Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2013, 19:17   #1606
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
While the point is valid, I am not sure if the change has been incorporated in the production-line already. May be a new proud owner of a XUV can throw some light.

Did your RM/area-CCM mention that the new brake-pedal is coming factory-fitted on current batches?
You are right SDP. What I heard from a friend is that they will be incorporated in March manufactured vehicle. Though not clear on all the dealers will have march manufactured cars in stock.
HotChillyPepper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2013, 19:28   #1607
Senior - BHPian

Now this new brake pedal is only for W8 model or there is one for W6 as well. Asking this cause the one you showed below has a sensor for ESP, which W6 doesnt have.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2013, 21:10   #1608
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Now this new brake pedal is only for W8 model or there is one for W6 as well. Asking this cause the one you showed below has a sensor for ESP, which W6 doesnt have.
Very good question, Nitin! I like the way you think.

Although HCP has mentioned a sensor related to ESP, here are a few things to consider:
1. HCP might have meant EBD. (ESP does kick in even in non-breaking situations.)
2. Some ABS+EBD systems do use a sensor installed on the brake-pedal. ABS+EBD is common on W6 and W8.
3. Even if the sensor is dedicated for ESP, the design is modular and not tightly-integrated. So you can actually have the same brake-pedal installed without the sensor.

Summarizing, I genuinely doubt that the brake-pedal design would be different on W6 v/s W8.

Last edited by SDP : 29th March 2013 at 21:13.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2013, 21:22   #1609
BHPian

Hi,
I noticed today on our Feb 13 manufactured w8 that the front brake pads are the new galfer ones, but the rear brakes pads are Bosch made. Can't tell much about the brake pedal for i can't compare.
mdsaif92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2013, 22:18   #1610
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaif92 View Post
Hi,
I noticed today on our Feb 13 manufactured w8 that the front brake pads are the new galfer ones, but the rear brakes pads are Bosch made. Can't tell much about the brake pedal for i can't compare.
This is good information again! Thanks!
That means the 4th generation pads have already been incorporated in the production-line from Feb'2013. It would be interesting to see if M&M issues a recall for the brake-pads and brake-pedal as well.

mdsaif92, If you want to check if you have the new brake-pedal or not, do take a test-drive on the showroom vehicle, the next time you are in that area. The old ones have a huge free-play or a 1 inch dead-zone when you start pressing the pedal. The new pedal starts biting immediately. The difference is significant, you can't miss it if you compare it with the test-drive vehicle.

Last edited by SDP : 29th March 2013 at 22:20.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2013, 07:11   #1611
BHPian

The play in the brake pedal of my car is there but it's quite lesser than an inch. No grinding noise whatsoever, but it may be too early to tell.
mdsaif92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2013, 23:49   #1612
BHPian

During the regular recall related replacements (wiper cover, front window motors and steering fluid hose) this week on my vehicle, the front brake pads were changed to Galfer ones at no cost upon my request but the brake pedal assembly was not - this is apparently still under testing and development. Also, my steering fluid hose was inspected but not replaced since it was found to be of the modified variety. Mine is a Jun'12 vehicle with first servicing only completed.
Old 4th April 2013, 16:35   #1613

Last month, I visited Anant Cars Bangalore. Summary:
1. A/C had stopped working. Fixed. They said the A/C pipe was blocked. Was not convincing as he was not able to show me where block was. But, the cooling function returned to normal levels - quite good
2. Front Wheel grinding noise while breaking. Fixed. Brake pads changes. have run about 1,000 kms after that - did not hear the noise again
3. Wiper blades making noise - asked them to change to Bosch. May be fixed. I could not confirm this as Bosch is not embossed

XUV is amazing to drive though I feel (after six months of usage) that braking power is not sufficient. Also, had false alarms twice - Hill Control ascent warning came on after bumper-to-bumper traffic; Engine warning came on after a short drive in hot weather. Warnings vanished after switching off the engine for tea breaks ;-)
Old 6th April 2013, 11:15   #1614
rlg
BHPian

Crossed 1500kms on my XUV. Yeah, I have been slow raking up the miles.
Niggles list apart from the usual window rattle:
1. Whole vehicle shudders on hard acceleration from about 1000 rpm in second gear. I feel this is getting better as the engine is running in, but it is still present.
2. GPS stopped seeing satellites a few days back. Hope it is just a case of antenna connector getting disconnected.
3. Unlock button in one remote doesn't work reliably.

BTW saw a new XUV with rear spoiler yesterday. Is it standard equipment now? The rear glass does collect a lot of dust, spoiler might help reduce this.
Old 12th April 2013, 11:02   #1615

Dear XUV 500 Owners

I have been following this thread for sometime now as i almost bought the xuv 500 last year , but deferred it due to the niggles/issues that i started seeing / hearing after its launch. It was always a toss up between Innova and XUV , though it would seem like comparing apples to oranges, and i am just not able to take the plunge on either of them, as my heart says XUV (but put off by issues etc) and my brain says Innova - but not excited about driving it.

Is buying XUV 500 a good decision now, with most of the software issues -warnings,error codes, system hangs etc and the hardware issues - brake pads, suspension, door jams, a/c noise, rattling, wipers etc seemingly fixed with the new batch OR is it still a gamble to buy this vehicle ?
Old 12th April 2013, 12:01   #1616
BHPian

I got my W8 delivered on Apr 5, the March manufactured XUV (VIN said it all) and have driven it 590kms since then. First long drive is the mandatory visit to Tirupathi and lucky me, had darshan in 1 hour on Sunday!

Few observations:
  1. The turn indicator angle of move for left and right from mid-point is different. For the left turn, a 10 degree turn will slot it, for the right turn, it takes 15 or 20 degrees to slot in. Not only this, my left indicator gets cancelled as expected after the turn is complete, but my right indicator keeps flashing and does not cancel when the steering comes back to straight - manual cancel is required. Will take to service at my next free time
  2. The XUV badge at the trunk on lower right hand side, one of the sticks of X came off broken. No one hit the car; neither did I hit anything, it just like that came off. Good that it did not fall off, so a Rs.5 fevikwik did the trick to keep it in place
  3. As soon as I start the engine in the morning, cold start, I follow the mandatory 30-seconds idle before I roll the car out of garage. But, during the initial 5 kms travel, I somehow hear an additional noise in the engine while accelerating in gear only. When I idle and accelerate, that extra noise does not come. I don’t know how to explain what sound it is - probably a "grrrr" sound. It is not belt for sure because after 5 or 8 kms, the extra noise goes off. The same happens when I take the car in the evening back home. Not sure what this is or if I am the only one to hear this
  4. The cruise control is amazing. Engages on demand and behaves as I expect it to. However, what I felt is, when I run any higher than 100 on CC, I feel I am not in control of the speed, someone else is controlling it. This gives me an uncomfortable feeling and I put off cruise. The same speed if I hit with my right foot on the accelerator, or even higher speed, I feel I "am" in control and go that speed without hesitation or the uncomfortable feeling. I think this is more to do with my feeling than to do with the CC. But, overall the CC rocks...

What I don’t like:
  1. When I half press turn indicator, either to left or to right, the indicator flashes as long as I hold the stalk there and off when I release the hand - this is fine. But, what is not fine is, my Rs.7 lakh i20 flashes 3 times when I half-press and release on either side to indicate lane change. My Rs.16 lakh car does not have this!
  2. The lamp inside the bottom glove box gets lit for only few seconds and goes off after that. I would have wished it were lit entire time the lid is open. Not only this, the lamp is not powerful enough to illuminate the entire box, it is sufficient to lit the ones just under the lamp
  3. There is a quarter or half second delay before the glass rolls down or up after I press the button. It should be ideal enough to start spontaneously. Probably this delay is given to avoid accidental press vs actual need to roll down or up. But, ideally I would probably realize the press only after the glass starts to roll. So this does not seem to be the reason for the quarter or half second delay - then what, I don’t know!
  4. Not sure how many of you have tried it, I tried bringing down the spare wheel just to understand how it works and the wheel rested partially on the exhaust pipe and this resulted in one side of wheel hitting the ground, the other hanging on the pipe. I had to take it up a bit, pull the wheel towards me, then roll it down to avoid hitting the exhaust pipe. My car was NOT on an incline
  5. The head lamp throw, I am not comfortable and I do see the right side lamp is throwing less than the left side. I have read the thread and know why that is provided, will get the service folks adjust to my taste. The lamp, I have still not decided if I will change the bulb, but have not ruled that out. Suggestions from fellow BHPians will help
  6. The steering wheel, rake adjust is insufficient. The angle in which it is kept now, with the rake angle, suggests me that people expect you to adjust the seat and come closer to the steering wheel instead of the steering wheel coming closer to you (rake, not reach). A 6-footer with long legs that I am, I feel constrained with this. With the reach adjusted fully out, the rake is forcing me to come forward and I have leg pain after going a long distance - say 50 or 60kms. I have constantly adjusted the steering and the seat during the entire journey to Tirupathi that my father and wife have asked me if I was uncomfortable with the vehicle

What I intend doing:
  1. During the trip, my parents came along for one direction in XUV and they felt the height a deterrent from getting in once again. So, the side step is a must for them as others have pointed. For my wife, kids and me, it is fine without it. Anyway, will get it fixed as they would also travel often times
  2. Rear bumper guard to be fixed. I am still thinking if I should or not. The "not" is because I will hit the rear wall each time I park the car in the garage as there is just space for the bumper and nothing more. Other than this, I want to protect the bumper from getting hit from the rear. That is only because, I feel the guys behind me, due to vehicle height, may not see the traffic ahead of me and he is blinded to that extent. So, there is always a lag between he seeing my tail lamp, reacting to it by applying breaks. He is sure to hit me if he is tailing me and we go at 80+ and break
  3. Front bumpers, I am not for it but I am being convinced by the accessories folks. Why I am not for it is because I have read it will hinder in the air bag operations. The accessories guys asked me if I know of any incident in India where the air bag had deployed. To be frank, I am not aware of it, so I am being convinced by this guy to install the front bumper as well. I have moved for 100% no to 50% yes. Since I am unable to decide either way now, I seek help from fellow BHPians on this

These problems does not exist: MMI related, break related, suspensions, ratling. As said by others and probably Mahindra too, the newer ones comes out with the issues being resolved. So, anyone wants to buy XUV, go with it as I have the one from March and is 7 days since I took delivery that I have not found the usual problems

Other than the above, I love... love... and love the vehicle. On the way back from Tirupathi, we started by 10pm back to Chennai and I took two pillows, two bed spreads, folded the 2nd and 3rd row seats to flat, put the bed spreads, got my two kids sleep on it for the 3 hour journey back home. The kids loved it, my wife also like it. In my Verna, the two would fight for proper place in the rear seat to lie down and come. At times my younger one would fall down during breaking and cry. The next day, the two would be tired and not go to the morning cricket practice. None of these happened this time, my son woke up and went for the practice in the morning 5am in spite of reaching home only by 1am.

I have not visited the fuel station after my first tank up, so don’t know the FE, but the DIS shows 9.5. I will not give in to this, will tank up, calculate and update. Whatever FE I will get, that will be with a 2-hour idle running of engine with AC. On the way back, I took a 45-minute nap to rejuvenate myself and avoid dozing off behind the wheels. Then, during the few stopovers that we did for reliving and to drink juices, each time the AC was running and the total idle running works out to about 2 hours. Anyway, I will update the FE after I tank up next

Until then, Cheers and happy motoring to all
krishnaraja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 12:03   #1617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelWizard View Post
Dear XUV 500 Owners

I have been following this thread for sometime now as i almost bought the xuv 500 last year , but deferred it due to the niggles/issues that i started seeing / hearing after its launch. It was always a toss up between Innova and XUV , though it would seem like comparing apples to oranges, and i am just not able to take the plunge on either of them, as my heart says XUV (but put off by issues etc) and my brain says Innova - but not excited about driving it.

Is buying XUV 500 a good decision now, with most of the software issues -warnings,error codes, system hangs etc and the hardware issues - brake pads, suspension, door jams, a/c noise, rattling, wipers etc seemingly fixed with the new batch OR is it still a gamble to buy this vehicle ?
Oh! Dont worry, take the plunge. I say this because I dont see these problems in my machine. Mine is March manufactured and is very cool.
Old 12th April 2013, 12:10   #1618
BHPian

Quote:
Dear XUV 500 Owners

I too was in similar dilemma for the last 2 years. Having followed this thread closely for a long time and discussions with some known guys in Mahindra service centres gave me the confidence to take the plunge. The car is almost niggle free.

I booked the car 2 weeks back and am getting delivery this weekend.

Go ahead and take the plunge. It's no gamble else you have to wait forever (remember prices are increasing every 6 months. Chennai price for W8 went up by Rs. 60k between Dec and Apr).

Last edited by bnzjon : 12th April 2013 at 12:11.
Old 12th April 2013, 12:17   #1619
BHPian

Quote:
Dear XUV 500 Owners

Just go for it. Mine is a July 2012 vehicle. Apart from the insufficient breaking I have had no issues (touch wood). Even the breaking issue has now been fixed and am pretty happy with my vehicle. I have done about 7000 km so far (yes, slow to gobble up the miles)
Old 12th April 2013, 16:24   #1620

Thanks for the quick responses. It definitely is encouraging to see that the positivies are increasing on the quality and build of XUV 500. I am a bit apprehensive about the stability of the vehicle as i normally touch 130 km/h - 150 km/h on the highways and would like to know how the vehicle responds to sudden braking and swerving. I had not bought the Scorpio, as i could never feel connected with the road and there was an element of vagueness in its steering . I had been driving the ikon and then moved to Swift vdi later and i simply loved the responsiveness and the capability of these two cars and hence hoping that XUV 500 would also offer similar satisfaction in this space.
Please do share more views and suggest if there is a need to change the tyres (not sure what stock tyres are fitted) and HID for the head lamps ? Also there is nothing around extended warranty and wondering if they do plan to introduce it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks