Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2012, 17:45   #166
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

OK guys - here is my debut on this Topic:

Got my W6 Black from Sri Durga Automobiles on 5th March 2012. Already done 700 odd kms including all city & highway patches. Drives like a charm, no major issues apart from 2:
a. Infotainment: Major one for a person like me. Imagine I spent almost 35K on upgrading the ICE within first week. However, it starts playing the songs from song no. 1 in the flash drive. INSANE - isn't it ?
b. When I use Random Function - it never goes/ picks songs beyond 200 in number. Will these be removed after firmware upgrade ??
Old 19th March 2012, 17:56   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhileshgrover View Post
Copied from ******************.com forum. Whoosh!! This is scary.

"dear friend's my friend has purchased new xuv500 recently after having driven it for 1500 kms very carefully as it is in running in condition to his utter shock and dismay the front driver side wheel just broke off and car landed on the bumper on informing the dealer india garage bangalore in a matter of 10 hrs they came and took the car on a truck to their showroom as we live about 300 kms from bl'r for repair now it comes down to the fact that a brand new car having such a major fault and very bad quality control delivering such cars to customers who after paying so much money put their family and their lives at great risk kindly advise as to what can be done now my friend say's that he does not want the car he wants a replacement or his money back i can post a video of the car if required 350z pls help it is the same car that had the siren going off in the night without any reason of which i had posted a question in this section"
Ok, I remember reading a car being towed away with a broken wheel around the ORR (if I'm not wrong) - no signs of any accidents. if I remember it correct, it was a grey W8.
So, yes, this is a big concern if a wheel breaks just like this! I'm wondering if this happens to someone on a GQ or an Expressaway ride
Old 20th March 2012, 13:16   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princey View Post
Its shocking to read about so many problems from the XUV.
Wonder what the techies at M&M are doing about solving the many complaints.
Feel it is best to lay off purchasing one for another 6 months at least till the time some solutions are found to -
1. Gearbox
2. Brakes
3. Infotainment system-Error Flashes/Tyretronics/Cruise control
4. Front Shocker thumps
I think even 6 months is a very optimistic guess. If you want a decent car and don't really have time to get the niggles sorted out, wait for 2-3 years. That's about how long it took Mahindra to fix the basic stuff for the initial batch of scorpios. If you can't wait till that long, wait atleast till Mahindra starts exporting the XUV to foreign shores.

Most niggles seem pretty basic but the stuff about brakes and the tyre falling off is scary.
sharninder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2012, 18:32   #169
BHPian

Some of you might remember my short lived Sunny XL vs XUV500 W6 vs Xylo E8 vs Innova GX What-Car thread. The serious quality issues highlighted here put a dent in my confidence levels. I wanted a run-about for my parents, not a run-to-A.S.S.

Edit: The wheel falling off was the scariest bit!

Last edited by SedatedDrive : 20th March 2012 at 19:01.
Old 22nd March 2012, 01:18   #170
BHPian

Hello fellow XUV owners. Yesterday my TPMS showed that the tyre pressure was low I straight away went to the local tyre shop and saw that there was a bulge on the outer side wall of the JKs. I imidiately called up my RM and went to meet JK representative who initially refused to provide warranty as he said that there was a crack from the inside of the tyre. I persuaded to get it replaced and after shelling about Rs. 1800 I was issued a new tyre. I remember mannubhai too had some problem with the JKs.
The tyre shop at karol bagh also told me that the situation will worsen in summers as the JK tyres are hard and are more prone to cracks. So the suggestion to fellow members who are yet to take deliveries is to avoid JKs at any cost.
EDIT: Added pics of the cut and the bulge
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-20120321_181208.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-20120321_181221.jpg  

Last edited by rohitbagai : 22nd March 2012 at 01:41.
Old 22nd March 2012, 16:02   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
BTW would guys still recommend buying an XUV500?
Yes, I would recommend this to any one. Its an awesome car. I have bought it in the first month and besides the Brakes I really haven't even for once repented having bought it, In fact feel lucky for owning it in the month of November and just amazed by the number of heads it turns! The caviar was the price, My on road price was under 15L !

Frankly If you are looking for an SUV, and the budget is 15 to 17 then I guess this is just value for money! There just isent anything that comes close to it.

And from what I know the resale value is just awesome!! That's if some one is selling!
Old 22nd March 2012, 17:35   #172
BHPian

Another issue uncovered in the past few days..

When you are doing speeds above 50-60, I see that the Air-conditioner picks up outside air even if the controls are in internal air circulation mode. I could feel this as I was driving past a lake which generally stinks - Guess what.. the smell crept inside the cabin.

Now.. if the car lets in outside air, the aircon unit also must be working overtime to cool the air in this summer - yet another mileage issue.

Checking with RM, I get to know that few others also complained about this issue & Mahindra is doing nothing about as the number of complaints are few

Is there anyone out there with such an issue?
Old 22nd March 2012, 20:06   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
The tyre shop at karol bagh also told me that the situation will worsen in summers as the JK tyres are hard and are more prone to cracks. So the suggestion to fellow members who are yet to take deliveries is to avoid JKs at any cost. EDIT: Added pics of the cut and the bulge
Why would you even have to pay Rs. 1800 ? It should be covered under warrenty.

And yes avoid JK's at all costs, even Scorpio with JK has similar problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai100 View Post
Yes, I would recommend this to any one. Its an awesome car.
I guess you are the lucky few who got properly QC'd vehicles

Last edited by m_upreti : 22nd March 2012 at 20:09.
Old 22nd March 2012, 20:40   #174
BHPian

It's been 4 months and 5600 kms with my XUV. Since the thread is on the 'niggles', here goes mine.
  1. The steering rack was replaced under warranty in the 1st service since it was leaking.
  2. The water pump is making weird noises and is to be replaced under warranty, part not available for a month now.
  3. Coolant was leaking from the thermostat and for now it has been stopped using 'Araldite' and has to be replaced under warranty, part not available for 1 month here too.
  4. The seat-belt of the passenger keeps hitting the door panel which is very very irritating (when there is no passenger to wear it).
  5. There is a ratting sound from the instrument panel on bad roads.
  6. The wheel-cap design on the W6 model is really crappy, the holding clips on the cap has a tendency to break just on removal, 3 of my caps were broken thus and were replaced by the A**. Have put plastic tags for them now (looks real ugly )
  7. My ipod is shown as "unsupported device" some 40% of the time and plays flawlessly otherwise.
  8. The CD player jumps songs randomly on all kind of road surfaces and sometimes even when the vehicle is stationary.

Last edited by anandtheleo : 22nd March 2012 at 20:41.
Old 23rd March 2012, 00:11   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti
Why would you even have to pay Rs. 1800 ? It should be covered under warrenty.

It's because I have driven it for more than 10,000 km and they say that I will have to pay for 20% of the actual cost of tyre because of that. The initial figure was for 30% but I negotiated and got it down to 20%.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 14th February 2019 at 09:34. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 23rd March 2012, 10:14   #176
Senior - BHPian

[quote=anandtheleo;2723074]It's been 4 months and 5600 kms with my XUV. Since the thread is on the 'niggles', here goes mine.[quote]

OMG, a long list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
It's because I have driven it for more than 10,000 km and they say that I will have to pay for 20% of the actual cost of tyre because of that. The initial figure was for 30% but I negotiated and got it down to 20%.
In that case it is palatable that you paid
Old 24th March 2012, 15:22   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
It's been 4 months and 5600 kms with my XUV. Since the thread is on the 'niggles', here goes mine.
  1. The steering rack was replaced under warranty in the 1st service since it was leaking.
  2. The water pump is making weird noises and is to be replaced under warranty, part not available for a month now.
  3. Coolant was leaking from the thermostat and for now it has been stopped using 'Araldite' and has to be replaced under warranty, part not available for 1 month here too.
  4. The seat-belt of the passenger keeps hitting the door panel which is very very irritating (when there is no passenger to wear it).
  5. There is a ratting sound from the instrument panel on bad roads.
  6. The wheel-cap design on the W6 model is really crappy, the holding clips on the cap has a tendency to break just on removal, 3 of my caps were broken thus and were replaced by the A**. Have put plastic tags for them now (looks real ugly )
  7. My ipod is shown as "unsupported device" some 40% of the time and plays flawlessly otherwise.
  8. The CD player jumps songs randomly on all kind of road surfaces and sometimes even when the vehicle is stationary.
What do I say.. I feel very sad for you my friend. When I went thru my set of issues, I repented buying this car every time I made a visit to the dealership. Guess your list is not shorter than mine. Issues 1 to 3 are serious enough for me.

Going by the different set of issues from different owners, I wonder if the issue is related to only few parts or the car as a whole in terms of QC. Guess Mahindra's suppliers are also not helping them succeed with this new launch.

Hope more prospective owners will go thru threads like this before paying up the advance or subscribing for the LOTTERY
sheelapratosh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2012, 15:56   #178
BHPian

I guess you are the lucky few who got properly QC'd vehicles[/quote]

I feel so too bud. Just surprised with the kind of complaints coming here, Also I was one of the first few to buy it, As in had it on Road first week of November 2011, My cars manufacturing date is Sep according to all the QC stickers. So just wondering after the Huge demand surge did they push production to make more cars hence compromising quality?? just wondering! Having said that i had my share of niggles too which i have posted here but nothing as drastic as a leak or breakdown !

An as far as recommending goes I still stand by it! Small niggles are there in any car as long as they are sorted by the company. For its price I feel this is a steal!
Old 24th March 2012, 17:53   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai100 View Post
I guess you are the lucky few who got properly QC'd vehicles

I feel so too bud. Just surprised with the kind of complaints coming here, Also I was one of the first few to buy it, As in had it on Road first week of November 2011, My cars manufacturing date is Sep according to all the QC stickers. So just wondering after the Huge demand surge did they push production to make more cars hence compromising quality?? just wondering! Having said that i had my share of niggles too which i have posted here but nothing as drastic as a leak or breakdown !

An as far as recommending goes I still stand by it! Small niggles are there in any car as long as they are sorted by the company. For its price I feel this is a steal![/quote]

My car manufacturing date was Nov and so far no major issue... ODO 8000 km although i also reported few niggles but so far all fixed.... only thing which is not fixed are ... (as reported before) the seat-belt of the passenger keeps hitting the door panel which is very very irritating (when there is no passenger to wear it). There is a ratting sound from the instrument panel on bad roads.
Old 26th March 2012, 10:54   #180
BHPian

Faced one strange issue last night:

When I took a break in the middle of a 110 kms long ride & then, started again - AC was throwing hot blown air despite the fact that the temperature was set around 23-24 degrees. When I decided to make it further below it - same story again. Now, when I made it lowest possible (around 17 or 17.5, I guess) - then only it started giving some cool air. Strange, isn't it ??

Even tried to switch off engine & restart it. But in vain !!

At that point of time, I decided to continue with the lowest temperature till I reach my home. Suddenly, after 3-4 kilometers - it was back to normal. Then, I continued with the rest of my journey in 24 degrees till end.

This morning, It was again back to normal.

Anyone has any idea ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks