Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2012, 10:32   #781
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Oh Really !! This is news to me. I was'nt aware that brake design has changed. Honestly, Both look same to me (checked with A.S.S Also) and they too confirm that its the same brake assembly. If the brake sqeaks, they replace the brake lining and clean & lubricate the whole brake assembly on the wheel. Even if this does not work out, the merely "replace" the unit under warranty.

Other XUV Owners - can sonyone confirm this please - Is the brake assemble in say post June 2012 models different from Pre-June 2012 models?
Brake screeching noise is not fixed even in the cars coming out right now. It is there in my car (April manufactured) and it is there in my friends car (June manufactured). the noise will appear once the brake pads and rotor gets heated up. As per my RM the solution for brake would be a combination of changes in brake pads/ rotors and suspension and expected to be out in oct end.

Another niggle i have is the steering vibration while releasing clutch. this is present in my car from day one and I believe it is there in all cars. I wouldn't expect this behavior in a car equipped with dual mass flywheel.

Infotainment is still a point of concern as it will not display all folders and files everytime I switch on the car. 50% of the time it displays all folders and files, so I cant accept it to be a design limitation. Sometimes the song get stuck at the middle while playing from USB and the only solution as of now is stop the car, remove the key, wait for 30 secs and switch on and try my luck. As per RM this is a temporary solution and Nippon working on software fix.

Other than the above a very strong squeaking noise from driver seat and cracking sounds from different locations ,especially while running on irregular surface that can cause body shell flexing (B pillar, back right door mainly).

In my 3 months ownership, I have visited workshop for 11 times for different problems, updated software 3 times, changed infotainment hardware once.

Will be dropping the car for 1st service next Monday and see what they will do with it. For me, brake noise, Steering vibration are major concerns as of now.

-HCP

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 7th August 2012 at 10:35.
Old 7th August 2012, 11:36   #782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhavdalal
My front right power window has stopped working (May 12
mfg: 21 Jun 12 delivery )

Will go to the workshop in morning to figure out what's wrong
Sorted out within an hour
Winder replaced (foc)
vaibhavdalal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2012, 14:17   #783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Actually none of the features are failing currently (going by my own experience + Zappo + Ketan + Sathya + few others who got their vehicles in last 2 months).

On a serious note, even with the brakes, we have yet to see a complaint where somebody has mentioned that brakes did not work. There are grinding noises from the brakes for some folks and that is the concern with the brakes.
Thanks SDP! Comments and views from folks like you, have helped me keep my faith in the XUV. Based on my test drive and comparison of other vehicles in and around this price point, I feel XUV is a great product, albeit with a few niggles. As long as these stay as niggles and don't end up as show stoppers, I figure I can live with them. Hope M&M reposes by faith by providing me a glitch free ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post

In my 3 months ownership, I have visited workshop for 11 times for different problems, updated software 3 times, changed infotainment hardware once.

Will be dropping the car for 1st service next Monday and see what they will do with it. For me, brake noise, Steering vibration are major concerns as of now.

-HCP
Thats a lot of visits to the workshop. Based on what you have gone through, are you satisfied with the XUV and would you recommend it? I know i keep asking this question often, but then I don't want to end up ruiing my decision to stick with the XUV as in all probability it is going to be my ride for the next 6-7 years.

Mods, sorry for the repeated posts. I did not see this post until i submitted mine.

Last edited by moralfibre : 8th August 2012 at 07:37. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use EDIT / Multi-quote options.
DoneAndDusted is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2012, 19:02   #784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneAndDusted View Post
Thanks SDP! Comments and views from folks like you, have helped me keep my faith in the XUV. Based on my test drive and comparison of other vehicles in and around this price point, I feel XUV is a great product, albeit with a few niggles. As long as these stay as niggles and don't end up as show stoppers, I figure I can live with them.
After spending 15L you are ready to live with them

I cannot get up in the morning and pray to GOD before starting the vehicle, i already have enough for him to do every day for me he already has given me the money to buy this vehicle, so it is for M&M to give me a pleasurable ride, else i look somewhere else.
Old 7th August 2012, 19:39   #785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneAndDusted View Post
Thats a lot of visits to the workshop. Based on what you have gone through, are you satisfied with the XUV and would you recommend it? I know i keep asking this question often, but then I don't want to end up ruiing my decision to stick with the XUV as in all probability it is going to be my ride for the next 6-7 years.

Mods, sorry for the repeated posts. I did not see this post until i submitted mine.
This question is getting very interesting to me day by day. I been asked this questions by almost everyone who knows that I own an XUV in my friends circle.

The way I answer this question now is simple "If not XUV, what options do you have in same price bracket ? ". Most of the folks think for few seconds and would answer " I am going for XUV"

When i bought the car I was completely aware of all niggles, thanks to TBHP for that. Knowing all of them, I still went ahead and purchased it. The reason was simple: it didn't have a competition. i think that remains same even today.

But honestly all the niggles I faced are still not making me hate this car. After all it offered me some good friends in M&M workshop, who cares to listen to my complaints and honestly making an attempt to fix my issues.

having said that, XUV is no more a cheap car. i paid 16.2 lakhs on road in Bangalore. M&M should understand that and at least provide a timeline on when they will be fixing the issues. Last time when I received an SMS from M&M stating check with your workshop before outstation trip and make sure the car is equipped for long trips, I was pretty happy thinking that was a nice way of recalling the car to fix at least the urgent manufacturing issues like brake issue. But when checked with RM, i came to know that its just a routine checkup and body wash and nothing more than that. Sad.

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 7th August 2012 at 19:50.
HotChillyPepper is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2012, 19:45   #786
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshchand

After spending 15L you are ready to live with them

I cannot get up in the morning and pray to GOD before starting the vehicle, i already have enough for him to do every day for me he already has given me the money to buy this vehicle, so it is for M&M to give me a pleasurable ride, else i look somewhere else.
I am actually in the market for a new car. Started looking for a sedan for 10 - 12 L. I really looked at the xuv and feel that is is the best Option for 15 L. hence seeing if I can stretch my budget. I don't think there is a better vehicle given the price.
Buying a vehicle is always a compromise. Given the price range I feel this vehicle gives you all you could ask for with a few issues. I you go for the tried and tested issue free vehicles in this price range you would compromise on either the drive or the comfort or the features. All in all, after reading this entire thread, taking the test drive, reading ownership reviews and talking to my accountant (my dad) I feel that if you are in the market for 10L - 15L car the XUV is the best option in my opinion
gandalf is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2012, 21:54   #787
PGA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper

This question is getting very interesting to me day by day.
One more reason which lets me live with the niggles:-

Total Kms done till date 5385
Total refuelling 330 ltrs
Miles to go before empty 116

Mileage 16.66 kpl
PGA is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2012, 22:44   #788
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
...The way I answer this question now is simple "If not XUV, what options do you have in same price bracket ? ". Most of the folks think for few seconds and would answer " I am going for XUV"

When i bought the car I was completely aware of all niggles, thanks to TBHP for that. Knowing all of them, I still went ahead and purchased it. The reason was simple: it didn't have a competition. i think that remains same even today.

But honestly all the niggles I faced are still not making me hate this car. After all it offered me some good friends in M&M workshop, who cares to listen to my complaints and honestly making an attempt to fix my issues.
Very well put! I echo the feeling, but I could not have possibly articulated it so well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf View Post
Buying a vehicle is always a compromise. Given the price range I feel this vehicle gives you all you could ask for with a few issues. I you go for the tried and tested issue free vehicles in this price range you would compromise on either the drive or the comfort or the features. ...
Bang on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA View Post

Mileage 16.66 kpl
Wow! That's some amazing mileage. What's the mix of highway v/s city ..75-25?
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2012, 22:48   #789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Actually none of the features are failing currently (going by my own experience + Zappo + Ketan + Sathya + few others who got their vehicles in last 2 months).

On a serious note, even with the brakes, we have yet to see a complaint where somebody has mentioned that brakes did not work.
Quote:

The way I answer this question now is simple "If not XUV, what options do you have in same price bracket ? ". Most of the folks think for few seconds and would answer " I am going for XUV"
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf View Post
Buying a vehicle is always a compromise. Given the price range I feel this vehicle gives you all you could ask for with a few issues. I you go for the tried and tested issue free vehicles in this price range you would compromise on either the drive or the comfort or the features. All in all, after reading this entire thread, taking the test drive, reading ownership reviews and talking to my accountant (my dad) I feel that if you are in the market for 10L - 15L car the XUV is the best option in my opinion
Quote:

Mileage 16.66 kpl
Thanks, Guys. Reading your opinion is really heartining to guys like me who are waiting for the delivery of W8.

Sometimes I feel whole world is out there, just to find niggles in XUV .

Last edited by Vasuki : 7th August 2012 at 22:50.
Vasuki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2012, 22:52   #790
BHPian

Quote:

Mileage 16.66 kpl
Wow.. That is some great mileage reported. I m constantly getting 11 kmpl inside Bangalore city. Most of my drives are confined to 1st to 3rd gear as I commute through some busiest part of the city. My last highway stretch returned 14 kmpl which I feel is a great mileage for a car of this size and weight.
HotChillyPepper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2012, 23:08   #791
PGA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP

Wow! That's some amazing mileage. What's the mix of highway v/s city ..75-25?
Highway drive 85%

Driving speed maintained around 90-95km. But difficult to keep ego under control when Figo's & swift 's try to overtake, so occasional burst of 120- 140.

Extensive use of cruise control.
PGA is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2012, 23:23   #792
BHPian

That's excellent mileage! Honestly I think Mahindra has done a fantastic job getting this vehicle to market, they have issues but its not all doom and gloom.

Leaving value aside for the second, most of the reports talk about the excellent support levels and a sincere willingness to go to lengths to resolve all issues and have happy customers, and there are number of long distance travel reports to Leh and other places without issues.

So its not that the vehicle is unreliable, it has teeing issues and ideally they should not be there but this is Mahindra and I think most are willing to give them some leeway, and thanks to threads like this folks can make informed decisions.

Mahindra has built a strong platform on which to improve and grow. How many SUVs can effortlessly cruise at 150kph and touch higher speeds without nervousness. If Mahindra had resisted the desire to over design it, we would have a beautiful car, as good as any other SUV globally.

Coming to price you get a fast, powerful, spacious, safe, stable and feature rich vehicle for significantly less than any competing product. Its priced ok, I think 15-16 lakhs is actually high for the W8 but given the current inflationary pricing in the India auto market, its offers stupendous value.

Last edited by raul : 7th August 2012 at 23:49.
raul is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2012, 00:50   #793
anm
BHPian

Quote:
As per my RM the solution for brake would be a combination of changes in brake pads/ rotors and suspension and expected to be out in oct end.

-HCP
hey - does he say that parts of your vehicle will be replaced then? Is it wiser to wait till November, or one can buy right away and hope the issue to be solved in nov?
Old 8th August 2012, 08:43   #794
BHPian

My two bits...
YES, the XUV is the best SUV at this price point. Great looks, Road Presence, Torquey Engine, Excellent Pickup, Effective HVAC, Interior Space and Adequate Driving Comfort.
BUT....Quirky Electricals/Electronics, Brakes(screeching), Gearshift(notchy)and Clutch(failures) mar the overall experience, not to mention the cheap quality of Headlights (Glass and DLRS) and Wipers/Windshield (scratching).
AND....There appears no alternative providing so much for so less at the moment.
PERHAPS....Wait till 2013 when all issues have been sorted out.
Old 8th August 2012, 09:14   #795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anm View Post
hey - does he say that parts of your vehicle will be replaced then? Is it wiser to wait till November, or one can buy right away and hope the issue to be solved in nov?
Quote:
Originally Posted by princey View Post
AND....There appears no alternative providing so much for so less at the moment.
PERHAPS....Wait till 2013 when all issues have been sorted out.

I believe the deadline oct/nov as quoted above and in this forum is hypothetical. It can extend further too.

Our dear friend SDP has been delivered the vehicle of May make. He says, till now he has not found any issues with respect to brakes.

Also you can see from our good friend sathya's ownership report, that brake issues have not cropped up, BTW, on a lighter note, who is better than sathya can confirm the same, having driven the vehicle to its limits.

I'm going for it and hope everything works out fine.
Vasuki is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks