Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2013, 16:07   #1456
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
I have started using the start-stop feature in city traffic and while returning home every night, the start-stop does kick-in at least 4-5 times everyday. When that happens, the headlights remain ON. When the engine kicks-in again, the possible spike can damage the bulbs. But in my car, I have not faced the problem, even with headlights on.

A few times, at traffic signals during night, I have shut down the car completely. I think the key remained in ACC when I did that. The headlights go off in this scenario (although the stalk is still in ON mode). Now when I crank the engine, the headlight flickers in sync with the engine cranking. I have assumed that this is designed that way to protect the bulbs.

So in summary, I doubt, this has anything to do with the Auto-Headlight feature.

I have to re-check if the headlights are momentarily switched off automatically (to protect them) when using the start-stop feature at night. IIRC, they don't. And in that case, the electricals seemed being able to handle the spike when the engine cranks up.

Totally agreeing with you. I also have the Start-stop feature enabled at all times. And the light flickers when the engine starts up. So with these features, my guess was the XUV had the systems to handle the spikes when the engine cranks up. And the RM says that though its all there, it still might fuse the bulb and its always safe to have the lights OFF when manually cranking the engine.
Old 28th January 2013, 16:24   #1457
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
...And the RM says that though its all there, it still might fuse the bulb and its always safe to have the lights OFF when manually cranking the engine.
The RM could not think of a better argument for this 15L INR modern vehicle?

I have bought that argument for a Hero Honda 100cc bike 20 years back. I would not buy the same argument for even a 100cc bike today.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 23:45   #1458
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have started using the start-stop feature in city traffic and while returning home every night, the start-stop does kick-in at least 4-5 times everyday. When that happens, the headlights remain ON. When the engine kicks-in again, the possible spike can damage the bulbs. But in my car, I have not faced the problem, even with headlights on.

A few times, at traffic signals during night, I have shut down the car completely. I think the key remained in ACC when I did that. The headlights go off in this scenario (although the stalk is still in ON mode). Now when I crank the engine, the headlight flickers in sync with the engine cranking. I have assumed that this is designed that way to protect the bulbs.

So in summary, I doubt, this has anything to do with the Auto-Headlight feature.

I have to re-check if the headlights are momentarily switched off automatically (to protect them) when using the start-stop feature at night. IIRC, they don't. And in that case, the electricals seemed being able to handle the spike when the engine cranks up.
Checked what happens when the engine auto-cranks during the start-stop function. The headlights go off momentarily. So looks like the bulbs are protected from any startup-surge by design.

But, then the question remains. How did fundagenie's bulbs got fused?

Last edited by SDP : 28th January 2013 at 23:46.
Old 30th January 2013, 12:29   #1459
BHPian

Couple of doubts on some of the features. These are not niggles.

1. Follow-me-home lights : I am still confused with the working logic of this feature . Like when they will come ON. Let me give a situation I experienced yesterday

- Starts from office in the evening. The car is parked in the basement. On unlocking the car, the head light switches ON as expected

- Drive to home in Autolamp mode. Parks the car in the apartment basement and on locking the car, the headlight again switches ON as expected. I turn it OFF using the lock button on the key.

- After a few steps I realise my mobile is in the car. So unlock the car and the head lamps dont turn ON as I was expecting. Neither when I locked the car again. Now my confusion is the follow-me-home feature was enabled a few mins back when I was locking the car, but not active when I unlocked/locked it again.

- Later in the night, for going out, I unlocked the car and the head lights turned ON, again as expected.

Am totally confused with the logic of this system. Could anyone figure out what is the best way to make use of it as I felt it was a really useful feature when parking in dark basements.

2. KML : As per the manual, its possible to save your trip log in the navigator as KML file to be used with any Google mapping tools. But any idea on how this file can be copied to another device like laptop or mobile . Has anyone tried this?

FundaG
Old 30th January 2013, 12:37   #1460
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

1. Follow-me-home lights : I am still confused with the working logic of this feature . Like when they will come ON. Let me give a situation I experienced yesterday

...Am totally confused with the logic of this system. Could anyone figure out what is the best way to make use of it as I felt it was a really useful feature when parking in dark basements.
My understanding is that it works on the "first" input from remote after a time-gap. So if the car is parked for some time and then you unlock, the lead-me-to-the-car activates only on the "first" unlock. Similarly after driving for a while, you park the car, step out and lock the car. The lead-me-home activates on the "first" lock.

Quote:
2. KML : As per the manual, its possible to save your trip log in the navigator as KML file to be used with any Google mapping tools. But any idea on how this file can be copied to another device like laptop or mobile . Has anyone tried this?
Struggling with the same. No answer till now.

FundaG,
BTW, my left bulb fused yesterday.
Old 30th January 2013, 12:44   #1461
BHPian

[quote=SDP;3028431

BTW, my left bulb fused yesterday.[/QUOTE]

How many kms have you done? Mine had done just over 9000kms when I had to replace the bulbs. For a car of 15lacs I feel this is not right especially since the projector bulb costs approx 500 per piece.. The first time I replaced the headlight bulb in my Honda city was7 yrs down the lane with 80000+ kms on the odo.

FundaG
Old 30th January 2013, 14:00   #1462
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How many kms have you done? Mine had done just over 9000kms when I had to replace the bulbs. For a car of 15lacs I feel this is not right especially since the projector bulb costs approx 500 per piece.. The first time I replaced the headlight bulb in my Honda city was7 yrs down the lane with 80000+ kms on the odo.

FundaG
My car is ~7 months old and has done 8000kms. The cornering bulb was replaced in first month itself!

Even I am surprised that bulbs are getting fused so early. My Alto is till running original bulbs after 8.5 years and 68000kms.
Old 31st January 2013, 12:50   #1463

hi, this is my first post on the forum. I recently became an owner of the XUV 500 W8 , December 2012 model. I went through the thread and have some issues with the XUV. The car has done 3500 km , mainly due to two long trips. some niggles i found are as under:-

(a) Braking. Seems a lot of owners have been getting that grinding sound and feel , its localized to my right front wheel and the braking seems very labored. Any solutions yet?

(b) Cabin vibration. the whole cabin vibrates when changing from 2nd to third gear. I have read that some owners have felt the same problem, has any body got a solution yet?

(c) Infotainment system. It worked fine for 20 days, now the NAV and Phone functions are playing up. On calling from the phone menu, the system hung up on me 4 times in 5 days, only resetting after restarting the vehicle. The NAV hung up 3 times after i started the NAV from the NAV button on the console , but it came back on from the Home button and selection of NAV function from the screen . Anybody facing the same problem.

(d) Cruise Control. The cruise did not function on a trip back , had to restart the vehicle and it came back on, also was increasing the speed from 100 to 120 with the controls on the steering, the cruise disengaged on reaching 120 kmph on its own. Tried a bit later in small shifts, went over 120 smoothly. ???

My apologies if they have been answered before, could not find a the definitive answer!!
Old 31st January 2013, 14:11   #1464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My car is ~7 months old and has done 8000kms. The cornering bulb was replaced in first month itself!

Even I am surprised that bulbs are getting fused so early. My Alto is till running original bulbs after 8.5 years and 68000kms.
Guys,

Can you please check the light intensity on your IS screen (or the other lights on dash) when the car is idling or may be running (on an open patch, ensuring you are safe and not causing an accident), look at the screen for flickering intensity of the light! If you notice something like this, please get it checked and rectified, this could be a varying power issue that may cause components to fail over a period of time.
I have observed this sometime back but not recently, I have all my lights/electrical working as normal so far, no issues faced, but thought to bring this to notice of others.
Ketan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2013, 16:24   #1465
BHPian

Appreciate if someone can help me with the following:
1.I find it difficult exiting the MMI screen back to the Home screen.
2. To check the outside temp, the only way I have found is to rotate the AC knob. Is there any other way?
3. Is there a way to make the AC screen stay? After I rotate the AC knob, it comes and then disappears in about 5 secs back to the default screen which is the FM radio.
Heavy Horse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2013, 17:39   #1466
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
2. To check the outside temp, the only way I have found is to rotate the AC knob. Is there any other way?
3. Is there a way to make the AC screen stay? After I rotate the AC knob, it comes and then disappears in about 5 secs back to the default screen which is the FM radio.
1. Didn't get it. Do you mean the screen where NAV, PHONE, RADIO, VIDEO etc are shown? If yes, press the physical home button or the virtual home button.

2. AFAIK, no. That's the only way. Moreover, don't trust that temperature shown. It's not 100% correct all the time. Will give you a rough idea only.

3. AFAIK, no.
tachobells is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2013, 17:47   #1467
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by footsoldier View Post
hi, this is my first post on the forum. I recently became an owner of the XUV 500 W8 , December 2012 model. I went through the thread and have some issues with the XUV. The car has done 3500 km , mainly due to two long trips. some niggles i found are as under:-

(a) Braking. Seems a lot of owners have been getting that grinding sound and feel , its localized to my right front wheel and the braking seems very labored. Any solutions yet?

(b) Cabin vibration. the whole cabin vibrates when changing from 2nd to third gear. I have read that some owners have felt the same problem, has any body got a solution yet?

(c) Infotainment system. It worked fine for 20 days, now the NAV and Phone functions are playing up. On calling from the phone menu, the system hung up on me 4 times in 5 days, only resetting after restarting the vehicle. The NAV hung up 3 times after i started the NAV from the NAV button on the console , but it came back on from the Home button and selection of NAV function from the screen . Anybody facing the same problem.

(d) Cruise Control. The cruise did not function on a trip back , had to restart the vehicle and it came back on, also was increasing the speed from 100 to 120 with the controls on the steering, the cruise disengaged on reaching 120 kmph on its own. Tried a bit later in small shifts, went over 120 smoothly. ???

My apologies if they have been answered before, could not find a the definitive answer!!
1. If you are able to loacalize the brake-noise to a particular wheel, please do get it checked. There are new design pads as well. Please do check if yours are the latest design.

2. From 2nd to ther 3rd gear, the RPM drops significantly more than other up-shifts. So its a distinct possibility that when you shift to 3rd, the RPM is dropping to quite low and the body-vibration could be because of the engine struggling at that low rpm. Please try shifting to 3rd at 2000-2250 rpm and see if there is a difference.

3. Most likely a faulty unit. Please report to A.S.S.

4. The max. speed that can be achieved by presssing "+" in cruise-control mode is a function of which gear you are in. When the cruise-control disengaged at 120kmph, which gear were you in?
Should not happen in 5th and 6th gear. Possibly not in 4th as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Guys,

Can you please check the light intensity on your IS screen (or the other lights on dash) when the car is idling or may be running (on an open patch, ensuring you are safe and not causing an accident), look at the screen for flickering intensity of the light! If you notice something like this, please get it checked and rectified, this could be a varying power issue that may cause components to fail over a period of time.
I have observed this sometime back but not recently, I have all my lights/electrical working as normal so far, no issues faced, but thought to bring this to notice of others.
Fantastic point, Ketan. My infortainment system screen does flicker. I have ignored it till now. Now I will get that checked. Thanks again for the pointer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
1. Pressing the music/home/source button should take you out of MMI decently easily. Not sure if I am understanding the question right. Are you saying that you press the 'home" button while on MMI and it does not take you to "home" screen?

2 & 3. Design limitations. That's the way it is. Don't believe there is a way around.

Last edited by SDP : 31st January 2013 at 17:48.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 10:56   #1468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Guys,

I have not faced this issue so far. Touchwood . Anyways I will keep a lookout for any such flickering.

So my car is gone back to the service centre for some more repairs again in less than 2 weeks.

- Cruise control : Not working after I got it from 2nd service. Dunno if the rat chewed up something here. Anyways for the last 1.5 weeks have been on the constant lookout for any proof of a rat. Nothing turned out except for the nibbled 2nd row mat and the low beam bulbs fusing, both noticed on the 2nd day after getting the car back from the service centre. Am pretty sure the damage had happened when the car was at the service centre overnight during the 2nd service.

- Power steering : Its again tight. Just a doubt here. The driver who came to pick up the car mentioned there would be some variation in tightness depending on the position of the steering using the tilt/telescopic adjustments. I am not buying this. Though its the first time I am driving a car with telescopic adjustments my previous cars had tilt feature and I never felt any difference in the steering tightness at different positions. Being a 6ft+ I drive with the seat pushed all the way back and the steering pulled all the way up and towards myself. Anyone with some technical knowhow on this matter.

- Gearshift : Was really buttersmooth for a few days after 2nd service. Right now, I felt it was worse than before with none of the gears slotting properly without some effort both for up and down shift.

- Wheel alignment : Again good for a few days. If it was pulling to the right earlier, it had started pulling to the left.

Plus some minor niggles.

After owning XUV for 5 months, have to admit this car surely needs some amount of constant attention. Either there should be a driver to look after it or else one should have some extra time on a weekly basis. The cheetah seems to be more of a cub than an adult...

FundaG.
fundagenie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 11:43   #1469
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
After owning XUV for 5 months, have to admit this car surely needs some amount of constant attention. Either there should be a driver to look after it or else one should have some extra time on a weekly basis. The cheetah seems to be more of a cub than an adult...

FundaG.
Very good analogy!
My approach has been to accumulate minor issues for a few weeks and then visit the service center once in 1.5/2 months.
Need to get the cub in top running condition just before a kill (a long highway trip).
Old 1st February 2013, 22:40   #1470
BANNED

Quote:

- Starts from office in the evening. The car is parked in the basement. On unlocking the car, the head light switches ON as expected

- Drive to home in Autolamp mode. Parks the car in the apartment basement and on locking the car, the headlight again switches ON as expected. I turn it OFF using the lock button on the key.

- After a few steps I realise my mobile is in the car. So unlock the car and the head lamps dont turn ON as I was expecting. Neither when I locked the car again. Now my confusion is the follow-me-home feature was enabled a few mins back when I was locking the car, but not active when I unlocked/locked it again.

- Later in the night, for going out, I unlocked the car and the head lights turned ON, again as expected.

Am totally confused with the logic of this system. Could anyone figure out what is the best way to make use of it as I felt it was a really useful feature when parking in dark basements.

FundaG
There need to be 120 sec gap between the headlamp turning off in follow me home mode and headlamps turning on in lead me to vehicle mode. Probably you had unlocked in less than 2 min. Please try.
spkingsley is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks