Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2013, 16:57   #1
BHPian

Meet & Drive to Leh (Aug - Sept 2014)?

Guys,

I am planning to drive to Leh this August (2014) on a 15 (days can be added if needed) day driving vacation from Pune. Had an extensive discussion with HVK on this.

As they say, a drive to Leh is best enjoyed when in a convoy. It signifies two things. First - It reduces the boredom, if there would be any as you would be driving with people you know. At the same time it teaches you some finer points in teamwork and collaborative achievements. Second - A convoy always acts as a second line of defense if you are stuck anywhere in those challenging and demanding terrains.

I will be taking my Safari on the drive and there are 3 seats still vacant to accompany me. What say guys? HVK, Lalu? Up for it?

Please do let me know if anyone is interested. If unfortunately I find none to accompany, I would still drive solo as Leh is too beautiful a place to give a miss, just because the fear of driving solo for 5000 Km round trip takes a better of your enthusiasm

Waiting eagerly for the participants.

Last edited by BeingCynical : 25th November 2013 at 16:58.
BeingCynical is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 17:34   #2
nmo
BHPian

Re: Drive To Leh August-September 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingCynical View Post
Guys,

I am planning to drive to Leh this August (2014) on a 15 (days can be added if needed) day driving vacation from Pune. Had an extensive discussion with HVK on this.

I will be taking my Safari on the drive and there are 3 seats still vacant to accompany me. What say guys? HVK, Lalu? Up for it?

Please do let me know if anyone is interested. If unfortunately I find none to accompany, I would still drive solo as Leh is too beautiful a place to give a miss, just because the fear of driving solo for 5000 Km round trip takes a better of your enthusiasm

Waiting eagerly for the participants.
I would love to join you but right now you could treat my participation as a 50-50.
Old 25th November 2013, 17:37   #3
BHPian

Re: Drive To Leh August-September 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmo View Post
I would love to join you but right now you could treat my participation as a 50-50.
That even would do for the time being. After all a ball without being scored for a boundary is still too precious for Ishant Sharma. Isn't it?

Last edited by GTO : 26th November 2013 at 12:54. Reason: Please continue all meet discussions here, not a facebook page. Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 21:04   #4
BHPian

Re: Meet & Drive to Leh (Aug - Sept 2014)?

Please do consider me in the list of most probables. I too, along with a dear friend of mine, are planning for leh for quite some time, but couldn't make it. Maybe we could join as a convoy, if his father parts with his innova, or hop in your car, if there's place n permission
Old 26th November 2013, 11:06   #5
Team-BHP Support

Count us in! We were planning a trip to Leh next year via Amritsar, Srinagar, Kargil to Leh and then to Manali. Amritsar because two friends haven’t been to this place yet so it is a small detour. And Srinagar because acclimatization to the higher altitudes becomes easier via this route we were told by a few friends who had been to Leh before. We shall be starting from Surat so this could be a 20-day trip. So from my side, there will be 3 of us. Do keep us posted BC!

The route is something like this:
Meet & Drive to Leh (Aug - Sept 2014)?-map.png

I am only worried of two things for the trip. Everything else can be managed.

1. Altitude sickness - a friend of mine who had been to Leh (who is a smoker btw; not sure if that matters here) was throwing up during the entire trip which sort of spoiled the whole thing for their team. He was taken to the Army hospital who had him treated and he was okay (not perfectly normal) for the rest of the trip. His friend said he threw up some black substance which got me more worried! A tablet is supposed to ease this feeling however.

2. Vehicle fitness - I have a GT TDI which would probably reach 10k + on the odo before we start this trip. I am worried if the water wading at that particular location will cause issues to the car. I will have to fit a proper engine guard to avoid the sump getting damaged en route.

PS: Do refer tanveer’s thread on this topic and bookmark the link - Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide
Old 26th November 2013, 16:22   #6
BHPian

Overwhelmed by the response

So the team stands like this as of now

1. BeingCynical (Tata Safari) - Confirmed

2. Gannu_1 - Confirmed

3. auto_enthusiast - 90% Probable

4. nmo - 50-50

Guys, if you are planning to take your vehicle, please do update the thread with your vehicle details. That would help ascertain the machine strength and as well the vacant space that we would be left with for others to join in as companions.

Route suggested by Gannu_1 looks fine to me. I had sometime back asked for a possible route map from HVK for a 15 days drive from Pune and we can refer that for other options as well.

In the mean time, I will create a Facebook page so that non BHP members can contribute their view points.

Thanks again for showing interest.

Update:

Just Created a FB page here https://www.facebook.com/Leh2014

Please see the same and suggest if it is fine or not. Since I am not a FB user, not sure if I have created the right thing.

Help me if we should create a group than a Page

Last edited by BeingCynical : 26th November 2013 at 16:41.
Old 26th November 2013, 16:43   #7
BHPian

Hi,

I am driving to Spiti and then Leh in Aug 2014. I live in Calicut, hence my day 1 would be at Pune. May be we get to drive a couple of days in a convoy.
It shall be four of us in an ecosport.
and the rough route shall be, Calicut- Pune- indore-Delhi-Shimla-Sangla-Reckong peo- Nako-Kaza-Jispa-Tso Morri- Panong Lake- Leh- Kardungla- Leh- Kargil- Srinagar- Amritsar- Delhi- Gwalior-Nagpur-Hyderabad-Mysore-Calicut.
Atleast this is the dream route, for now. Keep this thread active so that we can exchange notes.
Wonder if I can manage special permits to Tso Morri and Panong Lake before hand through travel agents? Two in my car would be aussie citizens.
Cheers
Old 26th November 2013, 16:51   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vu2pmc View Post
Hi,

Calicut- Pune- indore-Delhi-Shimla-Sangla-Reckong peo- Nako-Kaza-Jispa-Tso Morri- Panong Lake- Leh- Kardungla- Leh- Kargil- Srinagar- Amritsar- Delhi- Gwalior-Nagpur-Hyderabad-Mysore-Calicut.
Wonder if I can manage special permits to Tso Morri and Panong Lake before hand through travel agents? Two in my car would be aussie citizens.
Cheers
I would suggest to go via the Srinagar route since you gradually drive the height which gives ample time to your body to acclimatize with the surroundings. I mean, why to take chance and ruin the complete driving pleasure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vu2pmc View Post
Hi,

Cheers
I am not sure but few of the places you mentioned in your list would require Inner-line permits for foreign nationals. I will get in touch with HVK to confirm and update you on the same.

Last edited by BeingCynical : 26th November 2013 at 16:53.
Old 26th November 2013, 16:52   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingCynical View Post
Overwhelmed by the response

So the team stands like this as of now

1. BeingCynical (Tata Safari) - Confirmed

2. Gannu_1 - Confirmed

3. auto_enthusiast - 90% Probable

4. nmo - 50-50
BeingCynical, add me to the 50-50 probables like nmo..
My negative 50% is only if I am not here in India, else if I am here then definitely I am sport for it; IF you have space for me in your Safari.

P.S. If you have any other BHP'ian or friend who is definite to join you then you may strike out my name to give him space.

-Bhargav
Old 26th November 2013, 17:35   #10
BHPian

Yes better take Srinagar Kargil Leh route, as roads are better and less hectic. And you can enjoy driving from Kargil to Leh the most.
Old 27th November 2013, 16:00   #11
BHPian

Hey Guys,

coolclouds yesterday PMed me and he is interested to join us.

So the list of people as of today stands like

1. Being Cynical
2. nmo
3. auto_enthusiast
4. Gannu_1
5. vu2pmc
6. Octane_Power
7. coolclouds

Few days back I had asked for a tentative route plan from HVK as I was planning to drive to Leh during Sep 2013. Due to the sudden official plan of mine to visit Japan, I had to drop it. Pasting the route plan here for your suggestion/s

Meet & Drive to Leh (Aug - Sept 2014)?-schedule.jpg
Old 27th November 2013, 16:45   #12
BHPian

I am planning to do it on september 2014. You can say 80% probability. Will be a car ( probably scorp ) with 3 or 4 people on board. Details not yet planned but might join your convoy if feasible. Will follow this thread.
Cheers.
Old 28th November 2013, 04:25   #13
BHPian

On request of many T-BHP non-members, I created a group so that we really don't have to consolidate the participants the rough way as well as non-members can throw their ideas.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/234654410036968/

Just a Note - All discussions regarding Plan/ Routes / Stops/ Places of Stay etc.. we will continue discussing here. The group is just to consolidate and mobilize non TBHP members and for them to put their point of view as they can't do it here being non-members.
Old 30th November 2013, 19:25   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

I am very much interested! I have been dreaming of doing a Leh trip for long time, and doing it in a convoy of team-bhpians will be an awesome experience! So great idea, and a great thread!

However, given that August is still far away and several details will have to be worked out, it is hard to say "count me in" with 100% confidence. So, I will say count me in with 80% confidence level :-)

I will closely follow this thread, and hopefully everything will work out well, and I will be with you guys in Leh.

By the way, I will come from Bangalore, and can join the convoy in Pune, if that is the starting point. However, if we have a few more participants from Bangalore, we can have our own "mini convoy" from Bangalore to Pune and then join others there.

And I will come in my SX4. Hopefully SX4 can handle the terrain. Let's see.

Thanks,
-AD
Old 1st December 2013, 07:14   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
I am very much interested! I have been dreaming of doing a Leh trip for long time, and doing it in a convoy of team-bhpians will be an awesome experience! So great idea, and a great thread!
-AD
Thanks AD for showing interest. I am coming back to India coming weekend and will discuss with HVK further on the routes, his availability and everything else. Will keep those details posted on this thread soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks