Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2014, 21:27   #376
Team-BHP Support

Re: Which 7 Seater SUV for 17-25L? Endeavour vs Fortuner vs Captiva vs Pajero vs Sant

I concur with Anshuman. If you don't need an AT then the XUV is a brilliant package. I sat in Anshuman's XUV last week and was all praise for the XUV. This was the first time I sat in one for a long time on the highway. Till now only small showroom TD's.

The XUV highway dynamics were brilliant and NVH levels were very good. The 6th gear is a boon on the expressways. Space is class leading all round and features wise it is packed with 6 airbags and a lot more.
Old 12th February 2014, 21:41   #377
Senior - BHPian

As I said, it's for someone in my family, not me. I'm content between the ,Ecosport and Gurkha personally.

AT is a hard requirement here. Non negotiable.
Old 12th February 2014, 22:18   #378
BHPian

Re: Which 7 Seater SUV for 17-25L? Endeavour vs Fortuner vs Captiva vs Pajero vs Sant

Well if you want an AT and want good ride comfort for +7 under 30L (excluding the chevy) there are not many options and you anyway will need to compromise on something
Fortuner- you compromise Ride quality
Rexton - you compromise reliability/A.S.S. ?

thats it or maybe compromise on the +7 and go with the Audi Q3 or Mercedes-Benz B-class ?
Old 12th February 2014, 22:28   #379
Senior - BHPian

My experience of driving the Rexton AT is mostly good. But, how bad is the reliability and A.S.S.? Have they corrected the position of the handbrake lever yet?
Old 12th February 2014, 22:31   #380
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Maybe this Autocar review of the Santa Fe could be of some help to you.

PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2014, 22:50   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
My experience of driving the Rexton AT is mostly good. But, how bad is the reliability and A.S.S.? Have they corrected the position of the handbrake lever yet?
Would you want to Risk it ? it is still too new into the market
Although personally having previously owned a scorpio for 7+ years I have been pretty happy with mahindra A.S.S
Old 13th February 2014, 08:25   #382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh@rpshooter View Post
Would you want to Risk it ? it is still too new into the market.
Well, that would depend on the risk probability and impact.

Anshuman always mentions his bad experience with the Rexton MT, because of the problems faced with his friend's vehicle.
Another close friend of mine has the Rexton AT for a year now, and loves it. This is also the vehicle I've driven a lot. He hasn't faced any product quality or reliability problems, although he has had to contend with the lackadaisical M&M service. He even takes it for soft off roading on a regular basis.
But relying on these two experiences only is a bit less when taking such a decision.
So, what I want to do, is to broaden the pool of experiences to come to a conclusion on whether or not the Rexton AT is a good buy.

Same with the Endeavor AT 4x4, although I understand from Anshuman's points that the odds may be stacked further against it. Oh, did I mention earlier, the close to 3 lac discount that Ford is offering on this?
Old 13th February 2014, 09:04   #383
BHPian

Quote:

Same with the Endeavor AT 4x4, although I understand from Anshuman's points that the odds may be stacked further against it. Oh, did I mention earlier, the close to 3 lac discount that Ford is offering on this?
The main issue i had with the current Endeavour is that its really dated. but the discount makes it interesting, and perhaps the 4x4 AT would be the option to go for.

i am sure you have gone thru the official review here .

Also do try to find out when they are launching the new Endeavour. it looks really good on paper.

But looking at all of the above, the Rexton does not look like a bad choice. do try out the 2nd and 3rd rows once to see if it meets expectations as i heard they are really low.

Last edited by sh@rpshooter : 13th February 2014 at 09:15.
sh@rpshooter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 09:23   #384
Senior - BHPian

^^ Indeed the 4x2 AT Endeavour has significantly lesser kit for what is really a marginal price difference, hence the only variant under consideration is the 4x4 AT.
The 3 Lac discount currently being offered, essentially means almost a 4 Lac difference from the Fortuner's on-road price and around 1-1.5 Lac from the Rexton's price.
Old 13th February 2014, 12:01   #385
BHPian

hi,
Rexton rx 5 is really a good choice as it comes with a proper low gear ratio gearbox.

pros
1. very smooth and powerfull engine (mercedes benz om612-5 cylinders)
2. Build quality on par or better than fortuner.
3. Very very good low speed ride quality.
4. Its a rear wheel drive by default but becomes AWD when the front wheel slips.
5. Has a proper 4 wheel low.
6. My rx 5 touches 190km easily.

cons...
1. Suspension are very soft.
2. third row seat very low and only good for kids.

I am writing this based on my driving rexton for the around 18000 km in the last 10 months including a trip from hyderabad to kaza with family by road.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ng-rexton.html

No issues has been faced by me till date.

Regarding a 4x2 endeavour, my take is if you want a suv go for a 4x4 WITH LOW GEAR RATIO..PERIOD...

Hope this helps...

Last edited by ashroy_6 : 13th February 2014 at 12:03.
ashroy_6 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 12:07   #386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashroy_6 View Post
hi,
Rexton rx 5 is really a good choice as it comes with a proper low gear ratio gearbox.

I am writing this based on my driving rexton for the around 18000 km in the last 10 months including a trip from hyderabad to kaza with family by road.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ng-rexton.html

No issues has been faced by me till date.

Hope this helps...
Thanks Ashroy. We are considering the RX7, since the AT is a mandatory requirement. Moreover, off-roading is not an aspiration, so with or without Low Range, doesn't matter to us.

How has your reliability and Service experience been?
Old 13th February 2014, 12:24   #387
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ashroy. We are considering the RX7, since the AT is a mandatory requirement. Moreover, off-roading is not an aspiration, so with or without Low Range, doesn't matter to us.

How has your reliability and Service experience been?
The reliability has been fantastic till date. The service experience also has been very good till date. While we were travelling from hyderbad to delhi, somewhere before gwalior we suffered a tyre burst. Hard to believe that in delhi Mahindra replaced the whole tyre free of charge. Moreover the tyre burst happened because of a large steel sharpnel. Still the company just changed it.

Moreover if you even read international reviews of Rexton everyone says it is a tough reliable suv. In uk it is known for its towing abilities which is much more than the other suv's. Rexton is basically based on the previous generation Mercedes M-class right from the chassis design, same engine, suspension setup etc etc. So i guess there is not much that can go wrong.
The 2.7 lts 5 cylinder om 612 engine is known for being very rugged and reliable. Just google om 612.

Hope this helps...

Last edited by ashroy_6 : 13th February 2014 at 12:34.
ashroy_6 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 13:37   #388
Senior - BHPian

^ Agreed Ashroy.

Any Mercedes Diesel, particularly from a commercial segment background, is very good when it comes to reliability and service life. That's what attracts us so much to the Rexton. It also has strong differentials which helps in towing capability.
Glad to hear that you have had an experience directly in contrast to Anshuman's, which might imply a lemon in the latter case.
Right now, the Rexton R7 is looking like it gives the best combination for the price and our requirements.
Old 13th February 2014, 17:13   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashroy_6 View Post
The reliability has been fantastic till date. The service experience also has been very good till date. While we were travelling from hyderbad to delhi, somewhere before gwalior we suffered a tyre burst. Hard to believe that in delhi Mahindra replaced the whole tyre free of charge. Moreover the tyre burst happened because of a large steel sharpnel. Still the company just changed it.

Moreover if you even read international reviews of Rexton everyone says it is a tough reliable suv. In uk it is known for its towing abilities which is much more than the other suv's. Rexton is basically based on the previous generation Mercedes M-class right from the chassis design, same engine, suspension setup etc etc. So i guess there is not much that can go wrong.
The 2.7 lts 5 cylinder om 612 engine is known for being very rugged and reliable. Just google om 612.

Hope this helps...
Thanks for this review. and very good to hear about the A.S.S. experience
Quote:
^...

Right now, the Rexton R7 is looking like it gives the best combination for the price and our requirements.
Yes it does appear so. also the RX7 is tunes for better performance and worth the extra

Last edited by sh@rpshooter : 13th February 2014 at 17:15.
Old 13th February 2014, 17:56   #390
BHPian

Let me ask the question that got asked few posts back: does someone have an idea how good is the 5 speed AT in Fortuner, in terms of reliability and otherwise?

Also, is it just me or are there actually a good number of Automatic Fortuners being sold? I base this impression on AT badging spotted on roads, it's too frequent to be a coincidence.

Why I ask is, I have a relative looking for something around the 17L price point, and only three criteria are important:
AT is an absolute must have
Resale since the vehicle won't be used much and might be sold off in a few years.
Back Seat comfort

Used vehicle is preferable, thus putting the Fortuner in contention. I know it won't fulfill the comfort criteria, but the other two are non-negotiable for him. Any inputs would be highly appreciated. SUV is preferred but not mandatory.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks