Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2014, 18:07   #391
BHPian

Re: Which 7 Seater SUV for 17-25L? Endeavour vs Fortuner vs Captiva vs Pajero vs Sant

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Let me ask the question that got asked few posts back: does someone have an idea how good is the 5 speed AT in Fortuner, in terms of reliability and otherwise?

Also, is it just me or are there actually a good number of Automatic Fortuners being sold? I base this impression on AT badging spotted on roads, it's too frequent to be a coincidence.

Why I ask is, I have a relative looking for something around the 17L price point, and only three criteria are important:
AT is an absolute must have
Resale since the vehicle won't be used much and might be sold off in a few years.
Back Seat comfort

Used vehicle is preferable, thus putting the Fortuner in contention. I know it won't fulfill the comfort criteria, but the other two are non-negotiable for him. Any inputs would be highly appreciated. SUV is preferred but not mandatory.
A reliability of any Toyota is a no brainer. it is really good and that along with economics of maintenance and resale its strongest features
But at the 17L are you looking at Used ? not sure of the availabiity assuming the 5 speed is I presume a new model in 2013 (older was 4 speed if i remember right)
Comfort wise it is better only in terms of changing the gear..i did not like the throw of the MT
sh@rpshooter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2014, 12:59   #392
BHPian

Re: Which 7 Seater SUV for 17-25L? Endeavour vs Fortuner vs Captiva vs Pajero vs Sant

I took a test drive of the Fortuner AT last week and found it alright. Nothing too great either in terms of response.
Its selling good volumes and what I was told at the dealer is that out of 10 T-forts sold about 4 are 4x2 AT, another 4 are 4x2 MT and only about 2 are 4x4 MT.
Old 17th February 2014, 18:33   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh@rpshooter View Post
But at the 17L are you looking at Used ? not sure of the availabiity assuming the 5 speed is I presume a new model in 2013 (older was 4 speed if i remember right)...
Thanks for your inputs Sharpshooter, so you think 17L odd is too less to get the 5 speed one? I checked on used car valuation and it gave an estimate of 17-18L for a 2013 AT in Delhi/Chd. As for availability, there is no hurry as such, so can afford to wait till one is available.

Also, for some reason there are a good deal of Fortuners being sold in used car market in Chd/Punjab region from what I've noticed on OLX and the likes.

And like I mentioned earlier, pointers to other options would be much appreciated. Another option is to go for a new Innova, but their family doesn't like it much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiteshs77 View Post
I took a test drive of the Fortuner AT last week and found it alright. Nothing too great either in terms of response.
Its selling good volumes and what I was told at the dealer is that out of 10 T-forts sold about 4 are 4x2 AT, another 4 are 4x2 MT and only about 2 are 4x4 MT.
Which means that there indeed are a good number of Fortuner AT's plying the road. Thanks for the confirmation!

Last edited by avisidhu : 17th February 2014 at 18:37.
Old 17th February 2014, 18:52   #394
BHPian

Hi avsidhu, maybe the prices in CHD is lower than than other places, so it should be ok.. i am not too aware of the pricing.

Innova Vs fortuner is a very personal decision. For city driving for 7+ seaters with focus on ride quality the Innova is better (looks aside) but for Butch looks, powerful/premium feel at the expense of ride quality , the fortuner is better.
If you go for the fortuner the AT is a better option.

Both are failsafe options economically.
Old 23rd February 2014, 13:39   #395
BHPian

I am looking at buying a new SUV, have zeroed in on fortuner, but am very confused with AT vs 4x4. I would really like to buy the AT but the absence of VSC, EBD and BA (yes, the toyota website mentions EBD and BA as optional accessory for 4x4MT only!) is making be jittery.

The reason I am inclined towards AT is that fortuner with its big engine and massive ground clearance can do mild offroading anyway. I plan to take the vehicle to leh sometime next year and am told that most of the vehicles that do circuit in those regions are 4x2 - even few of our Tbhpians have taken their sedans and 4x2 SUV to these places- so really the added comfort of the AT is appealing given above. But for the safety specs that AT lacks.

So the question to fellow T-fort owners is

1: Is it true that AT lacks VSC, EBD and BA? or only VSC.

2: How important is VSC for a large SUV like this?

Any input is appreciated

thanks
-s
Old 23rd February 2014, 14:50   #396
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smekad View Post

1: Is it true that AT lacks VSC, EBD and BA? or only VSC.

2: How important is VSC for a large SUV like this?
VSC is Toyota's name for ESP. Please search the forum for discussions on ESP. In the case of an emergency swerve, the ESP system is even more crucial for SUVs with higher center of gravity as they are more prone to lose control and in some cases even topple.

This is how the system works-

EBD and Brake assist are functions of ABS system. I guess they will standard on ABS equipped AT version.

Last edited by .anshuman : 23rd February 2014 at 17:15.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2014, 20:13   #397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
VSC is Toyota's name for ESP. Please search the forum for discussions on ESP. In the case of an emergency swerve, the ESP system is even more crucial for SUVs with higher center of gravity as they are more prone to lose control and in some cases even topple.
. I understand the usefulness of ESP/VSC. Have owned vehicles with this feature in the past. Hence a bit scary to not have this on my next purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
EBD and Brake assist are functions of ABS system. I guess they will standard on ABS equipped AT version.
That's what I thought untill I saw this in toyota website!

http://www.toyotabharat.com/cars/new...ification.aspx
Old 25th March 2014, 13:00   #398
BHPian

Best 7 Seater SUV in price bracket INR22L-30L (no resale- service (ASS) considered)

I am planning to buy a SUV within INR 22L-30L on road.

Following are the requirements:

- Best ride comfort in city (70%) and on highway (30%)
- Best safety features.
- Should be mechanically trouble free and minimum on maintenance.
- Excellent build quality.
- Should be able to seat 7 (5 Adults and 2 Kids)
- Prefer 4X4 but willing to compromise this features as safety and comfort takes precedence.

I am not looking at resale value as I want to keep the SUV for more than 7-8 years.

I have shortlisted and test driven the following SUVs:

Pajero Sport (have one dealer in Hyderabad so no issues of servicing)
- Excellent build quality and solid mechanicals.
- Good ride in the city and highways.
- Good Safety features.
- No need for all time 4 wheel drive (use it as you need it)
- Can seat 7
- only one model 4X4 available
- have a strong build to last feeling.
- not very common on the roads so that exclusive feel. But ppl know Pajero brand.
- Best road visibility amongst all the listed SUVs (the only other best road visibility vehicle is TATA Safari Storme)

Hyundai Santa Fe
- Excellent interiors.
- Best safety features
- not great ride quality in city and highway.
- was not happy with the build quality. you don't get long lasting feel.
- no steering feedback at all.
- good road visibility but not as great as Pajero Sport

Fortuner 4X4
- Drives like a car, excellent clutch not as hard as Pajero Sport.
- Felt dashboard was a bit high so don't give you a commanding feel of Pajero.
- Innova like interiors was a let-down.
- Looks big but found interior space (leg room, head room) less than other SUVs but seats are comfy.
- Not great ride quality in city but good ride quality on highways.
- Build quality is not as good as Pajero Sport.
- felt initial vibrations driving on slightly bumpy roads.
- big A pillar obstructs visibility from side.

Mahindra SSongyong Rexton
- Scores on all the points of fortuner.
- interiors are really good.
- I felt issues with driver ergonomics.
- Good safety features (4 airbags)
- no build to last feel but better than Santa fe.
- Interior space is shorter than Pajero Sport.
- Decent ride quality (better than fortuner and Santa fe but not as good as Pajero Sport)
- Excellent price (value for money)

your opinion matters so do pour in your thoughts and impressions with reasons.

Thank you all in advance
NikhilReddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 13:13   #399
BHPian

Re: Best 7 Seater SUV in price bracket INR22L-30L (no resale- service (ASS) considere

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 26th March 2014 at 14:24.
i<3turbo is offline   Received Infraction
Old 25th March 2014, 13:15   #400
BHPian

Re: Best 7 Seater SUV in price bracket INR22L-30L (no resale- service (ASS) considere

Please have a look at the What Car forum, there are many threads on this topic. You will get all the info you need.

Go for Fortuner, eyes closed it is the best SUV at this price level. 7 can't fit properly in the Rexton and Santa Fe.
Old 25th March 2014, 13:31   #401
BHPian

Not to be the black sheep here, but I would seriously recommend the Pajero Sport. I have driven it and I know exactly what you're talking about. That car feels like a European car with same level, if not better, of build quality. And as most would've observed you haven't listed any downsides with the Pajero. The Fortuner is a good car, but it doesn't have the exclusivity or the best interior of the lot. It's your pick.
thebfg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 13:57   #402
Senior - BHPian

I'm not sure why you mentioned Santa-Fe not having good ride quality. In Korea, I've experienced this SUV for around 200+ Kms being passenger. I found it to be quite good in terms of ride quality. The look of new Santa-Fe is is excellent.

There are plenty of Santa-Fes here in Korea. I have seen personally 4 lakhs+ KMs in Santa-Fe old model completely rattle and squeak free. Equipment level is also good in Santa-Fe compared to other choices.

Only problem I see is it is not true 7 seater SUV. May be last seat is suitable only for kids.

I would certainly vote for Santa Fe in place of
Old Model Pajero, Plain Jane Fortuner, Not Proven Rexton.
anujmishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 14:10   #403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
I'm not sure why you mentioned Santa-Fe not having good ride quality. In Korea, I've experienced this SUV for around 200+ Kms being passenger. I found it to be quite good in terms of ride quality. The look of new Santa-Fe is is excellent.

There are plenty of Santa-Fes here in Korea. I have seen personally 4 lakhs+ KMs in Santa-Fe old model completely rattle and squeak free. Equipment level is also good in Santa-Fe compared to other choices.

Only problem I see is it is not true 7 seater SUV. May be last seat is suitable only for kids.

I would certainly vote for Santa Fe in place of
Old Model Pajero, Plain Jane Fortuner, Not Proven Rexton.

Thats a sante fe in korea. This will be a sante fe in india. Unless the sante fe is a cbu, you won't get that same feeling of the sante you experienced in korea. Indian ckd cars are different spec and sometimes use less quality local parts sourced from indian manufacturers to reduce build cost.
Old 25th March 2014, 14:22   #404
Team-BHP Support

Its clearly Santa Fe Vs Fortuner. Do note, even Fortuner will have a harsh ride. To that extent, the Santa Fe ride should be softer in the city. If it can meet your 5+2 seating requirements, I would vote for Santa Fe. Very well spec'ed and loaded.
Old 25th March 2014, 14:41   #405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i<3turbo View Post
Thats a sante fe in korea. This will be a sante fe in india. Unless the sante fe is a cbu, you won't get that same feeling of the sante you experienced in korea. Indian ckd cars are different spec and sometimes use less quality local parts sourced from indian manufacturers to reduce build cost.
I'm sorry I tend to disagree with your argument. There is no degrading of part when built in India but there may be less feature set in car. If you could justify your argument then I would be happy accepting this. There is always part specification using which part is being made. Quality is not being compromised by any manufacturer for any country.

Last edited by anujmishra : 25th March 2014 at 14:58.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks