given me over the 5 years. Would have spent about 45000 on maintainance. Just completed 40,000 kms.
Old 1st July 2014, 21:59   #433
BHPian

I would suggest looking at the Ssangyong Rexton.. Decent driving characteristics, well loaded with features, extremely comfortable, interior is easily better than most of the competition, unbelievable prices and best of all, Mahindra will treat you like a king.
Tabasco Sauce is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 22:16   #434
D4D
BHPian

If I were you, I would blindly put my money on toyota fortuner 2WD AT.
Reasons:
  • Legendary Japanese reliability. Endeavor/Captiva/Koleos/Rexton are reliable, but a 10 year old fortuner(with 100k kms on odo) will get better resale value than the other cars mentioned
  • New 5 speed AT will be a better than the older "good" 4 speed AT
  • The quality to Toyota's ASS is generally very good

It might be more than INR 23 lakh on road though

I have a friend who has an Endeavor for the last five years and with regular maintenance, it's not had any problems at all.

Sorry, but I don't personally know owners of Captiva/Koleos/Rexton. But do check then out.

Santa Fe will cost you upwards of INR 30 lakh.

Quote:
looking at Chevy Captiva as I think I might get a loyalty bonus
If Chevy ASS has been good in your area and you can get a good deal on captiva, just talk to owners and make sure that the car suits your need. If you don't need those 7 seats, try Cruze.

Quote:
Do not have a very large family and my city driving...Delhi...Gurgaon....Noida has increased thus looking at a automatic version
Diesel Automatic SUVs are not necessary if not for those 7 seats. Diesel AT sedans will give you better FE.

Quote:
I was actually looking at Sedans and Skoda Octavia/ Superb
VAG diesels are good. It's their ATs which had problems.

Octavia is the better car as it's a whole new platform. Preferably avoid the Superb. The only thing you need to check on (for VAG cars) is ASS and DSG reliability. Too early to comment on reliability of DSG of the new Octavia.

Alternately, buy a Corolla CVT and spend the rest $$$ on fuel.

There's one more diesel option- Elantra diesel AT. But no reviews on that on TBHP so far.

Do read this:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-changers.html

Last edited by D4D : 1st July 2014 at 22:18.
D4D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 12:23   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I need help...I am not right if this is the right forum. I currently own a Chevrolet Optra Magnum and need to upgrade. I was looking at Chevy Captiva as I think I might get a loyalty bonus. Do not have a very large family and my city driving...Delhi...Gurgaon....Noida has increased thus looking at a automatic version. I can stretch my budget to about 22-23L on road. Would request your help in choosing the right and the best vehicle as I am very confused and this is the best forum to turn to when confused.

As a Captiva owner, let me add my two cents here.

Captiva is a good vehicle- Ive been driving one for over 2 years now. BUT, buying a new one today doesnt make sense for the following reasons:

1. The entry level manual is 23.xx Lakhs ex showroom- Simply too expensive since you are looking at close to 26L OTR. Automatic is close to 30.

2. While the Captiva is very reliable, GM service in NCR is crap. please factor that in. So if you ever need some major repari, your car will remain stranded for a while.

3. Captive is a sales failure. Sad but True. Hence I am not too optimistic of its future in india and how long GM will continue to sell it. Resale is pathetic even today, 5 years from now it will be the pits.

So if you look at it from a practical point of view, please avoid the Captiva.

Similar arguments may apply for the Koleos.

As re. the rexton, its great VFM and being a Mahindra, spares shouldnt be an issue in the next 4-5 years even if its not manufactured in india presently. However, the A.S.S. may be a question mark.

So you are truly only left with Fortuner as a viable option if you are only looking at an AT.

Hope this helps
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks