Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2014, 12:46   #2596
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
A fellow XUV-owner conveyed this:
Any thoughts?
I had observed some oil inside my intercooler and posted a picture here. You may also check out the next page (Page No. 10) of my ownership thread for some discussions on the matter that followed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbermeetsroad View Post
So no shape retention is definitely bad. And the strength itself of such a thing will be sub par and so in case of impact it will HIT THE ENGINE CASE WITH THE SAME FORCE AS THE STONE but with no cushion to absorb the energy of impact, which incidentally even rocks sometimes offer, by shattering or being deflected.
That being said there is one perfect solution that I thought of and have used successfully. What has shape retention? A SPRING OF COURSE!!
In this case one of the strips put of the mini truck suspension.
Lot can be found for cheap with highway repair shops. Kamani Patta is what it's calledं.
Thanks a lot for your valuable inputs. You have shared a great DIY idea which could be very useful for those who do off-roading or drive on badly broken roads.

In my XUV I decided to stick with the original plastic engine guard which has a layer of soft cushioning material on its inside surface (top). I don't do off-roading and drive slowly and cautiously on cratered roads. My original engine guard did get damaged once while crossing the Zozi La pass on my way to Ladakh. I wrote about it here. But thanks to the moderate impact absorbing and cushioning ability of the plastic engine guard, there was no damage to the crankcase.

After returning from Ladakh I had the bottom guard replaced with an original (plastic+cushioning) part. I do understand that this guard can only absorb mild impacts and helps to keep the engine bottom clean.
debuda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2014, 15:58   #2597

Do understand debuda, that's precisely what I meant. Either plastic or something that will "give" against impact thereby absorbing energy from impact instead of transferring it to the chamber. Original plastic as I said in my post is much better then a fabricated sheet shield which would just crumple once and in all future impacts would simply transfer all the energy to the part it was supposed to shield.
These plastic shields are doing what they are designed to do. Break bend and shear so that the engine sump doesn't .
Slightly philosophical but actually this is what is meant by sacrificial protection. Better replace plastic guard instead of an engine
Do understand you chose to go with the stock part, I'd have done the same. But just though I would take the opportunity to warn people off from having fabricated sheet shields, if they want to do something of the kind, they should go with my trick.
A bit more detail if any one was interested in my version of tuff shield made out of one out of the leaf springs of truck suspension-
If you go for the top one piece of leaf spring
Stack-
DO NOT use welds etc
That is not a good way. Just get 2 new bush assemblies (cheap ) fOr the same vehicle you are using leaf springs from and install them to your chassis ladder and then install as if installing normal leaf suspension. <5000 all incl is what it set me back by.
rubbermeetsroad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2014, 12:15   #2598
BHPian

I an facing a very irritating issue in my new XUV. This is about false door open alarm. The alarm gets activated particularly when you are slowly coming down from a ramp, like the ones generally you have at the exit gates in some malls etc. The alarm along with the door open icon comes on and sometimes cabin light also gets turned on. Everything becomes normal Once you are on a plain surface.

Minor but very irritating issue which I think some other members have also reported earlier. Hope Mahindra takes a note and addresses this small yet annoying issue.
Old 4th May 2014, 18:22   #2599
BHPian

Hi guys,

I am getting a rattling sound from the plastic cap on the top of the instrument console. This goes away if I keep a handkerchief between the cap and the console. Is there a DIY way to solve this? Someone told me on the other thread that they put some foam (much like my handkerchief) but I am hoping for a better solution.

Carvoyeur
Old 4th May 2014, 22:42   #2600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgupta View Post
I an facing a very irritating issue in my new XUV. This is about false door open alarm. The alarm gets activated particularly when you are slowly coming down from a ramp, like the ones generally you have at the exit gates in some malls etc. The alarm along with the door open icon comes on and sometimes cabin light also gets turned on. Everything becomes normal Once you are on a plain surface.

Minor but very irritating issue which I think some other members have also reported earlier. Hope Mahindra takes a note and addresses this small yet annoying issue.
This is a known issue. It is most likely your bonnet sensor which has gone awry. Just land up at the service centre for a quick adjustment or replacement in case required.

Not a big issue, but certainly can be irritating if the alarm going off when you are tucked in bed
Old 4th May 2014, 23:12   #2601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisu View Post
This is a known issue. It is most likely your bonnet sensor which has gone awry. Just land up at the service centre for a quick adjustment or replacement in case required.

Not a big issue, but certainly can be irritating if the alarm going off when you are tucked in bed

I will have to visit the service centre but to keep the ad hoc visits to a minimum I just want to drive for few more kilometers. I have so far completed about 1300 Kms. May be 2k would be a good time for a visit to get the issues addressed before the 5 k service.
Old 6th May 2014, 17:24   #2602
BHPian

After 20 months of no niggles, I faced a bulb conked out situation during my recent ooty trip. At first the left hand side low beam bulb(projector) got fused. Then after 4 days the high beam also fused out.

Yesterday I went to TVS, Kochi and the RM informed me that Mahindra has started supplying a altered version due to such frequent blow out issues. So I've changed all four bulbs ,btw all four bulbs are same and 55W rated.
Vasuki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 22:13   #2603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
After 20 months of no niggles, I faced a bulb conked out situation during my recent ooty trip. At first the left hand side low beam bulb(projector) got fused. Then after 4 days the high beam also fused out.

Yesterday I went to TVS, Kochi and the RM informed me that Mahindra has started supplying a altered version due to such frequent blow out issues. So I've changed all four bulbs ,btw all four bulbs are same and 55W rated.
What was the cost for the new bulbs?
Old 7th May 2014, 09:08   #2604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post

What make are these new improved bulbs? Any Information on what was wrong with the older bulbs that were being used?
Old 7th May 2014, 09:30   #2605
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Are the changes done to the bulbs? Few pages before there was a post that RM's had informed about a new wiring harness to fix this issue.
Old 7th May 2014, 09:31   #2606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajohn View Post
What was the cost for the new bulbs?
In all it cost me Rs.1180\-for four bulbs. It took around 20 minutes for the job.

One thing to say other than left side low beam which can be removed straight away, all other three bulbs replacement requires considerable labour. So to replace bulbs visit to service station is essential.

I would quote it as a manufacturing defect/negligence in the part of Mahindra, to imagine stranded @ night in lonely place with fused bulbs and not able to change it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViPo View Post
What make are these new improved bulbs? Any Information on what was wrong with the older bulbs that were being used?
Osaram Headlamp Long life Bulb. Only information is that mahindra has gone for a altered version of bulbs. Didn't get into details. Just enquired as suggested by @tsk1979, Link : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3423883 whether it is the alternator issue, which was replied in negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
^^ Are the changes done to the bulbs? Few pages before there was a post that RM's had informed about a new wiring harness to fix this issue.
No such information. Told me these new bulbs would solve the issue. Let us wait & see.

Last edited by Vasuki : 7th May 2014 at 09:33.
Vasuki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 14:44   #2607
BHPian

Hi My Name is Jim and I have been following this thread for quite some time. But just got my membership approved today.

My W8 is on its 2nd year (11 Aug 2012) and I have a few issues/queries on this. It would be great if someone could help with.
I will go one by one with these

Headlamps :
The projector lamps most of the time feels inadequate to light up the tracks. Especially when it rains, also on heavy traffic. And my high beams are angled too high and collides at somewhere around 25-30 meters in front.

Low-beam (Projector) I am someone who prefers driving on Low beams, especially in city. What TVS service in Kochi suggested is an upgrade to more powerful bulbs which can be bought from outside and they said they can help me with fixing it. Which bulbs, what exact specs of these bulbs should i go for. ??

High Beam : For all these 21 months I have been struggling to get my high beams to be on a neat angle. both the lights end up at same same spot and it does not help at all. Every time at the service center I ask the personnel to correct, and it doesn't help.
Is there any way, or something specific that I should tell the service guys to get rid of this ??
Old 8th May 2014, 16:22   #2608
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
High Beam : For all these 21 months I have been struggling to get my high beams to be on a neat angle. both the lights end up at same same spot and it does not help at all. Every time at the service center I ask the personnel to correct, and it doesn't help.
Is there any way, or something specific that I should tell the service guys to get rid of this ??
Can't help you with the angle, but you can try Osram Nighbreaker +90% bulbs for the high beams. They will offer better range.
Price is about 850-900/pair in the open market.
Geniune bulbs come in plastic packing with a OSRAM hologram. Make sure that the hologram is not cut as sometimes unscrupulous dealers remove original bulbs and put fakes.

Regarding your beam direction, please park your car 10 meters from a white wall, and click some pictures to explain your point better.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 16:45   #2609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Can't help you with the angle, but you can try Osram Nighbreaker +90% bulbs for the high beams. They will offer better range.
Price is about 850-900/pair in the open market.
Geniune bulbs come in plastic packing with a OSRAM hologram. Make sure that the hologram is not cut as sometimes unscrupulous dealers remove original bulbs and put fakes.

Regarding your beam direction, please park your car 10 meters from a white wall, and click some pictures to explain your point better.
Thanks so much for that quick revert.

Coming back to the high-beam issue, to clarify - I never felt it less powerful, the illumination issue was with the low beams, assume Nightbreaker +90% would do the work for the projector, correct me if I am wrong.

Will get some pics and post it here as advised.
Old 8th May 2014, 17:19   #2610
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
Thanks so much for that quick revert.

Coming back to the high-beam issue, to clarify - I never felt it less powerful, the illumination issue was with the low beams, assume Nightbreaker +90% would do the work for the projector, correct me if I am wrong.

Will get some pics and post it here as advised.
Yes, they output more light than regular bulbs. But please note these +90% type of bulbs have lower life than normal bulbs in any car.
Expect 30-40% lower life irrespective of what the bulb manufacturer claims
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks