Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2012, 18:37   #736
SDP
Team-BHP Support

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA View Post
A boring read but a must. The effort put in going over the manual comes in handy when struck in a tight situation with your car.

Keep it for ready reference for initial couple of weeks if one wants to exploit full potential of the car.
In this age of technology, Mahindras can actually look at having a video version of the user manual which can easily be played on the infotainment system itself.
Old 3rd August 2012, 00:07   #737

Hey Fellas, Just wanted to update.

Had some refund to collect from the dealer, and he was delaying it every week. Finally wrote a long complaint mail to customer service about the dealer (Bhasin Motors, Mathura Road, New Delhi), and also about the issue with the car. Next day got a call from my RM who was seeking to fix everything asap (although most of the issues I think are not corrective at his end). Today finally got the payment also. Kudos to the stinker mail which did what pleading could not do in 2 months.

Reply's after each point
Quote:
Originally Posted by princey View Post
Are any other XUV owners facing the other commonly identified niggles like-
1.Notchy gearshift-1st and 2nd gear engaging difficulty-Face it regularly. The shift is getting harder day by day it seems.
2.Brakes-Grinding noise-Hard brake pedal- Braking noise has reduced considerably, or may be the roads are somewhat wet, so because of moisture noise is less.
3.Infotainment Restart- Not faced
4.Hard clutch pedal press. - Definitely
5.Scratches on windscreen due to wiper movement. - Not faced but I fear to use the wiper
6.Spherical shadows in the headlights from where the light passes through. - Guess thats a design flaw or requirement
7.Hand brake does not engage. - Not faced
Thanks.
But Alas, as I start to love the car, it gives me a tight slap and brings me back to my senses. Had got a CD specially for an abroad trip from Sat, and thought of listening it in the car (using CD player for the first time). It plays well and at the end the car likes it so much that it has refused to eject it.

What a timing Sir Ji...will ask the RM to get it done tomm itself.
Wanted to take guidance, can we approach consumer forum and ask for compensation? IF yes then what happens to the insurance and the RTO amount?

Thanks
Abhishek
Abhi83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 08:07   #738
BHPian

Thanks Abhi83
Seem to be facing similar problems involving Clutch, Gearbox and Brakes.
Is your a Feb 12 manufactured veh.
Dont know if approaching a consumer forum collectively will solve anything.
Think has to be case to case basis.
Any advice from the legal eagle's will be welcome.

Last edited by mobike008 : 3rd August 2012 at 15:23. Reason: incorrect quote tag. Please quote properly next time
Old 3rd August 2012, 08:47   #739
Senior - BHPian

Well Mahindra should go ahead and hire one sales rep for each vehicle looking at the way the vehicle has a flow of issues. Nothing against the owners but M&M will soon start getting the previous Land Rover jokes if nothing is done asap.
Old 3rd August 2012, 09:13   #740
BHPian

One more input.
This time from the mechanics gupshups
Most of the Gearbox slippages-Clutch failures-Brake noises
occur in vehs that have done more than 30,000-40,000 Kms.
Any wise owner prespective please...
Old 3rd August 2012, 09:30   #741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princey
One more input.
This time from the mechanics gupshups
Most of the Gearbox slippages-Clutch failures-Brake noises
occur in vehs that have done more than 30,000-40,000 Kms.
Any wise owner prespective please...
Not sure how many would have done that kind of mileage, its not even been one year since launch. A few maybe.

I got my clutch changed at 8400.
Old 3rd August 2012, 10:32   #742
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
Not sure how many would have done that kind of mileage, its not even been one year since launch. A few maybe.

I got my clutch changed at 8400.
We have at least 50 TBHPians who own the XUV5OO as of today. Besides anandtheleo and jeepsomeday, anybody else has faced clutch failures?
Anybody had their clutch replaced proactively (i.e. before failure)?

Trying to figure out if the problem has been limited to specific batches, specific vehicles or is broad based.

Last edited by SDP : 3rd August 2012 at 10:47.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 11:10   #743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP

We have at least 50 TBHPians who own the XUV5OO as of today. Besides anandtheleo and jeepsomeday, anybody else has faced clutch failures?

Trying to figure out if the problem has been limited to specific batches, specific vehicles or is broad based.
My clutch was changed after i asked the A** to proactively check it. During the inspection when compared to other vehicles, one a brand new vehicle and other one had run 20000 kms my clutch was really hard.

It was a hard decision for me to change a normally working clutch albeit being a little hard. I thought there is no point in not going for a warranty replacement during the warranty and repenting when warranty is over. The RM did say that there is a new design for the clutch for those with/reporting problems. Mine is a Oct 2011 mfg vehicle.

The clutch feel after the change is like day and night. Its really smooth and requires 60% of the earlier effort.
Old 3rd August 2012, 12:16   #744
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My clutch was changed after i asked the A** to proactively check it. During the inspection when compared to other vehicles, one a brand new vehicle and other one had run 20000 kms my clutch was really hard.
Mine is a Oct 2011 mfg vehicle.
Anand, thanks for the details. Oct'11 - Seems like one of the early batches.

Quote:
...The RM did say that there is a new design for the clutch for those with/reporting problems. Mine is a Oct 2011 mfg vehicle.
Any idea, from what month the new design is standard in the production batches? I am not happy with Mahindra's "wait and watch" approach in this particular issue. Do they really want the clutch to fail and endanger the lives of owners (& their family/friends) before offering a replacement? If there is a issue, admit it and correct it... rather than waiting for people to "discover" it.

Quote:
....when compared to other vehicles, one a brand new vehicle and other one had run 20000 kms my clutch was really hard.

It was a hard decision for me to change a normally working clutch albeit being a little hard. ...

The clutch feel after the change is like day and night. Its really smooth and requires 60% of the earlier effort.
Anand, here's a question difficult to answer.
Hard and soft are relative terms. Somebody who has driven a Scorpio would never complain about a clutch being hard in most of the other vehicles. So, is there a way you can describe the hardness of the clutch a bit more (so that others can verify if there clutch is as hard as yours)?

PS: I know, its a feeling and its very difficult to quantify/describe the hardness of a clutch. Possibly a comparison with the clutch hardness of other models/manufacturers might help.

Thanks Anand!

Last edited by SDP : 3rd August 2012 at 12:24.
Old 3rd August 2012, 12:31   #745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
In this age of technology, Mahindras can actually look at having a video version of the user manual which can easily be played on the infotainment system itself.
They had this for the Scorpio - a CD which has animated illustrations of all the features of the car and how they work.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 12:36   #746
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
They had this for the Scorpio - a CD which has animated illustrations of all the features of the car and how they work.
I got the CD with my Scorpio and since I got a new toy I watched it religiously.
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 13:59   #747
BHPian

Quote:
Any idea, from what month the new design is standard in the production batches?

I am not happy with Mahindra's "wait and watch" approach in this particular issue. Do they really want the clutch to fail and endanger the lives of owners (& their family/friends) before offering a replacement? If there is a issue, admit it and correct it... rather than waiting for people to "discover" it.

Anand, here's a question difficult to answer.
Hard and soft are relative terms. Somebody who has driven a Scorpio would never complain about a clutch being hard in most of the other vehicles. So, is there a way you can describe the hardness of the clutch a bit more (so that others can verify if there clutch is as hard as yours)?

PS: I know, its a feeling and its very difficult to quantify/describe the hardness of a clutch. Possibly a comparison with the clutch hardness of other models/manufacturers might help.

1) Sorry forgot to ask that, will ask them next time I go there.

2) This was my primary motivation to go for the clutch change, did not want to get stranded with a clutch failure at a crucial time. The failure seems to be sudden and without any warning.

3) The 'hardness' of the clutch was first diagnosed by the test-driver at the A** (when I went to get the clutch checked proactively), then when I tested the clutch in other XUV's in the A** (one a new yet to be PDI'd & the other had run 20,000 kms) both had relatively easy spring action compared to mine. So when I say 'hard' its relative to other XUV's only.

Also I can 'feel' the difference now after the clutch change in my vehicle. I drive a i10 apart from my XUV and they are world's apart in clutch feel and action. My suggestion to all who think there clutch is hard, please check/compare vis-a-vis another XUV.

Last edited by anandtheleo : 3rd August 2012 at 14:05.
anandtheleo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 14:15   #748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

3) The 'hardness' of the clutch was first diagnosed by the test-driver at the A** (when I went to get the clutch checked proactively), then when I tested the clutch in other XUV's in the A** (one a new yet to be PDI'd & the other had run 20,000 kms) both had relatively easy spring action compared to mine. So when I say 'hard' its relative to other XUV's only.

Also I can 'feel' the difference now after the clutch change in my vehicle. I drive a i10 apart from my XUV and they are world's apart in clutch feel and action. My suggestion to all who think there clutch is hard, please check/compare vis-a-vis another XUV.
There should be a way to measure the clutch pedal pressure, and check if it is in the recommended range or not. If not then appropriate action needs to be taken.
smsrini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 14:33   #749
BHPian

Quote:
Not quite a manual, but basic operations of the new features are in this official video:

tachobells is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 18:27   #750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP

Mine also failed as documented earlier. It's an October batch.
Apart from other niggles reported there is one more flaw. If we start the car and it's in 1st gear, the gear indicator shows it as neutral. I particularly find it annoying because it does not have the feature as in my previous car Verna, where we have to depress the clutch to start the car.
rohitbagai is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks