Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2013, 13:35   #1861
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Hi Heavy Horse,
Yes, it was my friend as I am yet to drive an XUV 500, I have driven a couple of Scorpios but have not got a chance to drive an XUV yet. On the other side I think if I was in his place I guess the situation would have been similar as I am not very good with gadgets . I myself would not have looked into the infotainment system i guess.I am yet to learn how to adjust the clock on my pioneer head unit n I have been using it for more than 4 years now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post

On a lighter note, MM should replace the entire warning light diwali cluster with audio warnings. In English as well as all vernacular languages that the navigator can speak. So when a tire loses pressure the system can announce to the occupants in Malayalam: "Chetta, tire-inte sammardham kuranjirikkunnu. Udan aduthulla tireshop sandarsikkuka".

This should solve many of the niggles.
Actually both your comments raise an important issue.

The XUV is loaded with so much electronics that you wonder whether a tech challenged person should actually buy such a car.

Marketers are never one to give up, so they immediately pass the buck on to the techies and say that design the electronics in such a way that 95% of users are comfortable with it. Make a car that drivers can drive even after they fall asleep at the wheel !!
Heavy Horse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2013, 18:28   #1862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post

Apparently something is up at M&M in terms of redesigning the balancer bar bushes. The moment you mention suspension noise from front, they would replace it. The car behaves better for a few days while going over speed-breakers and through potholes and then you start getting that feeling again.

No idea, if M&M finally cracked it and there is a final design in place. But do get them replaced and see the difefrence.
Thanks for your inputs SDP. Finally got the bushes changed. And like you said it HAS reduced the sideways rocking. Now let's see how long this peace of mind lasts
While there I got the siren bracket changed as well, thanks to the inputs from here. It's quite a job to change that bracket- the bumper has to be loosened and the headlamp removed to access this one.
kaiserketkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2013, 18:30   #1863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
Actually both your comments raise an important issue.

The XUV is loaded with so much electronics that you wonder whether a tech challenged person should actually buy such a car.

Marketers are never one to give up, so they immediately pass the buck on to the techies and say that design the electronics in such a way that 95% of users are comfortable with it. Make a car that drivers can drive even after they fall asleep at the wheel !!
I remember one case here in this thread long time back when one of the member reported that this static bending lights doesnt work properly on his XUV. When asked what was the issue, he said, "it only lights up when taking a turn"

Sorry no offence to anyone, just wanted a good laugh. Happy Friday.
nitinralli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st June 2013, 20:23   #1864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
I remember one case here in this thread long time back when one of the member reported that this static bending lights doesnt work properly on his XUV. When asked what was the issue, he said, "it only lights up when taking a turn"

Sorry no offence to anyone, just wanted a good laugh. Happy Friday.
Happy Friday for sure Nitin. That was a fantastic story and wish you have more in stock. Team BHP is a terrific site but somewhat devoid of humour, so such stories really lighten up the forum.

In fact whenever I am low, I read Mudhalaipatti's ownership thread. Suggest you do that too. That guy can really make you laugh.
Heavy Horse is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2013, 21:15   #1865
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
I wanted to share this experience. My friend was driving in his XUV in Delhi all of a sudden a yellow warning light came up on the instrument cluster. He pulled to the side and called up the helpline. The lady on the phone asked my friend to turn off the vehicle and do not drive while she is transferring the Manager from the technical team over the phone. She could not reach the manager so gave his phone number to my friend and asked him to call himself which he did and my friend explained the warning light and the manager was also not aware about this warning so he gave the number for a senior technician and my friend called him up and as all other guys in Mahindra my friend spoke to this guy was also clueless about the warning light. Meanwhile he grabbed the owners manual and figured out that the warning light was for TPMS because the air pressure in the spare tyre was low.
If you own Android or iPhone , XUV500 mobile app would have helped . Can be downloaded for free from play store /appstore
Old 21st June 2013, 22:11   #1866
PGA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post

So it happened with me again today. So now its confirmed that this same issue is present my w6 as well. Asked my RM and will let me know when silver box is available. Just wondering why it didnt happened all this while. Only after the 30K service this poped up.
Haha, been there done that. My W6 blew up its silver box with exactly same symptoms last October after second free service. The silver box was changed by Nippon and not by M&M. No problems since then.
PGA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2013, 22:14   #1867
SDP
Team-BHP Support

^^ Is the silver box common across W6 and W8 variants?

Can someone confirm please?

Last edited by SDP : 21st June 2013 at 22:19.
Old 22nd June 2013, 09:40   #1868
BHPian

Quote:
^^ Is the silver box common across W6 and W8 variants?

Can someone confirm please?
Cannot confirm, but looking at the end use I suspect that both boxes work the same way, but the display output is different, as shown in the infotainment manual. MMI for one is not there in the W6 and I would imagine that a lot of the s/w is different.

Just my 2 cents.
Heavy Horse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 12:02   #1869
SDP
Team-BHP Support

After me catching the power-steering leakage early on, nothing serious had happened. Saturday early morning, while headed out for a 1000km journey, within the first 15 kms, I got the following:
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img00328201306220431.jpg

4 warning lights. Hild Hold, Hill Descent, ABS and ESP. Permanently glowing. Microsoft windows standard solution (restarting) did not work. Although I don't care much about HHC and HDC, the ABS and ESP were critical. At one point tried the hild-hold, it did not work. So the warning was actually showing malfunctions of corresponding funtionality!

This is bad!
Old 24th June 2013, 13:51   #1870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
Had a very strange experience today. Had driven some 20 Kms with AC on and parked my car in the covered parking at my house. After an hour started my car and to my horror, the AC refused to work. The Auto and AC buttons dint glow even after repeated presses. The AC worked only if the temperature is set to 'LO'. It refused to blow cold air from 16 to 30 displayed on the infotainment screen

Switched off the engine for a minute and restarted, still the same situation.. Drove for a km and switched off the engine for 2-3 mins and started. Voila, the AC is back to normal.

The issue has not occurred again during the day and the AC worked absolutely normal the whole day. What could be the reason ?

Edit : have a feeling now that the blower noise has increased by few notches. Don't know if its in my mind and just assuming things.

Bnzjon, this has happened to me quite a number of times last summer. Thankfully, not this summer. I suspected that the temperature sensor is at fault, but it continued to be fine afterwards. Since it is almost impossible to replicate the problem, there is no way for me to explain it to my RM, or him to check. I know it is not the right way, but I have to say, just term this as a bizzare incident and move on.
AGwagon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 14:54   #1871
BHPian

Quote:
After me catching the power-steering leakage early on, nothing serious had happened. Saturday early morning, while headed out for a 1000km journey, within the first 15 kms, I got the following:
Attachment 1101504

4 warning lights. Hild Hold, Hill Descent, ABS and ESP. Permanently glowing. Microsoft windows standard solution (restarting) did not work. Although I don't care much about HHC and HDC, the ABS and ESP were critical. At one point tried the hild-hold, it did not work. So the warning was actually showing malfunctions of corresponding funtionality!

This is bad!
Wow, seems like this set of diwali lights are playing havoc for several people. I had this problem around 2-3 months back. Took almost 2 months and multiple visits to the service centre and escalations to get it sorted out finally. Mine turned out to be rat chewing. There was some proof with one of my door mats being nibbled close to the back left door and the illuminated sill plates on the left front/back doors not working. After lot of trial and error they finally realised it was the wiring (something I was asking them to check right from day one). Believe the service guys prefer to look at the wires only as a last option considering the massive amount of wiring running all around and the effort required to check the entire length to find a rat bite.

Microsoft windows standard solution worked for me only if the car was switched off for longer periods and restarted. Switching off and immediately restarting did not work.

Some of my observations at the time regarding this issue
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3098085

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 09:07   #1872
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
....4 warning lights. Hild Hold, Hill Descent, ABS and ESP. Permanently glowing. ...
This is bad!
Spoke to the RM. He asked me whether the lights appeared while driving long distance or did they appear within 15 minutes of starting driving. I said - the car was parked overnight and I started tje journey at 4:15am. Within first 15kms, the lights came up.

After hearing this, the RM mentioned that he is almost certain that its a problem of a rat chewing on wires and most probably its the left front side tyre where the rat would have attacked. So looks like its a problem that the service center guys are well aware off.

I will take any further discussion on this to my ownership thread as rat-problems do not belong to the niggles thread.

Why the wires of such critical components like ABS and ESP are not shielded and easily accessible to rats, is a doubt that would still trouble me.

Last edited by SDP : 25th June 2013 at 09:08.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 09:24   #1873
BHPian

SDP, is this the wire that we are talking about ?

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-sensors.jpg
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 09:29   #1874
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1101504

This is bad!
I've faced this issue right from Day 1 - However, I only have HHC, HDC and ESP warnings and not ABS but I believe there are no malfunctions.

Took it to the service station - they told me that everything 'looked' fine and reset the error codes but of no use. Earlier it used to light up after 10 minutes, but these days it only pops up after 45 minutes. Plan to resolve this during first service.

On another note - has anyone filled up from any Shell outlet? Dont see any major difference, but the fact that noise levels have gone up
Old 25th June 2013, 10:05   #1875
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
SDP, is this the wire that we are talking about ?
Thanks for the pic. Let me check it out. I spoke to my RM in the evening yesterday and by the time I started back from work, it was dark. Would check it today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajohn View Post
I've faced this issue right from Day 1 - However, I only have HHC, HDC and ESP warnings and not ABS but I believe there are no malfunctions.

Took it to the service station - they told me that everything 'looked' fine and reset the error codes but of no use. Earlier it used to light up after 10 minutes, but these days it only pops up after 45 minutes. Plan to resolve this during first service.
Please do get it fixed. There is a easy way to check if there is a actual malfunction or a false-alarm. With the light glowing (especially the HHC one), take the car on a ascent and see if the Hill-Hold works. For obvious reasons, testing ABS and ESP is not recommended.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks