Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2011, 18:21   #2461
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions - Use of spurious/ defective Clutch parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Yes, that appears to have been the case, which is why the engine started racing occasionally in the higher gears (and also how I discovered something was wrong).
Any further updates after the M&M chaps contacted you ?
Old 11th September 2011, 18:25   #2462
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions - Use of spurious/ defective Clutch parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Any further updates after the M&M chaps contacted you ?
Ganpati Bapa Morya! Inspection by M&M was scheduled for Saturday but postponed due to ongoing Ganpati festivities in Bombay region.

I discovered today that the clutch pressure plate used by Global Gallarie, Thane, is not the correct specs - it says it is meant for CRDE, whereas my Scorpio is the non-crde model! AFAIK, the 2 models have different clutch plates!
Old 11th September 2011, 18:29   #2463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Ganpati Bapa Morya! Inspection by M&M was scheduled for Saturday but postponed due to ongoing Ganpati festivities in Bombay region.

I discovered today that the clutch pressure plate used by Global Gallarie, Thane, is not the correct specs - it says it is meant for CRDE, whereas my Scorpio is the non-crde model! AFAIK, the 2 models have different clutch plates!
That may have been one more or the only reason if the dimensions are different !
Old 12th September 2011, 10:55   #2464
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Both clutches are 240 mm dia IIRC. CRDe clutches have higher FOS and have been made standard across "most" models. There is no harm if you use a higher FOS clutch on a Non-CRDe Scorpio.

Spike
Old 16th September 2011, 17:49   #2465
AVR
BHPian

Hi Scorpio owners,

I own a Safari and am very happy with it. lol. end of message.

P.S.
I find it a bit odd to post on this thread as this has always been the "other side" but c'est la vie.

Ramkya1 and I recently did a trip to Lonavala in his CRDe Scorpio and I enjoyed driving the car so when he mentioned he's going in for a replacement, I asked him to pass it on to my fiancee who's not been able to decide on a vehicle for a year now but was suddenly tempted by the idea of driving a Scorpio. She's very happy driving it but a critical thing that I feel the Scorpio needs is a rear windshield wiper.

Can someone suggest if I should go to an authorized workshop? This is the first ECM-based vehicle that I am trying to play around with and I don't understand electric stuff. period. So please guide accordingly on the following things:
1) What all needs to be changed/added?
2) What would be the costing?

Thanks again,
Adi
(From the other side aka Safari owner/lover)
Old 16th September 2011, 19:40   #2466
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR
Hi Scorpio owners,

I own a Safari and am very happy with it. lol. end of message.

P.S.
I find it a bit odd to post on this thread as this has always been the "other side" but c'est la vie.

Ramkya1 and I recently did a trip to Lonavala in his CRDe Scorpio and I enjoyed driving the car so when he mentioned he's going in for a replacement, I asked him to pass it on to my fiancee who's not been able to decide on a vehicle for a year now but was suddenly tempted by the idea of driving a Scorpio. She's very happy driving it but a critical thing that I feel the Scorpio needs is a rear windshield wiper.

Can someone suggest if I should go to an authorized workshop? This is the first ECM-based vehicle that I am trying to play around with and I don't understand electric stuff. period. So please guide accordingly on the following things:

Thanks again,
Adi
It depends on how far you want to go with it. You can simply add a rear wiper motor and arm (assuming the holding mount is already there) and a switch upfront. For more detailed install, you can check if the steering mounted controls have provision for rear wiper and replace it if not. Cost wise, it should be about 1.5k
gharika is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2011, 19:40   #2467
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
... I feel the Scorpio needs is a rear windshield wiper.

...you sound like the 249 pages of this doesn't exist!

Your solution is simple. Don't fiddle around with the existing circuitry. Add a standard wiper motor to the rear door, and run a separate wiring and fuse to the dashboard to install the control switch. You can build in intermittent wipe into the circuit too, and power up the whole system through the ignition power supply.

Cost ~ 1500-2000 INR including the motor and wiring would be my guess - will depend on the electrician doing the job.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2011, 20:20   #2468
Senior - BHPian

This is a precision job, the ASC hates to do it, the hole has to be exact; reportedly even a few mm can much up the whole thing. That's why I did not attempt to fix it.

Yes to the wiring and everything else SS said about it. About the cost at the ASC would be about 4 K.

--Ramky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
...you sound like the 249 pages of this doesn't exist!

Your solution is simple. Don't fiddle around with the existing circuitry. Add a standard wiper motor to the rear door, and run a separate wiring and fuse to the dashboard to install the control switch. You can build in intermittent wipe into the circuit too, and power up the whole system through the ignition power supply.

Cost ~ 1500-2000 INR including the motor and wiring would be my guess - will depend on the electrician doing the job.
ramkya1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2011, 10:05   #2469
Senior - BHPian

@AVR: This might be a far shot, why not change the rear door itself. You can definitely get an accidental piece for cheap and exchange with your present door. And then do the electrical circuitry as SS mentioned.

Cheers
Old 17th September 2011, 10:57   #2470
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
...why not change the rear door itself.
Naah - no way would I suggest changing to an accidental door. How much would a new rear door cost anyway? And the cost of repaint? Methinks drilling a hole to take the wiper motor spindle should not be rocket science, just a matter of positioning the centre of the hole correctly. Mercifully, the motor is not mounted on the rear glass as in some other cars.
Old 17th September 2011, 11:08   #2471
AVR
BHPian

Thanks guys. Changing the door will be too costly. Will enquire with a smart electrician I know and see if he's willing to do any jugaad so to speak.
Dumb question but does the ecm get affected by any electric circuitry added? I am, somehow more comfortable changing an engine on a non-electronic vehicle but very cautious on adding anything to a ecm-driven vehicle!

Last edited by AVR : 17th September 2011 at 11:09.
Old 17th September 2011, 11:30   #2472
Senior - BHPian

MhHWK ELECTRONICS GOING APES!!!

1. The microhybrid does not kick in. 1 kms after switching on it's supposed to cut the engine when you engage neutral and idle at signals; does not happen regularly. It's like the fasting season for our politicians, has a mind of its own.

2. The hand brake warning voice over comes on when it wants, I deliberately engaged it and moved yesterday, it chose to remain silent!!

3. Don't understand the rain sensor, read about how it works etc., know the technology. When it's on & when it rains hard (fortunately the rainy season is also going apes and is on now) it does not move, sometimes when it drizzles the wipers do a frenzied act!!!

Been driving on heavy rains and doing some wading on roads Looks like the whole thing needs to be checked with a ASC lappy or the module changed.

Any suggestions?

--Ramky
======
Old 17th September 2011, 11:35   #2473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys. Changing the door will be too costly. Will enquire with a smart electrician I know and see if he's willing to do any jugaad so to speak.
Dumb question but does the ecm get affected by any electric circuitry added? I am, somehow more comfortable changing an engine on a non-electronic vehicle but very cautious on adding anything to a ecm-driven vehicle!
Adi,

Do this slow and careful, it's not that simple, only a good electrician in combination with a lathe guy can drill that hole accurately. If you want to add a washer to the rear too, you need plumbing.

As far as I know, wold not affect the ECM in any way.

--Ramky
=======
Old 17th September 2011, 15:20   #2474
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dumb question but does the ecm get affected by any electric circuitry added?
Ramky is right...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
As far as I know, wold not affect the ECM in any way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
1. The microhybrid does not kick in. 1 kms after switching on it's supposed to cut the engine when you engage neutral and idle at signals; does not happen regularly. It's like the fasting season for our politicians, has a mind of its own.

2. The hand brake warning voice over comes on when it wants, I deliberately engaged it and moved yesterday, it chose to remain silent!!

3. Don't understand the rain sensor, read about how it works etc., know the technology. When it's on & when it rains hard (fortunately the rainy season is also going apes and is on now) it does not move, sometimes when it drizzles the wipers do a frenzied act!!!
Sensor trouble!

MicroHybrid malfunction is most likely related to clutch pedal position sensor.

Handbrake VMS - does the red light on the dash light up but the voice doesn't speak? Or do both don't work?

Rain sensor - switch off and on again if it acts funny. Or use the mist-wipe function once to stop that frenzied act.
Old 18th September 2011, 22:42   #2475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Ramky is right...

Sensor trouble!

MicroHybrid malfunction is most likely related to clutch pedal position sensor.

Handbrake VMS - does the red light on the dash light up but the voice doesn't speak? Or do both don't work?

Rain sensor - switch off and on again if it acts funny. Or use the mist-wipe function once to stop that frenzied act.
Tnx. Will check out the clutch pedal sensor.

The red light comes on but the voice does not speak; today everything worked perfect.

Will try the mist wipe function and report.

--Ramky
=====

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks