Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2021, 08:16   #11236
Senior - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

I'm using Muc-Off rust protect spray for few years now. First it removes rust, then prevents - thereby saving the surface. You can do anything over it (Polish or paint once rust is contained). Only thing is its from the USA and is quite expensive, so I use it sparingly
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985Darkkid85 View Post
How do u get rid of rust spots (small ones) on my car fender?Will spraying W.D.40 loosen the rust and then I could probably paint over with a Sketch pen or permanent markers?
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_8918.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 08:47   #11237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I'm using Muc-Off rust protect spray for few years now. First it removes rust, then prevents - thereby saving the surface. You can do anything over it (Polish or paint once rust is contained). Only thing is its from the USA and is quite expensive, so I use it sparingly

Do we need to sand the surface and paint it?
What about the primer & base coat?

My rusting is very small , so am planning to touch up with a Sketch pen.

Edit: This product is not available anywhere now, not even on Amazon usa.

Any other alternative options?

Last edited by 1985Darkkid85 : 1st May 2021 at 08:51.
Old 1st May 2021, 10:07   #11238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
What was the name of the product? I can't seem to find it online. Any alternative product you are aware of?
These are the two I have used

https://www.amazon.in/Meguiars-Diamond-Cut-Compound-100/dp/B07QR78QX8/ref=asc_df_B07QR78QX8/?tag=googleshopdes-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=396988773486&hvpos=&hvnetw= g&hvrand=6996770338848832715&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt =&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007768&hvt argid=pla-1144642096540&psc=1&ext_vrnc=hi

https://www.flipkart.com/3m-car-poli...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Enclosing a couple of snaps of my 7 year old car taken this morning without any cleaning which should give you a fair idea on what to expect.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-tjet-010521-2100.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-tjet-010521-100.jpg
keroo1099 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 18:22   #11239
Senior - BHPian

Last Sunday I did a full external detail of my car which was bought in December. The gloss is very evident even though its a new car than before the detail. The steps I did were:

1. Rinse and then foam wash.
2. Touch was with a microfiber mitt.
3. Claybar.
4. Turtle wax ice spray sealant.
5. Wheels and tyres cleaned before rest of the car with turtle wax wheel n tire cleaner.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20210501_184907.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20210501_185519.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20210501_185012.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20210501_184927.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20210501_184840.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20210501_184836.jpg  

straight6 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 00:23   #11240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Last Sunday I did a full external detail of my car which was bought in December. The gloss is very evident even though its a new car than before the detail. The steps I did were:

1. Rinse and then foam wash.
2. Touch was with a microfiber mitt.
3. Claybar.
4. Turtle wax ice spray sealant.
5. Wheels and tyres cleaned before rest of the car with turtle wax wheel n tire cleaner.
My car is also from December. I'm still trying to understand detailing. For now, I'm just planning to do a wax occasionally, after my waterless wash. I'm too lazy to go beyond that. I've ordered a Turtle Super Hard Shell liquid wax. Just wanted to ask, is there a reason for using a claybar before waxing, on a fairly new car?
Old 3rd May 2021, 01:15   #11241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopaneel View Post
My car is also from December. I'm still trying to understand detailing. For now, I'm just planning to do a wax occasionally, after my waterless wash. I'm too lazy to go beyond that. I've ordered a Turtle Super Hard Shell liquid wax. Just wanted to ask, is there a reason for using a claybar before waxing, on a fairly new car?
Even a new car, especially in our country has contaminants on the clear coat as they're parked in the open at stock yards, transported from factory to dealers etc. You only need to use it twice a year max. Next time I'll also use an iron remover.
straight6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 02:35   #11242
BHPian

Cross posting from a different thread: Process of cleaning and applying some protection to my car.

Followed usual MO but spread out on 2 days of the weekend this time around.

Day 1:

-Pressure washed the car with Waxpol snow foam :Car was too dirty to use any dry method of cleaning. So had to use the snow foam twice with the help of pressure washer. First time to loosen any caked mud/dirt and washed it off without touching the paint with the help pressure washer. Second time, after snow spray - used 2 bucket method to clean the surface with 'clean bucket' water mixed with Proklear RAW Extreme .

Day 2:

-Used Proklear APC for cleaning to get rid off any contaminants and to remove old residues

-I wanted to try out a cheap Clay Towel listed on Amazon.in [of Wavex brand]. But it turned out to be of no use. When the towel was delivered, the clay surface was stuck to opposite layer. After reporting this to Wavex, I got the second towel promptly delivered from them. Sadly even this turned out to have the same issue of clay surface sticking to itself. I tried using whatever clay surface available for cleaning the paint, but it didn't do it's job of picking any contaminants. It felt like rubbing a rubber sheet against paint - and this is after clay towel was submerged in warm water for few minutes. Finally I used the last bit of unbranded Amazon.in Clay lying around -which did a good job as usual. APC was used as clay lubricant here.

-Followed it up with clean water wash
-Dried the car completely with couple of microfiber towels
-Used Turtle Wax polishing compound to take care of some scratches on the bonnet with generous amount of elbow grease
-Cleaned the surface with a combination of IPA + Water
-Added a coat of Turtle Wax ICE Seal and Shine - easiest thing to do
-Followed up with Proklear Carnauba Liquid Wax
-For tyres, I applied Wavex Matt Black spray and wiped it off after few mintues
-Same MO for black plastic trims , applied Turtle Wax on trims and wiped off excess product after few mins

Wavex Clay Towel:
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20210418_152630.jpg

Regular Clay with APC as lube:
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20210418_125603.jpg

Contaminants picked up:
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20210418_125752.jpg

and the result after 2 days of work on the car:
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20210418_144549.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20210418_144801.jpg

Products used on this session of cleaning:
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20210418_150156.jpg

Last edited by somspaple : 3rd May 2021 at 02:49.
somspaple is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 21:15   #11243
BHPian

Folks I have applied the Turtle Wax (Ceramic + Graphene) paste wax 2 days back on my vehicle and I am planning to top it off with Sonax BSD where it will act as Last Stage Protection.
Is that a good idea or should I use a different product like Carpro Hydr02 or something else as a topper?
Based on my research there is no harm in topping a wax with a sealant but I wanted to check with the members if anyone has done something similar and what are their views.
Link for Turtle Wax Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showt...errerid=574755 (Turtle Wax (Ceramic + Graphene) Paste Wax | Reliving the waxing nostalgia again))
Old 6th May 2021, 15:15   #11244
BHPian

Quote:
Folks I have applied the Turtle Wax (Ceramic + Graphene) paste wax 2 days back on my vehicle and I am planning to top it off with Sonax BSD where it will act as Last Stage Protection.
Is that a good idea or should I use a different product like Carpro Hydr02 or something else as a topper?
While topping off the existing wax coating with another sealant might increase its life marginally, it will definitely be a step down in terms of gloss and undermine the overall appeal of your hard work.

Why don't you just let the graphene coating be as it is. I'm guessing it should offer you 2-3 months of protection and post that maybe you can try to top it off with BSD / HydrO2 or any other detailer for replenishment.
anantpoddar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 19:08   #11245
BHPian

Quote:
Generally, it is wax on top of sealant. So Sonax BSD should be applied first and on top of that, wax. Anything on top of wax won't stick and will get removed easily.
jothishX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 19:32   #11246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantpoddar View Post
While topping off the existing wax coating with another sealant might increase its life marginally, it will definitely be a step down in terms of gloss and undermine the overall appeal of your hard work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jothishX View Post
Generally, it is wax on top of sealant. So Sonax BSD should be applied first and on top of that, wax. Anything on top of wax won't stick and will get removed easily.
I actually forgot to add that the vehicle was ceramic coated 2 years back and the coating is still kinda holding up(Of course not at its max but yes at least part of it what I can make out).
That's why I chemically decontaminated the paint with IronX and Spotless before adding the wax layer.
Based upon the research I did online the reviews are mixed for instance youtube has videos for the best Wax and Sealent combos(Fusco topped by BSD) and others alike. The views are mixed across platforms where some are in favour and some against.
But I understand your suggestions and the best way would be to do some experimentation.
Here is what I am planning to do:-

Door 1(Driver side ie Front Right)->No Topping
Door2(Rear Right)->Top it with BSD
Door3(Passenger side ie Front Left)->Additional layer of Wax(Turtle Wax)
Door4(Rear Left)->No Topping

Now I will test it in real-world conditions and see which combination or standalone product lasts longer.

Last edited by Artyom : 6th May 2021 at 19:49.
Old 9th May 2021, 19:00   #11247
BHPian

Finally tried megs ceramic spray wax today. No surface prep done except a wash with a car shampoo as car was last detailed months ago and since last month was just collecting dust after the cleaner left for his home. Quite liked the results with the ease of use. Water beading also good. My car is 5.5 years old.

Also showing results of Turtlewax trim restorer for black parts. It works quite well though lasts around a month for outer areas. On dashboard lasts longer.

Will soon do a comparison with turtlewax ceramic spray coating that I have also used since last year.

Water beading:
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20210509_182708.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20210509_182928.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20210509_183024.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20210509_182811.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20210509_185416.jpg  

Mr. Nobody is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 21:53   #11248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Even a new car, especially in our country has contaminants on the clear coat as they're parked in the open at stock yards, transported from factory to dealers etc. You only need to use it twice a year max. Next time I'll also use an iron remover.
Sorry, if I'm annoying the purists, but do I risk any damage if I follow-up a wash (waterless) with just a wax? I don't have the patience for claying or polishing. I did this yesterday and was fairly satisfied with the results. My car has not yet completed six months.
Old 10th May 2021, 02:18   #11249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopaneel View Post
Sorry, if I'm annoying the purists, but do I risk any damage if I follow-up a wash (waterless) with just a wax? I don't have the patience for claying or polishing. I did this yesterday and was fairly satisfied with the results. My car has not yet completed six months.
I don't see any harm in doing that however it's recommended to wait for 12-24 hours after waxing the car for the wax to cure.

On a side note there are few suggestions:-

1. Polishing/Compounding is primarily to remove swirls and scratches and if the paint is fairly in good condition then this step is not compulsory.

2.Claying is to remove any bonded contaminants which might resist the bonding of waxes or sealants with the paint. Again the same logic applies here as above.

3.Trust me claying is a tiresome process and once that is done polishing /compounding is required in most cases as claying will impart swirls .So the decision of performing these steps is a major one. Alternative options are performing chemical decontamination using Iron remover and hard water spots removal which is easy on effort and removes quite a good amount of gunk but again nothing compares to mechanical decontamination(Claying and Polishing). Both chemical or mechanical decon has to be done once in a while depending upon the paint condition.

Maybe next time you plan to put a layer of wax you might want to do chemical decon and then wax/seal it and I bet it will stay longer.
Artyom is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 17:56   #11250
BHPian

As a kid I used to assist my dad wash his cars. At the time it seemed more like a punishment, but slowly it grew on me. Now, 20 Years later, the same activity is therapeutic, greatly satisfying and never ending to the extent that my Parents have Labelled it as an 'OCD'. I can never seem to have enough of washing, cleaning and polishing my cars, bikes and cycles.

Now with the lockdown in place, I see it as a blessing. With the entire family back home, I am spoilt for choice between 4 cars, 2 bikes and cycle. Every other evening I get my two buckets and kit out to clean the dirtiest vehicle of the lot.

In my defense, no I don't go over board with polishing and waxing each vehicle every time (It might be every 3rd occurrence per vehicle, which falls to be once a week ).

I started reading about DIY detailing 2 years back and had a few products already lying around at the time to try my hands on. It wasn't too long before my search for better products started filling up my kart andthe need for better products grew. I still don't have everything I desire, but slow and steady wins the race.

My Arsenal Details are as below:

- Pre-Wash :

I first rinse the car lightly with a hose and then

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-wash.jpg

1. Wavex APC and Degreaser - Spray On the Bumpers, Grills, Wheel Wells and front Cowl and agitate with soft Bristle brush (Tip - Get a few 3 Inch Paint Brushes, They usually have very soft bristles and don't cause any damage).

For my bikes I Spray this on the Rims to remove the slung lube, the hoses, the crash guard and Chain cover. Works like a charm to remove grease and oil stains.

2. Armor All Wheel Cleaner - I Spray it directly on the tyres and rims and let it sit for 2-3 Mins, then agitate it with my Plastic wheel Brush. I Use a soft Bristle Conical Brush to get between the rim spokes.

3. Motul Chain Clean C1- This is an additional step I follow for my Bikes before the actual wash stage. I use a chain cleaner brush to agigate and loosen the much before going for another round of spray to remove the much.

I follow this up with a thorough rinse to remove all the strong chemicals.

- Wash Process :

I mostly use a 2 Bucket Wash method using a Formula 1 Micro Fiber Mitt as I am yet to buy my own Pressure washer, but once in a while I borrow my Neighbor's Bosch Aquatak when the need arises.

4a. Formula 1 Wash and Wax Concentrate - Two Good Squirts in about 4-5 Liters of water, Dip my wash mitt and start washing it from Top to bottom, rinsing my mitt in clean water every time.

4b. Turtle Wax Carnauba Tropical Wash and Wax - I recently ordered this product and took more than a week to deliver. I am very eager to try it out, Its not as viscous as the Formula 1 but seems sticky and smells amazing.

5. Drying Towel - I dry all painted panels using a thick 840 GSM drying towel. The absorption power is amazing, dries streak free with a single swipe and I don't even need to flip sides.

6. Regular Micro Fiber - For the Wheels, Bumper use Regular 320 GSM Microfibers by SoftSpun. I have been very happy with their performance.

- Post Wash :

I ordered a set of Micro Fiber Application pads from Softspun, I have kept one pad for each product.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-post-wash.jpg

7. Meguairs Ultimate Polish - This polish is used every 3 months. It give a very clean smooth surface, This is one of the best Consumer grade polishes out there according to me.

8. 3M Premium Liquid Wax - This is a topping I use over the Polish to give that extra shine and sheen. This Wax is nothing to write home about, its quick, does a decent job that is it. Its easy to spread, dries to a haze and buffs off easily.

9. Formula 1 Carnauba Paste Wax - This is the Wax I use when I have a lot time on hand. The paste is thick, requires some elbow grease to spread, and dries to a haze that requires a little more effort o buff off, but the shine is considerably better that 3M's Liquid Wax.

I'm searching for a good Wax to replace these two.

10. Meguairs Hybrid Ceramic Spray Wax - Got this from US back in 2019 for a Mere 7$ at a discounted sale, haven't really used it much. Spray Waxes don't really inspire confidence. I plan to use this over my wax as a sealant.

11. Turtle Wax Trim Restorer - I follow up the wax with this trim restorer on all the cladding, the front wiper cowl, bumper inserts, ORWM Plastics and Roof Rails. I like how it works and gives that rich depth to plastics, although I would've liked better longevity as the effect lasts only a month.

12. Wavex Matt Finish Tyre Dresser - I prefer Matt Finish Tyre dressers over the Wet Finish ones. Wavex was one of the only ones found out there that was economical and gave a good Matt Finish. The finish is very pleasing and doesn't pick as much dirt. I dress my tyres in every wash.

13. Motul Chain Lube C2 - I had been using this lube for Bike's Chain, does the job but leave s a pathetic mess all over the bike and is a pain to cleanup on every wash. I have stopped using this as my Primary Lube.

14. Putoline Tech Chain - Was recently introduced to this amazing Dry lube. No Slings, no Mess, doesn't pick up dirt and lasts longer. All this totally justifies the higher price. A new practice ive started, is that I Lube the O-rings very Lightly with my Motul C2 and Top it off with the Putoline to lock it into place.

- Clean Up

After every wash I Spray a bit of APC on my Wash Mitt, Micro Fibers cloths and the Application Pads. Leave for a bit and agitate it lightly with hands. Next I rinse it thoroughly under water and leave them out to hang dry. The APC helps remove all the dirt, grease, brake Dust, Oils, Wax and Polish from the Cloths and Pads without damaging the Fibres. Next, Soak the Brushes in APC, followed by agitation and a thorough rinse.Once everything is dry I put them back in my tray and store it in a cupboard to avoid dust getting in.

I go out for a good 20 Kms spin everyday after work either on the bike or on my car, which ever is cleaner

My cycle gets a free clean with the other vehicles once every week. I use the same shampoo and a Microfibre Cloth to apply it. I do not use APC as it can damage the bearings and remove the grease, hence i agitate the shampoo itself using a soft bristle brush. This is followed by a through rinse and wipe down. I apply the left over Tyre dresser on the pads onto the cycle tyres and yes you can call me crazy.

I Usually don't polish my interiors, I just clean all surfaces using a damp microfiber towel, and in extreme cases, use a very Diluted APC with soft Brush to get into the depths.

All this takes me anywhere between 30 Mins to an hour depending what I'm working on, and the satisfaction at the end of it priceless and yes there are days i go overboard too.

Wishlist

I know there are a lot of places I can and should improve, so looking for a review from the experts on this thread. Also need suggestions for products that I should add to the kitty.

I have a wish list for the following products :

1. 303 Aerospace Protectant - As a UV protectant and coating for all Plastic and Leathers Inside the Cabin. I love that it leaves a matt finish and is dry to touch.

2. Paste Wax - I am looking for a good replacement for my 3M and Formula. I have currently ordered a Turtle Wax Hard Shell Paste wax to try it out. Meguiars are expensive but would love to get a Ultimate Wax or the Gold Class. Any suggestion, for something that is good and pocket friendly?

3. DA Polisher - Want to get my hands at machine polishing, I bought a rotary Polisher and within no time packed it and kept it aside, learning that it is more harmful than useful if used without proper skill. DA Polishers are known to be more forgiving. Rupes is the leading manufacturer and comes at a hefty 24k. Are there any other alternatives?

4. Pressure Washer - I have been researching on the ones from Bosch and Karcher. However, i find more value in the ones from JPT and StarQ not just economically, but also with the flexibility of getting Foam Lances, and quick adaptors.

5. Meguairs Ultimate Compound - This shall be added once I get my hands on a DA polisher, go get rid of those swirls and haze.

6. Sealant/Detailer - Whether I should buy a proper paint Sealant or a detailer.

Ending this long post with a few random pictures of the results, Apologies for the quality and that all weren't clicked to highlight the finish..

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-interceptor-1-2019.jpg
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-interceptor-2-2019.jpg
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-compass-2017-.jpg
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-swift1-2018.jpg
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-thar1-2013.jpg
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-trek21.jpg
damanbir is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks