Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2010, 18:42   #1741
Senior - BHPian

Nice job Abhinav. Keep the good work up. Respect the ride, always.
Old 1st March 2010, 19:28   #1742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
In fact, DuPont is a company and Teflon its product.
Polytetrafluoroethylene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yea! I know!

Its kind of a surface treatment where a layer of PTFE is applied over the paint(clear coat) and then it is baked so that it dries and adheres to the paint finish!

After that you don't even have to wax for at least 5-6 yrs!!! It retains its gloss for a long-long time!!

I've heard of such treatments in the US but ppl here in India(bodyshop and paintshop guys) refer to polishing and waxing as 'Teflon'

The guy I got the Highlighting glaze from said that the glaze was 'Teflon'! and I was like
Old 1st March 2010, 19:41   #1743
Senior - BHPian

No sure if this is the right place to post,

Last night my air freshner in car somehow fliped upside down and the liquid came out and it dissolved the top layer of my dashboard. a size of a drop is missing from the microfibre type topping. Beware of this kind of spillage in your cars!
Old 1st March 2010, 20:17   #1744
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Yea! I know!

Its kind of a surface treatment where a layer of PTFE is applied over the paint(clear coat) and then it is baked so that it dries and adheres to the paint finish!

After that you don't even have to wax for at least 5-6 yrs!!! It retains its gloss for a long-long time!!

I've heard of such treatments in the US but ppl here in India(bodyshop and paintshop guys) refer to polishing and waxing as 'Teflon'

The guy I got the Highlighting glaze from said that the glaze was 'Teflon'! and I was like
I have seen the 3M guys offer the real teflon, i have seen new maruti cars with the 3M sticker and they get the teflon on new cars. The coating lasts a long long time, a car in my basement has it and it clearly shows vvv less swirls even though its daily washed with water and wiped with normal cloth. The shine is still good even after almost 2 years. Now they do not offer that i guess as its easier to sell cheaper stuff at similar cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsan02 View Post
Hey Shishir, mkh, salbin
Thanks guys for your response.
Yes rainy season is a pain, when you need the car most to commute without getting wet or get held up at office.

Can someone suggest me a good wax polish for the car and where in Bangalore can I buy it from. I couldn't find the right shop to look for thou. And how often is ideally required to wax them up.
THE best wax ( what sohails car is pampered with and the pics are a testimony) is Meguiars Tech Wax OR 3M Show Car Wax( not the one sold in india in retail outlets)
Both are expensive to get here, 3M not possible to in fact unless you are willing to pay an astronomical amount to a crook of a dealer called Hot Tracks
I can get you a Meguiars NXT Liquid wax/Paste Wax 2.0, will have it with me probably march 1st week, cost is about $22 incl tax and shipping. PM me if you want it
Ideally one should wax once 3 months, but in our conditions, maybe once a month and if washing is more often than maybe once in 15 days, not more.
In between waxing, to maintain you can use spray wax- which is a booster wax and not a substitute for waxing. It all depends on how fast the wax comes off, for which there is a simple test, see if the water stops beading off the surface.

(This does not apply if you are like Sohail, in love with your car hence give it a Spa treatment every week )
Old 1st March 2010, 20:53   #1745
Senior - BHPian

Lol! thanks for the complement!

btw I was looking at Blackfire Wet Diamond kits! - BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond Clay, Polish & Shine Kit

supposedly they are the best! I really wanna check out their products!

waiting for my pocket money to replenish!
Old 1st March 2010, 21:44   #1746
Senior - BHPian

Guys, try Waxpol or Turtle once and you shall forego these pocket burning expenditures. Member Sonirohit mentioned a easy DIY technique for Waxpol in another thread. Apply Waxpol and let it dry for a good half-an-hour; post this go panel by panel apply another layer of Waxpol and buff immediately. This saves you the tedious exercise as the new layer facilitates quick and easy buffing/

Sohail, no offence meant but I saw my uncle's blue i20 and there is hardly any difference in the pics you put up and his car. The colour itself has a lot of glaze but waxing does help in the long term. Hyundai's are not prone to early fading of paint considering my car which got its 1st wax after 3+ years.
Old 1st March 2010, 21:56   #1747
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Guys, try Waxpol or Turtle once and you shall forego these pocket burning expenditures. Member Sonirohit mentioned a easy DIY technique for Waxpol in another thread. Apply Waxpol and let it dry for a good half-an-hour; post this go panel by panel apply another layer of Waxpol and buff immediately. This saves you the tedious exercise as the new layer facilitates quick and easy buffing/

Sohail, no offence meant but I saw my uncle's blue i20 and there is hardly any difference in the pics you put up and his car. The colour itself has a lot of glaze but waxing does help in the long term. Hyundai's are not prone to early fading of paint considering my car which got its 1st wax after 3+ years.
I had turtle wax, costed me Rs 275 Rs i guess and used it about 10 times in all which means 27.5 per use. It did NOT last as long so used it almost once in 10 days( on 2 cars hence 50 days in all)
Meguiars NXT cost about Rs 1000 and i have used it about 5 times and its so thick that its good for about 20-25 times more.
Which means about 30 times and 35 rs per use. Not much higher than Turtle but MUCH better. Waxpol i do not even consider as its not in the same league. I think quality comes with some cost, so maybe its not that expensive to use Meguiars which is way better. Just my opinion and experience, so surely one can decide whats best based on interest, pocket etc.
I agree about paint not fading, in fact i NEVER waxed any of my cars in the 9 years that i have had cars, always used Polish which was silicone based and they were in the prime condition( based on feedback from all my friends who used to admire them) until i came across this waxing bug .

Last edited by mkh : 1st March 2010 at 22:00.
Old 1st March 2010, 22:17   #1748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post

maybe your uncle is a detailing buff too!

btw my i20 has been to bodyshop 2 times due to dents that were caused while the car was parked! + the dents caused by rishabh Hyundai (I'm never going back there)

+ their repaint quality was literally sh!z!!(clearcoat not rubbed properly, paint over-sprays over normal panels (which weren't supposed to be painted)etc.)

though they were not that apparent due to tech wax masking, but I always used to feel them deep within me!

my i20's rear left door which was repainted by them had literally lost its gloss!
I revived the clear with UC and glazed it!

Its just that after all the paint correction etc. my i20 is looking so much awesomer than it was before!

but now it definitely looks stunning as compared to how it looked, when I took the delivery!
Old 1st March 2010, 22:20   #1749
BHPian

Nothing absolutely nothing beats 'Waxpol' when it comes to the amount of time for which it can stay on the car & retain its shine as well as beading water effectively, at least in my opinion and on top of this the price of Waxpol makes it all the more attractive.

Last edited by maglev : 1st March 2010 at 22:22.
Old 1st March 2010, 22:24   #1750
BHPian

@sohail99 for how much did the techwax 2.0 paste costs you ???
Old 1st March 2010, 22:31   #1751
Senior - BHPian

MKH, you haven't checked TBHP's other threads. How good can a 9 year old Indica look, ask drpullock (Maglev, correct me on his name). Nothing can BEAT Waxpol and quality comes at a cost isn't apt. The next person after Drpullock to use Waxpol successfully is Maglev and I honestly believe his words for Waxpol.
Old 1st March 2010, 22:35   #1752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
@sohail99 for how much did the techwax 2.0 paste costs you ???
I just ordered one from AMAZON. Here is the link. My SIL is coming from there ,so asked her to bring it for me.

Amazon.com: Meguiar's G12711 NXT Tech Wax - Paste: Automotive

I was using Mothers California Gold Carnuba Wax which is costlier but is all natural unlike Tech Wax which is synthetic but seeing Sohail use it with good effect, decided to give it a try and it is cheaper.

Btw used the Mothers Clay bar kit and the result on our 10 year old santro was awesome. Used it only on the bonnet and it is silky smooth now . Followed it with a cleaner wax, sealer and 2 coats of wax . One of my dads friends saw teh car and asked if he had got it professionally polished !

Waxpol has been available in INDIA for a very long time and there were detailing enthusiasts much before our time who have used the plain waxpol wax to very good effect .Ofcourse the newer waxes are better but waxpol is still the best costeffective and easily available waxes in india.

Last edited by -NUT-case : 1st March 2010 at 22:51.
Old 1st March 2010, 22:45   #1753
BHPian

what is cost of techwax 2.0 paste & Mothers Clay bar kit in indian rupees ????
Old 1st March 2010, 22:50   #1754
BHPian

Techwax 2 - 13$ = App 600Rs

Mothers claybar Kit - 15$ = App 700Rs

These are prices in the USA and they have freeshipping from AMAZON but only within the USA.

If you have anybody coming from there you can ask them to bring them.

Shipping them to india would cost more .
Old 1st March 2010, 22:52   #1755
BHPian

can you order for me also ??? i will deposit money in your bank account and bear the courior charges.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks