Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2012, 11:47   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenchhillar View Post
Faced one strange issue last night:

When I took a break in the middle of a 110 kms long ride & then, started again - AC was throwing hot blown air despite the fact that the temperature was set around 23-24 degrees.
=======
This morning, It was again back to normal.

Anyone has any idea ?
Hi Naveen,

I don't feel that it is a cause of worry. How the XUV Automatic climate control operates is that it measures the inside cabin temperature and the outside temperature and then decides whether to switch on the compressor. In this case, what would have happened is that since outside temperature was around 23-24, it probably decided not to switch on the compressor as the cabin temperature setting was set to 24 as you mentioned. This is normal for Auto Climate control systems. However when you changed the cabin temperature setting to 17, it responded with a compressor switchon and started cooling normally.
Nothing to worry!

(PS: I am not sure, but I think that the XUV also has Variable Refrigerant Flow air conditioning (anyone can confirm?), which is the new technology for air conditioning in cars and the refrigerant flow is controlled by a valve, depending on many parameters which the sensors measure (Inside temp, Outside temp, solar load, engine temperature, engine rpm etc). My Yeti has this type of VRF control.)

Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by khan_sultan : 14th February 2019 at 09:35. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 27th March 2012, 22:39   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenchhillar

When I took a break in the middle of a 110 kms long ride & then, started again - AC was throwing hot blown air despite the fact that the temperature was set around 23-24 degrees.
=========

Anyone has any idea ?
Faced similar scenario an hour back. I was in auto mode with temperature set at 21. But there was no air coming out of the vents. Tried stopping and starting, but it was futile. Continued at lowest temperature and it worked fine. Surprisingly it started working fine after an hour or so. These are going to be tough ones to explain :-(

Last edited by khan_sultan : 14th February 2019 at 09:35. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 27th March 2012, 23:29   #183
BHPian

Had a strange issue with my W8/AWD where all the dashboard light were blinking at the same time along with an intermittent beeping noise. The A/c was shut off, the speedo was going nuts and the odo was stuck too. Basically everything electronic was gone. However, everything went back to normal once the clutch pedal was pressed. Mechanically though, the car drove without a problem.

The problem has been rectified (it was diagnosed as the main information cable getting pinched by the clutch), but not before I drove all the way from Bangalore to Chennai. The folks in Bangalore had two opportunities to fix it (two consecutive days right after the delivery date of 19th mind you), but couldn't figure it out. The Chennai guys had people from Mahindra Research Valley come over to the service station and fixed it Saturday night. Quite an experience.

The drive from Chennai to Bangalore on the return was therefore the first time I experienced the XUV in all its glory. It was an awesome drive this time around and I thoroughly enjoyed the car. Good material for an ownership thread I suppose.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 14th February 2019 at 09:36. Reason: edited post for better readability
Old 28th March 2012, 02:59   #184
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to all XUV owners on this forum for the valuable information about the niggles.

I only hope that M&M resolves these issues sooner than later! These sort of issues do no good to the new launch and the company in the long run. I have been a M&M fan for long and sincerely expect the company to be more responsible to the QUALITY that goes into each car.

Our Indian auto companies have become complacent as we have a very lax Law system and customers are the Guinea pigs. They lobby hard and do not let our corrupt governments to drop/reduce the import/customs duties/taxes to allow us access to world class products.

India shining!! Huh!!
Old 28th March 2012, 12:28   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenchhillar View Post

=====

Anyone has any idea ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhileshgrover View Post
Faced similar scenario an hour back. I was in auto mode with temperature set at 21. But there was no air coming out of the vents. Tried stopping and starting, but it was futile. Continued at lowest temperature and it worked fine. Surprisingly it started working fine after an hour or so. These are going to be tough ones to explain :-(
Been having the same issue for almost a month. It happens only during start. Once it starts cooling, then there are no further problems. Have given the vehicle for 2nd service and have told the service engineer about the same. He did not appear to have a clue about this issue. Anyways, waiting to get the vehicle back. Will take some time since there is a bit of body work that need to be done as well.

The other issues mentioned were:
- Alarm going off at random.
- Slight vibration noise from the right front wheel when turning (usually when the steering is turned at 45 degrees)
- Some black greasy material oozing out of the back RHS door (probably related to the power window motor, but was not sure if it should be coming out!)

Last edited by khan_sultan : 14th February 2019 at 09:36. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 28th March 2012, 15:02   #186
BHPian

Gave the vehicle for warranty replacement of the Water pump and the thermostat yesterday. Have got back the vehicle today. Will give feedback on the work done after this weekend, planning to go on a weekend trip to exclusively check for any problems.

Parts cost are as below:

Thermostat - 682
Water-pump - 2803
Old 28th March 2012, 16:17   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perplexed View Post
Been having the same issue for almost a month. It happens only during start.

The other issues mentioned were:
- Alarm going off at random.

I had A/C issues as well, Initially AC did not work at all times, gradually it stopped working. At first the techs at Mahindra suspected vacuum creation issues in the cylinder, emptied and refilled the AC gas. Problem re-occured same day. Next day, they checked the electrical system and replaced a faulty fuse that did not engage the compressor appropriately. Guess that fixed the problem. No problem so far.
My alarm used to go off at random as well. First, they said it was a loose connection that they fixed, when the problem re-occured, they said a particular batch of XUVs had this issue with the software and they had to flash a ECU. They did that and also replaced the sensor under the hood that they suspected as well. have driven about 1000+ kms after that and this issue seemed to have been fixed as well.

Although these niggles, i am pleased with their service attitude and quick turn around times. Been to a 800 km drive over the weekend. The XUV remains steady and sails like a breeze at speeds in excess of 150kmph on highways.
Old 28th March 2012, 16:46   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai100 View Post
Okay guys,here is an update. Today my car went for its first service, and I explained the Alarm going off issue to the RM. He immediately pointed out that the bonnet Switch is the problem and that he will rectify it. Will have to wait and watch if the issue is sorted out.

Cheers All.

Okay Its been almost 15 days after my first service and the car has been fab. The random Alarm issue has been sorted out the culprit was the switch under the bonnet/hood. I also got 3M Sunfilm CS 20% Visibility for sides and 5% for the back. I also got the CR70 Film for the front windshield. As an offer in 3M they also gave me 10% discount on the under body treatment. Will post a detail review on that soon.
Old 28th March 2012, 17:47   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai100 View Post
Okay Its been almost 15 days after my first service and the car has been fab. The random Alarm issue has been sorted out the culprit was the switch under the bonnet/hood. I also got 3M Sunfilm CS 20% Visibility for sides and 5% for the back. I also got the CR70 Film for the front windshield. As an offer in 3M they also gave me 10% discount on the under body treatment. Will post a detail review on that soon.
Great going, keep us fence sitters updated so that we may also risk the next lottery
Old 28th March 2012, 19:08   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Great going, keep us fence sitters updated so that we may also risk the next lottery
Not yet.

1. They have replaced a new model Clutch unit in my car. The new unit seems to be much better compared the ones in all other XUVs(I mean it). This one was designed by R&D after the complaints. I will get to know when this clutch assembly makes to the production line. Will post.

2. Grinding brake noise from front wheels - Brake pad redesigned & they seem to be doing some test runs. I don't have a modified" unit as yet. Only after getting the new pads in my car, will I be able to conclude on the brake issue.

Till these two are resolved, I will prefer my peers sit on the fence rather than becoming guinea pigs.
sheelapratosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2012, 10:22   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Thanks to all XUV owners on this forum for the valuable information about the niggles. ...
I am no XUV owner, but looking forward to own an SUV very soon. XUV was on the top of the list.

After reading through this posts, I really feel we Indians are treated real bad by the automakers. I dont think such a faulty product could be sold in any of the western countries. Even a slightly overheating Ipad3 gets a lots of flak from every quarter, while faults of such an advertised car goes unnoticed. Infact some of the niggles are pukka showstoppers like the brakes, front noise from God knows where, CC malfunction etc. I have not read about any of these issues on XUV in any of the auto mags and hence XUV's comes around as a well executed product.

Believe there should be around 10000+ XUV's on the Indian roads today. And most probably 15-20 owners out here in this post, which is like 0.2%. If these issues are affecting more than 5-10% of the cars then all the affected XUV owners should come out in the open, get some coverage in the media and maybe even file a joint complaint in the consumer court. Only such actions will make the automakers take us customers seriously. End of the day a 12-15 lac car is a 12-15lac car be it from an Indian manufacturer or foreign. Its our hard earned moolah that is going down the drain. When mahindra boasts of so much features in XUV, as a customer I would want them to work properly right from day one and not run around trying to find a solution to somehow make it work . And finally be satisfied by whatever state it is in.

Am sure most of us out here would not mind spending a couple of lacs more on the XUV provided we get a hassle free product with no major "niggles" for atleast 2-3 yrs or say 40-50k kms. Total peace of mind so that we can enjoy our ride to the fullest.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 14th February 2019 at 09:37. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
fundagenie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2012, 11:33   #192
BHPian

When I make my driver side glass window pane a bit open, it constantly gives me ticking sound as if something is knocking there.
Anyone else facing the same issue ?
Old 29th March 2012, 20:06   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelapratosh View Post
Not yet.

Till these two are resolved, I will prefer my peers sit on the fence rather than becoming guinea pigs.
Thanks for the update. I would rather prefer to wait and watch as I had my share of being a Guinea Pig with my Scorpio MHawk.

It took almost an year and replacement of almost every major part including the gear box and the tyres (engine & body excluded ) before I could drive the vehicle in peace.
Old 30th March 2012, 16:16   #194
BHPian

Is the security system provided by M&M (i-CAT, I guess) sufficient or do we need to install something else from market ?

If yes -what are the available options to us ?

Note: Don't want to install a gear Lock as it gets bolted to the base of the car, plus doesn't give that nice appearance.
Old 30th March 2012, 20:19   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
After reading through this posts, I really feel we Indians are treated real bad by the automakers. I dont think such a faulty product could be sold in any of the western countries.

Its our hard earned moolah that is going down the drain. When mahindra boasts of so much features in XUV, as a customer I would want them to work properly right from day one and not run around trying to find a solution to somehow make it work . And finally be satisfied by whatever state it is in.
I fully agree..... we read and hear through media that "Honda/GM/Chevrolet/Toyota has recalled all xyz model in the USA or in UK or in Europe to replace a faulty part they found in that models" Do we hear that in India? Try calling any customer service (not just automobile, for any product) in India, most of the time you will find their attitude "why the hell are you calling us, if you dont like the product, throw it out and buy the product you like" seldom do we feel that because of us buying their product that they have a job. In case of XUV, the whole nation received it with open arms M&M themselves couldnt believe the overwhelming response and all otherand we could see the change in attitude (be it the pricing, quality, customer service, etc...) everything has changed in the second time they opened the bookings.

We were all happy to see an ingenious world class product to match international standards with Indian pricing. Now the economics of "make hay while the sun shines" and "take it if you want, else move on, there are many others waiting for it with cash in hand" attitude is ruling in the minds of the senior management of M&M.

Yes, we are a nation with tolerance, ahimsa, and happy with whatever we get, happy with whatever we are given. If there is any problem, we are taught to live with it, compromise and be happy with whatever we have.

Jai Hind, Jai Ho!!!!!
Jo-G is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed