Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2013, 17:38   #1621
BANNED

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelWizard View Post
I am a bit apprehensive about the stability of the vehicle as i normally touch 130 km/h - 150 km/h on the highways and would like to know how the vehicle responds to sudden braking and swerving.
The XUV, or any other high GC vehicle will not behave like the Swift or any low slung sedan on high speeds. Period.

Having said that, I ve driven the XUV at speeds I cannot mention here at the BIC and other places and must say that is amongst the best crossovers in the country today for high speed highway cruising on all counts and nowhere like the water buffalo that the Scorpio is.
Better tires will certainly help to take its road grip a few notches higher. Headlights are adequately powerful and are the best in its segment.

OT: No offense meant to Scorpio owners since I m one too, and a very proud one at that.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 19:44   #1622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
water buffalo that the Scorpio is
That comparision made me fall from my chair and as I started to correspond to it from my earlier experiences. I will swear by Scorpio, but will agree that it is a 'boat' on the road!
Old 12th April 2013, 20:04   #1623
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelWizard View Post
I am a bit apprehensive about the stability of the vehicle as i normally touch 130 km/h - 150 km/h on the highways and would like to know how the vehicle responds to sudden braking and swerving.
XUV500 being a monocoque can literally be driven and thrown in corners like a car, sure the handling finesse is nowhere as composed as some of the best handling sedans or as agile and flickable as smaller hatchbacks, but the handling is very very safe and predictable. I have already started exploring XUV's handling limits, handling is light years ahead of any chassis based SUV. In some of the corners, it leans a lot less than the lighter Renault Duster, the rear does not want to break out at all. Ask any of the Media guys who attended the BIC event.

This is one SUV with which i do not have to keep the thought of keeping entry speed in check(into a corner) at the back of my mind. I had to swerve to save a biker last week(though he managed to put a scratch on my XUV but no one was hurt), i wouldn't have attempted such a swerve in any of the chassis based vehicles(Innova included). But it's not only the XUV, but most other monocoque SUV's are similar when it comes to road behaviour, they do compromise on some of toughness to offer car like dynamics.

Last edited by .anshuman : 12th April 2013 at 20:06.
.anshuman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 10:24   #1624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
Today when i took my car for a midnight spin, I noticed there is a clear pull towards left and this makes the right hand tired a bit. think it might be just an alignment issue. but read this problem being mentioned here by owners of the first batch too and my car is Oct' 2012 make! don't understand why M&M keep on repeating such silly mistakes batch after batch instead of rectifying it when first known.
This week I drove from Bangalore to Kerala ( about 480 KMs) and around the mid way point I noticed a pain in the right hand. I did not notice any clear pulling towards the left but when I examined the front tyres closely, I observed that left one had worn out a bit more than the right tyre! Now I need to find a local tyre allignment centre to fix this issue. The nearest Mahindra ASS at Calicut and Thrissur are far away from my current location.

-- wind
Old 13th April 2013, 12:30   #1625

Thanks all for sharing your experience and views as it most assuredly inspires confidence in my mind to go ahead. Hopefully will post my experience and views soon.
Old 18th April 2013, 03:10   #1626

Hi guys,

I've been a silent spectator on this forum for a long time and its high time i start actively contributing to it now

I've just booked a W8 FWD (Opulent Purple) model from NBS International in Andheri (W) Mumbai and would like some help and input from current owners.

I've been in love with XUV since day 1 when it launched but I couldnt afford it when it was launched... Well now i finally went ahead and booked it and expected delivery date is 28th April. The test drive experience and the sales experience has been a pretty favorable one with the Sales guy being pretty straight forward and all. Well since the XUV has had a past of some niggles I'd like your help to make my experience and everyone else after me who get the car a easier one.

For the people who've purchased the car I'd request if ya'll can help make a delivery checklist specific to the XUV with the past history of niggles to be checked?? Brakes, infotainment and all kinda things. I plan to give a thorough shakedown checklist before i make sure i drive the car outta the showroom. BTW i saw a display model in the showroom the other day. Verified the VIN number and it has a March 2013 VIN but was still fixed with bosch brakes. I thought mahindra has been going for Galfer V4 brakes. Things like this is what i wanna confirm before i take the cheetah out.

Really appreciate your help.
samsmack86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 09:19   #1627
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsmack86 View Post
Hi guys,

I've been a silent spectator on this forum for a long time and its high time i start actively contributing to it now

I've just booked a W8 FWD (Opulent Purple) model from NBS International in Andheri (W) Mumbai and would like some help and input from current owners.
You can not "contribute" to this thread untill you report a niggle or a solution.
Jokes apart, congratulations for taking the leap and booking the XUV.

Quote:
For the people who've purchased the car I'd request if ya'll can help make a delivery checklist specific to the XUV with the past history of niggles to be checked?? Brakes, infotainment and all kinda things. I plan to give a thorough shakedown checklist before i make sure i drive the car outta the showroom.
If you want to spend a lot of time in doing a PDI, there is a COMPREHENSIVE checklist that has been shared on this thread or the official review thread. Please do search for it. Rest assured that, if you go through it point by point, the PDI would go on for 2-3 hours and would cover all aspects of the vehicle.

If you are looking for something extremely specific for XUV, I would suggest add the following points:
1. Does the vehicle have a tendancy to pull to the left?
2. Do the brakes feel spongy and make a groaning noise just before the vehicle comes to a complete halt?
3. Is the reverse-alarm enabled?

Quote:
BTW i saw a display model in the showroom the other day. Verified the VIN number and it has a March 2013 VIN but was still fixed with bosch brakes. I thought mahindra has been going for Galfer V4 brakes. Things like this is what i wanna confirm before i take the cheetah out.
Galfers are used for the front and the rear ones are still Bosch. Also, there is no reliable information about whether Galfer pads change has been incorporated in the production line.

Last edited by SDP : 18th April 2013 at 09:21.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 10:29   #1628

[quote=SDP;3097851]You can not "contribute" to this thread untill you report a niggle or a solution.

I hope i dont have to report any niggles and i can help only with solutions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
If you are looking for something extremely specific for XUV, I would suggest add the following points:
1. Does the vehicle have a tendancy to pull to the left?
2. Do the brakes feel spongy and make a groaning noise just before the vehicle comes to a complete halt?
3. Is the reverse-alarm enabled?
Galfers are used for the front and the rear ones are still Bosch. Also, there is no reliable information about whether Galfer pads change has been incorporated in the production line.
By the reverse alarm you mean the reverse parking sensor beeps?? I didnt know it had a problem but i will definitely make a check on that too.

Regarding the brakes.. the display model had all 4 bosch brakes. I've asked the sales guy to confirm with me what my car has.

Also wanted to know if the reverse camera is of any use since the reverse parking does do a good job. Contemplating off getting it. NBS international charges 4K for the camera
Old 18th April 2013, 12:28   #1629
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsmack86 View Post
By the reverse alarm you mean the reverse parking sensor beeps?? I didnt know it had a problem but i will definitely make a check on that too.
No, I don't mean the beeps as the car's rear approaches a obstacle. I mean the "reverse-horn" which keeps on blaring as soon as you put the vehicle in reverse and alerts others that your car is reversing.

There is no problem with it. Just that in earlier batches it was not enabled from factory. Not sure the current status if it comes factory-enabled.

Quote:
Also wanted to know if the reverse camera is of any use since the reverse parking does do a good job. Contemplating off getting it. NBS international charges 4K for the camera
The reverse-camera should not be more than 3-3.5K INR. I paid that much a year back and after that the accessories prices have been revised downwards at least 2 times. Negotiate with NBS or talk to some other dealer (G3/GlobalGalerrie).

If you ask me, the reverse-camera is extremely useful and lets you know what exactly are the reverse-parking-sensors barking at.

Last edited by SDP : 18th April 2013 at 12:30.
Old 18th April 2013, 12:37   #1630
BHPian

I have started facing a new issue for the last 1 month with a few of the warning indicators . The Hill ascent, Hill Descent, ESP and ABS warning indicators comes on while driving. And there is no particular pattern or situation in which it can be reproduced. THe service centre folks had a look at the error codes and said it was sorted out. They did a test drive of 18+ kms and it didnt come on. On my way back within 1-2 kms it came on. So took the car back to the service centre. One doubt was the rat. Since I had some earlier issues with the electricals, a general doubt was that the rat must have chewed on some wires and there could be some loose connection somewhere. So the car was taken the following week to have a thorough look at the wires. Was there at the service centre for 2 days and as far as I understand the wires were OK. The vehicle came back with the confirmation the issue was sorted out. Took a test drive along with the Anant Cars driver and all the 4 warning lights came on within 2-3 kms. The driver himself called up the RM and informed him the matter.

As I was travelling to Mysore the next day, I informed my RM that I will send the car once I was back. Still to send and get it sorted. Have been closely observing to see if there is any particular pattern or situation in which the lights come on, but nothing so far. My observations so far
- On my trip to Mysore the next day, the lights came on at around a distance of 120kms. It stayed on for the rest 30+ kms till I reached my destination in Mysore.
- If I switch off the car and restart immediately or say in less than 5-10 mins the warning light come back again within a few minutes of driving

- The lights never came on for the next two days I was there, with some 20 odd kms odd of driving. On the way back it came on within 5-10 kms after I started my return journey and stayed on till I reached Bangalore. The trip meter reading when it came on was 190+ km. So the interval between the last time and this time was 70+kms.

- If the vehicle is started after a few hours, the issue may not come for quite sometime depending on I dunno what. Like say I travel for 15-20 kms daily for the next few days, the warnings may not come at all.

- Had tried driving on some bad roads to see if there was some loose connection and this was the cause, but NO. The lights never came on

- Mostly it came on, while driving on fairly good roads or during stop and go traffic situations requiring some amount of braking.

- The hill ascent/descent works as expected while the light are OFF. But not when the warning lights are ON. Which I believe would be the same with ABS and ESP.

So as of now, there is no specific intervals in terms of km/time or road conditions when the warning lights come on. If it is not a wiring issue or a loose connection would it mean its an issue with the sensors or the CPUs. The technical guy at Anant cars said there were 9 CPU's. The main one costing 40k and the others 25k. And if they go bust due to some short circuit due to rat chewing, then I will have to shell money for it. Else if it is a part malfunction, it would be replaced free of cost. As of now I dont think the particular CPU is bust, cos it works on and off. So my guess is some sort of malfunction or error code. And with no concrete pattern to reproduce it, should I ask for a part replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knsivakumar View Post
Last month, I visited Anant Cars Bangalore.

Also, had false alarms twice - Hill Control ascent warning came on after bumper-to-bumper traffic; Engine warning came on after a short drive in hot weather. Warnings vanished after switching off the engine for tea breaks ;-)
I too use Anant Cars. Who is your RM there. Mine is Rohit who is a fairly good chap and so far had taken care of most of the issues that keeps popping up.

Had checked with him regarding the new brakes but he keeps saying it I have the latest one they had got hold of. The last time I changed the brakes was around 3 months back. So I am pretty sure its not the latest galfer brakes. Did you check out with your RM regarding this. Also next time am there need to check out on the brake pedals mentioned by HCP.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2013, 12:55   #1631
PGA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie
I have started facing a new issue for the last 1 month with a few of the warning indicators . The Hill ascent, Hill Descent, ESP and ABS warning indicators comes on while driving. And there is no particular pattern or situation in which it can be reproduced.
I had a similar problem when I purchased the car last April. The problem was located to brake light microswitch fitted below the brake pedal in the cabin. It had broken body which used to short after a couple of application of brakes and would cause the ABS light to glow and cruise control would disengage and could not be rengaged. No ESP or HH features with me since mine is a W6. The system would reset after shutdown and would reoccur randomly.

I would recommend you get that microswith checked up. The part is common to Scorpio.

Hope it helps!
PGA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2013, 23:27   #1632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA View Post
I had a similar problem when I purchased the car last April. The problem was located to brake light microswitch fitted below the brake pedal in the cabin. It had broken body which used to short after a couple of application of brakes and would cause the ABS light to glow and cruise control would disengage and could not be rengaged. No ESP or HH features with me since mine is a W6. The system would reset after shutdown and would reoccur randomly.

I would recommend you get that microswith checked up. The part is common to Scorpio.

Hope it helps!
Went to the service centre and got the microswitch checked. But it appears to be fine. Also tried engaging the cruise control while the 4 warning lights were ON. And CC worked fine. The RM mentioned the possibility of some water that could have seeped in during the last water service and tried putting some electrolyte spray at the point of ABS connectors. But it dint work. Also post that all the 4 lights are ON through out. Need to inform the RM on this tomorrow incase this results in any further damage. The car is anyway booked for a thorough checkup by Mahindra technical person on next wednesday.

In the meanwhile, I checked on the version of the brake pads currently present in the car. I had replaced my brake pads around 2-3 months back. The RM confirmed it was Galfar brakes mentioning these brake pads were available from Jan 2013 onwards. I thought the Galfar brakes were available only recently. Also checked out regarding the brake pedal mentioned by HCP. IT appears my car (August 2012) belongs to some C batch and all the cars from C batch onwards have the new brake pedal. Its the cars belonging to A and B batches which have the previous brake pedal. So could some one confirm if these is the case for the brake pads and pedal.

Also as part of accessories, wanted to install the chrome door trims that runs across the edges of the doors (not the chrome door handles). Though its mentioned in the accessory brochure for XUV, Anant cars said they have not received this part so far. And have no idea if Mahindra actually has this accessory. So has anyone fitted this. What was the price individually for this.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2013, 23:56   #1633
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
In the meanwhile, I checked on the version of the brake pads currently present in the car. I had replaced my brake pads around 2-3 months back. The RM confirmed it was Galfar brakes mentioning these brake pads were available from Jan 2013 onwards. I thought the Galfar brakes were available only recently. Also checked out regarding the brake pedal mentioned by HCP. IT appears my car (August 2012) belongs to some C batch and all the cars from C batch onwards have the new brake pedal. Its the cars belonging to A and B batches which have the previous brake pedal. So could some one confirm if these is the case for the brake pads and pedal.
Some interesting claims by your RM!

The question is: if the Galfer brake pads and the new design brake pedal is already part of the production line since a few months, why didn't Mahindra include these parts in the recall issued in the first week of Mar'2013?
Old 21st April 2013, 12:22   #1634
BHPian

This is a great thread. I hope someone starts a similar one for the Thar. There are 100s of niggles & solutions posts but they can get difficult to find across different threads!
Old 21st April 2013, 15:59   #1635
Senior - BHPian

The trip meter switch is not working in my brand-new XUV (875kms in odo). I pressed it repeatedly but nothing happening in the ODO. It should change from "ODO" to "Trip A" I presume..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks