Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2014, 17:14   #2686
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Hi guys,
So my car is at the service station from more than 15 days now for the oil pump issue I had discussed earlier here on this thread. first they just replaced some assessory belt and were reluctant to investigate further for the problem and solve it even after repeated complains and giving them the video clip for the exact problem as it is an intermittent problem. happens most of the time but sometimes (read that as mostly when I take it to service station) doesn't show up. then as SDP suggested, I warned them that if need be I'll write to the customer care VP. then the head service manager whom they refer as Kotak, met me and I explained him about the exact issue and also showed him the Video. he assured that he'll look into the matter and do whatever it needs to solve the issue and I leave the car with them for some more time. I agreed and then after 2-3 days again I went to check the car and the work done on it. they had the opened the Oil sump to check. the pics of which are below.
(pics 1-6)

I was told by the Kotak guy that he is updates to the Plant and he'll do as they suggest him. he shares his findings and pictures with them. so he will have to wait for their revert and do as they ask.

Thanks to shrk_18, I also asked them to speak to the Guy who had worked on his car. he too had similar problem which was rectified. but my RM said that he had the issue every time the car starts. the oil lamp lit every time. but there wasn't the noise problem which I got when the car starts.

so then I visited the service station again after few days and they had removed the Oil Pump along with the timing case (which is a one unit I was told) and also checked the Top and Bottom crank shaft bearings for any damage or scorings. he said that the Top bearing had a brown layer formed which was mostly due to over heating due to the Engine oil not reaching on time because of the oil Pump issue. so mostly the Oil Pump and the Top bearing will be replaced. they had also opened the Turbo to check if there was any damage there but they didn't find anything wrong in it. they had kept the engine on hanger as they had removed the oil pump from below and so the engine needed support. shown in pics 7-10.

I also asked the Kotak, who by the way was a co-operative and helpful guy compared to the RM and others out there, that if its ok to open the engine like this and what if dust particles get inside. he said that they can open this much. if the pistons are exposed then its not good. is this correct?

then I called up again on saturday and was told that they have not yet worked further on the car and are still awaiting for the reply from the plant and if need be, someone will also make a visit from the plant to check the issue. so till now nothings been decided. they still say that they didn't find any problem, no noise or nor the oil light shows when they start the car so it is difficult for them to do anything. but I have given them the video in which the car makes a very rough noise and the Oil light stays on after the car is started for few minutes sometimes. happens almost all the time after the car is started after a nights rest or after 1-2 days. sometimes it happens even when I start the car after a few hours rest.

So as of now I am awaiting their decision and my car. looks like might take a week more at least. have already visited the service station for 4-5 times in the past 15 days now.

Thanks to SDP and shrk_18 for their help.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-01.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-02.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-03.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-04.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-05.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-06.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-07.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-08.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-09.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-10.jpg  

magikrider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2014, 18:36   #2687
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
....so then I visited the service station again after few days and they had removed the Oil Pump along with the timing case (which is a one unit I was told) and also checked the Top and Bottom crank shaft bearings for any damage or scorings. he said that the Top bearing had a brown layer formed which was mostly due to over heating due to the Engine oil not reaching on time because of the oil Pump issue. so mostly the Oil Pump and the Top bearing will be replaced.
This is unfolding as expected.
Do you have a pic of the oil-pump and timing case?

Quote:
...they had also opened the Turbo to check if there was any damage there but they didn't find anything wrong in it. ..
That's good. Don't forget to get the compression test done at the end of it all. Also get the turbo boost pressure checked to ensure correct operation of the turbo.

Quote:
... so till now nothings been decided. they still say that they didn't find any problem, no noise or nor the oil light shows when they start the car so it is difficult for them to do anything. ...
I did not understand this. They found the brown film (burnt oil) on the top bearings and concluded themselves that oil is not reaching that part. So oil-pump is the issue. What else do they want to decide?

Quote:
...So as of now I am awaiting their decision and my car. looks like might take a week more at least. have already visited the service station for 4-5 times in the past 15 days now.
I think, it taking too long as the plant-engineers would also be involved. Hope this gets sorted in the coming week.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2014, 19:06   #2688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
This is unfolding as expected.
Do you have a pic of the oil-pump and timing case?
No. I should have taken the pic though but it wasn't there. maybe kept inside for some checking. also They don't allow to click pics. I took these anyway.

Quote:
That's good. Don't forget to get the compression test done at the end of it all. Also get the turbo boost pressure checked to ensure correct operation of the turbo.
Thanks. will definitely ask them to do that.

Quote:
I did not understand this. They found the brown film (burnt oil) on the top bearings and concluded themselves that oil is not reaching that part. So oil-pump is the issue. What else do they want to decide?
The Kotak guy told me about the brown film formation on the top bearings but the RM keeps on repeating the same thing again and again. "Sir we didn't find any noise here and also the engine oil light didn't stay for long in front of us so it is difficult to explain them and take further actions. humare saamne aisa kuch nahi hua sir." and the worst part is the RM and the Kotak doesn't communicate regularly about the issue and so I have to inform him what the kotak told me and found. they have a video for proof and now also they themselves have found there is an issue but still awaiting for company's guys to give a go ahead.
the Kotak said he has also reserved a oil pump for me from their stock.

The last time I visited the service centre, the kotak also informed me about the additional 2 years warranty offered by the company for some 23k after I asked him what would have been the cost to get all these things done had the car not been under warranty. to which he said he had no idea as he is a technical guy and don't know the costs of the parts. but since its a major work I think would be at least 40-50k. so I think I'll take the additional 2 years warranty and would recommend it to all XUV owners as even though the car is fantastic, its still not free from niggles and issues and not as reliable as Japanese/korean cars. will inquire next time about it more and when can it be availed the latest.

Last edited by magikrider : 29th June 2014 at 19:07.
magikrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2014, 22:15   #2689
BHPian

Quote:
The Kotak guy told me about the brown film formation on the top bearings but the RM keeps on repeating the same thing again and again. "Sir we didn't find any noise here and also the engine oil light didn't stay for long in front of us so it is difficult to explain them and take further actions. humare saamne aisa kuch nahi hua sir."
I think you should give a piece of your mind to the RM and stop talking to him. I would also recommend getting your area customer care manager involved and deal directly with him and this guy "Kotak".

Quote:
they have a video for proof and now also they themselves have found there is an issue but still awaiting for company's guys to give a go ahead.
the Kotak said he has also reserved a oil pump for me from their stock.
I think the general protocol is, for a failure of this magnitude they need to prepare a report and share with the R&D guys (they use the terms factory and R&D interchangeably) who validate their findings and confirm or deny what they have analyzed. In this case its mostly correct about the oil pump failing. Once this is done, they need to procure the pump which is usually not in stock and in my case had to arrive from Pune. It should be faster for you as you are closer to Pune. Overall for me it took about 12 working days from the point the issue was analyzed to the day I got my vehicle back. This included testing of the engine (stationary and road test), compression test, turbo boost pressure test to be done.

Also make sure they share the compression test and turbo boost pressure numbers with you before they deliver the car. Ask for the expected numbers and the numbers for your car so that you have an email trail of the whole thing. Insist on getting this and stand your ground. Again get the customer care manager from M&M involved and be in touch with him
shrk_18 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2014, 22:27   #2690
BHPian

Has anybody heard any "tak" like sound when car goes over undulated surface (not a rough patch). Can say when car wobble while negotiating wide pits.
It comes from the foot area of front passenger below the dash.
It doesn't appear as a metallic sound but can't figure out exactly.
Shown it to service guy and he on first complain had tighten the front shock nuts and on second time tighten some scren on A pillar. But it is still heard.
Old 29th June 2014, 23:19   #2691
A.R
BHPian

I must have come to face the first big nigggle with my XUV. The rear AC doesn't seem to work, button pressed - light does not switch on. Got to check at the service center.
Any pointers?

@Honda Monk, I think I have the same issue with my XUV too and the service center have been unable to figure out yet.
Old 30th June 2014, 06:31   #2692
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.R View Post
I must have come to face the first big nigggle with my XUV. The rear AC doesn't seem to work, button pressed - light does not switch on. Got to check at the service center.
Any pointers?
Check out the rear-AC fan-speed rotary knob at the last row seats. If that is in the off position, you can not switch on the rear AC. Turn it to 1/2/3 and then try the rear-AC switch again from the dash.

I am sure you know this already, but please verify.

Last edited by SDP : 30th June 2014 at 06:59.
Old 30th June 2014, 09:37   #2693
BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys,
So my car is at the service station from more than 15 days .
Oh Boy! MagiKrider, that's no deposit on the HLA ( Hydraulic Lash Adjusters), its an abrasion. What has happened is that due to malfunction of the oil pump, the lubrication supplied has also been affected, resulting in the bearing to heat up and start corrosion ( there's a thin film of engine oil for lubrication). Please check the residual engine oil for any metal shavings ( makes your case even stronger), and once they do the engine, ask for a compression test result, also ask for turbo functioning datum ( as SDP has suggested).Coming back, this was the cause of the engine failure in my car. And eventually a total replacement. Please go through my thread dedicated for this, for some insight. a) You are not going to pay a single penny. b) Escalate this immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.R View Post
I must have come to face the first big niggle with my XUV. The rear AC doesn't seem to work, button pressed - light does not switch on. Got to check at the service center.
Any pointers?

@Honda Monk, I think I have the same issue with my XUV too and the service center have been unable to figure out yet.
A.R, other than what SDP has suggested, please check the fuse. Rear AC has got a separate fuse AFAIK.
me_sid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2014, 16:46   #2694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk View Post
Has anybody heard any "tak" like sound when car goes over undulated surface (not a rough patch). Can say when car wobble while negotiating wide pits.
It comes from the foot area of front passenger below the dash.
It doesn't appear as a metallic sound but can't figure out exactly.
Shown it to service guy and he on first complain had tighten the front shock nuts and on second time tighten some scren on A pillar. But it is still heard.
Yup, I think I had this issue. My RM knew exactly what needed to be done. According to him it was the floor panel that needed to be aligned. Am sure he knew what he was doing as the sound has disappeared after whatever he did.
sk7671 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2014, 17:20   #2695
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note : Team-BHP strongly discourages unsafe driving practices that put yourself and other road users at risk. Please do NOT post about illegally high speeds on public roads.
Old 30th June 2014, 17:20   #2696
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrk_18 View Post
I think you should give a piece of your mind to the RM and stop talking to him. I would also recommend getting your area customer care manager involved and deal directly with him and this guy "Kotak".

I think the general protocol is, for a failure of this magnitude they need to prepare a report and share with the R&D guys (they use the terms factory and R&D interchangeably) who validate their findings and confirm or deny what they have analyzed. In this case its mostly correct about the oil pump failing. Once this is done, they need to procure the pump which is usually not in stock and in my case had to arrive from Pune. It should be faster for you as you are closer to Pune. Overall for me it took about 12 working days from the point the issue was analyzed to the day I got my vehicle back. This included testing of the engine (stationary and road test), compression test, turbo boost pressure test to be done.

Also make sure they share the compression test and turbo boost pressure numbers with you before they deliver the car. Ask for the expected numbers and the numbers for your car so that you have an email trail of the whole thing. Insist on getting this and stand your ground. Again get the customer care manager from M&M involved and be in touch with him
Quote:
Originally Posted by me_sid View Post
Oh Boy! MagiKrider, that's no deposit on the HLA ( Hydraulic Lash Adjusters), its an abrasion. What has happened is that due to malfunction of the oil pump, the lubrication supplied has also been affected, resulting in the bearing to heat up and start corrosion ( there's a thin film of engine oil for lubrication). Please check the residual engine oil for any metal shavings ( makes your case even stronger), and once they do the engine, ask for a compression test result, also ask for turbo functioning datum ( as SDP has suggested).Coming back, this was the cause of the engine failure in my car. And eventually a total replacement. Please go through my thread dedicated for this, for some insight. a) You are not going to pay a single penny. b) Escalate this immediately.
Thanks guys.. I just spoke with the Service head out there, whom the RM suggested to speak directly as he is his boss. So the service head today confirmed and accepted that the Oil Pump is faulty. the pressure is low. and also there are linings or scorings on the top bearings of the crank shaft.

so now they are waiting for a team to come and check from the plant only then we can come to know the next step of action. he said the team will also check for any consequential damage due to the oil pump issue so that there is no problem later on. he said that the compression test and turbo boost pressure can be checked once they fit it back again and can start the car.

I am guessing this will take another 8-10 days at least now. but am happy that they have finally accepted that there is some issue and also are working towards the right direction. But this whole things is so disturbing and frustrating because the service centre guys kept on denying and avoiding for so long and finally agreed to work on it after I found what might be the problem from here and told them to check those parts. what would someone do who has zero or no technical knowledge and don't know where to look for?! Mahindra need to pull up their socks and give better service. giving the latest tech does not help if the service support sucks. for a car maker to do well the service support back up should be top notch. Learn something from Toyota!
magikrider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2014, 17:24   #2697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys.. I just spoke with the Service head out there, whom the RM suggested to speak directly as he is his boss. So the service head today confirmed and accepted that the Oil Pump is faulty. the pressure is low. and also there are linings or scorings on the top bearings of the crank shaft.

so now they are waiting for a team to come and check from the plant only then we can come to know the next step of action. he said the team will also check for any consequential damage due to the oil pump issue so that there is no problem later on. he said that the compression test and turbo boost pressure can be checked once they fit it back again and can start the car.

I am guessing this will take another 8-10 days at least now. but am happy that they have finally accepted that there is some issue and also are working towards the right direction. But this whole things is so disturbing and frustrating because the service centre guys kept on denying and avoiding for so long and finally agreed to work on it after I found what might be the problem from here and told them to check those parts. what would someone do who has zero or no technical knowledge and don't know where to look for?! Mahindra need to pull up their socks and give better service. giving the latest tech does not help if the service support sucks. for a car maker to do well the service support back up should be top notch. Learn something from Toyota!
If you have been driving without in sufficient oil pressure for sometime, I would push for an engine replacement and only be satisfied with an engine replacement. Insufficient oil pressure can score the cylinders, wear the compression/oil rings in the piston and a lot of other things. This you might not realize now, but at a bit later stage you are heading for an engine overhaul come what may !
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2014, 17:31   #2698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
If you have been driving without in sufficient oil pressure for sometime, I would push for an engine replacement and only be satisfied with an engine replacement. Insufficient oil pressure can score the cylinders, wear the compression/oil rings in the piston and a lot of other things. This you might not realize now, but at a bit later stage you are heading for an engine overhaul come what may !
Now they have accepted that there is a problem, I'll let the Technical team come and check from the plant. I will try to push for complete engine replacement. lets see how that goes. but I doubt they'll do that as the engine has not failed completely and they won't replace something which is still working. but will try and push for that. Thanks.
Old 30th June 2014, 17:41   #2699
BHPian

Quote:
. giving the latest tech does not help if the service support sucks. for a car maker to do well the service support back up should be top notch. Learn something from Toyota!
Here I would beg to disagree, Magikrider. You don't have any idea, what others would have done, had the same thing happened. Trust me, have gone through the ordeal, but eventually have only praises ( M&M doesn't pay me to talk good about them). Couple of steps that you need to take now.

a) Its imperative that the pistons, valves and cylinders should be checked. Please ensure that they do it. And yes stand there and take PICS.
b) Talk about engine replacement, however if they don't comply. Please ask for full test bench report of the engine, after assembly.
c) Ensure that you don't pay a single penny. Yours is under warranty and you are NOT supposed to pay.
d) Don't loose your temper with the guys. And yes stop communicating with KOTAK, and talk to the M&M representative only. And since you are fedup with the A.S.S. I would suggest that you change over. Am sure Shreyas and others of the Bangalore XUV gang, can help you out.

And wait for another week. For me the entire engine replacement from the date of failure was 3.5 weeks. Best of luck. Any help needed please PM me.
me_sid is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2014, 18:40   #2700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Anyone facing problem with the remote of head entertainment unit. I have a 2 month old XUV w8 and the remote is not working. I told at service center twice but didn't get a solution.

Now RM Mr. Pratap at Auto World Jaipur is saying me that I'll have to leave my XUV for two days for this problem so that they diagnose it and repair it. No they dont want to keep only the remote but whole car.

I mean come on Mahindra, TWO DAYS?? Really shocked at this

Please advice guys should I leave my car there for two days so that they can repair the remote?
I sent a query through 'with you humesha' website regarding the same on 27th June. Mahindra was quick enough to reply back on 28th with a message and email saying that the regional customer care head is appointed and given with the details and she will contact soon.

Monday morning (30th) got a call from CC head to discuss the problem and am assured that the issue with the remote will be solved soon. Thats confidence inspiring.

In evening got a call from RM, he discussed all issues and for remote now he told me to change battery of Remote (myself from market) and check. I asked him to send me a mail saying same. Upon which he got nervous and said Sir give some time I will get back. I asked him do you have new remote battery or remote, to which he said yes we can arrange. Let's see now.

Last edited by Ym-enjn : 30th June 2014 at 18:43.
Ym-enjn is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks