Feb 16 & 17 2 18.18%
Feb 23 & 24 9 81.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2013, 12:30   #211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay S View Post
Where exactly does kanakapura - nice road jn come? Is it near yellamma dasappa college?
Karnataka State Sericulture Research&Development Institute
Thalagattapur, National Highway 209, Bangalore, Karnataka 560062
http://goo.gl/maps/WshWQ

Just park next to that :-)
Old 2nd July 2013, 13:04   #212
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2013 Team-BHP Bangalore Overnight Meet

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulcrum.xyz View Post
And the Sunday evening drive back on SH 17 has reached an absolute low point since the past couple of months

So, I think its a good idea to leave earlier and avoid this or even avoid SH17 all together on the way back.

We used to avoid leaving Mysore between 5pm and 9pm on Sunday evenings even as far back as 1990. Nothing to do with the roads, mind, it is just that so many people want to make this trip at that time.

Lets talk about this when we are chilling in Ooty in the evening. I am personally in favour of leaving Mysore late. Because that means I can, after breakfast in Ooty, come down via Gudalur to Theppakadu and go back up via Kalatti. And then come down again via Kalatti as planned after lunch, stop in Mysore for a while (Chamundi hill climb challenge anyone? ) and hit SH17 around 9pm.
Alternatively, use NH209 via Bannur up to Kanakapura, and then join SH17 using the Kanakapura-Ramanagaram road.

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 2nd July 2013 at 13:07. Reason: Alternative suggested
Old 2nd July 2013, 19:42   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Just wanted to make sure I have understood the planned route correctly and that we are in synch with the exact route. Therefore sharing my understanding of the planned route here. Please correct me if I have got some details wrong.

Here are the key way-points with the latitude and longitude coordinates as per google maps (I have listed these here for easy reference and so that we can store these in our GPS navigation devices):

Start: Kanakapura Road/Nice Road Junction (12.854879,77.52457)
Pitstop 1: Nijaguna Residency, Chamarajanagar (11.919906,76.943069)
Pitstop 2: Oasis Family Restaurant, SH67, Mettupalayam (11.292066,76.940538)
Pitstop 3: Chamraj Tea Eastate (11.298118,76.680276)
End: Taj Savoy, Ooty (11.415071,76.692776)

And here is the route map: http://goo.gl/maps/eF6yP

Again, please correct me if anything is wrong here (especially the coordinates of Chamraj Tea Estate, since I could not locate this in google maps).

See you all on Saturday :-)

Thanks,
-AD
Old 2nd July 2013, 20:21   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Just wanted to make sure I have understood the planned route correctly and that we are in synch with the exact route. Therefore sharing my understanding of the planned route here. Please correct me if I have got some details wrong.

And here is the route map: http://goo.gl/maps/eF6yP
An alternative route has been proposed, see this post:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...ml#post3126469

Could we please have a show of hands as to which route we would prefer? I, for one, am for the alternative, slightly longer route.
Old 2nd July 2013, 20:34   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
An alternative route has been proposed, see this post:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...ml#post3126469

Could we please have a show of hands as to which route we would prefer? I, for one, am for the alternative, slightly longer route.
Looks like this alternative route in post #152, and the route I mentioned are same till Mettupalayam (Oasis Restaurant). I think the difference is only in the Mettupalayam-Ooty segment.

I am OK with whatever route we choose. I have never driven this route before, so whichever route choose will be a new one for me. So I am OK with anything, just wanted to make sure we have the exactly same route in mind :-)
Old 2nd July 2013, 20:42   #216
BHPian

Please let only quality of roads determine route. :-)
Old 2nd July 2013, 23:46   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
The planned route is: Blr - NH 209 - Chamarajanagar - Mettupalayam - Karamadi - Manjur – Lovedale - Ooty

Link: http://goo.gl/maps/sqjBg

based on Dijesh's TL 135576-bangalore-ooty-manjur-mulli-mannarkkad-trip.html:

"... started driving down via Lovedale to Manjur.The drive was so refreshing as we witnessed the unseen faces of Ooty with tea estates.The road proceded from one hill to another with majestic views of tea estates all around.The road was well laid and driving through those hills was an amazing experience.There some 10 + hairpin bends on the ascend and we saw couple of dams at Kundah and Geddai.

We had read about 43 hairpin bends at one stretch from Manjur to mulli and was very excited to drive through these bends. The road was freshly laid and we drove down these hairpin bends with ease. Saw elephant dung all along the drive down but couldn’t see elephants. Saw may birds and the locale was simply awesome to say the least. We stopped in between to have tea at a place called chamaraj tea center. This is the highest tea estate in India, they have displayed the Limca book of records for this feat."

and inputs below

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
- What you should do is :
- NH209 to Dimbham and then drive till Bannari and NOT till Sathy.
- At Bannari take the SH towards Mettupalayam. This goes via Bhavani Sagar dam. But make sure you *DONT drive till Mettupalayam..

- At Karamadai you cut NH67 and take road less taken to Manjoor and there on via Emerald/Avalanche to Ooty.
- It should get you into Ooty via Good Sheppard school and Fern Hills palace.
- You also get a chance to see the Emerald/Avalanche lakes.

I think at Manjoor there is an option that can take you to Lovedale too. But you should ask for # Avalanche road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSUDARSANAN View Post
Thanks Ampere for the suggestions:
- shall opt for the route via Bhavani Sagar dam as we get a chance to see it.
- ,... (*Mettupalayam was only for better lunch options).

- # to soak in Emerald/Avalanche lake vistas, a drive past wouldn't do justice so I did check with RedHills Nature resort for the overnight option. Unfortunately they are closed in the monsoons. Carry forward to the next drive
that was my rationale which should clarify the post below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
#An alternative route has been proposed, ... I, for one, am for the alternative, slightly longer route.
Thank you for your understanding.
Old 3rd July 2013, 09:37   #218
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The planned route is: Blr - NH 209 - Chamarajanagar - Mettupalayam - Karamadi - Manjur – Lovedale - Ooty

Link: http://goo.gl/maps/sqjBg
Thanks for clarifying the route. Your post makes it all clear now. The route and the plan looks pretty good. Eagerly looking forward to this drive now :-)
Old 3rd July 2013, 10:48   #219
BHPian

OT:

http://biggeekdad.com/2012/01/how-ol...le-park-their-

hmmm, 'old' people...what say Diesel Convert ?
Old 3rd July 2013, 14:50   #220
BHPian

Guys, I might join you for part of the drive. I'm also on my way to Ooty, but taking the Bandipur route. Will split on the way, as I take a diversion to Mysore. Is that OK, with you guys ?

I guess, no one in this group knows me except for @Nikhilb2008 . Will keep in touch with Nikhil and keep him informed on my timings.
Old 3rd July 2013, 17:14   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
Guys, I might join you for part of the drive. I'm also on my way to Ooty, but taking the Bandipur route. Will split on the way, as I take a diversion to Mysore. Is that OK, with you guys ?
You are most welcome.
Enroute to Ooty, if Mysore is a stopover then Malavalli is where you will split towards Mysore; else it will be Chamarajanagar where you will split towards to Bandipur.
Meeting point: Karnataka State Sericulture Research&Development Institute, Thalagattapur, National Highway 209, Bangalore, Karnataka 560062
http://goo.gl/maps/WshWQ
Dep 7.00 am

Update 06 as of evening/03.07.13

Ride count:

1. RSudarsanan (Fiesta) Twin share
2. Diesel Convert + 1 (Rapid) Twin share
3. Nikhilb2008 + 1 (Civic) Twin share
4. Dr.AD (SX4) Twin share
5. fulcrum.xyz (Swift petrol) Twin share
6. Akshay S (Fiesta) Twin share
7. KiloAlpha (Figo) Twin share
8. KarthikK (Linea T-Jet) will join till Chamarajanagar and return the same day

As SILVERWOOD and Raj.barcode have not responded to my PMs, am left with no option but to reluctantly conclude that their respective pressing engagements, might not allow them to participate.

To them and possible last-minute participants, the drive beckons, provided they secure their accommodation as advised in post # 185 and arrive at the meeting point, indicated above, in advance, for a 7 am departure.
We'll expect you, when we see you.

Guess, I have tied up all the loose ends and look forward to meeting you all on Saturday
Old 3rd July 2013, 19:17   #222
BHPian

Quote:
it will be Chamarajanagar where you will split towards to Bandipur.
No Stop-over at Mysore, so we'll split up at Chamarajanagar. Hopefully my timings will match with your plans and we'll be able to drive together.
Old 3rd July 2013, 21:15   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
No Stop-over at Mysore, so we'll split up at Chamarajanagar. Hopefully my timings will match with your plans and we'll be able to drive together.
Krish, come along! It will be fun!
Old 3rd July 2013, 22:50   #224
BHPian

http://norrians.tripod.com/convoy_ru..._etiquette.htm

Folks,

Am looking at adopting the best practices from the article, relevant to us, so that we, when in convoy, are on the same page while on the road.

Like, me thinks we are responsible enough to do away with a 'Marshall'.
So also do post your pov/comments for the benefit of all concerned.

Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 23:39   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

http://norrians.tripod.com/convoy_ru..._etiquette.htm

Folks,

Am looking at adopting the best practices from the article, relevant to us, so that we, when in convoy, are on the same page while on the road.

Like, me thinks we are responsible enough to do away with a 'Marshall'.
So also do post your pov/comments for the benefit of all concerned.

Thanks
Niiiiice! I like! BUT, it ain't gonna happen. I speak from experience.

The best we can do is - at the starting point, ensure all members know the route and the next regroup point. Then, when the regroup happens, ensure everyone knows the route and next regroup point again.

Everyone should have everybody else's mobile number.

The organiser stays in front - and that mean you, @RSUDARSANAN

And finally, this one might not always happen ... Designate one person to bring up the rear (slowest car/most chillaxed driver) - this person will ensure that there are no members going astray.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks