Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2012, 15:33   #61
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavan15 View Post
Hey that's good ! So the car pulling is it just an alignment issue? Guess then my service guys should be able to fix it. The first time they just rotated the tyres and said that the problem should be fixed but it hadn't been. Please let me know if there is something else need to be done to fix this issue.

The door alignment ...well good that it got fixed can be quite annoying otherwise.

Also in your previous post I noticed that you had written that the suspension cap was off and you had them replace it. A basic question here. How does one make out if the cap is in place or not? Is it a visual check or something to be done at the service center? Happy though that your issues are fixed one by one
Pavan,
the car pulling left was an alignment issue, re-check with your RM and ask him why they just rotated the tyres and did not test the car again. and next time when you get your wheels aligned ask your RM to accompany you so that he too can see if there is any pull so that either way he will be there to acknowledge you.

also the rubber cap that I talked about is placed on top of the shocks, you can see it on top of the shock bolts. this is not a critical part but a good to have one as it avoids the water collecting in that area.
SAMUDRA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2012, 16:35   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMUDRA View Post
Got back the car from IG Whitefield yesterday.

The 2 problems
1. Wheel Alignment issues : Car pulling to left - was sucessfully fixed
Going by some past experience a suggestion: keep a lookout any further unusual pulling / vehicle going off the line (try on a straight empty road with no traffic with a very light hand on the steering)

I had the same experience and the mis-alignment damaged all 4 tyres, Bridgestone report clearly stated that the issue was on account of mis-alignment and the damage was severe enough to lead to an accident. But they refused replacement as it was not a manufacturing defect. Ultimately M&M & A.S.S. contributed 2 tyres each.
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2012, 08:22   #63
BHPian

Re: XUV 5OO niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossiter View Post
Update:

None of the issues I reported, barring the navigation problem have been resolved as yet (I haven't had the time/chance to drop the vehicle at the SVC), and new ones have cropped up.

1) I'm getting a scraping noise from the front left wheel during acceleration from 20-40 kmph. It's like something's holding the wheel
Exactly the niggle I encountered at 1700 kms. Technicians at Koncept Okhla looked baffled at first. They're saying the noise seem to be coming from the turbo and not the brake pads. Can you please share the details of the recourse they took in your case? It might help them identify the problem. Or share the number of the technical lead for your XUV so that they can exchange notes. It'd be very helpful. Thanks.

Note from Team-BHP Support - SMS Language is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

Last edited by Amartya : 25th January 2012 at 08:35. Reason: Kindly avoid using sms'ey language, e.g. u, mite, etc.
Old 25th January 2012, 15:13   #64
BHPian

Re: XUV 5OO niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by inomad View Post
Exactly the niggle I encountered at 1700 kms. Technicians at Koncept Okhla looked baffled at first. They're saying the noise seem to be coming from the turbo and not the brake pads. Can you please share the details of the recourse they took in your case? It might help them identify the problem. Or share the number of the technical lead for your XUV so that they can exchange notes. It'd be very helpful. Thanks.

Note from Team-BHP Support - SMS Language is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.
From what I've seen, 6 out of 10 XUVs (including one TD vehicle of India Garage!) have the same issue. The problem is still unidentified. Will keep you posted if and when these guys find a fix for the issue.
Old 26th January 2012, 17:24   #65

Quote:
Hi, any idea how to access the wiring to the in dash system? Am trying to remove the video lock while the vehicle is in motion.
It is a safety feature. The video system is connected to the hand brake switch, when you release the hand brake the video gets locked. But if you want to remove the lock(I don't suggest you) you can disconnect the wire from the system going to the hand brake and connect that wire to the ground(-ve).
Old 27th January 2012, 01:13   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunmshenoy View Post
It is a safety feature. The video system is connected to the hand brake switch, when you release the hand brake the video gets locked. But if you want to remove the lock(I don't suggest you) you can disconnect the wire from the system going to the hand brake and connect that wire to the ground(-ve).
Sorry, but you're mistaken on this point. The video system is linked to the speed of the vehicle, and has nothing to do with the handbrake.
Rossiter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2012, 16:35   #67
BHPian

Hey all!

Guys, Been following the XUV niggles thread for a while now since I am one of the early buyers of this car too.

Its been three months now and the odo reads 4K+ KMS, As far as niggles concern I have had non so far.

So here is my suggestion to all posting niggles it will be better if we also add info like month of purchase and ODO reading, as this will help other followers to gauge if there car is of the same lot and can check for similar issues.

As far as my car is concerned I booked it on day one and got the delivery in the month of November. I have driven it from Bangalore to GOA and back and did that at blitzkrieging speeds with 5 people 1 Dog and Boot filled with no space for air as well !! The XUV was fabulous! and I enjoyed the ride thoroughly, The only thing I noticed was the TPMS error coming after driving for about 200 odd kms non stop and sudden breaking for the occasional cow crossing the golden quadrilateral where I slowed down from 160 to like 40 odd speed! Now this is not really a niggle coz abroad my friends who have cars with TPMS face similar errors as heat changes the pressure equation!

I have also got scuff plates fitted from Mahindra and they are the Illuminated ones and they too are fab! Now am waiting to hear about some one fitting a reverse camera in Bangalore and want to get that done for my car.

So for me all in all its been a Fab ride so far! (Touch Wood) But I do check updates here and constantly try it on my car if I have the same issue as well. Talk about having The " New Car by Indian Manufacturer Paranoia" lol

PS: I know how much we like seeing PIC's, Find attached a Picture of My Beast @Gingee Fort en-route to PONDY.. And if any of you have taken that route from Bangalore to Pondy then you know how bad that road is! My beast sailed through there though

Cheers !
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-dsc_5395.jpg  

Shai100 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2012, 22:08   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Is there a tendency for the vehicle to pull slightly to the left? I have this and the solution by the RM was to rotate the wheels. I am not too sure that it completely eliminated the pulling. Do you guys face the same problem as well?
I too notice this on my car. went to the workshop and asked the RM and G3 motors to check it out- Reply -Need to leave the vehicle for at least a day!!!!! to check and rectify it.
If that is the case then the wheel alignment shops would have shut down by now! One car per day!!!
Old 28th January 2012, 13:44   #69

Quote:
Sorry, but you're mistaken on this point. The video system is linked to the speed of the vehicle, and has nothing to do with the handbrake.
Ok, but the normal car dvd players works like that only.
Old 29th January 2012, 01:59   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardfdz View Post
Reply -Need to leave the vehicle for at least a day to check and rectify it. If that is the case then the wheel alignment shops would have shut down by now! One car per day!
That's why I choose a Maruti - the Varun Motors service center at Begumpet is where I get my repairs and servicing done despite have other service centers closer to me. I drive in first thing in the morning, the service advisor creates a job card at 8:30am, the mechanics look at it at 9am, and the vehicle is delivered on the same day except if parts are unavailable or the work has to be sub-contracted (for old vehicles).

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunmshenoy View Post
Ok, but the normal car dvd players works like that only.
No, normal (after-market) car DVD players are not linked to the speed, gear, or parking brake. After-market DVD players turn on and turn off at the push of a button so the driver might take his/her eyes off the road to look at the screen. On the flip side, the passenger can watch videos on the DVD player so that's a plus.
k_nitin_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2012, 15:03   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
...No, normal (after-market) car DVD players are not linked to the speed, gear, or parking brake. After-market DVD players turn on and turn off at the push of a button so the driver might take his/her eyes off the road to look at the screen. On the flip side, the passenger can watch videos on the DVD player so that's a plus.
But in your Xuv 500 First impression/Test drive section it is said that the Dvd works only when the hand brake is applied. clarify.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 14th February 2019 at 08:49. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 29th January 2012, 20:22   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunmshenoy

But in your Xuv 500 First impression/Test drive section it is said that the Dvd works only when the hand brake is applied. clarify.
That was correct, but then M&M/Nippon updated the firmware on their infotainment system. Post this update, the video playback depends on the speed.

Even now, only the XUVs which have the first software version play the videos while in motion.
Rossiter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 16:06   #73
BHPian

Folks,

While driving the XUV in the city late yesterday, the Infotainment Display started acting up. There were sevaral dark lines and the display started flickering, eventually turning to dark grey and a dull display (all functions including music, BT worked fine). This lasted for the rest of my drive yesterday. After re- starting the ignition, the display was fine for a few minutes and then the issue re-occered. Called the RM first thing today morning and he directed me to the Nippon team (who handle the infotainment servicing). A Nippon tech showed up in a few hours at home, he carried a fresh display console along with him and replaced it in about 30 minutes. (He did mention this was the first of such case they had). Its working fine for now !

Its a 2012 vehicle and have driven the vehicle for about 800kms, i have noticed the scraping noise occationally as well, but that apart she handles beautifully at speeds over 130kmph. Sometimes the suspention i feel is stiff, but suits my frequent visit to my hometown with the kinda roads. I wish the gearbox was as smooth as my palio, but its much better than dad's swift diesel. Over all, i am totally satisfied with the built quality and handling of the vehicle, for what i have paid. Hope their service focus continues.. way to go Mahindra !
Old 30th January 2012, 22:32   #74
BANNED

Folks, quick info (sorry - did not have the time to correctly quote).

The 2012 Innova VX's in dash DVD player also reportedly play videos only when the hand brake is applied. The Toyota dealer salesperson told me.

Hope the info helps. This is a safety feature!
sdmn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2012, 00:15   #75
BHPian

I was having an issue with just the right rear speaker. With certain songs it gave a crackling sound. After it was checked by the Nippon Engineer/ Technician, he recommended that the speaker be replaced. Some time later NBS called and said the speaker was in stock so I could get it replaced.

Took a day off and drove down and gave the car. I hardly went into the waiting lounge, with a coffeee, went out to check the progress - nobody appeared to be working on it. Asked the RM - A very short while later was told the speaker had been replaced!!!!Shockedd:
Anyway tried it- sounded OK, and as I had to rush for another appointment, signed the paperwork and drove off.

On the way again heard some crackling. Could not turn around due to lack of time. Called up the RM -was told that as the speaker was replaced the Nippon engineer needed to recheck. Spoke to the same Nippon engineer who has checked the system earlier, and as I felt that the speaker was never really replaced, I needed to have the vehicle checked at the workshop by both parties. The Nippon engineer too was concerned and advised that the entire system would be replaced if necessary. So coordinated with both parties and agreed to get it done on Saturday 28th. Land up at NBS see that most of the staff were on leave! the RM too was promoted, so he handed me over to a new guy.

Since I had come all the way, told RM about the vehicle pulling the left, to get it done too. Finally the Nippon technician shows up.
Plays the system bangs on the door panel! dont know what he expected to achive! but finally agrees the speaker needs to be replaced. RM says they have a speaker and will get it replaced.

Mean time will get the alignment done. Car taken out of sight, returns after some time then left wating for the speaker to be replaced! Waited for an hour or so while swapping views/problems with another two Owners. We were running out of patience, then told that the mechanics have gone for lunch. So we all throw a fit! the boss comes out to check out, suddenly RM says that the speaker is not in stock!!! I blew a fuse! dropped a few names from Mahindra.

Suddenly things start to move- speaker is arranged - I then insist and stand over the guys while they open the pannel -my doubts proved correct- that it was never opened before hence no rplacement possible - As the plastic etc inside, including the speaker connector was so hard to seperate! Anyway one smart alec was trying to fit the front speaker - the damn speaker is different- the mounting bracket too are different! So one more shout and the correct speaker is brought and fitted!.

Well Finally got the speaker replaced. Now the sound is clear and quite good I might add! Anyway good enough for me -I dont like loud -just clear music, listen to music from home to office and back!!

So fingers crossed.

So what was the problem of the previous speaker? - well I feel it was badly fitted- which caused damage to the cone rim- there is a wire which connects to the door handle light (red) which may have got caught between the speaker and the door panel- that caused the sound to distort asif the cone was torn.

Rgds

Last edited by khan_sultan : 14th February 2019 at 08:50. Reason: edited post for better readability

Most Viewed