Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2014, 00:28   #2761
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Ok got one small niggle today. While reversing, the revers sensors are not working. I also noticed that the reverse lights (white lights) are not glowing when you put the gear in reverse. So i am guessing that its not the reverse bulbs thats gone kaput, but maybe the fuse or something right??

Last edited by nitinralli : 1st August 2014 at 00:33.
Old 1st August 2014, 09:46   #2762
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
So i am guessing that its not the reverse bulbs that's gone kaput, but maybe the fuse or something right??
I am not able to find a separate fuse mentioned for reverse light & sensor. So if any fuse has blown out that means it will be shared with some other features and even those will not be working.
If you are not able to find any other issue I guess it will be a faulty 'reverse gear switch' (not sure of the correct term). This is the switch similar to the switch near break pedal which is for break lights.
Old 1st August 2014, 23:11   #2763
BHPian

I have a June 2014 XUV W8, done about 3,500Kms and am mostly satisfied with the vehicle. There are two issues that I have often noticed.
1. Every single morning the reversing camera (fitted as a free accessory at the showroom at the time of purchasing) acts up. Sometimes nothing shows up on the screen, sometimes it flickers, sometimes only the guide lines appear
2. The screen which appears when you adjust AC blower speed appears erratically when not changing blower speed. I think it mostly appears while changing gears

Both appear to be software glitches. Has anyone noticed this? Can this be rectified?

I have not taken the vehicle yet to the service center as these are erratic occurrences and I am not sure if I can reproduce them once at the service center.
Old 1st August 2014, 23:46   #2764
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjunair5 View Post
I have a June 2014 XUV W8, done about 3,500Kms and am mostly satisfied with the vehicle. There are two issues that I have often noticed.
1. Every single morning the reversing camera (fitted as a free accessory at the showroom at the time of purchasing) acts up. Sometimes nothing shows up on the screen, sometimes it flickers, sometimes only the guide lines appear
2. The screen which appears when you adjust AC blower speed appears erratically when not changing blower speed. I think it mostly appears while changing gears

Both appear to be software glitches. Has anyone noticed this? Can this be rectified?

I have not taken the vehicle yet to the service center as these are erratic occurrences and I am not sure if I can reproduce them once at the service center.
The first is most likely due to a faulty camera or installation. Please get it checked and rectified. Even accessories come with a one year warranty.

About the fan-speed screen appearing randomly, please check if your ACC is in "Auto" mode. In auto-mode, the system does play with the speed. If not, get it checked.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 15:50   #2765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjunair5 View Post
I too get this behavior. As SDP suggested pls check whether you have turned ON 'Auto' mode. The only assumption we can make is that the system is trying to adjust the temperature even when AC is off with 'Auto' switch enabled.
ebmrajesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 21:57   #2766
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
About the fan-speed screen appearing randomly, please check if your ACC is in "Auto" mode. In auto-mode, the system does play with the speed. If not, get it checked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebmrajesh View Post
I too get this behavior. As SDP suggested pls check whether you have turned ON 'Auto' mode. The only assumption we can make is that the system is trying to adjust the temperature even when AC is off with 'Auto' switch enabled.
My AC is not on Auto mode. So I guess I will have to get it tested at the service center.
Old 5th August 2014, 19:08   #2767
Distinguished - BHPian

I had a niggle in the initial few days when the infotainment system rebooted itself a couple of times. It didn't surface again and I was happy to that.
Been done with that, I was so hoping that I won't have to scribble in my niggle in this thread. For one, I am not one bit liking the mileage of this thread and I didn't want to contribute further to it.

However, things doesn't look as rosy as I had expected it to remain.
Now, I have a peculiar niggle.
It first surfaced a few weeks back.
My left side front passenger door doesn't open from inside at times.
The small unlock button doesn't budge at all. Not with my fingers, nor with the central unlocking too.

My wifey was stuck in the passenger seat and with a red face, she climbed across to the second row and released herself. Imagine the embarrassment.
Yes. I had a questionable dinner that evening. (No points for guessing )

However, after a couple of days, the door was back to its normal functioning ways. I consoled myself that it was over and out with and wouldn't surface again.
Well, it did.

This time also, the door didn't budge for a few days and then it was back to normalcy. This time it was my 6 year old daughter who was stuck and I was spared the red face

Then it surfaced one more time last weekend.
And come Sunday, the door was back to its normal ways.

Well, I could not leave it to its whims and fancies and have to find a solution for it and kill it at that. Cos, it wouldn't always be my benevolent daughter who might get stuck on the passenger seat

The RM at Mahindra was clueless.
Anyone here have experienced the same?
If yes, what's the solution?

Last edited by dhanushmenon : 5th August 2014 at 19:10.
Old 5th August 2014, 19:31   #2768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
I had a niggle in the initial few days when the infotainment system rebooted itself a couple of times. It didn't surface again and I was happy to that.
Been done with that, I was so hoping that I won't have to scribble in my niggle in this thread. For one, I am not one bit liking the mileage of this thread and I didn't want to contribute further to it.

The small unlock button doesn't budge at all. Not with my fingers, nor with the central unlocking too.

My wifey was stuck in the passenger seat and with a red face, she climbed across to the second row and released herself. Imagine the embarrassment.
Yes. I had a questionable dinner that evening. (No points for guessing )

However, after a couple of days, the door was back to its normal functioning ways. I consoled myself that it was over and out with and wouldn't surface again.
Well, it did.

This time also, the door didn't budge for a few days and then it was back to normalcy. This time it was my 6 year old daughter who was stuck and I was spared the red face

Then it surfaced one more time last weekend.
And come Sunday, the door was back to its normal ways.

Well, I could not leave it to its whims and fancies and have to find a solution for it and kill it at that. Cos, it wouldn't always be my benevolent daughter who might get stuck on the passenger seat

The RM at Mahindra was clueless.
Anyone here have experienced the same?
If yes, what's the solution?
Check out the link and ask the RM to check voltage to the solenoid and actuator.

http://www.auto-repair-help.com/auto...k_properly.php

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1239206
falconion is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 21:59   #2769

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconion View Post
Check out the link and ask the RM to check voltage to the solenoid and actuator.
It may be because of the dust and humid weather. You may try checking and cleaning the electric contacts of that door circuit, might work.
arrowhead6996 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 11:52   #2770
Team-BHP Support

What is the average life of the XUV's W8 brake pads.

My friend had to get his replaced at just 20k kms. (12k on highways, rest in traffic)
Is this normal. He is quite an experienced driver and formally owned a Fiesta D. The brake pads on that easily lasted 40K+.

Also why are they so expensive at almost 5k a pair.
Old 12th August 2014, 11:20   #2771

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

My friend had to get his replaced at just 20k kms. (12k on highways, rest in traffic)
Is this normal. He is quite an experienced driver and formally owned a Fiesta D. The brake pads on that easily lasted 40K+.

In my view 20,000 is too early to replace the brake shoes unless your friend was unlucky to have a set with some manufacturing defect, which is very unlikely.
I did 60000 with my old car {driven 50% in the mountains, 30% in cities (in both the places brakes are applied more often) and only 20% on highways}. Only the front brake shoes were changed around 40,000 km as a precautionary measure because of the mountainous region.
Most important factor determining brake shoe wear is the driving habit. You will often find it happening with a person who accelerates and brakes too often, especially in the city traffic and in the hills. With the of raw power of an SUV this tendency increases manifolds. The best way is to drive at moderate speeds and in proper gear.
arrowhead6996 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 15:36   #2772
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowhead6996 View Post
In my view 20,000 is too early to replace the brake shoes unless your friend was unlucky to have a set with some manufacturing defect, which is very unlikely.
My cousins XUV, which has the latest version of pad is nearing replacement. He has done around 22K KMS, as per his RM it may last for couple of thousand KMS more.

His drive is mostly on highways, I guess it may last for 30K KMs with a mixed use.
Old 13th August 2014, 13:14   #2773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
This is one of the most common niggle in an XUV, its because of the faulty lock mechanism. Happened to me on the day I took delivery of my XUV. And at least 7 times after that, left/ right. Do something. You would notice that the small unlock switch wont budge, try locking unlocking continuously. Either from the remote or by the driver side unlock switch. It would unlock after 5-6 attempts. You can try using the locked door unlock switch also, if you flick it you will understand that its not latching, go on toggling, and it would latch. Infact during unlateched phase the toggle unlock switch doesn't move, or moves very little, a little force is required to move it to the lock possition. This happens primarily during rainy season and also if the door is not properly closed and you pull the lever to open it, also if the passenger pulls the lever while you are in the process of unlocking.

Go to the A.S.S and tell them to change the mechanism.

Quote:

M&M has been on a perpetual experimentation mode with the brake design, material & brand. It would be good if you can let us know the manufacturing the truck. If its the 2012-2013 model its Bosch, which was legendary for grinding noise, and that happens if there's friction, which reduces brake life Tell him to check if they can change it to Galfer make? i got mines change because of the brake grinding noise.

Last edited by me_sid : 13th August 2014 at 13:19.
me_sid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 16:56   #2774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_sid View Post
M&M has been on a perpetual experimentation mode with the brake design, material & brand. It would be good if you can let us know the manufacturing the truck. If its the 2012-2013 model its Bosch, which was legendary for grinding noise, and that happens if there's friction, which reduces brake life Tell him to check if they can change it to Galfer make? i got mines change because of the brake grinding noise.
Bosch brake pads of 2013-2014 are good. The grinding noise issue has been resolved in the Bosch brake pads. I currently have the Bosch brake pads on my AWD March 2014 make and so far no issues as such.
Old 13th August 2014, 17:39   #2775
BHPian

Great.I sure hope that M&M have done their job on the grinding noise. But I would say hang on for a few more K kms. before coming to a conclusion. I am quite happy with the Galfers though, the bite is better than my earlier Bosch!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks