Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2013, 17:08   #1666
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar24 View Post
Dear XUVians, i am not sure if this is the correct place to ask this query since its not a niggle or issue with the vehicle but i would like to know has anyone changed/upgraded the headlight bulb for low beam which is a 55W H1 bulb, because i find it to be a very dim and road visibility is not that great.
I heard many people complaining about low beam, and actually i want to change mine.
Please do let me know if anybody has upgraded the bulbs.
Also suggest me with replacement bulbs.
Well- I have fitted HID on the projector (low beam) - But very unhappy with the throw/ At close distances it is nice and bright - but the range is not great- Forced to use high beam too on highway!
Feel a good 100w bulb with a "cut-out" (relay) would be a better option,
The Only good thing is that on cumming traffic dip their lights and while wanting to overtake - the vehicle in front often give space.
Old 1st May 2013, 20:25   #1667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
auto alarm horn too failed and got lodged in the drive pulley belt
M&M- Why can't this be replaced on priority for all XUV owners? Are you waiting for disasters to happen and then correct the wrong design/quality?
Old 2nd May 2013, 07:51   #1668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardfdz View Post
Well finally my auto alarm horn too failed and got lodged in the drive pulley belt!
Gerard F
Gerard, Sorry to hear about this incident.

I hope M&M might have replace the alarm horn.

If yes, is the new horn is of new design or looks exactly same as the old one? if it is a new design, the M&M is aware and taken this problem seriously.
Old 2nd May 2013, 08:38   #1669
BHPian

As 1st was a holiday I will be visiting G3 today. Hope to get a positive feedback. I understand from other posts, its the bracket that fails. So definitely a quality issue.
Old 2nd May 2013, 11:01   #1670
BHPian

Quote:
Well finally my auto alarm horn too failed and got lodged in the drive pulley belt! Being mechanically inclined - was able to wrestle it out and continue on my journey from Surat to Mumbai!
I shiver to think what would happen if it had jammed hard and the belt snapped or worse still, jammed the pulley causing the engine to freeze.
I had a bad experience in my Fusion where a mechanic dropped a bolt into the timing belt. The entire engine had to be opened, and new pistons/ head etc to be changed.
They are recalling vehicle to replace a stupid insignificant piece of plastic on the wiper - But such failures which have been reported time and again by a vast number of owners are nor being looked into!!
Where are their priorities!!
It time Mr A. Mahindra work up and whipped some rear's for their "chalta hai! " attitude.
Gerard F
I would suggest sending a mail directly to the concerned persons with photos. Believe someone else in our group also faced the same issue and had put the photos. So maybe it could be a joint mailer pointing out the issue, the probable aftereffects and the need for a compulsory replacement of this part in all cars.

As long as one dosent face this issue, I dont think the service centre would also be forthcoming to replace this part. And then it is not feasible from our end also to keep checking, on a daily basis, if the horn is falling off.

FundaG
Old 2nd May 2013, 20:28   #1671
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambadan View Post
Gerard, Sorry to hear about this incident.

I hope M&M might have replace the alarm horn.

If yes, is the new horn is of new design or looks exactly same as the old one? if it is a new design, the M&M is aware and taken this problem seriously.
UPDATE
Got the horn replaced. Apparently it is a common problem! The mechanic too mentioned that earlier they would remove the entire right side headlight assembly to access and fit a new horn, now with experience they manage to do it from the top after moving the coolant box.
The new horn has a thicker plastic bracket that connects to the metal securing bracket and an additional "wire tie" attachment to hold the horn body to the metal bracket.
And by the way- as the belt -as seen from the top- was "not damaged" it was not replaced!!! Wonder how long it will last as definitely there has been rubbing /friction.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-new-horn-2.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-old-horn-2.jpg  

Last edited by Gerardfdz : 2nd May 2013 at 20:31.
Gerardfdz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 22:37   #1672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well- I have fitted HID on the projector (low beam) - But very unhappy with the throw/ At close distances it is nice and bright - but the range is not great- Forced to use high beam too on highway!
Feel a good 100w bulb with a "cut-out" (relay) would be a better option,
The Only good thing is that on cumming traffic dip their lights and while wanting to overtake - the vehicle in front often give space.

Thats a bad experience after spending on the HID's i feel.
In face the Mahindra person who came home to explain the features of the XUV after delivery, himself asked me about the low beam and suggested me to change low beam bulbs (projectors) to Philips Blue vision ultras.
Old 3rd May 2013, 19:25   #1673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar24 View Post
Thats a bad experience after spending on the HID's i feel.
In face the Mahindra person who came home to explain the features of the XUV after delivery, himself asked me about the low beam and suggested me to change low beam bulbs (projectors) to Philips Blue vision ultras.
Issue here is not the HID's, its the throw of the headlight. The low beam throw cuts off very close, making it difficult to drive in low beam. So even if you put HID's, high volts bulbs etc, there would be no difference. Its the cutoff that needs to be corrected.
Old 3rd May 2013, 19:43   #1674
SDP
Team-BHP Support

There are no easy solutions for the low illumination issue of the low-beam. Heat generated from more powerful bulbs + warranty issues are enough to keep most people off that track. For a vehicle that has made a name for itself by the sheer number of niggles in the early batches, you don't want to introduce additional variables to worry about.

I am staying away from any sort of bulb-upgrades till the vehicle completes 3 years. When the light is not enough, I just switch on the high-beam. Not a good solution, but for the lack of a better one, it would have to do.
Old 4th May 2013, 13:14   #1675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Issue here is not the HID's, its the throw of the headlight. The low beam throw cuts off very close, making it difficult to drive in low beam.
Its the cutoff that needs to be corrected.
Sorry did not follow what you meant by cutoff needs correction? How do you go about that?
Old 5th May 2013, 16:28   #1676
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post

So my car was again at the service centre for 2 whole days, the 3rd time, to sort the issue with the ABS, Hill Ascent/descent and ESP warning lights coming ON. And its still not resolved..

FundaG
did you get a resolution for this? my car is just 3 days old ( covered 890 kms though) and I'm facing the exact same issue except for abs warning. There's no fixed pattern in which the warnings pop up! I just hope its not a new bug that's been uncovered
Old 7th May 2013, 12:48   #1677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajohn View Post
did you get a resolution for this? my car is just 3 days old ( covered 890 kms though) and I'm facing the exact same issue except for abs warning. There's no fixed pattern in which the warnings pop up! I just hope its not a new bug that's been uncovered
I had the exact same problem as FG. Yesterday they fixed it and my SA told me that the connecting wire to that sensor had burnt out and has been replaced. No recurrence of the problem so far, but it's early days. Will report in case it recurs.
Old 7th May 2013, 14:15   #1678
BHPian

Has anyone installed the rear crash guard? One of the folks from Mahindra had told me that customers who had installed rear guard also faced issues with the rear sensor? Any one experience this?
Old 7th May 2013, 16:14   #1679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajohn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
I had the exact same problem as FG. Yesterday they fixed it and my SA told me that the connecting wire to that sensor had burnt out and has been replaced. No recurrence of the problem so far, but it's early days. Will report in case it recurs.
I am yet to send the car back to get it fixed. I will anyway keep in mind the resolution provided to Heavy horse and ask my RM to check it out.

BTW HH, did they mention the reason for the wire to get burnt out. Is it due to some usage pattern or some low quality stuff. Either way three cars in this thread have so far faced this issue. And if it turning to be a common thing and the solution is the connection wire, I believe we have another major issue to be rectified by a recall.

FundaG.
Old 7th May 2013, 22:27   #1680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
I am yet to send the car back to get it fixed. I will anyway keep in mind the resolution provided to Heavy horse and ask my RM to check it out.

BTW HH, did they mention the reason for the wire to get burnt out. Is it due to some usage pattern or some low quality stuff. Either way three cars in this thread have so far faced this issue. And if it turning to be a common thing and the solution is the connection wire, I believe we have another major issue to be rectified by a recall.

FundaG.
No particular reason was given. I had just driven down from Goa. The car had got stuck in the sand and was winched out by the dealer there. They serviced and cleaned up the car after which I proceeded back to Manipal. The trip back was excellent. But after a few days the "pack of 4" alerts showed up. The dealer in Mangalore said that possibly while cleaning up the car / servicing by the other dealer some damage was done to that connecting wire, but this is all speculation, and since the solution was simple, I did'nt bother too much in delving deeper.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks