Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2012, 10:40   #796

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Something very strange happened with my dad's XUV-500. As per him, driver was driving on a narrow and rough road (usual Indian road). Due to an oncoming Santro car, he slowed down, got the left wheels off the road and applied breaks. As soon as Santro crossed the XUV both him and driver heard a sound. They got down and even the Santro guy stopped as he too heard some sound.

They notcied that while there were absolutely no scratches on either XUV or Santro, the Right Rear allow wheel had cracked and some part chipped off. They once again inspected both Santro and XUV and there were no signs of brushing on either car. There are little damages on the adjoining spokes also. He immediately deflated the tire and drove back home with the spare tire. He is still clueless about what happened and why the allow wheel cracked. He says that car was extremely slow and did not hit the ground hard.

I have the only below picture of the cracked allow wheel. What do you people think would have happened? And what do you have to say about the design / material of allow wheel?

Note: After some strong email exchanges and phone calls with M&M, this was replaced with a new allow wheel, but our confidence on this car seems to be a little bit shaken now.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-xuv.jpg  

Last edited by gupsachin : 8th August 2012 at 11:04.
gupsachin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2012, 11:24   #797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki

I believe the deadline oct/nov as quoted above and in this forum is hypothetical. It can extend further too.

Our dear friend SDP has been delivered the vehicle of May make. He says, till now he has not found any issues with respect to brakes.

Also you can see from our good friend sathya's ownership report, that brake issues have not cropped up, BTW, on a lighter note, who is better than sathya can confirm the same, having driven the vehicle to its limits.

I'm going for it and hope everything works out fine.
Go for it, at some point in life one will have to take calculated risks, not necessarily that all the vehicles they roll out should have niggles, a lot depends on your luck too .
rajeshchand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2012, 19:16   #798
BHPian

I'm glad M&M replaced the Alloy. We had quite a few parts on our Punto replaced. They even replaced some parts when the ODE was reading 57,000.

The Alloy is a defective one for sure. We have never had a problem with any of the alloys on our 6 yr old Scorpio.
Old 9th August 2012, 02:14   #799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupsachin View Post
They notcied that while there were absolutely no scratches on either XUV or Santro, the Right Rear allow wheel had cracked and some part chipped off.
Yup, they should replace the alloy under warranty. And my dealer was quoting Rs 11620.00 (per wheel) for these regular alloys (comes with W8)!! I guess, I will look out for something outside in the market.
Old 9th August 2012, 07:33   #800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshchand View Post
Go for it, at some point in life one will have to take calculated risks, not necessarily that all the vehicles they roll out should have niggles, a lot depends on your luck too .
At a 15-16L pricepoint, feel calculated risks are really not worth the taking.
Only if you have a lot of extra moolah lying in the cupboards.
As said before - Wait for the coy to sort out the issues and then take the plunge, maybe you will have less of regrets/heartburn later on after the honeymoon period with the car is over.
....and when is that...4-6 months of ownership
or 20-30,000 kms on the odometer.
Then the true colors come out.
princey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2012, 07:41   #801
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Regardless of price point, one expects the manufacturer to have taken care of all the necessary testing before unleashing a product on the un-suspecting consumer.
The XUV is a good concept and offers a perfect VFM option to the SUV mad, bling crazy and feature hungry Indian consumer. It is known that Indian consumers typically like to seek extreme value and if possible, prefer to get something for nothing.
However, in their urge to provide lots of fiddlies and bling etc at a nice price, it appears that M&M have lost sight of quality somewhere.
They are an ethical company and I like them overall, but I would NOT buy the XUV because it is as of now, in the present avatar, very much a hit or miss situation! I would wait for atleast 2 or 3 generations of XUV's to be out in the market - which means at least another 2 years if I were to consider it at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princey View Post
As said before - Wait for the coy to sort out the issues and then take the plunge, maybe you will have less of regrets/heartburn later on after the honeymoon period with the car is over.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2012, 08:17   #802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anm View Post
hey - does he say that parts of your vehicle will be replaced then? Is it wiser to wait till November, or one can buy right away and hope the issue to be solved in nov?
That’s what he said. They will replace few components. And of course based on your complaints and will not do it for all vehicles proactively. So i would suggest open a job card for your car and dont let them close it witout fixing the issue.

Quote:
If you are completely aware of what you are buying there is no heart burn. I don’t hate XUV as a car, since i know about the niggles, I treat them as part of the cars personality now, but start hating M&M for not living up to my expectations as a responsible indian company. they are way too slow on responding to technical issues and always forward your complaints to the dealer and never follow up on what is happening. They dont even track the job card closure from their side and leave it upto the dealer. I offered them to visit showroom when M&M engineers have their routine visit to the workshop to explain them the design issues, not seemed to be interested in user input.

I am sure there will be many customers like me who will start thinking the same way. There is something called NPS (Net Promoter Score: Bain & Company: Net Promoter® System - Measuring your Net Promoter Score ) score for companies to know how they are rated by its present customers to understand the business strategies and customer relations are in positive trend. If M&M would have been having an NPS, I feel they would have been on the decline in my opinion. This may challenge my decision to buy another product from them in the future.

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 9th August 2012 at 08:26.
Old 9th August 2012, 12:41   #803
BHPian

Quote:
In that case this is going to be a long long wait as the niggles that is being reported here for XUV are those niggles which even i had experienced in Scorpio way back in 2005, so one got to live with them if you want to drive a all feature packed XUV at a price tag of 15 L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
I am sure there will be many customers like me who will start thinking the same way. There is something called NPS (Net Promoter Score: Bain & Company: Net Promoter® System - Measuring your Net Promoter Score ) score for companies to know how they are rated by its present customers to understand the business strategies and customer relations are in positive trend. If M&M would have been having an NPS, I feel they would have been on the decline in my opinion. This may challenge my decision to buy another product from them in the future.
After having driven Scorpio for 5 years i have already taken the decision of not buying a Mahindra product even though i was in awe of the design and looks of XUV, but deep inside me i was sure not to buy it.
Old 9th August 2012, 15:10   #804
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
...If you are completely aware of what you are buying there is no heart burn. I don’t hate XUV as a car, since i know about the niggles, I treat them as part of the cars personality now,....
Precisely.

I like your singanture as well:
"Anything in physical world cannot be perfect. That includes, you, me and our cars."

I was a perfectionist for a significant part of my life. Then I realized that in the current world of exponentially increasing complexity, being a perfectionist doesn't get you anywhere.

You can get a analog watch for as little as 100Rs. You can get a decent Titan for 3-4 thousands or a Fossil for 10-12K or a Omega for a few tens of thousands. There are watches which lose less than a second in 25 years and there are people who are ready to pay for that kind of accuracy and perfection.

Similarly there are 'perfect' SUVs (with zero issues) in the 25Lakhs+ range in the Indian market. If you insist on perfection and are willing to pay for it, there are enough dealerships (from Japanese and European car manufacturers) which cater to your demand.

Its finally a matter of what can you live with and how much are you willing to pay for it. The answer is different for each one of us.

PS: Too much of philosophy for one day. Bye.

Last edited by SDP : 9th August 2012 at 15:17.
Old 9th August 2012, 16:18   #805
Senior - BHPian

@gupsachin, the alloy wheels cracking is a very dangerous, and yours is not the only XUV which has had this problem. I know atleast one owner who is known to me has had this problem on his XUV. They replaced the Alloy under warranty but he is now slightly scared of pushing the car too fast on the highways as this can lead to some serious accidents.

To top it all, his was on smooth city roads with City speeds.
Old 9th August 2012, 16:57   #806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Precisely.

I like your singanture as well:
"Anything in physical world cannot be perfect. That includes, you, me and our cars."
Sorry for OT, but it has really influenced my purchase decision of XUV so quoting here:

There is a long story behind that signature. Even a minute scratch on my car underbody used to drive me crazy for 2 - 3 days. I just can’t think anything else other than that microscopic mark on my car for few days. It used to haunt me until I get another one

It started affecting my personal and professional life in a negative way. Once I told this to my manager in one 1x1 discussions and he just laughed out and said. Look at anything around you and tell me what is 100% perfect, the day you got your car it must be having at least 100 imperfections (that time XUV was not released, otherwise he would have added another 0 to the end of it by looking at the hours I am spending at workshop pampering it). And the next sentence from him stuck at my mind like a dart. The moment anything become 100% perfect it will be out of physical world, so better don’t try to make your car 100% perfect.

So just as a reminder for my craziness, I added that to my signature. Well it really helped in my professional life as well. I don’t delay a code delivery for 2 days to find the last bug in it anymore. Better history of job done on time and some happiness for the test folks Overall my perfectionist mentality subidised a lot and I have become an XUV owner afterwards. Overall I am an happier person then on.

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 9th August 2012 at 17:04.
HotChillyPepper is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2012, 16:58   #807
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshchand View Post
In that case this is going to be a long long wait as the niggles that is being reported here for XUV are those niggles which even i had experienced in Scorpio way back in 2005, so one got to live with them if you want to drive a all feature packed XUV at a price tag of 15 L.
Sir, we are assuming that M&M has not learnt anything in last 8 years since year 2005.

Your question is valid in terms of why 'similar' issues that were faced during initial period of Scorpio. Most likely the answer is: these are teething problems with the new assembly line and new supply-chain (new vendors, new specs etc).

If M&M is actually cutting corners in terms of part quality and overall QC, they would eventually pay a price in terms of losing the credentials in the market (something that they have really worked hard for over the last decade or so).
Old 9th August 2012, 19:35   #808
BHPian

I just don't know why Indian companies have not caught up to the Japanese and the Koreans. I still remember how trouble ridden our HM Ambassador was. The car would literally have a problem coming back from the showroom/mechanic shed. No wonder we all couldn't have enough of Suzuki back in the days.

It continued with the Contessa, Padmini 138D and the Estate. And then the Lancer took the market by storm (it didn't last though as the Octavia quickly made them close shop).

Looking back, none of our cars could really cater to our market. Indica came pretty close though. XUV does have a chance. However M&M took ages to get the Scorpio right, but even then you have customers complaining of niggles.
Old 10th August 2012, 02:19   #809
anm
BHPian

Hi - please share email/ phone numbers (maybe in PM) of who to run to when the dealer/ a.s.s. is not listening?
Old 10th August 2012, 11:45   #810
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
If you insist on perfection and are willing to pay for it, there are enough dealerships (from Japanese and European car manufacturers) which cater to your demand.

Its finally a matter of what can you live with and how much are you willing to pay for it. The answer is different for each one of us.
Let me retract that statement partially. Looks like even the Europeans struggle to give the peace-of-mind ownership experience for their offerings even in the 20+ Lakh price range.

Here's a new thread I spotted today and looking at the number of thanks to the opening post, looks like a lot of people agree.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...opean-car.html

Quoting part of the opening post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
This thread is to help prospective buyers of Skoda minimize problems while owning a Skoda car. They are intended to help buyers increase reliability of their car and have a better ownership experience. These steps should help increase reliability of all cars (especially the other German ones)....
4. The adage “Less is More” is very apt for Skodas/ VW if you do not want to be a part of the VW Group’s Global R&D wing. Simply put, avoid the DSG’s and the L&K variants. Stick to manual gearboxes and at max the Elegance trim.
Another interesting thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rman-cars.html

Last edited by SDP : 10th August 2012 at 11:52.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks