Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2021, 20:06   #11311
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Steep at 750 rupees, but damn is it good.

I brushed the tire hard with just water and soap, and nothing happened, the water just slid off like the rubber was ceramic coated or something

But as soon as I sprayed the cleaner and brushed it, all the white foam turned brown and pulled the embedded dirt out. My wheels had a lot of tar and brake dust deposited which Wouldn't go no matter how hard I rubbed/brushed.

This dissolved it in a matter of seconds.
I wish I found it when my car was 7 years younger and didn't have so many scars on its legs(wheels)

It's shown me how much better the right chemical cleaner can be in comparison to physical methods. But I'm equally afraid of the big blackhole that this opens for me. I dared to purchase this product, and I think it will consume me slowly, with me buying more and more products as time goes on.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20210716_185601.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20210716_185231.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20210716_185553.jpg  

Last edited by viXit : 16th July 2021 at 20:15.
viXit is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 17:51   #11312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post

It's shown me how much better the right chemical cleaner can be in comparison to physical methods. But I'm equally afraid of the big blackhole that this opens for me. I dared to purchase this product, and I think it will consume me slowly, with me buying more and more products as time goes on.
It will consume you slowly, viXit

This pandemic, I watched a lot of detailing videos and tried out a couple of products. Absolutely into it now. The result of us working on our rides coupled with good products makes this process very satisfying.

I too started with 3M, Meguiars and now after trying out Gyeon/CarPro- I've decided to take it slow One look at their catalogue, I feel like I want to try everything.
The Riddler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 12:53   #11313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post
It will consume you slowly, viXit

This pandemic, I watched a lot of detailing videos and tried out a couple of products. Absolutely into it now. The result of us working on our rides coupled with good products makes this process very satisfying.

I too started with 3M, Meguiars and now after trying out Gyeon/CarPro- I've decided to take it slow One look at their catalogue, I feel like I want to try everything.
Thankfully for me, I was watching all the videos and guides you mention when I did not have any cash to spend. Helped keep things in check

Me and BHPian Varun_Hexaguy are undertaking certain experiments to find cheap ways of detailing well, will post here if our exploits are succesful
viXit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2021, 09:49   #11314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
My opinion is that he might be right: microfibre, due to its structure, traps small particles and lifts them off. However, dust has its larger particles too, and I wouldn't want to rub those across the paint with any kind of cloth.

On the other hand, a common microfibre mistake is using it soaking wet, like a rag. This is ok for actual washing in that it is better than a cotton rag, but the deep-cleaning ability of microfibre works at its best dry or slightly damp. You can see this on kitchen surfaces, where it can remove grease dry. Or spectacles: the dry microfibre glass cloth removes the oily layer, whereas cotton just spreads it around.

Disclosure: I am a microfibre fanboy, and have been for many years. I'm shocked and disappointed to find that us fanboys are actually harming the environment! Every time we wash our precious cloths, towels, etc, micro particles are rushing to the sea. Ever feel like you just can't win?
Cross posting from a different thread as this one has experts in the field of car detailing and it seems that I am doing something wrong with my MF cloths. As can be seen above post. I'm open to suggestions.

Below is the routine I have been following for my Swift Dzire since 2009, the car was not used much in city mostly long drives (90k Km in 12 years) and was always in a covered garage or basement. Past tense used, since I recently sold the vehicle.

I NEVER dry dust the car. I wait till the car is gets dusty, which is approximately in a week, then I wash it. First I wet the whole car with a few mugs of water and then I use shampoo (Sunsilk Black sachet is very convenient) in a small bucket applied with a MF cloth first the glass area and then the body starting from the top and ending at the bottom. Separate MF for the wheels.

Thereafter wash off the shampoo with a bucket and a half of water and dry the car with another MF cloth in the same sequence as I shampooed it. Then I go over the interiors with a damp MF cloth (same one I used for drying the car) and dust out the carpets.

Collinite 845 once in 3/4 months was adequate to keep the gloss and ensure that water beads always. Incidentally the water beading is lost earliest on the roof and bonnet which is a sign that waxing is due.

Mothers Clay Bar used once or twice a year especially after monsoon.

That's it and here are some pics of the vehicle before I sold it.
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dzire-1.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dzire2.jpg
I do pretty much the same on my newish i20 and the showroom gloss has remained so far. A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20210626_124551_dro.jpg
goandude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2021, 18:35   #11315
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Cross posting from a different thread as this one has experts in the field of car detailing and it seems that I am doing something wrong with my MF cloths. As can be seen above post. I'm open to suggestions.
If you mean using your mf cloths soaking wet to wash, no that's fine. When you use them to dry, they are also going to get wet.

But I am the very opposite. I actually only wash my car once in a while,but have to dust it for every outing. Even one day, or overnight, is enough in this area, due to broken roads, building activity, etc, to cover the car in dust. To deal with this, I use the Jopasu duster. I only use cloths on the glass.

Your cars look beautiful: you take much better care of them than I do of mine!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 07:09   #11316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josethundiyil99 View Post
But, if you are planning to get the Turtle wax Ice seal N shine, you may no longer need the RainX. From what I've heard about the seal N shine, it can be applied to ANY surface and the effects will be there for about 3 to 6 months. I've just applied it to my car. Will give updates on it later.
UPDATE: I've tried the Ice SNS on my windshield with a new set of wipers (Bosch Clear advantage) and it started to squeak and vibrate. I thought it was the new wipers and tested it with a separate set but didn't work. Then I added RainX on top of that and the squeaking was instantly gone. But, still there are some vibrations, maybe because of the SNS underneath.

RainX for the windshield
Those who have used SNS, please give your reviews too.
Old 2nd August 2021, 20:43   #11317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singer_Shower View Post
Pardon my idiotic question, but the owner of the car accessory shop from where I bought the microfiber cloth vouched it can be used to clean dust from the car exterior without using water or any other liquids (waterless). I asked him repeatedly whether not using water will leave scratches, but he said it won't and the cloth is perfectly safe for using that way.

What is your opinion?
Please do not take advice from someone who stands to gain by selling you something (towels in this case) it’s like asking a car salesman.

Firstly, never use a microfibre or any other type of towel to wipe dust off your paints surface, no matter how lightly you do it, be it wet or dry you will leave micromarring on the clearcoat (fine swirls). The only safe method to clean if you want it to be perfectly safe is to use to pressure washer (110 bar minimum) to pre risne the surface contaminants before you foam it with a cannon and use the multi mitt method to wipe small sections of the paint before switching to a fresh mitt (safer than 2 bucket method), also eliminates the need for grit guards or a second bucket. Finally rinse off with the pressure washer and follow with an electric air blower to dry the paint surface, in case of any remaining water you can use plush microfibres but dab only, avoid wiping.

I understand that it’s not easy to do all the above when washing but as I’ve found over the years it’s the only safe method, specially with soft clearcoats found on most Japs/Koreans. Golden rule, not washing is always preferable to washing incorrectly and damaging your finish. In case you’re unable to use the above method, you can do a waterless wash (use at least 6-8 towels to minimise wiping with a contaminated side) but it will inflict light swirls over time, still preferable to dry wiping, never dry wipe/dust. Cheers
AJ56 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2021, 19:32   #11318
BHPian

Quote:
UPDATE: I've tried the Ice SNS on my windshield with a new set of wipers (Bosch Clear advantage) and it started to squeak and vibrate. I thought it was the new wipers and tested it with a separate set but didn't work. Then I added RainX on top of that and the squeaking was instantly gone. But, still there are some vibrations, maybe because of the SNS underneath.
Can I use Meguiars Ultimate Compound on glass to remove the SNS? Also, on which all surfaces can we use the Meguiars Ultimate Compound? (Hand application)
Old 8th August 2021, 23:15   #11319
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd say, stick to glass polish/compound for glass. It is a lot harder than paint.
Old 9th August 2021, 00:08   #11320
BHPian

Quote:
Can I use Meguiars Ultimate Compound on glass to remove the SNS? Also, on which all surfaces can we use the Meguiars Ultimate Compound? (Hand application)
Yes you can. Glass is nearly impossible to swirl up with a rubbing compound unlike paint, so any abrasive that works on paint will strip the glass of any sealant it has on (including Turtle seal n shine). You don’t necessarily need a rubbing compound, even a finishing polish will do just fine. Make sure to IPA wipe prior to applying protection.

Megs UC can be used on paint (including single stage), glass, piano black trim (interior + exterior), headlights/taillights, basically any glossy finish. Keep away from matte plastic trim. Cheers.
AJ56 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 00:32   #11321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can remove the SNS with a couple of wipedowns of 30% Isopropyl alcohol (spirit) available at medical shops.
You can use UC on all painted panels. It doesn't whiten black plastic trim as much as other polishes but avoid getting it on there.
Mortis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 00:45   #11322
BHPian

Quote:
Since you are going to follow the application by hand route I would suggest this .
I recently bought this and haven't got a chance to use it but it feels sturdy and perfect for those jobs done by hand
Just don't go by the photos alone. Its almost the size of an average adult hand in length and breadth and covers a pretty good surface area.
The regular round pads are small and cumbersome to use especially when it comes to applying compounds

https://www.greenzcarcare.com/produc...ax-applicator/

Last edited by Artyom : 9th August 2021 at 00:48.
Artyom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 00:52   #11323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
Since you are going to follow the application by hand route I would suggest this .
I recently bought this and haven't got a chance to use it but it feels sturdy and perfect for those jobs done by hand
Just don't go by the photos alone. Its almost the size of an average adult hand in length and breadth and covers a pretty good surface area.
The regular round pads are small and cumbersome to use especially when it comes to applying compounds

https://www.greenzcarcare.com/produc...ax-applicator/
I was also considering the same! Since I've just completed a full car polishing and also because I haven't shopped on Greenz before, I decided to wait.
Please do update your review once you've used the applicator.
josethundiyil99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 13:55   #11324
Senior - BHPian

Hi, Took out my 11 year old pack of Mother's clay to clay my 4 month old car as the bonnet and roof were feeling rough. The pack has two bars of clay, one of which I have been using all these years. A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20210812_132935.jpgLast time I had used the clay bar was probably a year ago. Now I opened the other, fresh packet of clay and during use I found it to be clinging to the skin of my fingers and nails. However, it did the job well, that is the finish of the paint has been restored to silky smooth and glossy. But I don't remember the clay sticking to the fingers before. Do you think it has passed the 'use by' date?
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img20210812133238.jpg
Another question to the experts here. I have been using the Showtime Instant Detailer which comes with the clay pack as a lube. But it is almost over. What can I use as a substitute? I've been googling and watching YT videos but most people use stuff that is not available here. Any suggestions on what I could use?
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 20:15   #11325
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Have anyone tried the Poklear's method of shampooing the car using a modified garden sprayer, the nozzle for which Proklear apparently provides?

I'm trying to tackle the monsoon washing problem which inevitably leaves the car with so much muck everyday. Usual non-monsoon routine is to use a Jopasu type duster every 3-4 days & waterless wash (Proklear) once in 2 weeks. But now due to monsoon, waterless wash is totally ineffective & I had to resort to washing the car with 3-4 buckets of water with microfibre towels. I washed the car very gingerly & noticed that the white coloured car has now tar deposits; I can also feel the roughness on the paint on the lower part of the doors, near the running board.

Any ideas? I don't want to buy a pressure washer with a foam lance as it crosses 10k INR & more importantly, I'm not sure how long will I continue to wash the car myself. So it'll just end up lying around in the house, ergo waste of money.

Also, will the Proklear shampoo with the modified garden spray method work at all?

Cheers

Most Viewed