Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2012, 05:00   #961
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

@ANM and other users of Mahindra Micro Hybrid tech
Please keep the system off during first 1500 kms of running in, I think your manuals should also suggest the same.
Old 26th September 2012, 09:56   #962
anm
BHPian

didn't understand this. Keep the system off? Do you mean the stereo/ nav etc?
Old 26th September 2012, 11:20   #963
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Roadie View Post
Please keep the system off during first 1500 kms of running in, I think your manuals should also suggest the same.
Why?
The manual does not mention it. At least I don't remember reading it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anm View Post
didn't understand this. Keep the system off? Do you mean the stereo/ nav etc?
He means keep the start-stop function turned off (not the infortainment system). There is a separate switch for it in the lower switch-bank.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2012, 14:32   #964
anm
BHPian

thanks guys - I didn't know this. The person who was supposed to come for a demo of features has disappeared. I have turned it off for good today as it was not working for me anyways.
Old 26th September 2012, 15:50   #965
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by moleculez View Post
I really dont know hows its related, maybe as mentioned it could be hydraulic. All I know is I dont want any fellow XUV drivers to be stuck on the middle of the road cause they turn off the engine. Anyways the car sits in the service center from Monday till now and it hasnt even been touched as due to the festive season they have low manpower. I hope to get the car by Saturday, and when I goto fletch it I will ask them about the clutch failure in detail.
moleculez, any updates on the clutch replacement and the causes for failure? Please do let us know.
Old 26th September 2012, 16:17   #966
BHPian

The car was towed on 17th September and i got it back on 24th September evening. ONLY clutch replacement was done. As per the RM it takes 2 full days for 3 people to replace the clutch assembly. I did see the car being repaired and it sure is a lot of work. They have to remove everything from the battery till the shock abs. I have the car for 2 day and its working fine as now. The gear shifting feels no different from what it was before.

Also I saw 3 more cars waiting for the clutch replacement. Apparently my car is from the first batch and its called the B6 batch. The maximum problems they have been coming across are from this batch. So i guess you guys get check if your car is from the same lot.
Old 26th September 2012, 17:48   #967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Why?
The manual does not mention it. At least I don't remember reading it.
I am out at sea so don't have the manual to cross check but it was there in the M-hawk manual if I remember correctly. Maybe it's not there in the XUV manual, but as a diesel guy I'd recommend keeping micro hybrid off during the running in stage.
Off Roadie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2012, 17:56   #968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP

General question: Can the owner ask for a replacement vehicle while the service center takes its own sweet time to sort out a critical issue?
Yes they provided a replacement to me, it was xylo but AC was not working, so I refused. Then they told me that I can hire a cab and they will reimburse it upto RS. 1000 per day. They told me that I will have to submit the bill and will receive a check from mahindra.
I just needed a ride back home and so hired a cab and did not present any bill to them.
rohitbagai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2012, 13:10   #969
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have completed 500 km on NCR roads. Avg is 9kmpl in traffic, and I witnessed 16kmpl for empty road - for about 20km stretch. The variation is huge. Does it get better after first service?
I feel the FE has a lot to do with the driving style. I have heard similar complain from one of my esteemed colleagues as well. However, I believe driving with a light foot, using clutch absolutely when needed (read gear change) and also resetting the FE on the console and starting afresh might help you check your FE better.

While in city traffic we do not get to do any high speed runs I have seen people press accelerator more than required only to brake again in less than 50 feet distance. This kind of thing again and again kills your FE. I would rather you drive at a lower gear and not use any accelerator but just realease the clutch gently to keep jogging along with the crawling army of vehicles.

Similarly driving on 2nd or 3rd gear with a dab on the clutch from time to time when needed is a very regular driving style. It works far better if you drive say at 2nd gear instead of the 3rd gear without any clutch support. Clutch is only to change gears or to put it in neutral. Post that you should aim to release that immediately.

Quote:
Can the auto stop time be set to a little longer? In the queue for noida toll, it starts/ stops multiple times. I manually switch it off altogether. But it is a good fuel saver on the positive side.
Nope... and in my opinion I am better off without that feature. I doubt how much of a fuel saving that start and stop routine again and again brings in, but it surely affects your starter motor, the battery life and may be even the turbo on the long run.

Quote:
Minor niggle - when the clutch is down, it stops showing the gear it is in. It is again a great feature otherwise. I may have a tough time going back to any other car given these features.
Yep... and that's by design. However they could have designed it better though wherein the current gear could have been constantly visible.

Quote:
Closing doors need extra attention, minor niggle. Also if a door is open, it doesn't tell which one. PLUS, the red light on ALL doors lights up. I kept on banging driver door while the rear door was not closed properly.
Actually it does. Next time keep a check on the Alerts tab (!) on the info screen. It remains dull gray for most part but lights up whenever there is an alert including for door open. And if you select that tab it tells you in plain english as to which door is open. I saw that the last time InOrbit mall security did not close the rear hatch properly. Although it was not jumping up and down (understandable considering the weight of those doors) the alert tab lit up. I was concerned that a new problem has come up but then it was only an alert for the rear hatch door open.

Quote:
I am wondering what treatments should I get done. Underbody only? Or something else?
Underbody treatment should really help in my opinion. Specifically since most modern day cities in India have a water logging problem during the monsoons. Constant spraying of water on the underbody may prove corrosive over the years. And if you live anywhere close to one of the coastal cities like Mumbai or Chennai then it is all the more imperative that you get a protective coating done.

Last edited by Zappo : 27th September 2012 at 13:12.
Zappo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2012, 17:47   #970
anm
BHPian

thanks Zappo. I keep these in mind, but in delhi traffic in places like Kalindi kunj, nothing works you will have tough time going to second gear in the bumper to bumper traffic. I keep braking to minimum and control speed mostly with just accelerator. Skoda's real time fuel efficiency has taught me a great deal on how to extract better fuel efficiency. But in skoda petrol's swings were not that wide. Mostly between 9-12 kmpl.
I am being asked 9.5k for underbody treatment by Mahindra showroom. Is that fine?
Old 27th September 2012, 20:18   #971
BHPian

Quote:
I am being asked 9.5k for underbody treatment by Mahindra showroom. Is that fine?
Here at TVS Cochin they quoted Rs.4.7K for under body & 4.5K for paint protection treatment. The above quote must be for both.
Old 28th September 2012, 12:33   #972
anm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Roadie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Here at TVS Cochin they quoted Rs.4.7K for under body & 4.5K for paint protection treatment. The above quote must be for both.
he is asking 12.5k if I get both done. This is at Mahindra showroom.
Old 28th September 2012, 14:14   #973
BHPian

I have an August manufactured W8 - thought I will update on some of the known niggles from previous batches

- The brake grinding noise hasn't yet occurred for me ( done only 1000 Kms ).
- No alarm going off, infotainment system shutting off abruptly or general electronics problem of any kind so far ( touch wood big time! )
- Doors had minor shutting issue - more of alignment problem. All it takes is a patient mechanic from the service station to spend 15 mins on a flat surface to get this fixed. The doors including the boot now shut super smooth.
- Infotainment has one small issue - the volume knob doesn't function as a scroll knob when looking at lists ( songs list or phone calls). Manual says, it should - but it doesn't. Asked the RM about this, he wasn't sure if this is a problem with everyone or not. Software version is the latest
- Auto AC functioning is as expected. When you switch it on in "Auto", it will start with fresh air mode. I think this is by design, to enable faster cooling - a practice I used to follow diligently in all my older cars, when i lived in Chennai/Mumbai/Delhi ( getting in to a car on a summer day was like being inside a furnace)
- "The steering column rubbing against the foot" problem has actually never been a problem for me , I tend to use the toes of my foot for the clutch, and have never felt it run the steering column when turning.

There is only one issue I face

- Noticeable noise / vibration passing thru the cabin when I shift up from 2 to 3 & 3 to 4 primarily. Happens when the tacho hits about 2K RPM mark - the vibration comes 9/10 times and passes in just a moment after the tacho crosses the 2.1K mark. Had given the vehicle to the service station, they tried to fix it - but the problem is still present, havent had a chance to followup with the RM yet - planning to do that next week, since my first service is still a couple of months away.

Do any of you guys have this similar issue ?

Last edited by redindian : 28th September 2012 at 14:31.
redindian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2012, 14:42   #974
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
he is asking 12.5k if I get both done. This is at Mahindra showroom.
Understandable... Delhi is probably one up on most other places. Kerala looks best by far looking at the price quoted to Vasuki. If you get underbody quoting done outside. the best of them charge you around 3.5 to 4k for the job. By the way, in Hyderabad the dealer charges 7k for the same job. It's basically called making hay as long as the sun is shining. With XUV going great guns the dealers never had it so good. They are asking for any price that they feel like charging, thats all. Get it done outside of the dealership mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redindian View Post
- Infotainment has one small issue - the volume knob doesn't function as a scroll knob when looking at lists ( songs list or phone calls). Manual says, it should - but it doesn't. Asked the RM about this, he wasn't sure if this is a problem with everyone or not. Software version is the latest
Ok, this is new! Will check the manual on this one. As far as I know the list button gets the list of music files. The seek prev button helps go higher up the folders hierarchy. Similarly up and down arrow keys help you scroll through. If you press and hold then it helps you to run through the pagination. Stop at the desired page and then scroll to the file you want to play. Press the center of the volume knob and it will be selected.

Similarly for phonebook, if you press and hold the arrow key you will jump through the listing in alphabetical order. Stop at the desired alphabet and then find the name by scrolling.

One of those manuals had something written on how to search for an entry, I believe. However, the search never worked for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redindian View Post
- Noticeable noise / vibration passing thru the cabin when I shift up from 2 to 3 & 3 to 4 primarily. Happens when the tacho hits about 2K RPM mark - the vibration comes 9/10 times and passes in just a moment after the tacho crosses the 2.1K mark. Had given the vehicle to the service station, they tried to fix it - but the problem is still present, havent had a chance to followup with the RM yet - planning to do that next week, since my first service is still a couple of months away.

Do any of you guys have this similar issue ?
Recently I noticed that while accelerating at certain RPM the noise from the engine reaches a crescendo, almost like another couple of noise sources ganged up together all of a sudden to increase the decibel levels. It again goes down above the RPM. But I dont think it happens for any particular gear as such.

Last edited by Zappo : 28th September 2012 at 14:56.
Old 28th September 2012, 15:36   #975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Recently I noticed that while accelerating at certain RPM the noise from the engine reaches a crescendo, almost like another couple of noise sources ganged up together all of a sudden to increase the decibel levels. It again goes down above the RPM. But I dont think it happens for any particular gear as such.
Same stuff for me - maybe its not on a particular gear, but just around the 2K RPM Mark. In city driving you hardly go 4-5 @ 2K RPM since that hits nearly 100 KMPH - so probably thats the reason i keep seeing it at 3 & 4th gears.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks