Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2012, 13:33   #46
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossiter View Post
Thanks for the empathy mate. Wish things were simpler. But I have to admit the service centre and the company are trying hard, just that it's a new car for them as well and there is no fix coming through in a timely fashion.
IMHO, the XUV being a new car is not an excuse for what is obviously poor design, development and quality control. Almost all the owners on this forum have a list of problems with their cars.

It appears that companies like M&M and Tata release vehicles without sufficient development and testing and then do further development at the cost of the customer, who spends endless time dealing with service centres, regional managers etc.

At what point in the life cycle of these vehicles do they become mature products? The Safaris, Indicas, Scorpios are still beset with the same issues more than 5 years after they were launched.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 14th February 2019 at 08:47. Reason: edited post for better readability
Old 19th January 2012, 13:41   #47
BHPian

I was considering replacing my partners Scorpio with the XUV but am a bit doubtful now. I can not understand how these kind of problems are not caught and sorted out at the development stage? How do these cars pass QC once they roll of the assembly line?

I wish Mahindra and for that matter Tata would get their act together and not treat their Customers as testing mules.

USB/Bluetooth/GPS connectivity are relatively minor albeit annoying issues but rusting (on brand new cars), doors that refuse to shut, strange grating noises from transaxles and brake pads with a bunch of Mahindra technicians standing around scratching their heads makes for a rather disturbing atmosphere.

I hope they sort these things out soon (although these should have been sorted before even a single XUV hit the showrooms) and make the XUV live up to the expectations of it customers.
Manuuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 14:14   #48
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Atleast one or two more years before this vehicle settles down in the market. Am glad I didn't take my M&M loyalty as far as buying one of the first "mules" was concerned. I empathise with all those who did though, for what it is worth.
Old 19th January 2012, 14:42   #49
BHPian

Going through the posts, at times I feel im reading about a totally different machine.

Touchwood, mamba is running just fine .

I just finished my 1st service, and am happy
mannubhai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 17:48   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Going through the posts, at times I feel im reading about a totally different machine.

Touchwood, mamba is running just fine .

I just finished my 1st service, and am happy
Do this experiment. WHile going over a speedbump, slot the car into 2nd gear and accelerate normally from 20/25-40. See if you hear the scraping noise from the front LHS. The India Garage TD vehicle also has the same noise, so I'm thinking it's present in all initial vehicles.

If it's not, then rejoice in the fact that you got a car which is absolutely niggle free

PS: What mileage are you getting on your car?
Old 19th January 2012, 20:30   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

On a TD vehicle I found the viper speed initially is fast, then it remains slow and continues the same speed for further cycles. I tried many times and found the same output. Is there anyone experiencing this?
Old 19th January 2012, 22:50   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
IMHO, the XUV being a new car is not an excuse for what is obviously poor design, development and quality control.
Probably the ppl who are testing are not technically sounds ,they might have hired some ppl and asked them to drive around X number of kms and see nothing falls apart .Report if they do . They are not trained to catch such kind of things ?

@rossiter, take the R1 for ride ,that should give some peace to mind .

Last edited by black12rr : 19th January 2012 at 22:52.
Old 20th January 2012, 15:39   #53
BHPian

Has anyone here have any problem with the wheel alignment of their XUV? I sure think I do. There seems to be a grinding noise from the wheels on all roads. Some roads I can imagine due to the gradient tends to produce that sound - but not on all roads. My service guys dont seem to have the alignment details and advise against it. Please do let me know if anyone has got it done.
Old 20th January 2012, 17:11   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavan15 View Post
Has anyone here have any problem with the wheel alignment of their XUV? I sure think I do. There seems to be a grinding noise from the wheels on all roads. Some roads I can imagine due to the gradient tends to produce that sound - but not on all roads. My service guys dont seem to have the alignment details and advise against it. Please do let me know if anyone has got it done.
I did have this problem for couple of weeks, but on 16th Jan got it sorted out at IG whitefield.

had a couple of other issues as well
1. very hard 1st and 2nd gear slotting - Got it fixed
2. Missing rubber cap on top of front shocks - got replaced with a new one
3. Suspect wheel Alignment issues, car tends to go left on straight highways - will get it sorted out on sat 21st
4. Driver side door not aligned due to which Driver side door not locking properly - Mahindra did a shoddy work in the first attempt and even gifted my XUV with a unwanted dent, but still the right door needs some effort for pulling the door. have intimated my RM about this mess, hope he is able to sort it out in the second attempt.

Also while putting the new seat covers on the seats they had broken the back cover board of my xuv which IG has promised to replace once they get the spare.

will keep you all updated after my second visit to IG Whitefield for services.

cheers...
Old 20th January 2012, 17:37   #55
BHPian

I think mahindra should stop deliveries till it has fixed all the reported-so-far issues, if it wants to retain its goodwill. They stopped bookings with a lot of full-page ad tom-tomming; it would be a path-breaking step if they announced they were suspending deliveries to rectify faults. As an Indian, I feel sad that I would shy away from buying an all-Indian vehicle.
Old 20th January 2012, 18:36   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavan15
SKS fixed it on my car. The car and steering is in a straight line, previously the steering was off center and there was a very slight pull to the left.
Old 20th January 2012, 19:35   #57
BHPian

Re: XUV 5OO niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
If that is the case, I feel they have overdone it in my XUV. I cant see the RHS. Its a big dark spot which doesnt cover up even on high beam.
Have you checked if the headlamp levelling switch is set at 0? if it is on 0, try changing it to 2 and 3 - if it further lowers the beam then it could be a lamp alignment problem. If you see no change, its quite possible that its stuck at the lowest position (usually 3).
Old 22nd January 2012, 18:56   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMUDRA View Post
3. Suspect wheel Alignment issues, car tends to go left on straight highways - will get it sorted out on sat 21st
4. Driver side door not aligned due to which Driver side door not locking properly - Mahindra did a shoddy work in the first attempt and even gifted my XUV with a unwanted dent, but still the right door needs some effort for pulling the door. have intimated my RM about this mess, hope he is able to sort it out in the second attempt
Got back the car from IG Whitefield yesterday.

The 2 problems
1. Wheel Alignment issues : Car pulling to left - was sucessfully fixed
2. Door Alignnment issues : Driver side door not closing properly - was sucessfully fixed. this time by some experienced guy.

Was also offered a free wash and an interior cleaning, but just accepted the interior cleaning.

Couple of XUV's and both silver coloured, had come there for accident repairs have taken their snaps will upload it in accidents section.

Also this time around the RM ensured that everything was done to my satisfaction, thanks to him.
Old 22nd January 2012, 20:32   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMUDRA

Got back the car from IG Whitefield yesterday.

The 2 problems
1. Wheel Alignment issues : Car pulling to left - was sucessfully fixed
2. Door Alignnment issues : Driver side door not closing properly - was sucessfully fixed. this time by some experienced guy.

Hey that's good ! So the car pulling is it just an alignment issue? Guess then my service guys should be able to fix it. The first time they just rotated the tyres and said that the problem should be fixed but it hadn't been. Please let me know if there is something else need to be done to fix this issue.

The door alignment ...well good that it got fixed can be quite annoying otherwise.

Also in your previous post I noticed that you had written that the suspension cap was off and you had them replace it. A basic question here. How does one make out if the cap is in place or not? Is it a visual check or something to be done at the service center? Happy though that your issues are fixed one by one

Last edited by khan_sultan : 14th February 2019 at 08:48. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 23rd January 2012, 10:59   #60
BHPian

Re: XUV 5OO niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper_711 View Post
Have you checked if the headlamp levelling switch is set at 0? if it is on 0, try changing it to 2 and 3 - if it further lowers the beam then it could be a lamp alignment problem. If you see no change, its quite possible that its stuck at the lowest position (usually 3).
Viper, Yes I did try that too.

What my RM is telling me is that, its an LED thats obstructing the light throw, and same has been acknowledged by M&M. Surprisingly it doesnt seem to be happening for all XUVs. I cant make out, how thats possible. As of now, there seem to be no solution, as M&M has to get back. Will wait for a few days, if nothing moves, Ill have to ask for a change of the lamp unit may be .

Most Viewed