Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2014, 17:23   #2611
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Yes, they output more light than regular bulbs. But please note these +90% type of bulbs have lower life than normal bulbs in any car.
Expect 30-40% lower life irrespective of what the bulb manufacturer claims
Understood, will keep them in mind

I have already replaced all 4 headlamps under warranty as 3 of them fused while in use and the other was replaced as the new upgraded ones came in.
Old 8th May 2014, 17:31   #2612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Expect 30-40% lower life irrespective of what the bulb manufacturer claims
Oh ! and why is that? Is it something to do with the design?
Old 8th May 2014, 17:49   #2613
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Oh ! and why is that? Is it something to do with the design?
Pushing more light usually means these bulbs run hotter too. Halogen has limited life, and that just becomes about 20% shorter with high performance bulbs
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 19:30   #2614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
Hi My Name is Jim and I have been following this thread for quite some time. But just got my membership approved today.

My W8 is on its 2nd year (11 Aug 2012) and I have a few issues/queries on this. It would be great if someone could help with.
I will go one by one with these

Headlamps :
The projector lamps most of the time feels inadequate to light up the tracks. Especially when it rains, also on heavy traffic. And my high beams are angled too high and collides at somewhere around 25-30 meters in front.

Low-beam (Projector) I am someone who prefers driving on Low beams, especially in city. What TVS service in Kochi suggested is an upgrade to more powerful bulbs which can be bought from outside and they said they can help me with fixing it. Which bulbs, what exact specs of these bulbs should i go for. ??

High Beam : For all these 21 months I have been struggling to get my high beams to be on a neat angle. both the lights end up at same same spot and it does not help at all. Every time at the service center I ask the personnel to correct, and it doesn't help.
Is there any way, or something specific that I should tell the service guys to get rid of this ??
For high beam, show this to your RM.

Name:  ForumRunner_20140508_192945.png
Views: 1898
Size:  621.1 KB

Last edited by nitinralli : 8th May 2014 at 19:37. Reason: @Mods: Please rotate this pic, i am never able to do so when i send it through mobile. Thanks
nitinralli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 21:26   #2615
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post

Headlamps :

Low-beam (Projector) I am someone who prefers driving on Low beams, especially in city. What TVS service in Kochi suggested is an upgrade to more powerful bulbs which can be bought from outside and they said they can help me with fixing it. Which bulbs, what exact specs of these bulbs should i go for. ??
Since the service center guys themselves have told they will help you fit better bulb I would highly recommend you purchase a good HID for low beam. One of the good Indian brands is P8 HID. Google it. Contact them to find a reseller in your city and get them fitted. No wire cutting is required if they provide you with relay harness. The difference will be day and night
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2014, 08:45   #2616
BHPian

Hit the first niggle in my Jan 14 W4. ODO reading is 3.5k .

Since yesterday, observing some kind of noise while starting the engine. Looks like slippage of belt. But today, I feel once in a while that she refused to start, but in next iteration, started with the same kind of noise.

Well, will talk to RM today and see what he says.

Last edited by GTO : 14th May 2014 at 23:21. Reason: Typos
Old 21st May 2014, 18:33   #2617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
It's amazing how people continue loving their rides, even when it strands them in the middle of a lonely road.
Fiat owners are another group who continue loving their cars even when the car makes them visit ASS regularly.
I can attribute this behaviour to basic human psychology, which makes them project to the world that they didn't made a wrong decision in buying a particular failure prone product, even though deep inside they might be cursing themselves for making that bad decision.
The owners of the XUV are evolving into a different breed altogether. That is the impression you get from this thread. They know the issues in depth and their fixes. They know the parts that are likely to give trouble and try to get anticipatory replacements done. They know the 5 generations of brake pads and the future generations in development.

All this makes me wonder about what is the first and most important thing that one expects from a vehicle? Reliabilty? Gizmos? Power? People/luggage carrying capacity? Economy? safety?
For me reliability and safety tops the list. I dont want to be stranded with a 6 month old baby on the way back from Coorg like a fellow teambhpian had to because of a clutch problem in a vehicle that has been driven 29000 kms. Time to marvel at the reliabilty of vehicles like the trusty Maruti 800/Alto 800 which hardly breakdown on highways even though safety is compromised when you travel in them.
Old 21st May 2014, 19:34   #2618
Senior - BHPian

Hi Folks!
Got hit by first niggle on my two months old XUV W8. There is "krrrrr...rrr" sound while the rear passenger side door auto locks. On investigation I observed that as soon as I start off the vehicle there is a slow humming noise from this particular door, probably like a motor running. At the time the door locks, there is "krrrrr.rr" with little vibration for 2 seconds and there after everything is normal.

Any one with same kind of problem? Any immediate solution before I visit the service centre?
Old 21st May 2014, 19:58   #2619
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Hi Folks!
Got hit by first niggle on my two months old XUV W8. There is "krrrrr...rrr" sound while the rear passenger side door auto locks. On investigation I observed that as soon as I start off the vehicle there is a slow humming noise from this particular door, probably like a motor running. At the time the door locks, there is "krrrrr.rr" with little vibration for 2 seconds and there after everything is normal.

Any one with same kind of problem? Any immediate solution before I visit the service centre?
Thanks for the more details about the problem on this thread.
This sound could also be due to a faulty power-window winder motor.
Old 21st May 2014, 22:01   #2620
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Thanks for the more details about the problem on this thread.
This sound could also be due to a faulty power-window winder motor.
Why I would rule out this one is that there is no extra sound while operating the window of same door. This "krrrrr....rrr" sound is ONLY when the door auto locks after the vehicle has moved a bit and crossed 20kmph. The normal door locking operation by remote is perfect. There is no sound in auto-unlocking too.

I dont know if the power window winder motor and the auto lock operation are connected.
TaureanBull is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 07:17   #2621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Why I would rule out this one is that there is no extra sound while operating the window of same door. This "krrrrr....rrr" sound is ONLY when the door auto locks after the vehicle has moved a bit and crossed 20kmph. The normal door locking operation by remote is perfect. There is no sound in auto-unlocking too.

I dont know if the power window winder motor and the auto lock operation are connected.
I had that issue in my Safari. Ask the A. S. S. to check the central locking synchronization.
djpeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 19:15   #2622
BHPian

My friend who bought a W4 a few weeks back has been facing a series of issues since then.
1. False door open alarm
2. Vehicle pulling left/right
3. Steering jerks when speed exceeds >110-120 km
4. Outside smell inside cabin even if the inner circulation air flow mode is on

Numerous times the vehicle was taken to the A.S.S but the issues kept coming back. Now to top it all he also faced another major issue where the clutch got stuck and he was unable to apply gears. It seems that once the clutch pedal was depressed the pedal did not come back to its position i.e. even after releasing the pedal it never got released. And all of this happened at a busy traffic junction with lots of vehicle honking and people screaming at him. He also mentioned that of late the start/stop feature was not functioning correctly.

I remember seeing this clutch problem reported in the forum earlier but I was under the impression that the new versions does not have this issue anymore. If this issue is not reported in W6/W8 then is it something related to W4 alone ? Is it due to some particular parts being used in W4 that an old issue has resurfaced again ? I hope this is not the case.
Old 22nd May 2014, 19:34   #2623
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgupta View Post
My friend who bought a W4 a few weeks back has been facing a series of issues since then.
1. False door open alarm
2. Vehicle pulling left/right
3. Steering jerks when speed exceeds >110-120 km
4. Outside smell inside cabin even if the inner circulation air flow mode is on

Numerous times the vehicle was taken to the A.S.S but the issues kept coming back. Now to top it all he also faced another major issue where the clutch got stuck and he was unable to apply gears. It seems that once the clutch pedal was depressed the pedal did not come back to its position i.e. even after releasing the pedal it never got released. And all of this happened at a busy traffic junction with lots of vehicle honking and people screaming at him. He also mentioned that of late the start/stop feature was not functioning correctly.

I remember seeing this clutch problem reported in the forum earlier but I was under the impression that the new versions does not have this issue anymore. If this issue is not reported in W6/W8 then is it something related to W4 alone ? Is it due to some particular parts being used in W4 that an old issue has resurfaced again ? I hope this is not the case.
All of the above issue you reported are very much present on most of the XUV's. Some people were able to rectify it, some didn't.
First point can be resolved by changing the front bonnet sensor, that should be the culprit.
Second and Third point can be resolved by Wheel alignment and Balancing.
Forth is an issue i too face till date and have been posted by many but somehow never complained to service station.

As for the clutch issue related to W4 variant, well no, its not with variant as it had been reported well before W4 came out in market. So this could happen to any variant be it W4/6/8.

Last edited by nitinralli : 22nd May 2014 at 19:35.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 19:45   #2624
BHPian

I just found this link which talks about a similar incident of clutch failure back in Jul 2012. I am wondering that this issue is still unresolved

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...utions-40.html
Old 22nd May 2014, 22:47   #2625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgupta View Post
I just found this link which talks about a similar incident of clutch failure back in Jul 2012. I am wondering that this issue is still unresolved

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...utions-40.html
Get the Wheel alignment done outside the ASS at a trusted shop.
And for the clutch issue look at Kedarwalke's thread his XUV's clutch has been replaced thrice I guess. XUV
Might not be of any major help but still.

Most Viewed