Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2010, 22:07   #1831
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
SCRATCH X ROCKS!!!
Wonder what meguiars is thinking- going by the way our roads are, this product will sell in tons to those who care about their cars...they must bring this soon.
Sorry could not post pics-wanted to, but in my anxiety, forgot.
MKH, try 3M's Liquid Wax and Bruise marks (that of other object's paint) are successfully removed (90% of the time). In event that the desired result is not obtained, try 3M's Finesse It Rubbing Compound and post-rubbing wax it. I'm referring this as this is way cheaper and does the same job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
Where did you pick up the Scratch X ? And have you tried the ultimate compound ? I was told that the Ultimate compound is even better

Cheers

Sateesh
Try the 3M stuff referred above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
As long as the panels look like the normal painted stuff, wax should work find on it. I use Turtle Wax on both my bikes ...and on the plastic side panels, fairing, etc. On the plastic parts (non painted surface), fairing visor, speedo, etc. I use F1 Dashboard cleaner.

In any case, I don't think there is a dedicated product for use on plastic/ABS parts which have normal paint like surface.
Where've you been? The Detailing threads have lost their charm as people like you, Parm and Bigman have not been active lately.
Old 12th March 2010, 21:49   #1832
Senior - BHPian

3M Finesse-It is one hell of a clear cutter!!

just rub in one spot for lil' longer and you get a depression in the area!!

btw I bought 'Eagle1 Nanowax spray' for use as booster wax

results are really impressive!

Got a 'just waxed' look in a little over 15 minutes!
Now I just need to compare Megs UltimateQuikWax with nanowax spray!

then we'll decide the winner!
Old 12th March 2010, 21:55   #1833
Senior - BHPian

You're the first person whose negative about 3M's Finesse It rubbing compound. The key to right result lies in the correct usage. If one rubs hard obviously any good part will give away and the paint will be gone. In the end, it's an abrasive.

Moreover, the Nanowax being referred has been non-advised by the oldies in Detailing.
Old 12th March 2010, 22:15   #1834
Senior - BHPian

No no no!! 3M Finesse It is totally awesome!!

Actually my mom's U-VA had some blemishes and paint spots!
3M Finesse It really worked like a charm on those spots etc!

after finesse-it, I used UC to remove the scratches left behind by the compound and the overall finish was perfect!
Applied 2 coats of wax to seal!
Old 12th March 2010, 22:27   #1835
BHPian

^^ if you are usung UC then dont need to use 3M Finesse It .
Old 12th March 2010, 22:31   #1836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post

The paint is being below the clear coat and the paint actually being scratched, what is the alternative? Have used it with good results and as others said, it all depends on proper usage. It is of course a rubbing compound but with very fine particles as far as I know.
Old 12th March 2010, 22:37   #1837
BHPian

i always use 3M Finesse It with bare hands.
Old 12th March 2010, 22:53   #1838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
^^ if you are usung UC then dont need to use 3M Finesse It .
Actually UC cuts initially and then starts to breakdown!(requires multiple passes)

3M maintains its cutting power as its abrasives don't degrade and are suitable for stubborn blemishes and spots!
Old 12th March 2010, 22:54   #1839
BHPian

^^ from where did you get UC from ???
Old 12th March 2010, 23:14   #1840
Senior - BHPian

from US via 20north.com A lil' too expensive, but kinda reliable!
Old 12th March 2010, 23:59   #1841
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
The paint is being below the clear coat and the paint actually being scratched, what is the alternative? Have used it with good results and as others said, it all depends on proper usage. It is of course a rubbing compound but with very fine particles as far as I know.
Janitha, for paint bruises first try something like 3M Liquid Wax which does the job 90% of the time. A green Auto bruised against my friend's White i20 and 3M Liquid Wax was able to remove 90% of the marks. The sole abrasive nature of 3M's Finesse It makes me use it as a last resort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post

Man, simple play of words can totally convey a different meaning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
i always use 3M Finesse It with bare hands.
Same here. For complete polishing I suggest Professionals to do the job.
Old 13th March 2010, 01:16   #1842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Where've you been? The Detailing threads have lost their charm as people like you, Parm and Bigman have not been active lately.
Finding it difficult to keep up with different forums I'm on, due to time constraints. :( Also, since most of my work involves sitting in front of a screen, doing more of it is straining my blinkers. At this rate maybe you will also find a dull looking Raccoon scurrying on Opthalmic forums, Headache forums, etc...

Thanks for missing me tho...
Old 13th March 2010, 13:43   #1843
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
MKH, try 3M's Liquid Wax and Bruise marks (that of other object's paint) are successfully removed (90% of the time). In event that the desired result is not obtained, try 3M's Finesse It Rubbing Compound and post-rubbing wax it. I'm referring this as this is way cheaper and does the same job.

I have the 3M liquid wax- wonder how would a wax remove bruise marks. Used it today(3M Perfect It Liquid wax)- did not see the bruise marks go. Wax at times covers up the marks, but once wax layer gone, the marks will come back. I have seen this with the Paste Waxes. Only if there is another objects paint that comes on top of your paint will wax work, but if there is a SCRATCH, it will not.
Rubbing compound will remove a layer of paint hence will clear it away completely
BTW the 3M products you are referring to- are these the ones sold in india? I have seen 3M wax, but not the rubbing compound.
The 3M rub comp is used at detailing centers and also sold in the US. Scratch X is cheaper than 3M rub Comp.
3M i feel is a leader and tad better quality than Meguiars in all products but costs more( from the US). Have not tried the indian prods, but surely they will be lesser in terms of quality than their US brothers.
Old 13th March 2010, 18:09   #1844
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Session

Went in for a detailing session today to try out my latest shipments from the US

I used the microfiber- blue set i had got, its fantastic. It cannot be used for detailing as its toooo thick. But for buffing, man it feels better than our bath towel!!! Almost felt like i could take a bath with it!
I got another set - Smart Wax Supra Towels, they are almost comparable with the blue ones, posting some pics of those too. The thickness is almost same, plushness little lesser.
Both these are my set for wax removal and buffing
I used the 3M liquid wax- Show car Liquid Wax. Applying was easy, however removal had small challenge as the parts where it dried most and little more was applied, removing needed some extra effort. This is not what i have experienced with Meguiars Paste wax also, where removal was easier.
The effect is decent- frankly i think for our use all of them are the same, only that different packaging and different brand. (except for Turtle wax, which MY EXPERIENCE says is inferior to these)
Also pics of my arsenal of car care products( minus ScratchX which also i have but does not figure in the pic). I also got Waxpol Rubbing Compound, but i found it no good.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_1042.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_1043.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_1044.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_1060.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-sta_1054.jpg  

Last edited by mkh : 13th March 2010 at 18:11.
Old 13th March 2010, 18:34   #1845
Senior - BHPian

Hi mkh,

Have you used Meg. Ultimate Compound ?
whether it's worthy to buy to remove small clear coat scratches?
what is the price?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks