Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2013, 07:35   #1441
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

@ Debuda.
I have gone through each and every line of your ownership thread and the beautiful travelogue. I have also been thinking of asking you about that one horrible jamshedpur patch that I encountered when I was entering from odisha side. I am not sure what road its called but its about 70 kms. Full of trucks and craters. If you know this road Sir, could you tell me did you put your XUV to test there.? Was it easy or hard? Thanks.
blurust is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2013, 07:59   #1442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurust View Post
@ Debuda.
I have gone through each and every line of your ownership thread and the beautiful travelogue. I have also been thinking of asking you about that one horrible jamshedpur patch that I encountered when I was entering from odisha side. I am not sure what road its called but its about 70 kms. Full of trucks and craters. If you know this road Sir, could you tell me did you put your XUV to test there.? Was it easy or hard? Thanks.
Probably you are referring to the 90 KM stretch between Bahragora and Jamshedpur on NH33. One reaches Bahragora soon after crossing the Jamshola border (between Jharkhand and Orissa) from Orissa.

Well, this stretch continues to be worse than the surface of the moon. The last time I drove on it was about 6 months ago -- in my earlier car (Swift VDi). I am told that this stretch has gone from bad to worse since then.

I boldly drove my XUV to Nathu La and Yumthang, but haven't yet mustered the courage to take it to my own backyard (Bahragora)! But I'll do it one of these days.
Old 24th January 2013, 14:49   #1443
BHPian

The cheetah started showing some new issues from yesterday morning. First thing was with the headlights. I park my car in the underground basement both at my apartment and home. When I started the car at my home with the Autolamp mode ON, the lights were OK. However, when I reached my office, I noticed the lights were not working. Intially I thought issue might be with the sensor. But even after switching to normal light mode, I see only the parking lights getting turned on. On further investigation, it turns out the high beams are working but not the low ones. And the reason there was no lights when in Autolamp mode.

Since lights were a must to travel back during the evening, I took the car to the service centre and they said the low beam bulbs had fused. I was confused on how both the bulbs could fuse at the exact same time. More checks were done on the voltage etc and the final verdict was there was no other issue. So 1000Rs gone for a pair of bulbs which it seems is not covered under warranty. Now one possibility I see was that, there are times I forget to turn off the lights after stopping the car. And cranking the engine the next time around could have caused a voltage spike resulting in the bulbs to fuse. The RM also agreed that could be the reason. Now I never ever used to crank the engines of my other cars with the headlights ON. In the XUV with the autolamp feature and the lights getting turned OFF when switching off the battery made me think there was some system that would prevent such voltage spikes during cranking of the engine.

So thought I was done with the issues for the day. Later in the evening as I was driving on the highway, decided to use the cruise control and its not working. I tried stopping the car, restarting it and still not working. It was working before the 2nd service. Never tried it out after that. Am not sure if some thing got affected during the second service or while they were checking out the voltage issues with the light. Anyways the car again has to go to the service centre to get it fixed. .

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2013, 15:33   #1444
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Since lights were a must to travel back during the evening, I took the car to the service centre and they said the low beam bulbs had fused. I was confused on how both the bulbs could fuse at the exact same time. More checks were done on the voltage etc and the final verdict was there was no other issue. So 1000Rs gone for a pair of bulbs which it seems is not covered under warranty. ...

FundaG
Sorry to hear the trouble with the fused bulbs.

I have paid Rs 140 for one cornering-lamp bulb in the first month of ownership itself.

what brand are the OEM headlight bulbs?
Old 24th January 2013, 17:41   #1445
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was confused on how both the bulbs could fuse at the exact same time. More checks were done on the voltage etc and the final verdict was there was no other issue. So 1000Rs gone for a pair of bulbs which it seems is not covered under warranty. Now one possibility I see was that, there are times I forget to turn off the lights after stopping the car. And cranking the engine the next time around could have caused a voltage spike resulting in the bulbs to fuse.
Since both lights fused at same time and you are facing other electrical issues, there is a very high chance that rats have chewed up some wires. This can cause a short on the lighting causing both bulbs to fuse together. Else it is very rare for both to fuse at same time. Pretty much sure it is a short. Also check all fuses to see if any are blown.
Old 25th January 2013, 00:06   #1446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Since both lights fused at same time and you are facing other electrical issues, there is a very high chance that rats have chewed up some wires. This can cause a short on the lighting causing both bulbs to fuse together. Else it is very rare for both to fuse at same time. Pretty much sure it is a short. Also check all fuses to see if any are blown.
Now you mentioned rat, I have a real strong doubt on this. I came to notice the edges of one of the mats in the second row being nibbled. The rat thought crossed my mind then, but I was still unsure considering I did not hear any unusual noise within the car. All this has happened after the car was at the service centre for 2 days to get the issues sorted out. Have a feeling a rat must have entered some time then.

This is the first time in my entire life am facing an issue with a rat inside my car. . Will be calling the RM first thing tomorrow and get the car totally checked out at the earliest.

Though OT, if anyone out there had faced a similar issue, would really need some suggestion on how it can be handled.

FundaG
Old 25th January 2013, 10:26   #1447
BHPian

Quote:
Now you mentioned rat, I have a real strong doubt on this. I came to notice the edges of one of the mats in the second row being nibbled. The rat thought crossed my mind then, but I was still unsure considering I did not hear any unusual noise within the car. All this has happened after the car was at the service centre for 2 days to get the issues sorted out. Have a feeling a rat must have entered some time then.

This is the first time in my entire life am facing an issue with a rat inside my car. . Will be calling the RM first thing tomorrow and get the car totally checked out at the earliest.

Though OT, if anyone out there had faced a similar issue, would really need some suggestion on how it can be handled.

FundaG
I remember my RM saying not to keep AC in fresh air (ventilation) mode when the Car is parked in places where Rats are present.

Does it happen like that? I didn't believe him at that time.

It's hard to remember to change the AC mode every time you park the car.
Old 25th January 2013, 11:17   #1448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachobells View Post
I remember my RM saying not to keep AC in fresh air (ventilation) mode when the Car is parked in places where Rats are present.

Does it happen like that? I didn't believe him at that time.

It's hard to remember to change the AC mode every time you park the car.
I usually dont put the AC in fresh air mode. If ever I feel some odour, I just lower the windows a bit to let in the air. But have noticed that at times it automatically switches to fresh air mode especially after using the AC in auto. And like Tacho mentioned, you may never notice this while you are parking the car.

End of the day, with no solid proof from where the rat entered, no one can be blamed. Next steps are just to ensure the current issues are sorted out and confirm no other electrical issues. And also do a thorough checking of the car for any rat. Have been doing a basic look around every morning for the last 2 days and nothing is amiss + no other noises within the cabin while driving.

I am planning a long trip in the 2nd week of feb and I dont want to get stranded due to some failure.

FundaG
Old 25th January 2013, 12:19   #1449
BHPian

Quote:
The cheetah started showing some new issues from yesterday morning. First thing was with the headlights. I park my car in the underground basement both at my apartment and home. When I started the car at my home with the Autolamp mode ON, the lights were OK. However, when I reached my office, I noticed the lights were not working. Intially I thought issue might be with the sensor. But even after switching to normal light mode, I see only the parking lights getting turned on. On further investigation, it turns out the high beams are working but not the low ones. And the reason there was no lights when in Autolamp mode.

Since lights were a must to travel back during the evening, I took the car to the service centre and they said the low beam bulbs had fused. I was confused on how both the bulbs could fuse at the exact same time. More checks were done on the voltage etc and the final verdict was there was no other issue. So 1000Rs gone for a pair of bulbs which it seems is not covered under warranty. Now one possibility I see was that, there are times I forget to turn off the lights after stopping the car. And cranking the engine the next time around could have caused a voltage spike resulting in the bulbs to fuse. The RM also agreed that could be the reason. Now I never ever used to crank the engines of my other cars with the headlights ON. In the XUV with the autolamp feature and the lights getting turned OFF when switching off the battery made me think there was some system that would prevent such voltage spikes during cranking of the engine.

So thought I was done with the issues for the day. Later in the evening as I was driving on the highway, decided to use the cruise control and its not working. I tried stopping the car, restarting it and still not working. It was working before the 2nd service. Never tried it out after that. Am not sure if some thing got affected during the second service or while they were checking out the voltage issues with the light. Anyways the car again has to go to the service centre to get it fixed. .

FundaG
1000RS ? Mate i replaced bulb twice in one year (one at time). first one was free of cost and second time i used my spare one.

Last edited by Tushargohil : 25th January 2013 at 12:21.
Old 27th January 2013, 17:03   #1450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushargohil View Post

1000RS ? Mate i replaced bulb twice in one year (one at time). first one was free of cost and second time i used my spare one.
Tushargohil, i think you are talking about the high beam bulbs and fundagenie is referring to the low beam projector lamps. Cos, i too had to get a fused projector lamp replaced and it cost me abt Rs.500.

My driver side leds are not working since yesterday. Talked to the SA who asked me to get the car on Tuesday to check whats wrong. Lets see how it goes....

Ar. Naved
Old 27th January 2013, 17:16   #1451
BHPian

Quote:
Are you saying that the bulbs are covered under warranty or something, since you had mentioned the first time it was free of cost. I had checked if it can be replaced by spare ones but the RM mentioned that it would be better to keep it away in case of any requirement while travelling.

FundaG
Old 28th January 2013, 07:39   #1452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Whereas it is possible that the failure of Cruise Control could be due to some wires being nibbled through by rodents, I find it difficult to technically comprehend how a short circuit could cause bulbs to fuse. Bulbs usually fuse either due to old age or voltage spikes. A short circuit is unlikely to cause a voltage spike but is likely to blow a fuse.

It appears to me that the voltage spike to the bulbs happened when the car was started with the headlights on. But even then the spike should not have been high enough to fuse the bulbs unless the electronic module or the diodes in the alternator are malfunctioning. This needs to be confirmed. Otherwise the new bulbs may also fuse.

Quote:
Would like to know the circumstances under which M&M agreed to replace a bulb free of cost.
debuda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 08:50   #1453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
It appears to me that the voltage spike to the bulbs happened when the car was started with the headlights on. But even then the spike should not have been high enough to fuse the bulbs unless the electronic module or the diodes in the alternator are malfunctioning. This needs to be confirmed. Otherwise the new bulbs may also fuse.
Debuda, you have hit the nail on the head. I experienced the same situation almost 5 years back & I would like to share it over here though it is a different car. I realized that my headlamp's upper beam is no longer working. These were Philips make 90/100W rally lamps & gave flawless service for 14 months. I replaced these lamps with new Philips 90/100W halogens. To my utter dismay even the new set fused within a day, in a similar fashion. A pair costed Rs 310/- & two pairs lost within an interval of two days, meant my pocket was eased of Rs 620/-. The next morning I went to the Lucas TVS service centre & asked them for this abnormal incident. The mechanic then checked the battery voltage across terminals & raced the car, so that the engine & alternator became hot. With this scenario the voltage shot upto 14.4V-14.5V. Ocssionally it shot upto 15V. The mechanic told that there is spike in voltage coming from the alternator & this was the primary reason for two filaments fusing in two days. He advised that the alternator would need servicing. I got the alternator overhauled & its been more than 5 years since then, I have not faced that issue again.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 11:45   #1454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
The mechanic then checked the battery voltage across terminals & raced the car, so that the engine & alternator became hot. With this scenario the voltage shot upto 14.4V-14.5V. Ocssionally it shot upto 15V. The mechanic told that there is spike in voltage coming from the alternator & this was the primary reason for two filaments fusing in two days. He advised that the alternator would need servicing. I got the alternator overhauled & its been more than 5 years since then, I have not faced that issue again.
The voltage variations was checked thoroughly, especially since both the bulbs got fused. The report was everything was OK on this front. I had also told the RM that if in case the bulbs go kaput any time soon and it turns out to be due to some electrical issue, then I would be asking for a free replacement.

As of now I have to go agree that the bulbs got fused due to starting the car with the lights on. But I thought with Autolamp feature this would never happen. I used to keep the Autolamp ON at all times switching to the manual option only during the night. How is it with other car brands that have autolamp feature. is it required to switch OFF the lights when starting the car and then turn ON the Autolamp after starting the car.

BTW did a thorough check of the car interiors during the weekend. Didnt come across any rodents or any other matter pointing to the presence of a rodent. Hope its gone.

FundaG
Old 28th January 2013, 12:31   #1455
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As of now I have to go agree that the bulbs got fused due to starting the car with the lights on. But I thought with Autolamp feature this would never happen. I used to keep the Autolamp ON at all times switching to the manual option only during the night. How is it with other car brands that have autolamp feature. is it required to switch OFF the lights when starting the car and then turn ON the Autolamp after starting the car.

I have started using the start-stop feature in city traffic and while returning home every night, the start-stop does kick-in at least 4-5 times everyday. When that happens, the headlights remain ON. When the engine kicks-in again, the possible spike can damage the bulbs. But in my car, I have not faced the problem, even with headlights on.

A few times, at traffic signals during night, I have shut down the car completely. I think the key remained in ACC when I did that. The headlights go off in this scenario (although the stalk is still in ON mode). Now when I crank the engine, the headlight flickers in sync with the engine cranking. I have assumed that this is designed that way to protect the bulbs.

So in summary, I doubt, this has anything to do with the Auto-Headlight feature.

I have to re-check if the headlights are momentarily switched off automatically (to protect them) when using the start-stop feature at night. IIRC, they don't. And in that case, the electricals seemed being able to handle the spike when the engine cranks up.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks