Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2014, 14:31   #2461
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
Yes it's indeed a safety feature and is the correct practice, to ensure safety. However this should be reset after a minute or so as @spkingsley had mentioned or atleast cleared by turning off and on the ignition. In my case, I even removed the battery terminals and connected back again. The first time, the erros were cleared as well by the SS. The errors still persisted and now my CC wouldn't work atall. I have emailed this issue to the Regional Customer Manager and shall wait for an update from him.
It is a safety feature. It is also mentioned in the manual. So count till say 8 and let go, then hold for another 8 to continuously increase speed. Alternatively, you can go on clicking or just step on the accelerator and once you've achieved the desired speed... set the cruise to that seed.

This was one of my issues for which I had written to Anand Mahindra. See the entire letter and his response here - http://thomasnibu.blogspot.in/2013/1...-mahindra.html
triedeverything is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 14:57   #2462
BHPian

@triedeverything, agree to the first part of CC disengaging itself after pressing the + button continuously. Is it really a safety concern that shuts off CC all together and doesn't allow it to come back again, ever. Perhaps the ECU is very smart and decides, I'm not worth being rewarded a CC and instead gift me a new steering wheel.

The error codes even, after clearing, stays put. Is there a concept of flashing the software new on the Cheetah ?
Old 21st January 2014, 16:23   #2463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
It is a safety feature. It is also mentioned in the manual. So count till say 8 and let go, then hold for another 8 to continuously increase speed. Alternatively, you can go on clicking or just step on the accelerator and once you've achieved the desired speed... set the cruise to that seed.

This was one of my issues for which I had written to Anand Mahindra. See the entire letter and his response here - http://thomasnibu.blogspot.in/2013/1...-mahindra.html
Hi 'triedeverything' or should I say pharoah?

I went through your letter to Anand Mahindra and boy what a good read! You definitely have a panache for writing.

What made your letter stand out was that it wasn't negative in nature. You raised some significant issues but at the same time affirmed your trust in the brand. I think this is what made Anand Mahindra take notice.

Anyways, I'm rambling now. Keep up the good work and hope your cheetah is still going strong.

Cheeerzzz
Sisu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 08:39   #2464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
@triedeverything, agree to the first part of CC disengaging itself after pressing the + button continuously. Is it really a safety concern that shuts off CC all together and doesn't allow it to come back again, ever.
It's not for ever... it's for that ignition cycle. The error codes will also be wiped out after the restart. So when you stop the engine and then restart, cruise will engage again.

I completely agree with you. I find it ridiculous that I have to restart the engine to get it to work again. There's no reason to stop the function in that cycle. If it gets stuck, you disengage cruise automatically. But you should allow me to engage it again without having to stop the engine! I would call it a serious usability issue.
But then again, maybe there's something we aren't aware of here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisu View Post
Hi 'triedeverything' or should I say pharoah?

I went through your letter to Anand Mahindra and boy what a good read! You definitely have a panache for writing.

What made your letter stand out was that it wasn't negative in nature. You raised some significant issues but at the same time affirmed your trust in the brand. I think this is what made Anand Mahindra take notice.

Anyways, I'm rambling now. Keep up the good work and hope your cheetah is still going strong.

Cheeerzzz
Thank you. It's going strong at 8000 kms I really appreciate Anand Mahindra for being as approachable as he is. I don't think I can get this kind of attention anywhere else. At least I'm not aware. So with all its problems (these are small niggles mostly) I'm a really happy customer. Of course... there are countless reasons (if you can recall the XUV ad in the ASC) to be so too

Last edited by triedeverything : 22nd January 2014 at 08:44.
Old 22nd January 2014, 09:47   #2465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I really appreciate Anand Mahindra for being as approachable as he is. I don't think I can get this kind of attention anywhere else. At least I'm not aware. So with all its problems (these are small niggles mostly) I'm a really happy customer.
Agree with you on that, the attention you get is very satisfying with M&M. No second thought on that!

I only wish they tighten the QC on the production line, my only crib with them for me not buying the XUV!
Old 22nd January 2014, 09:57   #2466
BHPian

All,

Have been on the fence for a long time with regards to the purchase of XUV especially due to the lack of options.

I am convinced that most of the design issues in the product have been fixed but what is bothering me is the lackadaisical attitude from the A.S.S since I come from Maruti A.S.S and Hyundai A.S.S who have been outstanding on all fronts (though the latter seem to be becoming expensive)

For all folks who live in Bangalore (especially west Bangalore) which is the best option for servicing your XUV.

This has been one reason for being on the fence for this long

Cheers

-Sateesh
Old 22nd January 2014, 16:57   #2467

Never thought I'd have to write this. After a near niggle-free existence of two years the cheetah gave up on me yesterday. I’ve had the usual niggles - the omnipresent brake grinding noise, notorious ICE software issues and the infamous alarm going off (I’ll save those for an ownership thread), but yesterday was a totally different experience.

Was on my way back from Coorg and the clutch started acting up half way through the journey. Once depressed, the pedal just would not come back up. The ICE also started showing an alert about the brake fluid being low and asked me to drive slowly. I remembered reading about clutch issues faced by fellow BHPians, but was confused with the brake fluid alert. Since I was with my wife and six month old kid, I did not want to stop in the middle of nowhere so early in the morning. I kept driving and the cheetah brought me all the way till NICE road where it just gave up! At the Hosur road exit toll plaza, the clutch went all the way in and I was not able to slot into any gear.

Then the moments of frustration started! Multiple phone calls ensued, to dealers and to the Mahindra helpline. Had to make 3 calls to the helpline to get a proper response! And each time, the person at the other end said something new! The third guy was kind enough to pass my number through to Sireesh auto and they called me promptly. I was informed that the free tow facility was available only for a period of 2 years. Since I had already crossed that, I had to pay on my own. After multiple discussions and frustrating phone calls, I found myself waiting for a flatbed to arrive.

Finally, after being stuck at NICE road for close to 3 hours (that too in the scorching sun), the cheetah was towed to Sireesh Auto service center at Marthahalli. It was a sad feeling, almost as if I was in an ambulance taking someone close to the hospital. In the evening, the RM called me and said there was a leak in the CSC (Clutch Slave Cylinder, I guess). Since the XUV has the same reservoir for both clutch and brake fluids, the brake alert started appearing on the ICE. I heard from some of my friends at Mahindra that this was an issue among XUVs being driven in cities, because of the constant clutch usage. Also, the vehicle has done only around 29k kms. So I made my intentions clear that I would not want to pay for any replacement. Today morning, the RM called me again and said the parts and replacement would be made free of cost!

Long story short, I still love the Cheetah! It is an absolute bliss to drive on highways. Have done some crazy stuff within the city as well! Except for some niggles here and there, it is an amazing vehicle. I am happy that M&M does take necessary steps to ensure that issues are addressed fast and without any cost to the customer. But I am frustrated about the incompetence of some people at the “With You Hamesha” helpline! They can really put a dent on the brand image. Sireesh Auto was another saving grace. The staff was very professional and courteous in all their interactions. Since I was carrying the entire luggage from Coorg, they also arranged for another vehicle to drop me home.

The Cheetah is due for service in another 400 kms, so I asked them to do that as well. Now eagerly waiting to get back the cheetah and start yet another adventure! Hopefully a niggle free one this time.

Mod Note : Please do NOT cut-copy-paste text from other word software (MS Word etc.). That results in a formatting error on our Forum.

Click here to know how to remove FONT Tags from your post.

Going forward, do keep in mind that it's best to type directly into Team-BHP.

Thanks

Last edited by Aditya : 25th January 2014 at 16:14.
Perplexed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 19:19   #2468
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
For all folks who live in Bangalore (especially west Bangalore) which is the best option for servicing your XUV.
Sateesh, I recommend Anant Cars at Bannerghatta Road, opposite the IIM, Bangalore.
Old 24th January 2014, 16:24   #2469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perplexed View Post
[COLOR=black]Never thought I'd have to write this. After a near niggle-free existence of two years the cheetah gave up on me yesterday. I’ve had the usual niggles - the omnipresent brake grinding noise, notorious ICE software issues and the infamous alarm going off (I’ll save those for an ownership thread), but yesterday was a totally different experience.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]Was on my way back from Coorg and the clutch started acting up half way through the journey. Once depressed, the pedal just would not come back up. The ICE also started showing an alert about the brake fluid being low and asked me to drive slowly. I remembered reading about clutch issues faced by fellow BHPians, but was confused with the brake fluid alert. Since I was with my wife and six month old kid, I did not want to stop in the middle of nowhere so early in the morning. I kept driving and the cheetah brought me all the way till NICE road where it just gave up! At the Hosur road exit toll plaza, the clutch went all the way in and I was not able to slot into any gear.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]Then the moments of frustration started! Multiple phone calls ensued, to dealers and to the Mahindra helpline. Had to make 3 calls to the helpline to get a proper response! And each time, the person at the other end said something new! The third guy was kind enough to pass my number through to Sireesh auto and they called me promptly. I was informed that the free tow facility was available only for a period of 2 years. Since I had already crossed that, I had to pay on my own. After multiple discussions and frustrating phone calls, I found myself waiting for a flatbed to arrive.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]Finally, after being stuck at NICE road for close to 3 hours (that too in the scorching sun), the cheetah was towed to Sireesh Auto service center at Marthahalli. It was a sad feeling, almost as if I was in an ambulance taking someone close to the hospital. In the evening, the RM called me and said there was a leak in the CSC (Clutch Slave Cylinder, I guess). Since the XUV has the same reservoir for both clutch and brake fluids, the brake alert started appearing on the ICE. I heard from some of my friends at Mahindra that this was an issue among XUVs being driven in cities, because of the constant clutch usage. Also, the vehicle has done only around 29k kms. So I made my intentions clear that I would not want to pay for any replacement. Today morning, the RM called me again and said the parts and replacement would be made free of cost![/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]Long story short, I still love the Cheetah! It is an absolute bliss to drive on highways. Have done some crazy stuff within the city as well! Except for some niggles here and there, it is an amazing vehicle. I am happy that M&M does take necessary steps to ensure that issues are addressed fast and without any cost to the customer. But I am frustrated about the incompetence of some people at the “With You Hamesha” helpline! They can really put a dent on the brand image. Sireesh Auto was another saving grace. The staff was very professional and courteous in all their interactions. Since I was carrying the entire luggage from Coorg, they also arranged for another vehicle to drop me home. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]The Cheetah is due for service in another 400 kms, so I asked them to do that as well. Now eagerly waiting to get back the cheetah and start yet another adventure! Hopefully a niggle free one this time…[/COLOR]
So sad to hear that, specially with your family along. I do not understand why have they made one reservoir for both the clutch and brakes. It does not save much money anyways for the company.
Old 24th January 2014, 16:45   #2470
BHPian

@perplexed
sorry to hear the plight. I got my second service done for my vehicle last week. Had run10700 kms. The RM called me and told me about this smell inside the vehicle and they informed about the slave cylinder change needed and the same was done under warranty. He told me I could have had the clutch getting stuck and the gears getting locked if left unchanged. The same issue you faced. I don't know if this is the same issue but remember someone else in the forum facing the same issue too a while back. The RM also informed me the new one installed is of newer design and would last.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Jred is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 17:16   #2471
BHPian

Quote:
In the evening, the RM called me and said there was a leak in the CSC (Clutch Slave Cylinder, I guess).
It seems from your description that the clutch started malfunctioning when the oil level went down. Probably topping up the brake oil would have temporarily solved the problem and then the car could have been driven to the workshop for permanent repairs rather than being towed.

I get an impression that the standard operating procedure of M&M roadside assistance is to first tow the car to the workshop rather than trying to attend to the problem in situ regardless of the nature of the problem. I experienced this myself when my XUV broke down (due to water ingress in fuse box) at Kargil and M&M wanted to tow the car all the way to Srinagar. It called for much persuasion on my part (plus contacting some senior officials) to convince them that the problem could be minor and amenable to in situ repairs. Finally, my XUV was set right in Kargil itself and it just needed an hour's work (drying out the fuse box).

I'd like to know which parts were changed in your XUV and how much did you have to pay for the towing.
Old 24th January 2014, 17:25   #2472
BHPian

Quote:
I heard from some of my friends at Mahindra that this was an issue among XUVs being driven in cities, because of the constant clutch usage.
What a pathetic excuse! Seriously, haven't M&M learnt anything at all!!
Old 24th January 2014, 18:07   #2473
BHPian

Going by these experiences, is there a specific PDI checklist for XUV? I mean can some of these be detected during early inspection or we have to leave it to fate and hope that we are not the unlucky ones :(
Old 24th January 2014, 21:12   #2474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
All,

but what is bothering me is the lackadaisical attitude from the A.S.S since I come from Maruti A.S.S and Hyundai A.S.S who have been outstanding on all fronts (though the latter seem to be becoming expensive)

Mahindra's A.S.S is not that bad. I had a Honda before this and was in the same state of mind initially when I took the XUV. But so far it was well above my expectations.

I service at Anant cars on Bannerghatta road.

Quote:
[COLOR=black]
[COLOR=black]Was on my way back from Coorg and the clutch started acting up half way through the journey. Once depressed, the pedal just would not come back up. The ICE also started showing an alert about the brake fluid being low and asked me to drive slowly. I remembered reading about clutch issues faced by fellow BHPians, but was confused with the brake fluid alert. Since I was with my wife and six month old kid, I did not want to stop in the middle of nowhere so early in the morning. I kept driving and the cheetah brought me all the way till NICE road where it just gave up! At the Hosur road exit toll plaza, the clutch went all the way in and I was not able to slot into any gear.[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
That is a pretty scary incident. My beasts done 20000+ kms. So far no issues noted with the clutch. But such incidents really puts a scare in ones mind especially when doing long distance.

FundaG
Old 25th January 2014, 22:17   #2475

Mods, sorry about the formatting issue. Being a newbie, my post did not appear immediately and hence did not notice the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manipal View Post
It does not save much money anyways for the company.
@manipal, not sure about that. Looks like the philosophy is to save every single rupee without much thought to the issues that might arise out of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jred View Post
The RM also informed me the new one installed is of newer design and would last.
@Jred, Thanks for the that update. I did not know that there was a new design for this as well. Will check with my RM and hope the new design lasts as you mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
It seems from your description that the clutch started malfunctioning when the oil level went down. Probably topping up the brake oil would have temporarily solved the problem and then the car could have been driven to the workshop for permanent repairs rather than being towed.

I'd like to know which parts were changed in your XUV and how much did you have to pay for the towing.
@debuda, topping up the brake oil would have definitely helped. I was hoping it would reach till Bangalore since I was already on my way. My bad. Guess the XUV is really teaching me more and more about automobiles!

And I paid Rs. 1800 for towing. Not sure of what all was changed to rectify the issue. The bill had only the service related charged mentioned. No mention of the parts replaced! But the RM mentioned that the CSC was changed. Will check with her and see if I can get more information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
That is a pretty scary incident. My beasts done 20000+ kms. So far no issues noted with the clutch. But such incidents really puts a scare in ones mind especially when doing long distance.

FundaG
@FundaG, if there is indeed a new design for the CSC as JRed mentioned, then you might want to check with your RM the next time you visit the A.S.S. And to be honest, somehow I still love the vehicle! Will be doing another Kerala trip next week. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Perplexed is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks