Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2012, 21:09   #826
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

A couple of examples may not mean much, but I vividly remember a colleague in my office becoming one of the earliest buyers of a Polo in Hyderabad and soon complaining of the headlight nacelle behind the glass becoming water logged after the first rains! Its not something you expect of German cars, but it happens!

The quality of the vehicles produced in or rather for India may not be tights as those abroad or those made in India for the export markets!
Old 13th August 2012, 00:07   #827
BHPian

After reading all (well almost)the problems and niggles that i have read on this thread, I have realised that most of the niggles could have been sorted or taken care of at the final manufacturing levels.
But the downside is (IMO) that the test runs were either not done religiously or the people involved chose to ignore or report such niggles.

Technically all the problems can be cured if there is a will to do it. And none of us doubt that M&M is trying very hard to put a full stop to such problems. However there seems to be some design flaws, such as wiper starting to wipe before water reaches the windshied. Or that black shadowed or unlit area when headlights are on. These should be fixed by the means of replacement on all vehicles. Well hoping that it will happen one day.

PS: I have just taken the delivery of W8 white on 9/8/12. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 13th August 2012, 08:33   #828
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by liferocks View Post
PS: I have just taken the delivery of W8 white on 9/8/12. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Congratulations liferocks!
With you a happy niggle-free experience. Hope you have not faced any issues in the first week of ownership.
Old 13th August 2012, 08:41   #829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossiter View Post

1) I'm getting a scraping noise from the front left wheel during acceleration from 20-40 kmph. It's like something's holding the wheel and it's hampering the acceleration.
Rossiter - I am experiencing the exact same issue on my 3 week / 800km old Xuvi. Scraping sound - as though something plastic is rubbing against the tire. It does feel like whatever it is is hampering the free movement of the tire at that speed. But once I accelerate beyond 30-40 kmph, the issue disappears. Gut feeling is that the ABS / braking system is playing up.

Is this fixed for you now? If so, can you pls share as to what was done to address this issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushargohil View Post
3 Scraping noise from front left wheel during acceleration from 20-40 kmph (it’s gone now)
9 Gear shifting not smooth (it’s like butter now)
Tushargohil - could you shed some light as to what was done to resolve these issues. I have taken my Xuvi to Sireesh Auto, Bangalore a couple times & they just can't seem to figure out the source of the scraping noise. They are asking me to leave the vehicle now for about 3-4 days.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 13th August 2012 at 09:04. Reason: merging posts. please use the edit option if posting within 30mins on the same thread.
Old 13th August 2012, 11:22   #830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP

Congratulations liferocks!
With you a happy niggle-free experience. Hope you have not faced any issues in the first week of ownership.
Thanks my friend. Infact I dont see anything to complain as of now. Just hoping for a trouble free experience.
Regards
liferocks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2012, 11:37   #831
Distinguished - BHPian

My friend, a fellow bhpian took delivery of W8 couple of days back. Few things I need help on
1) Rear aircon button on the dash not working. Pressed this couple of times and it doesnt switch on. The rear aircon is working and cannot be switched off.
2) Plugged in the USB but does not detect. Is it because it's got folders?
3) Does it have a rear fog? If so how to switch it ON?
4) Does it have cornering headlights?

Kindly help me on this.
Old 13th August 2012, 12:02   #832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrrraju View Post
Got this one since last two days. The audio system of my W6 has gone dead. I was very optimistic about this vehicle being so successful and I still do so. I am happy as far as there is no mechanical failures and I often wonder why people are so cribbing about this one. I present the case study and my analysis of the problem.[b]

But I am really pissed to travel 20KM to get it rectified. They should have some mobile workshop which can do simple things at customer premises. I think it is too much of an ask, but I don't think it is impossible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iride View Post
After waiting for it to sort itself out, I eventually took the XUV to the Dealership today after talking to the RM.

Problem:Turns out that the vehicles from the late batches - May/June, like mine - are facing issues with the door latches. Its either a design flaw or a manufacturing flaw or even a result of some "sticky" grease being used, as a result of which the unlock mechanism gets stuck/unstuck erratically. Quiet a few vehicles from these batches have faced this issue.

So, as long as you are not shy of building friendly relations through frequent visits to the Mahindra dealership / A.S.S., this vehicle is a great one!
Thanks Vrraju and iride for your detailed problem description, analysis and solution. Can you guys please provide inputs on which workshop you guys are talking about in hyderabad as well? I have booked my W8 from VVC and should be taking delivery in the next 6-8 weeks. I wanted to understand the experience with the *** for these 2 dealers so that I can decide where to plan my visits? I guess VVC has their workshop in Kondapur, not sure about AML.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
SDP, as you were saying in some early post that too many niggles might scare some of the members. And there you go, you were right.

PJagadeesh sir, I respect your decision of putting your hard earned money where you feel confident, but on the hand, look at the Germans/European cars running in our country. Do you think they are niggle free? Every car has its own share of niggles, and imho, XUV owners and Safari owners are more open in terms of sharing their issues in the open forum. Moreover, XUV is a very brave attempt by the Mahindras to leap into a niché segment of SUV's with lots of gizmos, so initial hiccups are bound to happen. Look at the Pulsars, they had their fair share of issues when they were new in the market(the ones with digital speedo and LED tails) and look how mature they have grown into.

No one is forcing anyone to be the guinea pig, but on the hand I sincerely feel there is no need to feel low about the Indian co's they are trying their best to give whats possible for the money, the customer is ready to pay for!

I'm not comparing the toyotas with mahindras/Tatas. They are different companies managed by different people and catering different markets. For example, toyotas and hondas have great access to european and american markets, where standards and norms are quite high/tough, so naturally that comes down to their products in indian market too.
Totally agree with you AlphaKilo. While I agree that the brake and clutch issues are definitely not acceptable and need to be fixed/replaced by M&M asap, I guess some folks are being too critical about the XUV. I have read of hundreds of horror stories with the Skoda's and other premium vehicles on this forum as well. M&M at least seems serious about fixing any issues and has been responsive to complaints (so far!). Some of the other manufacturers did not even seem serious about fixing these. anyways, i am hoping M&M keeps improving their QC and continues to address any issues from the existing owners.
DoneAndDusted is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2012, 13:42   #833
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
My friend, a fellow bhpian took delivery of W8 couple of days back. Few things I need help on
1) Rear aircon button on the dash not working. Pressed this couple of times and it doesnt switch on. The rear aircon is working and cannot be switched off.
Please check the rotary blower controller on the 3rd row. If that is Off, you can not switch on/off the rear-ac from the dash. By switching the blower off, the rear-aircon can be switched off. If you are saying rear-aircon is working, then the problem might be something else.

Quote:
2) Plugged in the USB but does not detect. Is it because it's got folders?
USb reading is slower with 16GB and higher capacity pen-drives. The unit can understand folder hierarchy, but reading takes lot of time if there is a elaborate directory structure. Please try with a freshly formatted pen-drive. Worked for me.

Quote:
3) Does it have a rear fog? If so how to switch it ON?
Headlight stalk has a ring for opeating the fogs. Anticlockwise for front and clockwise for rear.
BTW, the rear fog is part of the tail-light assembly and is not a separate unit.

Quote:
4) Does it have cornering headlights?
Yes. They are speed and cornering-angle sensitive.

Hope this helps

Last edited by SDP : 13th August 2012 at 13:46.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2012, 14:06   #834
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Hope this helps
Thanks for your input. The third row unit was off. I'm talking about the middle row. Will the rear aircon button on the dash be used to disable the middle row AC? I know the third row got separate units. I have a feeling that this button on the dash is to disable the middle row AC since third row got it's own dedicated controls. Correct me if I'm wrong. Tried pressing this but the button doesnt get activated.

Tried using a 4gb pen drive for 10 min. It didnt detect the pen drive. As you said, shall try formatting it.

As for the headlights, you mean to say that the projectors will change direction as we turn the steering? We tried this at stationary but the projectors didnt move.
Old 13th August 2012, 14:18   #835
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for your input. The third row unit was off. I'm talking about the middle row. Will the rear aircon button on the dash be used to disable the middle row AC? I know the third row got separate units. I have a feeling that this button on the dash is to disable the middle row AC since third row got it's own dedicated controls. Correct me if I'm wrong. Tried pressing this but the button doesnt get activated.
The front row and the 2nd row (middle row) are served by the main AC unit and the 2nd row can not be controlled independently. The rear-AC button in the dash is for the rear-ac which serves the 3rd row.

Quote:
...As for the headlights, you mean to say that the projectors will change direction as we turn the steering? We tried this at stationary but the projectors didnt move.
XUV has "static-bending" headlights.
The lights do not physically turn at all. Instead there is an additional pair of bulbs, which are angled at 45 degree and these bulbs turn on when you take a turn and provide the additional illumination. Again this mechanism is speed-sensitive, so those additional bulbs won't turn on when the vehicle is stationary. During night time, take a turn and you will immediately notice the function of the static-bending lights.

Last edited by SDP : 13th August 2012 at 14:21.
SDP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2012, 14:43   #836
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The front row and the 2nd row (middle row) are served by the main AC unit and the 2nd row can not be controlled independently. The rear-AC button in the dash is for the rear-ac which serves the 3rd row.
Oh, so the middle row cannot be controlled by this in dash switch right? I thought this is for the middle row since the third row got independent controls. They could have used this in dash switch for middle row.
Old 13th August 2012, 16:06   #837

Quote:
Oh, so the middle row cannot be controlled by this in dash switch right? I thought this is for the middle row since the third row got independent controls. They could have used this in dash switch for middle row.
As per information from a Pune M&M dealer, the rear is a separate AC and not just separate air flow ducts of main AC. So switching that on will have an impact on fuel efficiency and load on the engine. Also dealer had advised to NOT use the rear AC. Not sure why was this advise given.
Old 13th August 2012, 18:12   #838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Headlight stalk has a ring for opeating the fogs. Anticlockwise for front and clockwise for rear.
BTW, the rear fog is part of the tail-light assembly and is not a separate unit.

Yes. They are speed and cornering-angle sensitive.
Can you elaborate on the fog lamp swtiching procedure - sounds kind of stupid to me, because anti-clock wise for front, done - what if now i want my back fog to be on too(simulateneously front and back)? turning the rotary knob clockwise will switch off the front one correct? or am I missing something?

Cornering lamps: Do you have an image of the extra bulb? (P.S: I have seen the animation video in mahindra ads and the cornering lights equipped in European cars, just curious to know how it works in XUV) thanks.
Old 13th August 2012, 18:49   #839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
Can you elaborate on the fog lamp swtiching procedure - sounds kind of stupid to me, because anti-clock wise for front, done - what if now i want my back fog to be on too(simulateneously front and back)? turning the rotary knob clockwise will switch off the front one correct? or am I missing something?
As far as I know, in any car, rear fog lags will switch on only if the front fogs are on. So, maybe in case of XUV, if you switch on the rear fogs, both the front and rear fogs are illuminated.

Quote:
Cornering lamps: Do you have an image of the extra bulb? (P.S: I have seen the animation video in mahindra ads and the cornering lights equipped in European cars, just curious to know how it works in XUV) thanks.
Have a look here, I have circled the additional bulb in red -
Attached Images

raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2012, 19:42   #840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo

The ring rest at zero point. If you switch on the front fog as soon as the ring is released it comes back to it's original position. You can now turn it clockwise and it will switch on the rear fogs. If you again turn it anticlockwise it will switch off the front fog lamps.
rohitbagai is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed