Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2012, 21:00   #766
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

So after about 2.5 weeks of ownership and hoping against hope that no niggles would surface, I came across my first on Thursday. The rear right door would not open from the outside or the inside. No, not a child lock issue (though I had fiddled around with it earlier in the day, but left it unlocked at the end). Then mysteriously, the problem went away after a few auto lock/unlock cycles. So, I assumed it must have been a quirky thing that happens when you simultaneously try to open the door by pulling the handle and use the unlock button on the key fob too!

Am headed to the workshop tomorrow for a quick check... its more than an inconvenience... hoping it really minor.

Anybody had similar issues?
I know some people had issues with the door closure... anybody with opening issues?
Old 5th August 2012, 23:44   #767
BHPian

Hi
I have just been back from a 1500 km trip from ludhiana to jaipur. Mine is a july manufactured XUV5OO and i was really hoping for a niggle free ride . Although the car has a lot of things going for it, there are some of the things i am listing below, that really surprised me because the ODO reads just 1900 kms!

1. Upon braking to a halt (whether sudden or gradual), using engine braking in the process, the brakes a very much audible "thud/grind" when the car is just about to halt from the speed range of 30-0 kmph. I was driving at 80 kmph or so when i had to come to a gradual halt to 0. There was no problem with braking till about 30 kmph, but when i am about to fully stop the car, the brakes make a very weird loud sound(it is not screeching, although the brakes screech randomly as discussed in point number 2) like something is preventing the braking action, and because of that if i need to do a emergency stop , i know the brakes wont be very effective(sad). But on the other hand if at the same speed 80 kmph I engage the clutch to neutral and then bring the car to a halt, then there is no braking noise or thud which seems like it is preventing braking action and the brakesare then confidence inspiring. Is anyone getting the same problem too? This same brake grinding issue was there when i got delivery of my car, but it is more pronounced now.

2. In the last 100 kms, there is random screeching sound coming from the front brakes, and this is very irritating and distracting for me, because every time i press the brakes, i strain my ears to hear the sound.

3. The front passenger door window makes a rattling noise when the window is 8/10th of the way down and the car is travelling. Havent got a chance to check the other 4 windows yet.

I am very apalled at the 1st two points, because its just been < 2k kms, and the brakes are misbehaving and unreliable. I have zero confidence in bringing the car to a sudden halt, because the braking action is very sloppy and noisy at the halting speeds. Having owned hondas and chevys and marutis all my life, i have never heard any braking noise ever when bringing the car to only a gradual halt! Only the esteem made a screeching noise sometimes when braking, otherwise there have been no probs with the brakes in any of my cars.

Can someone confirm the same issues in their car, esp. the Bhpians who got delivery after april and how to resolve them. I know there have been instances of brakes screeching and it is fixable by a.s.s, but the 1st problem is really deal breaker if it is not solved. All in all i am in love with the car, and my respect for M&M has grown manifolds. Even my dad says M&M is truly a world power now , and he has high standards. The only icing needed on the cake- the brakes solution.

Last edited by abhinavinc : 5th August 2012 at 23:59. Reason: More info
Old 6th August 2012, 10:15   #768
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavinc View Post
1. Upon braking to a halt (whether sudden or gradual), using engine braking in the process, the brakes a very much audible "thud/grind" when the car is just about to halt from the speed range of 30-0 kmph.
2. In the last 100 kms, there is random screeching sound coming from the front brakes, and this is very irritating and distracting for me, because every time i press the brakes, i strain my ears to hear the sound.

3. The front passenger door window makes a rattling noise when the window is 8/10th of the way down and the car is traveling. Havent got a chance to check the other 4 windows yet.
Hi Abhinav - Get your brakes checked by the A.S.S. I think that "thud" i due to the "brake spring" in the release assembly. Anyway, the Whole assembly is changed upon request under warranty(free of cost).

Request them to check the "window rocker arm" mechanism. I think it might just need to be tightened a little. Worst case, your window roll-up assemble (Mechanical part) would have to to be replaced under warranty.

- I really wish these things are checked upfront in the factory to give the 1.5 million rupee customer the peace of mind
Old 6th August 2012, 11:51   #769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Hi Abhinav - Get your brakes checked by the A.S.S. I think that "thud" i due to the "brake spring" in the release assembly. Anyway, the Whole assembly is changed upon request under warranty(free of cost).

Request them to check the "window rocker arm" mechanism. I think it might just need to be tightened a little. Worst case, your window roll-up assemble (Mechanical part) would have to to be replaced under warranty.

- I really wish these things are checked upfront in the factory to give the 1.5 million rupee customer the peace of mind
Hi bharath
When i booked the car in june, i specially asked the RM if the brake issue had been resolved, to which he said yes there will be no sound when braking whatsoever and M&M had resolved the issue of braking long ago with a new design. Obviously that is not a fact.
Im very happy otherwise with the car and will go to the a.s.s soon to get the brake/pad rectified and keep this thread updated.
thnx
Old 6th August 2012, 13:20   #770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
Here is what my version numbers after the IS replacement:
This is what i got..

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-wp_000100.jpg

Last edited by Tushargohil : 6th August 2012 at 13:22.
Old 6th August 2012, 15:28   #771
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavinc View Post
Hi bharath
When i booked the car in june, i specially asked the RM if the brake issue had been resolved, to which he said yes there will be no sound when braking whatsoever and M&M had resolved the issue of braking long ago with a new design. Obviously that is not a fact.
Im very happy otherwise with the car and will go to the a.s.s soon to get the brake/pad rectified and keep this thread updated.
thnx
Oh Really !! This is news to me. I was'nt aware that brake design has changed. Honestly, Both look same to me (checked with A.S.S Also) and they too confirm that its the same brake assembly. If the brake sqeaks, they replace the brake lining and clean & lubricate the whole brake assembly on the wheel. Even if this does not work out, the merely "replace" the unit under warranty.

Other XUV Owners - can sonyone confirm this please - Is the brake assemble in say post June 2012 models different from Pre-June 2012 models?
Old 6th August 2012, 16:04   #772
BHPian

Hi All
I had taken a test drive of the XUV for approx 30-40 Kms. THe vehicle had done 13000 Kms on the ODO. I went upto 140 and braked suddenly for the ABS to engage. Also braked at lower speeds (I had gone through most of this thread before taking the TD). and did a lot of stuff in this TD to test the persistant isues. I actually pushed the vehicle to the limit.
I felt i would come out of the TD really disappointed. But to my surprise I did not feel any grinding of the brakes. the Clutch was really smooth to me (I could compare it to a rapid clutch).

Below are a few issues i saw
1. There were a few rattles on the windows.
2. After I went over a REALLY big Hump @ 60KMPH+ the door open sign started Beeping. The sales Guy had to open the Bonnet and close it for the sound to go.
3. If i left the steering the vehicle would go in a straight line. But by the end of the drive my right arm started hurting which means there is some allignment issue that I was manually correcting while driving

But overall looks like that TD vehicle had most of its mechanicals sorted out. This leads me to believe that now, after 8-9 months of the release of the vehicle launch, the XUV is a vehicle that has all its mechanicals sorted out. What do you guys (The actual owners) think about this observation.

I am thinking of buying the XUV but still in the early stages of decision making

Last edited by gandalf : 6th August 2012 at 16:17. Reason: Spelling errors
gandalf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2012, 16:39   #773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneAndDusted View Post
hmm.. i have had this thought cross my mind a few times as well. However, I am somehow in love this vehicle as well. the engine, the road presence etc, are difficult to match. Also, I have not seen many complaints from folks who took delivery after May/June and also see that M&M has been responsive to issues and is making improvement. I think I am going to place my faith and hold on unless I hear other horror stories. Hoping for the best
I wish for the best.

I have actually faced FIAT's service horrors until recently before they changed the following parts under warranty.

1. Steering Assembly due to rattling noise.
2. AC Evaporator Coil
3. AC Pipe (Had a hole and i had to really fight it out with FIAT Pune to replace it). The part was going cost us Rs. 17,000, so i'm glad they (Pune) listened.

The car was in the service center for almost 3 weeks and we actually booked the XUV just a week earlier so i really didn't want to through this again with the XUV. I really came close to selling the Punto and after they replaced the above parts, we haven't had a problem since.

In my opinion, the XUV is loaded with features that are bound to fail. They should've put more effort into quality rather than features. That's one reason why T-Fort is a rock. Just wish Honda had a Diesel powered CRV.

If i'm a prospective buyer and i'm given a choice between the i20 and the Punto, i will walk away with the i20. They're just more practical for our market. That's one reason why i can't wait for Lexus to open shop next year.
krreddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2012, 19:19   #774
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by krreddy View Post
In my opinion, the XUV is loaded with features that are bound to fail. ...
Actually none of the features are failing currently (going by my own experience + Zappo + Ketan + Sathya + few others who got their vehicles in last 2 months).

Cruise-Control - Works
Touch-Screen infotainment system - Works
Bluesense Technology - Works
GPS navigation - Works
Hill Hold Control - Works
Hill Descent Control - Works
Static Bending Lights - Works
Auto Headlights - Work
Take me home and lead me to vehicle lights - Work
Lounge lighting, puddle lights, turn-indicators on ORVM - Work
One-touch down driver side window - Works
Rain sensing wipers - Work
ABS & ESP - Work
Tyre Pressure Monitoring System - Works
Central locking and security system - Works
Start-Stop feature - Works
ACC and Rear AC - Works
Steering mounted controls - Work

Brakes is the area where people seem to have concerns, and brakes hardly qualify as a feature

On a serious note, even with the brakes, we have yet to see a complaint where somebody has mentioned that brakes did not work. There are grinding noises from the brakes for some folks and that is the concern with the brakes.

I believe you have already cancelled your XUV booking. A wise decision indeed, given your intolerance to Mahindra's QC and A.S.S. issues. Wish you all the best for the Lexus!
OT : I did not know Lexus is coming to India next year. Thanks for sharing that.

Last edited by SDP : 6th August 2012 at 19:31.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2012, 19:43   #775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
I believe you have already cancelled your XUV booking. A wise decision indeed, given your intolerance to Mahindra's QC and A.S.S. issues.
It is high time M&M realised that selling a 15 lakh vehicle is not an easy task, gaining popularity is one thing, maintaining it is a difficult task if they don't sort out the issues that have plagued their Scorpio all these years, i was an ardent fan of Scorpio minus all its niggles however i just could not make up my mind to buy another M&M vehicle when the time came for buying a new vehicle and i doubt i would again take that route and get tested on patience on a daily basis.
Old 7th August 2012, 00:28   #776
BHPian

My front right power window has stopped working (May 12
mfg- 21 Jun delivery )

Will go to the workshop in morning to figure out what's wrong

Has any one else faced such an issue?
Old 7th August 2012, 00:48   #777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneAndDusted View Post
hmm.. i have had this thought cross my mind a few times as well. However, I am somehow in love this vehicle as well. the engine, the road presence etc, are difficult to match. Also, I have not seen many complaints from folks who took delivery after May/June and also see that M&M has been responsive to issues and is making improvement. I think I am going to place my faith and hold on unless I hear other horror stories. Hoping for the best
Mine is a july manufactured vehicle and i have covered 2k kms till now.
As i mentioned here earlier i have some niggles. The brake grinding and screeching issue is still there, and it has increased after my recent trip to jaipur . Also passenger door window rattle issue has cropped up. Otherwise nothing else till now. Hope the brake issue will be sorted out in the future. Also the ICE system hanged once when i was using the nav system on the highway and then the screen content wouldn't change, although the nav screen was updating the live position. On pressing home, music, radio etc nothing happened and the nav screen would not go away, so i was stuck there. Also the steering mounted audio controls were working perfect at the same time. A simple restart of the car solved the issue.
I just hope no new issue crops up. All electronics/gizmos are working perfect otherwise except the system hanging once and i am very very happy with the car till yet.
abhinavinc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2012, 01:30   #778
anm
BHPian

guys, I have booked the car. Just had a shiver while reading braking/ clutch issues.
Hope the delivery happens soon and there are no niggles
Do I have to take the car to same dealer everytime or can I get the issues addressed at any service center?
Old 7th August 2012, 06:56   #779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anm View Post
guys, I have booked the car. Just had a shiver while reading braking/ clutch issues.
Hope the delivery happens soon and there are no niggles
Do I have to take the car to same dealer everytime or can I get the issues addressed at any service center?
For the warranty period, I wouldn't want to take my car any place else. And especially for vehicles like M&M, FIAT & Tata, i would book the car at the dealer closest to the house/office.
krreddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2012, 10:27   #780
anm
BHPian

unfortunately, mine got booked at a dealer very far away for complex reasons of buying through office.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks