Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2013, 19:37   #1411
BHPian

thank god i bought 2012 Fortuner

I was going to buy Xuv500 in Jan 2012 , but my DAD strictly said NO to mahindra and I endedup buying All new Fortuner 4wd. Now after reading these all problems i really thanked to My dad. Fortuner is a definetly proven Horse.
Old 15th January 2013, 20:31   #1412
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: thank god i bought 2012 Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_trace View Post
I was going to buy Xuv500 in Jan 2012 , but my DAD strictly said NO to mahindra and I endedup buying All new Fortuner 4wd. Now after reading these all problems i really thanked to My dad. Fortuner is a definetly proven Horse.
Very good decision! If you can afford a Fortuner and don't mind the lack of features as compared to lower priced options, it is the best option!

I still admire the Fortuner for its butch looks and reliability.

Jan'2012 was possibly too early to buy the XUV5OO. Quite a few issues in batches from around that time.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2013, 21:13   #1413
BHPian

Re: thank god i bought 2012 Fortuner

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Very good decision! If you can afford a Fortuner and don't mind the lack of features as compared to lower priced options, it is the best option!

I still admire the Fortuner for its butch looks and reliability.

Jan'2012 was possibly too early to buy the XUV5OO. Quite a few issues in batches from around that time.
Well said SDP.

neo_trace, it's all about a balance between price you pay and quality you get.

I guess pretty much everybody on this thread would have bought a Fortuner if we were ready to pay another 8-10 Lakhs.

Or may be an Audi Q5 if we had another 30-40 Lakhs
tachobells is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th January 2013, 02:30   #1414
BHPian

Quote:
Hi there,

I know this isn't a Fortuner vs XUV thread but was surprised to see on my recent trip abroad that the fortuner sells for a meagre INR equivalent of 15 lakhs for automatic transmission. Almost the same as XUV manual. We all know the price in India for the same....

The bloated price may be to match the looks but drum brakes on a 25 lakh plus SUV are a proof of what Toyota still thinks of the Indian customer.

Could list many more such "features" but lets save that for a suitable thread.

The XUV has its shortcomings but for that price no one's really complaining.
Enveee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2013, 08:48   #1415
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enveee View Post
Hi there,

I know this isn't a Fortuner vs XUV thread but was surprised to see on my recent trip abroad that the fortuner sells for a meagre INR equivalent of 15 lakhs for automatic transmission. Almost the same as XUV manual. We all know the price in India for the same....

The bloated price may be to match the looks but drum brakes on a 25 lakh plus SUV are a proof of what Toyota still thinks of the Indian customer.
Though it is here I would slightly disagree on your above statement. We are comparing apples to oranges. When you say that the Fortuner sells for a meagre INR equivalent of 15 lakhs for automatic transmission, could you list the specs please? I am here in Manila (Philippines) & the most spotted car on the Manila roads is the Fortuner (more than the Innovas). To dig the matter further I checked the prices of Fortuner & Innova on Toyota Philippines website & to my utter surprise, the price difference between the similarly specced Fortuner & Innova (both 4x2 G 2.5 Dsl M/T) is under 4 lakh rupees. Yes here the Fortuner is also available in the 2.5 Dsl version (highlighted in green color below).

However for the 4x4 V 3.0 Dsl A/T version of the Fortuner, the listed price is INR equivalent 23,63,146.14, which is very near to our Indian price for similar specs (highlighted in blue color below).

Hope you got my point. The bloated price of Fortuner in India is almost comparable to that in other countries (at least here in Philippines).

p.s: Moderators, please move the above posts to the appropriate thread if required.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-fortuner-vs-innova-price-ph.jpg  

AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2013, 13:37   #1416
BHPian

Hi

Is anyone aware of the change in the Service Intervals for the XUV 500.

A friend of mine wanted to book his XUV500 for the 15K service and has been told by the M.A.S.S. that the service intervals have been changed to every 10K kms by Mahindra from the current intervals of 5K Kms.
Old 16th January 2013, 14:22   #1417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Though it is here I would slightly disagree on your above statement.
=============
p.s: Moderators, please move the above posts to the appropriate thread if required.
Point taken! The price of Fortuner in Phillipines is as bloated as it is in India!

However, my reference was to UAE where the prices are lower. the starting prices are from 1,01,000 AED (15 lakh INR).

comparing apples to oranges (since diesels not available there), the price for UAE HIGHEST specced variants is INR Eq 21 Lakh(4 Lt V6 Petrol, 235HP@5200rpm, 5 speed A/T, 4WD!!!) vs the Indian HIGHEST specced variant price of 23 Lakh (3 Lt 4 Cylinder Diesel, 171PS@3600rpm, 4 speed A/T, 2WD).

Plus there are discounts available

And which one is the apple and which is the orange is anyones call.

may be cars are really cheaper in UAE due to tax relaxations or something of the sort. or may be UAE is the manufacturing base for toyota for the gulf region. Really, have no idea but if the pricing is anything to go by, one would think so.

for more info have a look at the attached pics or visit toyota.ae

apologies again for being off-topic.

Ar.Naved
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-fortuner-uae.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-fortuner-specs-india.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-fortuner-price-india.jpg  

Old 16th January 2013, 14:36   #1418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
Hi

A friend of mine wanted to book his XUV500 for the 15K service and has been told by the M.A.S.S. that the service intervals have been changed to every 10K kms by Mahindra from the current intervals of 5K Kms.
I am informed by customer manager that it is same 5000 km but there is no limit of time. It was 3 months or 5000 Kms earlier.
Old 16th January 2013, 15:39   #1419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
I am informed by customer manager that it is same 5000 km but there is no limit of time. It was 3 months or 5000 Kms earlier.
Send my XUV for running repair as there were quite some work to be done. The RM called me up asking if the 10000kms 2nd service also be carried out as the ODO was 9100kms. When I told her I was planning for a 1500kms trip in 2 weeks time and was intending to do the 2nd service post that, she mentioned it would be better to get it done now. The reason stated was with the removal of time limit, Mahindra has asked dealers to be strict on the kms for servicing. Anything in the excess of 100-200kms than the prescribed km (like 10500kms) could result in lapse of the particular free service. Am not sure how true this is.

A list of repairs to be done on my 4-5 month XUV

- New brakes : The particular service centre had been denying availability of new brakes for quite some time. Got fed up and sent a mail to Mahindra customer care and promptly got a call from the Area manager. And so my brakes are getting replaced with the new ones finally. So a note to anyone who is in the same dilemma, pls get in touch with your Area Manager if required.
- Ignition system to be replaced
- Front left door power window motor to be replaced
- Gear issues : reverse and 2nd gear
- Power steering tightness
- Wheel alignment
- Dashboard rattling noise
- Some engine vibrations when hard accelerating in 2nd and 3rd gears and at 1200-1500Rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enveee View Post

may be cars are really cheaper in UAE due to tax relaxations or something of the sort. or may be UAE is the manufacturing base for toyota for the gulf region. Really, have no idea but if the pricing is anything to go by, one would think so.
As you rightly noted, in UAE prices are low due to tax relaxations. Infact its not jsut Toyota, but for all cars - BMW, Merc, Audi etc. The bigger the car the price difference for the same in India and UAE will be more due to our taxes. If Mahindra launches XUV in UAE , the price would surely be 2-4 lacs less than the Indian prices for the same model. For the price of a Fortuner in India, you could buy a base model Land cruiser in UAE

As such, I dont think there are any manufacturing base for toyota there. UAE is more of an import nation than a manufacturing nation - the advantage of being oil rich.

FundaG

Last edited by fundagenie : 16th January 2013 at 15:50.
Old 17th January 2013, 00:07   #1420
BHPian

Has anyone noticed some uncanny similarities between the Mahindra XUV 500 and the Boeing 787 Dreamliner? Consider this :
  1. Boeing 787 Dreamliner : The most advanced and high-tech product todate from Boeing. Mahindra XUV 500 : Ditto from Mahindra.
  2. Boeing 787 Dreamliner : Designed after many years of in-house research and development by Boeing. Mahindra XUV 500 : Ditto by Mahindra.
  3. Boeing 787 Dreamliner : Success of new product crucial for reputation and future profitability of Boeing. Mahindra XUV 500 : Ditto for Mahindra.
  4. Boeing 787 Dreamliner : Commercial production and launch after thousands of successful flying hours in the sky. Mahindra XUV 500 : Commercial production and launch after lakhs of successful kilometers on the road.
  5. Boeing 787 Dreamliner : Massive hype before and during launch – leading to heightened customer expectations. Mahindra XUV 500 : Ditto.
  6. Boeing 787 Dreamliner : Highly positive customer response leading to overflowing order books. Mahindra XUV 500 : Ditto.
  7. Boeing 787 Dreamliner : Frustratingly large number of niggles discovered in the product by customers. Mahindra XUV 500 : Ditto.

Now, the good news (for XUV owners). Googling “Boeing 787 Dreamliner niggles” yielded 6,400 results. However, Googling “Mahindra XUV 500 niggles” yielded only 2,370 results.

I never believed in naming my cars like pet dogs and so I referred to my brand new XUV 500 simply as ‘XUV’. But now I’ve proudly decided to call my new acquisition the ‘XUV Dreamliner’!
debuda is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th January 2013, 00:28   #1421
BHPian

@Debuda

Dreamliner as a simile for the XUV is perfect.

In that case the failed Airbus Super Jumbo would be the Aria?
Enveee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th January 2013, 12:21   #1422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
Has anyone noticed some uncanny similarities between the Mahindra XUV 500 and the Boeing 787 Dreamliner? Consider this :
  1. Boeing 787 Dreamliner : The most advanced and high-tech product todate from Boeing. Mahindra XUV 500 : Ditto from Mahindra.
  2. Boeing 787 Dreamliner : Designed after many years of in-house research and development by Boeing. Mahindra XUV 500 : Ditto by Mahindra.
  3. Boeing 787 Dreamliner : Success of new product crucial for reputation and future profitability of Boeing. Mahindra XUV 500 : Ditto for Mahindra.
  4. Boeing 787 Dreamliner : Commercial production and launch after thousands of successful flying hours in the sky. Mahindra XUV 500 : Commercial production and launch after lakhs of successful kilometers on the road.
  5. Boeing 787 Dreamliner : Massive hype before and during launch – leading to heightened customer expectations. Mahindra XUV 500 : Ditto.
  6. Boeing 787 Dreamliner : Highly positive customer response leading to overflowing order books. Mahindra XUV 500 : Ditto.
  7. Boeing 787 Dreamliner : Frustratingly large number of niggles discovered in the product by customers. Mahindra XUV 500 : Ditto.

Now, the good news (for XUV owners). Googling “Boeing 787 Dreamliner niggles” yielded 6,400 results. However, Googling “Mahindra XUV 500 niggles” yielded only 2,370 results.

I never believed in naming my cars like pet dogs and so I referred to my brand new XUV 500 simply as ‘XUV’. But now I’ve proudly decided to call my new acquisition the ‘XUV Dreamliner’!

Wonderful comparison Debuda . Where the hell did you get this idea for comparison. Should surely tweet it to Anand Mahindra. It would most probably make his day .

On the google result of 6400 vs 2370, should we be happy or sad considering the Dreamliner is more than 3 times complex and big than an XUV.

FundaG

Ps: Came across this news right after posting

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b.../18056706.cms?

Last edited by fundagenie : 17th January 2013 at 12:26.
fundagenie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2013, 18:09   #1423
BHPian

Quote:
I will get back to you on this. Tomorrow i am giving my Xuv for 4th Service (ODO 20000 / 13 months).

Last edited by Tushargohil : 17th January 2013 at 18:14.
Tushargohil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2013, 18:31   #1424
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post

Its interesting that you mentioned the Dreamliner. I was tracking the Dreamliner development since yesterday morning when Japan grounded their 787 fleet after an emergency landing involving weird smell in the cabin.

At the end of the day when I was driving back, half way through my travel, I noticed a distinct weird smell as if something is burning. You can imagine the first thought that came to my mind.

A quick glance at the dash revealed that the ACC was in fresh-air mode. Switched it to recirculation mode and the odor vanished promptly. Looks like some rubbish was burning by the side of the road. So just a false alarm.

All is well!

Last edited by SDP : 17th January 2013 at 18:34.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2013, 19:53   #1425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushargohil View Post
I will get back to you on this. Tomorrow i am giving my Xuv for 4th Service (ODO 20000 / 13 months).
Thanks! Please get some feedback on if they are continuing with the 15K kms service.

Quote:
My friend had been told that his 15K kms service wil now happen at 20K kms only. I agree with you on the time limit part and I had heard the same but this change of service intervals sounds a bit fishy!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks