Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2014, 12:59   #2716
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
T
In the above XUV rally car image, any idea why Maruti Suzuki logos are there in the front. Also the top sticker on the windshield says Motor Sport with the logos at either ends..Would that be an innovative way to give the logos a different meaning...

FundaG
I think Maruti Suzuki Motor Sports allows all vehicles in at least some of its rallies. I am not sure, but there could be a possibility that all 4 wheelers can take part in the MS Motorsports. People into the sports may comment. In the meanwhile, please have a look at the following extract from the Maruti Suzuki Motor Sports eligibility criteria:

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-mss.jpg
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2014, 17:55   #2717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_sid View Post
Just check if they are changing the turbo. They won't reset the Odo reading. So you have to monitor the interval for servicing. Now ensure that they do the change in front of your eyes. They might not have the engine bench, and they might just use your tires to support the engine. So. Its always good to be present. Once its done. Please take it for a extensive test drive, I would say at least 150 KM, forget the running in procedure for a few minutes, work on the rev range, through all gears. Keep your ears open for any unnatural noise.
Take care and all the best bro!
Thanks a lot bro..

Well yesterday I went to the service centre to confirm the same and check on few points and met this "Co-tek" guy who's working on my car, whom they referred to as "kotak", so well he too confirmed about the engine replacement but it will be a short engine assembly so the Turbo charger, FIP and the Injectors will not be replaced. basically all the Fuel system related components will not be replaced as they have nothing to do with the Engine oil lubrication and are not connected to the Oil pump so those won't be affected. regarding the Turbo he said that even though it gets the Oil supply from the Oil pump, it has some reserved oil in it so it won't be affected. and he said that he checked it and didn't find any roughness or any irregularity with it and according to him its not affected and doesn't need replacement and if he asks for a replacement still, it will be rejected by the company on basis of false claim. infact the entire engine might get rejected then. and he assured that theres nothing wrong with the turbo and so there is absolutely no need to replace it as well. I did ask him to check the Turbo boost pressure once the Engine has been installed and also share the readings with me.

regarding the Oil pump also he said that the pressure wasn't low as such when he checked. the reading he got was 1.5, which is normal. but maybe when I did was hearing the katt-katt noise and the oil light, it might be low (maybe 1.1 or so) and so on that assumption and on the basis of my video, the company is changing the Engine. they will take it to the plant then and there they will check what was the issue. but the Service head confirmed with me even today that the Oil pump was faulty so the Engine is being replaced and not the turbo, when I asked about replacing the turbo as well. so whatever it maybe, good thing is that its being replaced.

The Service head said he will need to ask the company if he can share the data readings with me when I asked to show me the Turbo boost pressure readings and also the Standard readings so that I can compare and confirm that Turbo is fine.

Also the Engine bench is not required I was told. the new engine will be removed from the box and installed directly or something. they have the tools required for it but in this procedure it is not needed. I am not sure about it though.
magikrider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 12:35   #2718
BHPian

In interest of possible new owners can we have a summary of Niggles and Issues with XUV. When it has so many issues, is it still worth buying?
Old 9th July 2014, 13:26   #2719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh.sml View Post
In interest of possible new owners can we have a summary of Niggles and Issues with XUV. When it has so many issues, is it still worth buying?
Most of the original niggles have already been sorted out, the first couple of batches were the worst where the buyers got a less than par product after long waiting periods.

At this price point you will not get a this sized car which is loaded with gizmos, any other vehicles of similar type would be costing additionally 10 lacs or more.

You can start browsing this thread for a exhaustive list of issues from brakes to rattles.
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 16:12   #2720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Most of the original niggles have already been sorted out, the first couple of batches were the worst where the buyers got a less than par product after long waiting periods.

At this price point you will not get a this sized car which is loaded with gizmos, any other vehicles of similar type would be costing additionally 10 lacs or more.

You can start browsing this thread for a exhaustive list of issues from brakes to rattles.
I just bought one in March and can vouch for an awesome ride. Agreed there are some minor niggles here and there, but nothing that they cant fix. I keep looking for excuses to take the beast out for small errands. I would say go for it and while you are at it, throw in an RD Dieseltronic into it ...
sk7671 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 22:51   #2721
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk7671 View Post
I just bought one in March and can vouch for an awesome ride. Agreed there are some minor niggles here and there, but nothing that they cant fix. I keep looking for excuses to take the beast out for small errands. I would say go for it and while you are at it, throw in an RD Dieseltronic into it ...
I have the March 2014 batch as well (AWD). The ride definitely is awesome. Major niggles have been resolved, but few still remain:

- Shifting of gears (1st to 3rd, especially engaging 1st) is hard.
- Had one incidence of engine not cranking, scared the hell out of me. It started on the third try. So far have not faced the issue again.
- Had 2 instances of FR tyre swapped status while driving. (I don't know what that is about)
- Had 2 instances of Infotainment system rebooting. (No idea why either)

Apart from the first, rest seem to be electronic issues. Electronics can have bugs or errors because they are created by human error. Not really concerned about those issues either, will bring them to attention during the first service. Till then I will just keep an eye out for recurrences.

As to the question if it is still worth buying? Definitely yes.
Despite these issues I am very happy with it. I am amazed at the power it packs and its reliability on road. The issues have significantly decreased compared to what you will read in the entire thread, and Mahindra has proven to be helpful to several Team-bhp XUV owners. I am also hoping to get the help from them if need be.

And to be honest, I had literally read the whole niggles thread and test drive thread, along with several other ownership threads before I plunged in. These posts provided clues and experiences that helped other individual XUV owners to identify those niggles and get them rectified. When I experienced those issues I knew someone had this issue and I know how they were resolved and their seriousness. It provided a baseline as to what to expect from the A.S.S. and how much I can ask of them.
falconion is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2014, 18:29   #2722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
When you visit the A.S.S. ask them to connect the laptop and check the DTC code which would be stored in the ECU. The DTC code would reveal what the problem was related to.
Thanks Debuda. Got it checked at the A.S.S during the second free service. The DTC/error code had something to do with the engine immobilizer. The RM said that it wasn't a critical one and they have cleared the error code from the ECU after checking.
ViPo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2014, 10:46   #2723
BHPian

Thanks Sk7671 and falconion for your inputs.

I am going to book moondust silver W8 in few days. The More I read about this car the more confused I get. Yesterday I saw a video review on you tube which says the third row is Suffocating and one cannot sit there more than 30 mins. Ride quality is also ridiculed.

Only these things bother and shake confidence. Else I have test driven the car twice now and find it good.
Old 14th July 2014, 12:41   #2724
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I am going to book moondust silver W8 in few days. The More I read about this car the more confused I get. Yesterday I saw a video review on you tube which says the third row is Suffocating and one cannot sit there more than 30 mins. Ride quality is also ridiculed.

Only these things bother and shake confidence. Else I have test driven the car twice now and find it good.
Marathi proverb: Aikave Janache, karave manache.
Meaning: Listen to everybody, but do what you think is right.

No car is perfect for everybody. If there would have been such a car, that manufacturer would have only one model and still would wipe out the entire competition. So what works for somebody else, might not work for you and what works for you might not work for somebody else.

Just list down what are your requirements (absolutely must have, nice to have, etc) and evaluate the XUV against those requirements. Many a times the heart rules over the head and there is nothing wrong in that. Don't make it too complicated. Believe me, I am overly analytical at times and it took me 3 years to decide what is the right car for me

Last edited by SDP : 14th July 2014 at 12:43.
SDP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2014, 14:49   #2725
Senior - BHPian

Cant agree more on this and the proverb nails it

My learning and understanding is, the more you listen the more you get confused which ultimately would stall your decision making process.

My solution is, list down vehicles which you would like to own/afford and TD all of them in he same route/distance. it is advisable to have a mix of good/bad roads, some straight/uncrowded stretch and some winding roads, ofcourse you need to try the congest/heavy traffic route aswel. i did the same and i got a very clear answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Marathi proverb: Aikave Janache, karave manache.
Meaning: Listen to everybody, but do what you think is right.

No car is perfect for everybody. If there would have been such a car, that manufacturer would have only one model and still would wipe out the entire competition. So what works for somebody else, might not work for you and what works for you might not work for somebody else.

Just list down what are your requirements (absolutely must have, nice to have, etc) and evaluate the XUV against those requirements. Many a times the heart rules over the head and there is nothing wrong in that. Don't make it too complicated. Believe me, I am overly analytical at times and it took me 3 years to decide what is the right car for me
lohithrao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2014, 15:53   #2726
BHPian

Quote:

I had two trips with family (6 adults, 1 child, and 2 babies). Both had very different experiences.

1) Trip from Hyderabad-Zaheerabad-Bidar-Humnabad-Gulbarga and back.

The route is not the best, but had relatives on route to visit. The roads have broken patches and potholes that appear very randomly. The bad patches constituted 60%-70% of the journey, caused lots of vibration and noise. Had to drive between 50-70 kmph to make the ride tolerable and comfortable. The ride was very bumpy on the bad patches for the rear passengers if speed was increased. The middle passengers complained of backache.

2) Trip from Hyderabad-Narketpalli-Nalgonda-Nagarjuna Sagar and back.

The route has great roads, approximately 5-10% of the journey has bad patches.

Family members took small cushions for back support, solving the issue of backache. Ride quality was amazing, nobody complained. Due to better roads the passengers on the back did not experience any bumpiness.

------------

Because XUV500 is a crossover SUV, the ride can get bumpy and uncomfortable, but only on bad roads. And many SUVs are burdened with this. And this is a bit expected compared to sedans, etc. I had driven Mitsubishi Spacewagon (in Saudi) prior to this and it had similar experience so this was nothing new for me. I had seen many cars along the trip to Gulbarga (Ford Ecosport, Innova, Tavera, etc), and looking at them speeding ahead of me with their rears also bouncing gave the assurance that it wasn't only me.

I had experienced the two niggles I mentioned earlier only on the trip to Gulbarga, but not on the way to Nagarjuna Sagar:
- Had 2 instances of FR tyre swapped status while driving.
- Had 2 instances of Infotainment system rebooting.

As for the feeling of suffocation:
I asked the fellow rear passengers and they had no such complaint. The rear passengers consisted of my 2 sisters and a baby. They took the back seat during both trips. The AC ventilation was good, they had the knob at 1 only as it was getting cold, had their phone charger plugged into the socket in the rear, plus it provided them some privacy. They are also short so they had enough legroom.

I guess it all depends on the type of person sitting in the rear. Ask your family members to try it and you should do the same to get the feel of it.
falconion is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2014, 17:18   #2727
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday I saw a video review on you tube which says the third row is Suffocating and one cannot sit there more than 30 mins. Ride quality is also ridiculed.
1. Reserve the 3rd row for kids only , there is no way anyone 5 ft. or over can sit comfortably on those seats for long.

2. The ride quality of a SUV / Crossover cannot be compared to a sedan, that's the downside of having the pleasure of owning a high GC vehicle.

I have a Scorpio for the last 6 years and believe me the above minor issues would be forgotten the day you own the XUV / any other SUV.
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 11:33   #2728
BHPian

Thank you all, finally have booked XUV Moondust Silver W8. Will be taking the delivery early next month

Thank you for your inputs.
rajesh.sml is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2014, 13:37   #2729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
Also the Engine bench is not required I was told. the new engine will be removed from the box and installed directly or something. they have the tools required for it but in this procedure it is not needed. I am not sure about it though.
Hehe, Really? The process of swap would be hoisting the car up in the hydraulic lift to the topmost position, position the engine below on the engine bench, and then lowering the vehicle. Else its would be done by a crane, and a few tyres to support ( pray they ain't yours)

Let me show you .
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-20140220_123150r.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-20140220_124704r.jpg  

me_sid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 12:07   #2730
SDP
Team-BHP Support

May I request folks to take all current-price and discounts discussions to the official review thread please and not muddle the niggles thread?
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks