View Poll Results: Legay of Punjab meet Lunch or Dinner
Lunch with light traffic 5 83.33%
Dinner with killer traffic 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2010, 20:59   #46
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Damn. The two trains Deccan and Pragati don't stop at Kalyan or Thane.
Now it's giving me ideas.
Drive down from Pune?
The long distance trains stop both at KYN/ Thane etc.

Anyway, my family is ruled out from this meet. I guess I will just buy some ticket at the counter and get in to a general compartment of one of those long distance trains that reach Thane/ KYN. I have both Nomad's as well as Khoj's number. Will call once I get the tickets on Sunday.

I don't intend to carry my camera kit as this is going to be one crazy trip in a general compartment. So will load all the photos in an SD card and come.
Old 7th October 2010, 23:14   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
Would we all be lucky to see your super select on 10-10-10?
No yaar.. She's not yet been brought out of the monsoon hibernation !! .
Mid October, and she'll be rolling again. Next meet, I promise.
Old 8th October 2010, 01:47   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Damn. The two trains Deccan and Pragati don't stop at Kalyan or Thane.
Now it's giving me ideas.
Drive down from Pune?
The long distance trains stop both at KYN/ Thane etc.

Anyway, my family is ruled out from this meet. I guess I will just buy some ticket at the counter and get in to a general compartment of one of those long distance trains that reach Thane/ KYN. I have both Nomad's as well as Khoj's number. Will call once I get the tickets on Sunday.

I don't intend to carry my camera kit as this is going to be one crazy trip in a general compartment. So will load all the photos in an SD card and come.
MX6,
All trains stop at Karjat, You could travel in Deccan/Pragati to Karjat and then switch to a khopoli~VT local and get off at either Kalyan or Thane.

What do you think about that, this does allow you to travel comfortably up to Karjat atleast. Kalyan would be 15~20 minutes and Thane 40 minutes from there by the local.
Old 8th October 2010, 07:52   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
MX6,

What do you think about that, this does allow you to travel comfortably up to Karjat atleast. Kalyan would be 15~20 minutes and Thane 40 minutes from there by the local.
MX6 even if you take any long distance train, you can get in to Reservation compartment, as there are many Pune passengers get down at Pune, so almost half the train gets empty at Pune.And don't even think of Getting in to General compartment.

Khoj, Sir Kalyan is almost 50-60 Mins from Karjat.
Old 8th October 2010, 10:04   #50
BHPian

@All,
I have a small problem. I have gone and fractured my Big toe yesterday. Won't be able to drive down to Padgha on Sunday.

@Sprucegoose,
Read in an earlier post that you are driving down and most probably will be chaffeuring Gostel. A request: Will it be possible for you to take me along as a passenger?

@Khoj,
Pragati and Deccan do not stop at Karjat on the way to Mumbai from Pune. Its only in the Down direction i.e. to Pune that they stop at Karjat.

@MX6,
You can take the Sahyadri Express departing Pune at 7.00am. Reaches Kalyan at 10.40 am and Thane at 11.00 am.
Old 8th October 2010, 12:12   #51
BHPian

@MX,
Bhai, its your own leg then why to tortour it. Just come by train and we will be happy to receive you at station.

@SuperSelect,
Sad, I was visualizing 2 classics at LOP parking lot (your SS and my NOMAD). Maybe sometime later.

@BolBolero,
Sir, take care well and I hope to see you at LOP.

@Sprucegoose,
Please do the needful

@Khoj,
Sir, got some internal info that LOP are concerned of their food stock regarding Sunday.
Old 8th October 2010, 12:17   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parimal_g View Post
Khoj, Sir Kalyan is almost 50-60 Mins from Karjat.
Even by train, the local specifically ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolBolero View Post
@All,
I have a small problem. I have gone and fractured my Big toe yesterday. Won't be able to drive down to Padgha on Sunday.
Ouch! What were you up to? Trying another contorted stance to get that perfect composition. Take care and hope that you will be there.

Quote:
@Sprucegoose,
Read in an earlier post that you are driving down and most probably will be chaffeuring Gostel. A request: Will it be possible for you to take me along as a passenger?
Sprucegoose,
You have to save the day man! We are all looking forward to seeing your vehicle chock a block with the Gostels and the BolBoleros.

Quote:
@Khoj,
Pragati and Deccan do not stop at Karjat on the way to Mumbai from Pune. Its only in the Down direction i.e. to Pune that they stop at Karjat.
Oh! Then what do they do with the extra engines they lug on to provide the additional braking required when riding downhill. I thought all trains have a technical halt at Karjat to decouple or couple up the extra engines.

Maybe they have stronger engines now which can provide sufficient cadence braking on their own.

Last edited by khoj : 8th October 2010 at 12:18.
Old 8th October 2010, 12:42   #53
MX6
Senior - BHPian

@khoj, I thought the extra engines are attached in Karjat for the train to climb up. On the drive down, most of the trains use only single engine. I thought most of the engines that pile up in Pune come down separately.

@all. Huge damages to my purse. 22K of unestimated damages due to replacement of clutch assembly and front suspensions in my car. So have take general compartment, not just for this trip, but for the rest of this year.
Old 8th October 2010, 13:04   #54
BHPian

Transport bombers?

Quote:
@All,

@Sprucegoose,
>>>

This is bad. Try to isolate your toe from shocks as much as possible by bandaging/handling care.

The good news is that gostel is on the mend.

Don't worry, between Spruce and me, we will take care of the logistics of transporting the walking wounded. Moreover, this might give me an opportunity to hear tales about Chandratal!

Regards, drive safe
Old 8th October 2010, 13:19   #55
Senior - BHPian

HI MX6,

Man that is a big bill. Your post indicates that the clutch just packed up on you. What about the suspension did something break or was the fault discovered during clutch o/h.

As for the extra engines they are taken off at Lonavala for the passanger trains and at another station up ahead for the goods trains. In fact all of the goods trains get extras on the back especially on the way down. With their mass, the momentum would be too much for the single pair of engines up front to reign in the free rolling rakes. The brakes have to be used in a manner so that the brake assembly itself and the wheels do not heat up and go to pieces. The pair behind (sometimes 3 engines or even 4) simply keep the connections under tension so that the rakes up slope do not impale those in front including the lead engines.

EDIT
MX6 will the 3M interior cleaning not take care of the seats too? And where did you see the Chandratal??

Last edited by khoj : 8th October 2010 at 13:35.
Old 8th October 2010, 13:28   #56
MX6
Senior - BHPian

@khoj.
I've driven my car heavily in one year. So wear and tear was expected in clutch assembly. However, the front suspensions where a bother since last 4 - 5 months itself. I wanted to give my car for comprehensive service with ford for sometime. Just decided to get these done. The whole clutch assembly is being changed. Can't expect the clutch/ pressure plates to be ok after 34K of driving in just one year, with the odo close to 75K now.
I'd blame the shimoga - hubli route for my suspension issue.
Also I wanted to get my car cleaned spic and span - 3M cleaning inside. Sadly, can't change the upholstery this month or this year. That will have to wait. Guess, I shall wash the current upholstery myself once I bring my car back tomorrow.

So to cut the long story short, there's been a pounding on my pocket. So only general compartments for now.

What's this chandratal I'm seeing in this log?
Old 8th October 2010, 13:37   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
@khoj, I thought the extra engines are attached in Karjat for the train to climb up. On the drive down, most of the trains use only single engine. I thought most of the engines that pile up in Pune come down separately.

@all. Huge damages to my purse. 22K of unestimated damages due to replacement of clutch assembly and front suspensions in my car. So have take general compartment, not just for this trip, but for the rest of this year.
... 22K. What happened? Just normal wear and tear leading to this or something else? BTW how many kms has your Ikon run?

I know that you love your Ikon but for the amount of running that you do, I would still insist you buying a diesel

Edit: Saw your post now about the suspension and clutch piece.

Last edited by f1fan : 8th October 2010 at 13:42.
Old 8th October 2010, 13:54   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Actually, they do have an additional engine attached while coming down the slope to control their braking.

I guess while climbing up, they attach the additional engine at the back. (in early 90s they used to have an extra engine ahead and another one at end)
While coming down they have an extra engine at the front.

PS: Actually my dad would be best to answer that and the logic behind. Will post the valid information ASAP post discussing with Dad.
Old 8th October 2010, 15:13   #59
BHPian

@ BolBolero...
For Sure.
I would be glad to pick you up.
Old 8th October 2010, 17:57   #60
Senior - BHPian

MX, are you the only one travelling from Pune?

I see you want to travel through train, let me see if I can join too (in my car of course :P)! Will let you know soon! BTW what time do we head back (for planning purposes)?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks