Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2014, 21:13   #2701
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk7671 View Post
Yup, I think I had this issue. My RM knew exactly what needed to be done. According to him it was the floor panel that needed to be aligned. Am sure he knew what he was doing as the sound has disappeared after whatever he did.
Thanks SK.
Lets see what my RM has to say about it and if he sounds clueless will suggest him this way.
I wish its just a small issue and will be resolved this time.
Old 1st July 2014, 10:48   #2702
BHPian

Observed something strange on my XUV5OO last week. On my way back home from work, parked the vehicle in between to buy something. When I got back into the vehicle & turned on the ignition, the 'check engine' lamp was glowing continuously. I tried to crank the engine, but it was silent.

Turned off the ignition and waited for 15-20 secs & then turned on the ignition. Again the 'check engine' lamp was glowing continuously. But this time on trying to crank the engine, it did crank but the engine refused to start.

Turned off the ignition again and waited for a few seconds. During this wait the whole 100 odd pages of niggles started playing on my mind making me think what possibly could be the problem. Finally this time I turned on the ignition & started to gaze at the 'check engine' lamp. It goes off after a few seconds like how it normally does. Cranked the engine and there, he is back to normal as if he barely knew what had happened a few seconds back.
Drove back home & did not feel anything abnormal in the way the vehicle handled after the incident. The problem has not occurred again either.

Has anyone else faced something similar? Anything that needs to be checked in particular? The vehicle is due for second service & I'm planning to schedule it next week or so.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-capture1.jpg  

Old 1st July 2014, 13:13   #2703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViPo View Post
Finally this time I turned on the ignition & started to gaze at the 'check engine' lamp. It goes off after a few seconds like how it normally does. Cranked the engine and there, he is back to normal as if he barely knew what had happened a few seconds back.
Drove back home & did not feel anything abnormal in the way the vehicle handled after the incident. The problem has not occurred again either.

Has anyone else faced something similar? Anything that needs to be checked in particular? The vehicle is due for second service & I'm planning to schedule it next week or so.
When you visit the A.S.S. ask them to connect the laptop and check the DTC code which would be stored in the ECU. The DTC code would reveal what the problem was related to.
debuda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 13:25   #2704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
When you visit the A.S.S. ask them to connect the laptop and check the DTC code which would be stored in the ECU. The DTC code would reveal what the problem was related to.
How far back does the ECU store such data?

I had also experienced the same 2 weeks back, gave me a scare, but considering it was mentioned in the niggles before I waited and cranked again and it started. Since then had no such issues again (knock on wood).
Old 1st July 2014, 14:06   #2705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_sid View Post
Here I would beg to disagree, Magikrider. You don't have any idea, what others would have done, had the same thing happened. Trust me, have gone through the ordeal, but eventually have only praises ( M&M doesn't pay me to talk good about them). Couple of steps that you need to take now.

a) Its imperative that the pistons, valves and cylinders should be checked. Please ensure that they do it. And yes stand there and take PICS.
b) Talk about engine replacement, however if they don't comply. Please ask for full test bench report of the engine, after assembly.
c) Ensure that you don't pay a single penny. Yours is under warranty and you are NOT supposed to pay.
d) Don't loose your temper with the guys. And yes stop communicating with KOTAK, and talk to the M&M representative only. And since you are fedup with the A.S.S. I would suggest that you change over. Am sure Shreyas and others of the Bangalore XUV gang, can help you out.

And wait for another week. For me the entire engine replacement from the date of failure was 3.5 weeks. Best of luck. Any help needed please PM me.
I have been complaining from more than 3 months now about the same issue and have taken the car twice to the service centre and also twice their road side assistance guys came to check at my place. and all they did was kept of denying the problem and were not ready to accept. "Sir yaha pe hamare saamne toh kuch nahi hua" was their standard answer. this also after taking and showing them the video of the same, which the road side assistance guys themselves told me to take and show them so they would know whats the problem exactly. then this service head guy whom they refer to as Kotak got involved and helped me out and assured that they'll do whatever is required to solve the problem. Kotak is also M&M representative only. he is the main guy on the field and the others report to him. he usually doesn't communicate directly with the customers but since I kept on complaining he was called.

What i meant to say was only if they trust their customers more and check and diagnose when the complain is first made, then it wouldn't worsen and also the customer doesn't have to go through the ordeal of explaining them all the technical things and what might have gone faulty after researching on the internet! they are more qualified so should be able to understand better. apart from this problem, I too was happy with M&M and their service back up so far.

I am based in Mumbai so Bangalore XUV gang might not be able to help me to change over. and also this is the nearest company service centre so I'd stick with it.

Thanks a lot for the help. will ask them to check all the things and do all the tests you suggested.
magikrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 14:58   #2706
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
Now they have accepted that there is a problem, I'll let the Technical team come and check from the plant. I will try to push for complete engine replacement. lets see how that goes. but I doubt they'll do that as the engine has not failed completely and they won't replace something which is still working. but will try and push for that. Thanks.
I tell you this again, 3 months of continuously complaining about problem means you have had insufficient oil pressure since 3 months of running in your XUV.

To give you a perspective. A normal car when started in the cold condition in the morning for the first time, this is when the maximum engine damage occurs as the engine oil is cold, not upto its operating temperature. Imagine in your case, 3 odd months of cold starts with the noises that you heard + insufficient oil pressure, its a recipe for disaster and with proper reasoning make sure you make them agreeable to an engine change ONLY.
humyum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 15:54   #2707
BHPian

Quote:

I am based in Mumbai so Bangalore XUV gang might not be able to help me to change over. and also this is the nearest company service centre so I'd stick with it.

Thanks a lot for the help. will ask them to check all the things and do all the tests you suggested.
Hey pardon me, that was a Faux pas! Then, you have Sanjay to help you out. Coming back whats the latest news. Did you press upon a replacement?
me_sid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 17:44   #2708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconion View Post
How far back does the ECU store such data?

I had also experienced the same 2 weeks back, gave me a scare, but considering it was mentioned in the niggles before I waited and cranked again and it started. Since then had no such issues again (knock on wood).
I'm not sure about the duration for which DTC data is stored. As far as I know, a DTC code is stored in the memory either till it is manually 'cleared' (using a OBD2 scanner or laptop) or till a certain number of start / stop cycles without recurrence of the fault. You may get some information here.

It would be prudent to have the DTC code identified soon.
debuda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 18:00   #2709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_sid View Post
Hey pardon me, that was a Faux pas! Then, you have Sanjay to help you out. Coming back whats the latest news. Did you press upon a replacement?
Not yet. I am waiting for the team which is gonna visit from the Plant. I'll go and talk to them about replacement then I think. No point talking to these guys on phone at present.
magikrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 20:45   #2710
BHPian

Ok so I called up the Service centre Head today again to check the progress of the work on my car. I thought that I'll talk to him about the Engine replacement today and then maybe explain him the need for replacement once I go there and meet him personally. was thinking of visiting tomorrow. so when I asked him about the current situation and the progress, to my pleasant surprise, he himself told me that they have given the entire report to the plant and as a special approval they are going to do the whole Engine replacement!

So they will place the order tomorrow mostly and it'll take around 4 working days to procure the engine. then within 2 days the new engine will be installed and 1/2 a day for trial. so should take around 7-8 working days now. I told him I don't mind if they need some more time for trials and testing as far as the work is being done. I told him I was gonna explain him the same thing that the car has been facing this issue and running with low oil pressure from few months and have run for few thousand kilometers in that state so sooner or later it might require some major engine work and so better to replace the engine itself.

anyways thank god that I didn't have to explain and request them for replacement as that would have been a tough task had they not agreed. I must say I am pleasantly surprised by Mahindra. wasn't expecting this at all. they are definitely trying and improving to build up an image by providing good service back up.

Now the Engine which will be installed will be a brand new engine. So is there anything in particular I need to do apart from following the standard Running in procedure which is generally done with new Engine/Car? I guess I'll also need to service the car at service intervals required with new car. me_sid, how was it done and how did you go about it?

Last edited by khan_sultan : 3rd July 2014 at 10:12. Reason: Only 2 smileys per post please.
magikrider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2014, 07:59   #2711
BHPian

Quote:
anyways thank god that I didn't have to explain and request them for replacement as that would have been a tough task had they not agreed. I must say I am pleasantly surprised by Mahindra. wasn't expecting this at all. they are definitely trying and improving to build up an image by providing good service back up.

Now the Engine which will be installed will be a brand new engine. So is there anything in particular I need to do apart from following the standard Running in procedure which is generally done with new Engine/Car? I guess I'll also need to service the car at service intervals required with new car. me_sid, how was it done and how did you go about it?
This is wonderful news. Hats off to M&M for agreeing to replace the complete engine assembly. This inspires confidence in all XUV owners.

Thanks to incidents of XUV engine lubrication failure reported here on TBHP, nowadays I always keep an eye on the oil pressure lamp whenever I start my engine! All XUV owners should make this a habit.

After engine replacement, the first oil change would be after 5,000 km, second after additional 15,000 km and thereafter at 20,000 km intervals.
debuda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2014, 10:00   #2712
BHPian

Quote:
Good to hear that. You will need to start following the same process of running-in as in a new car. The only challenge now being in comparison to earlier is that you would have been settled down with the overall car and will need to remind yourself that the engine is new ....

Believe you might also have to modify the RC book details with the new engine number.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2014, 10:17   #2713
BHPian

Quote:
he himself told me that they have given the entire report to the plant and as a special approval they are going to do the whole Engine replacement!
That's a great news Magik. And see I told ya, M&M customer support is amazingly strong and competition, can seriously take some clue. Coming back engine replacement means its not just the oil pump failure my friend, this means the oil pump failure has managed to eat up the valves and the pistons. Now the next issue would be " What about the engine number that's there in the RC book, do you need to get it modified by RTO? " Answer is "NO". The engine comes along with a template where the same number is stamped. This is attached to the engine. So you are spared of the RTO hassles. Yes the engine is a brand new engine and you follow the SOP of running in. However this time I didn't bother to flush the oil at 1k, which i have religiously done earlier. Lesson learnt "too much of affection is detrimental to health". Follow the 5K, 15K, 25K regime as stated even though it might cause heart burns. Just check if they are changing the turbo. They won't reset the Odo reading. So you have to monitor the interval for servicing. Now ensure that they do the change in front of your eyes. They might not have the engine bench, and they might just use your tires to support the engine. So. Its always good to be present. Once its done. Please take it for a extensive test drive, I would say at least 150 KM, forget the running in procedure for a few minutes, work on the rev range, through all gears. Keep your ears open for any unnatural noise.
Take care and all the best bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
After engine replacement, the first oil change would be after 5,000 km, second after additional 15,000 km and thereafter at 20,000 km intervals.
I am doing this albeit lot of displeasure Debuda. I mean 10K for oil change in Diesel? After all " There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy". Cheers.

Last edited by me_sid : 3rd July 2014 at 10:19.
me_sid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2014, 10:47   #2714
BHPian

I recently purchased a pre-worshiped XUV500 W8, below are the issues i am facing with the vehicle. The vehicle is under extended warranty till Feb 2015, I had visited the service center G3 Motors Goregaon(east) and given them a list of things to work on. Most of them was fixed others were not.

1. AirBag Light in the instrument cluster
Response: a spring issue inside the steering wheel ABS, Product not in stock.

2. Driver Door Handle too much play in opening the door.
Response: Door handle to be procured from Mira Road, Body Shop cannot be replaced under warranty. Mira Road Body shop says should be replaced by them under warranty. either way both dont have it in stock

3. Front Left Door not closing unless pushed hard.
Response: Fixed, all doors re-aligned.

4. Replace 3 interior door handles.
Response: Not in stock, will be ordered, replacement not under warranty due to wear / tear item.

5. Front Seat belt noise
Response: Fixed, but only the driver side, Passenger side seat belt still makes noise including the rear seat belts.

6. Oil Leakage in Engine Bay
Response: Fixed, Oil was topped up more than the max level hence it leaked.

7. Suspension noise / Rattling inside cabin
Response: Suspension bolts were torqued. no more noise inside cabin, except for the noise generated by the plastic on top of the instrument cluster, will get that fixed next time i visit the A.S.S

8. Reverse Senor does not work.
Response: Part not in stock, will be replaced under warranty.

9. Headlight Adjustment
Response: Headlights adjusted.

10. Tighten UnderBody Bolts
Response: Done

11. Change Gear Knob
Response: replaced for Rs. 800

12. Bonet noise when pressing the RHS edge of the bonet.
Response: done, changed the rubber fittings inside the engine bay for the bonet.

13. Radiator / condenser mounting rust - near LHS Head light

Response: Product not in stock, entire part of the frame will be replaced under warranty.

14. Steering wobble on speed
Response: Wheel Balanced & Alignment cost Rs. 1300/-

15. Rear left Power Window stop working
Response: Films installed was causing the window to get stuck to the rubber, cleaned the glass and it has been working fine since.

16. Servicing & replace all fluids (Transmission/Brake/Power Steering)
Response: Not required as car was serviced at 40k, next service due is 60k

17. Service Action, ensure all latest changes / recalls have be done on the XUV.
Response: Most parts have been already replaced under recall, New suspension bushing was installed free of charge.

18. Tire Pressure Monitoring System showed 0 psi.
Response: TMPS learning was done.

19. Right Side Mirror making noise / getting stuck to open.
Response: Motor will be replaced under warranty, product not in stock.

20. Engine Noise
Response: Timing belt was changed along with some bearing (forgot what its called) under warranty.

Approx Service cost: 7300/-

New Issues / pending issues.

1. Rust in engine bay on the condenser / radiator mount
2. Seat Belt Noise
3. ABS Light on the instrument cluster.
4. Right Side Mirror.
5. Plastic above instrument cluster making noise on bad roads.
6. Engine Noise - Only last for 3 - 5 seconds on cold engine starts, more like a grinding noise like something stuck to fans or something. will try to take a video.
7. Replacement of all interior door handles, due to paint chipped off from them.

I still have issues with the headlights I tried most of the things i could without ruining the looks of the vehicle which i really like but i have no idea how to improve the lights in this vehicle.

Changed all bulbs to Philips H7 80 Watts - While upper lights were fine, I don't want to cause issues to people from the oncoming traffic so i cannot use it in the city, The dipper lights are non-existent in the city street lights. I cannot see anything from these lights even on the highest 80 watts bulb which was still better than stock ones but not upto my liking ( I had a 100/90 set on my old SX4 ZXi which i sold recently)
So I installed P4 HID kit 4300k on both upper & dipper. now the upper is much better and inspires confidence on highways the dipper is still very bad. I have no idea on how to fix this issue. I had installed a 20 Watt LED kit inside the bumper though it helps a bit, its throw distance is as good as the fog lights.

So I need help in this department as to what i can do to improve my visibility, does anyone have any idea how i can get that bracket made / installed on my XUV500 to install some Hella's, I dont want to go with full guard as i don't like to spoil the front look but something like this which is small will not ruin the look.

Also I would like to ask about the service intervals 20k kms after a service in my opinion is a lot, This is my first diesel car and i am loving every second of driving it, but i was under the impression that oil should be changed every 10,000. I was not aware of any oil except for Mobil's Full Synthetic oil which lasts over a long period of time. Is it a good idea to change the Mahindra Maximile Crown oil & oil filter every 10k if i want to?

I will also be doing an ICE Upgrade in this month hopefully.
Old 3rd July 2014, 12:04   #2715
BHPian

This is not a niggle nor a solution.. just some crazy doubt...
In the above XUV rally car image, any idea why Maruti Suzuki logos are there in the front. Also the top sticker on the windshield says Motor Sport with the logos at either ends..Would that be an innovative way to give the logos a different meaning...

FundaG

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks