Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2013, 03:02   #1486
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Today while exiting office parking started hearing some scrapping sound. Immediately stopped the vehicle and checked. Found that the security alarm buzzer hanging with a broken mount and it is getting scrapped against the pulleys and belt. I somehow removed the broken part with great difficulty as there is no room for poking in hand to that area. Half of the plastic cover was already worn out due to rubbing against pulleys. Covered the exposed wiring with some tape and straightaway drove in to Sireesh workshop. They replaced the part under warranty.

I think this is the second indecent I am hearing on TBHP. Some pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-20130219_173643.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-20130219_173659.jpg  

HotChillyPepper is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 05:56   #1487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
Found that the security alarm buzzer hanging with a broken mount and it is getting scrapped against the pulleys and belt. I somehow removed the broken part with great difficulty as there is no room for poking in hand to that area. Half of the plastic cover was already worn out due to rubbing against pulleys. Covered the exposed wiring with some tape and straightaway drove in to Sireesh workshop. They replaced the part under warranty.

I think this is the second indecent I am hearing on TBHP.
Would like to know how this problem occurred. Did the mounting bracket break off or some fasteners became loose?
Old 20th February 2013, 13:31   #1488
BANNED

Quote:
One way of preventing such "indecents" is to follow a regular process of preventive maintenance of checking all nuts and bolts and an under bonnet check on a weekly basis.
Old 20th February 2013, 16:00   #1489
BHPian

Quote:

True. The first incident happened with me. Posted on this thread earlier.

The cause of the problem is still a mystery to me and the service guys. Just hope it doesnt happen again.

I thought that it was a one-off freak incident which happened with me. But i guess now Mahindra should look into this potential safety hazard.

Would also advise all XUV owners to get their sirens checked asap.

Rgds.

Ar.Naved
Enveee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 18:50   #1490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
Would like to know how this problem occurred. Did the mounting bracket break off or some fasteners became loose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
One way of preventing such "indecents" is to follow a regular process of preventive maintenance of checking all nuts and bolts and an under bonnet check on a weekly basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enveee View Post
True. The first incident happened with me. Posted

The cause of the problem is still a mystery to me and the service guys. Just hope it doesnt happen again.

I thought that it was a one-off freak incident which happened with me. But i guess now Mahindra should look into this potential safety hazard.

Would also advise all XUV owners to get their sirens checked asap.

Rgds.

Ar.Naved
The mounting bracket made up of metal has got three bolts to secure them and it didnt come loose. Indeed the mechanic attended my car had great difficulty in removing it as the accessibility is very poor (for obvious reasons) and the screws were really tight.

The place where mounting brackets are joined with the Plastic casing of the siren is having a hinges sort of arrangement which allows an up down movement of the Siren itself without moving the mount. That part of the plastic gave up for some reason caused the device come off the original position and started hitting the alternator belt and nearby pulleys. I am attaching a sample picture with markings where it was broken. I believe the breakage happened due to some other parts of the car was constantly touching the siren which made the hinges to give up after 10 K of life.

Looking at the RM response, it appeared to me that it is a regular issue. The guy who was working on the vehicle also seems to be quite used to removing and fixing that part. Also the part was readily available.

And the funny coincidence with this part was that it was made by Nippon again. I had multiple quality issues with Nippon supplied infotainment system before.

There is no need of panic, but this can be really dangerous due to one reason. The siren has got a very powerful magnet as in our normal load speakers and due to this it was pulled by itself into the rotating pulleys nearby. Initially the plastic will protect from metal to metal contact, but after a while as in my case, the plastic worn out and the magnet started touching the pulleys when I really started noticing the sound and stopped the car. (You can notice the magnet exposed in the initial pictures posted). Luckily I heard the noise because it happened in a silent multi storied parking. But on high speed freeway cruise you may not notice this and can trigger a short circuit or spark due to high friction. Around this part, all other components are plastics / rubber (Coolant tank, radiator connect pipe, Air intake to intercooler etc), a perfect recipe for a potential fire breakout.

-HCP
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-alarm.jpg  

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 20th February 2013 at 19:05.
HotChillyPepper is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 21:42   #1491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Cross posting from the XUV test drive thread.

Linky : http://www.cartoq.com/mahindra-xuv50...ke-pad-design/
Has anybody had the experience of getting their brake pads replaced with the new ones from Bosch as mentioned in this CarToq article?

Also, the article talks about retrofitting of the brake pedals for a earlier "bite". Is this happening? Are the results something to write home about? The new design seems to be better per the article.
Old 20th February 2013, 22:55   #1492
BHPian

Quote:
The place where mounting brackets are joined with the Plastic casing of the siren is having a hinges sort of arrangement which allows an up down movement of the Siren itself without moving the mount. That part of the plastic gave up for some reason caused the device come off the original position and started hitting the alternator belt and nearby pulleys. I am attaching a sample picture with markings where it was broken. I believe the breakage happened due to some other parts of the car was constantly touching the siren which made the hinges to give up after 10 K of life.

There is no need of panic, but this can be really dangerous due to one reason. The siren has got a very powerful magnet as in our normal load speakers and due to this it was pulled by itself into the rotating pulleys nearby. Initially the plastic will protect from metal to metal contact, but after a while as in my case, the plastic worn out and the magnet started touching the pulleys when I really started noticing the sound and stopped the car. (You can notice the magnet exposed in the initial pictures posted). Luckily I heard the noise because it happened in a silent multi storied parking. But on high speed freeway cruise you may not notice this and can trigger a short circuit or spark due to high friction. Around this part, all other components are plastics / rubber (Coolant tank, radiator connect pipe, Air intake to intercooler etc), a perfect recipe for a potential fire breakout.
HCP -- I very much appreciate such a detailed technical analysis of the problem. As you have rightly highlighted, this seemingly small problem could contain the seeds of a much bigger catastrophe. I am going to make it a point to examine my siren (I have to search for it first, as I have never seen it!) first thing tomorrow morning. Other XUV owners are also advised to do the same.
Old 21st February 2013, 15:57   #1493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
HCP -- I very much appreciate such a detailed technical analysis of the problem. As you have rightly highlighted, this seemingly small problem could contain the seeds of a much bigger catastrophe. I am going to make it a point to examine my siren (I have to search for it first, as I have never seen it!) first thing tomorrow morning. Other XUV owners are also advised to do the same.
Me too.. Whoever locates it, pls post some pics of the location incase it is a difficult to locate thing.

FundaG
Old 21st February 2013, 17:53   #1494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Couple of doubts on some of the features. These are not niggles.

2. KML : As per the manual, its possible to save your trip log in the navigator as KML file to be used with any Google mapping tools. But any idea on how this file can be copied to another device like laptop or mobile . Has anyone tried this?

FundaG
Well It is very evident that MapMyIndia has given us XUV owners a watered down version!!
I have been constantly after M&M for the last 9 months to show me how certain features can be used.
At this time I am not posting the issues I faced- I'm very hopeful that they will guide me. I have a meeting on the 28th!
Rgds
Gerardfdz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2013, 19:43   #1495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardfdz View Post
Well It is very evident that MapMyIndia has given us XUV owners a watered down version!!
I have been constantly after M&M for the last 9 months to show me how certain features can be used.
At this time I am not posting the issues I faced- I'm very hopeful that they will guide me. I have a meeting on the 28th!
Rgds
Hi Gerard, look forward to your feedback after your Feb 28th meeting. I had a few issues which MMI clarified after I called their call centre. But I'm sure your issues are more "high funda".
Old 21st February 2013, 20:58   #1496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Me too.. Whoever locates it, pls post some pics of the location incase it is a difficult to locate thing.

FundaG
You can locate the siren right below the coolant reservoir tank behind the RHS headlamp cluster.

Thanks
HCP
HotChillyPepper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2013, 21:33   #1497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardfdz View Post
Rgds
You should post your issues so that all of us can add to it any new ones and you can discuss them with M&M during your meeting. Maybe even prepare a new manual with this new information.

FundaG
Old 22nd February 2013, 12:45   #1498
BHPian

Quote:
You can locate the siren right below the coolant reservoir tank behind the RHS headlamp cluster.

Thanks
HCP
Guys, please refer to my post #1387 in this thread which shows the exact location of the hooter mount in the picture.

Rgds.....
Old 22nd February 2013, 15:12   #1499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enveee View Post
XUV HOOTER BREAK-OFF

After a 400 kilometer journey from my home place indore to bhopal and back, i heard some loud scraping sound coming from the engine bay. I opened the bonnet only to find that the sound was coming from the power steering belt, into which the hooter (for security system) has somehow broken off and fallen!!! It was stuck in the power steering belt and was being sawed off by it slowly. I immediately took the vehicle to the service center which luckily is very near to my home. They removed the engine cover and with much difficulty, pulled out the hooter.
Quote:
Today while exiting office parking started hearing some scrapping sound. Immediately stopped the vehicle and checked. Found that the security alarm buzzer hanging with a broken mount and it is getting scrapped against the pulleys and belt. I somehow removed the broken part with great difficulty as there is no room for poking in hand to that area. Half of the plastic cover was already worn out due to rubbing against pulleys. Covered the exposed wiring with some tape and straightaway drove in to Sireesh workshop. They replaced the part under warranty.
Quote:
Looking at the RM response, it appeared to me that it is a regular issue. The guy who was working on the vehicle also seems to be quite used to removing and fixing that part. Also the part was readily available.
I spoke to the RM and Service Manager of my ASC here at Jamshedpur and learnt that :
  1. They have come across a couple of such incidents (siren coming off and rubbing against belt) here.
  2. M&M have redesigned the mounting bracket of the siren. My ASC have the modified bracket in stock and promised to change the bracket in my XUV during my next visit to the ASC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iride View Post
Has anybody had the experience of getting their brake pads replaced with the new ones from Bosch as mentioned in this CarToq article?

Also, the article talks about retrofitting of the brake pedals for a earlier "bite". Is this happening? Are the results something to write home about? The new design seems to be better per the article.
My ASC is completely unaware of this. They have not received any information from M&M regarding modification of brake pedal and replacement of pads. At present, they are only replacing 1st and 2nd generation pads (front wheels only) with 3rd generation ones. My car came factory fitted with 3rd generation pads.

I have sent mail to M&M Customer Service asking for confirmation about this modification. My ASC is also seeking clarification from M&M.

Incidentally, in 9,700 KM of driving I have never heard any 'grinding noise' from my brakes. But I feel that my brakes are not as strong as they should be and any modification to reduce the stopping distance would be welcome.
Old 23rd February 2013, 12:23   #1500
BHPian

Guys there’s a god news, however before jumping in joy we need to verify this across latitude and longitude. Just came to know from a "extremely reliable source" that there’s a new TSB for XUV5oo's which calls for a change of brake pads, master cylinder and the brake pedal.

Coming back to reality till date I don’t have any clue on the new set of Golfer brake pads, that has been promised to me. And frankly as this has been reported around a month back, and till date I don’t have any firm dates I am getting a little irritated.
me_sid is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks