Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2013, 06:48   #1381
SDP
Team-BHP Support

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossiter View Post
I don't know whether you jinxed my car SDP, but today my washer motor conked off! Getting it replaced the day after.
Oh, I am sorry to hear that. So you mean, your washer-motor has gone bad for the second time now? That's not good.

Please check with the service center if there is a newer design.
Old 8th January 2013, 18:33   #1382
BHPian

Hi Guy's

Its been more than a Year since I have had the XUV 500. Never faced any major niggles other than the ones reported. However recently I have got one issue which no one has addressed yet.

When I start the car and start driving in second gear at 1500 RPM and 3rd gear at 2000RPM I get this humming or Hauling noise from the engine bay area, This sound usually come right when the turbo kicks in and goes off in few seconds,However if I control the throttle at 1500 RPM an drive at the same speed I can constantly hear the haul.

Now I am some one who has had the XUV for over a year so am not talking about the usual turbo growl. This is an added humm/haul to the usual growl which comes in all xuvs..

Any one else seen/ faced the hauling issue? I was told vacuum modulator might be the issue.... Has any one faced this?

Please update.
Shai100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2013, 09:29   #1383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai100 View Post
Hi Guy's

When I start the car and start driving in second gear at 1500 RPM and 3rd gear at 2000RPM I get this humming or Hauling noise from the engine bay area, This sound usually come right when the turbo kicks in and goes off in few seconds,However if I control the throttle at 1500 RPM an drive at the same speed I can constantly hear the haul.
I can relate it to what I hear in my car. This is definitely not the turbo growl, but a very unhealthy rattle kind of noise. The workshop keep saying it is normal as it is present in all cars

I suspect this has something to do with the engine mount. This was not there when the car was bought, it started appearing after my first 2500 Kms road trip which involves some very abusive roads.
Old 9th January 2013, 10:14   #1384
SDP
Team-BHP Support

A contribution to the thread from my side: My security siren (which is also engaged during reversing) stopped working yesterday night.

I have scheduled a visit to the service center for Saturday 12th Jan for "washer-spray motor not working" problem. Would get even this resolved that time.
Old 9th January 2013, 10:46   #1385
BHPian

Just read this article.

Source : Indian Autos Blog
(originally reported by Cartoq.com)

Quote:
The tweaked XUV500 reportedly features a new braking package which is believed to significantly improve the braking performance which was noisy and spongy as reported by some of the owners. It is unclear as to what sort of improvements are being made to braking system which now uses discs all around with ABS standard on all variants.

The next major improvement is expected on the infotainment system in the high-end variant which also had a few reported grouses and malfunctions, especially in GPS, parking sensor and optional camera functions. The upgraded car will get a reliable and updated version of the infotainment system and voice command system, introduced on the Xylo facelift last year.

Cartoq.com also reports that there are few minor improvements made on the car but no specific information is available in this regard as of now. No changes to the interior and exterior design is expected in the improved model.

The upgraded XUV500 is expected to be launched silently by the end of February and the customers who have already booked the car with a post February delivery slot will be automatically entitled to the upgraded car.
bnzjon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2013, 13:41   #1386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
I can relate it to what I hear in my car. This is definitely not the turbo growl, but a very unhealthy rattle kind of noise. The workshop keep saying it is normal as it is present in all cars

I suspect this has something to do with the engine mount. This was not there when the car was bought, it started appearing after my first 2500 Kms road trip which involves some very abusive roads.
I think I observed this during my first TD and I was really in doubt to buy the vehicle. When I asked salesman, his reply was that this is very normal and it is turbo growl.
When I took second TD after a gap of 1 month, I did not experienced this sound and finally I bought xuv and I don't hear this sound in my xuv ( thank god). I am wondering if it is coming out of turbo after period of few years. It was whistling sound audible after turbo kicks in.
Why don't you show it to SA. If they say its normal, ask them to show the same sound in any new xuv. thats how I refute many of their claims.
avimal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2013, 19:15   #1387
BHPian

XUV HOOTER BREAK-OFF

hi everyone

Its been exactly one year since i bought my XUV from Bhasin Motors, Delhi. I should say that i totally love the XUV for everything it is and also for what its not. having owned mahindras before i never expected a perfect vehicle in the first place! hence i got more than what i expected. definitely value for money keeping in mind all that it has to offer....

I have had my share of niggles, some of which i got solved reading through XUV threads on team-bhp. But this is the first time i am really complaining since what has happened to me could be life-threatening to others and Mahindra need to look into this issue asap.

This is what happened -

After a 400 kilometer journey from my home place indore to bhopal and back, i heard some loud scraping sound coming from the engine bay. I opened the bonnet only to find that the sound was coming from the power steering belt, into which the hooter (for security system) has somehow broken off and fallen!!! It was stuck in the power steering belt and was being sawed off by it slowly. I immediately took the vehicle to the service center which luckily is very near to my home. They removed the engine cover and with much difficulty, pulled out the hooter.

As is quite obvious the hooter was badly damaged as well as the power steering belt which was shredded badly. As i could see, the hooter hadnt come loose as even its mount was broken.... There had to be some impact to break it off from its mount.

I clicked a few snaps of this which are attached. Pardon the poor quality.

I wonder why this happened as the road on which i traveled was silk smooth and the car didnt suffer any bad bumps etc. The hooter is installed very much inside and its very hard to reach so it couldnt just fall off due to some small reason. The service guys were also clueless as to why this happened and immediately replaced both the parts free of cost.

No matter the reason why it happened, i think i was lucky that the power steering belt didnt rip-off while in high speed.

I hope someone on the forum could help shed some light on this. Also wish this doesnt happen to anyone else and was a one-off freak incident.

Ar.Naved.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-hooter1.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-hooter2.jpg  

Enveee is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th January 2013, 23:24   #1388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
I am wondering if it is coming out of turbo after period of few years. It was whistling sound audible after turbo kicks in.
Why don't you show it to SA. If they say its normal, ask them to show the same sound in any new xuv. thats how I refute many of their claims.
Well, my car is just a few months old, done only 8 K now. Even I was pretty happy until few weeks back that the sound is not appearing in my car. Apparently after 7000, KMS it started disturbing me quite often. If it is anything to do with turbo then I should hear the same sound when vehicle is at neutral crossing same RPM range. But I could never reproduce that sound when vehicle is at neutral gear. I suspect it to be either the engine mount or the Dual mass flywheel.

About showing to SA i did show them couple of times, but they are keep saying it is normal, now as you said I will probably ask them to show it on a new car. Thanks.

HCP.

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 9th January 2013 at 23:26.
Old 10th January 2013, 00:21   #1389
Senior - BHPian

I guess even i would have to check on this sound from engine bay since my XUV is also 1 year old. Let me check this today and will report back (fingers crossed).
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2013, 01:38   #1390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
Well, my car is just a few months old, done only 8 K now. Even I was pretty happy until few weeks back that the sound is not appearing in my car. Apparently after 7000, KMS it started disturbing me quite often. If it is anything to do with turbo then I should hear the same sound when vehicle is at neutral crossing same RPM range. But I could never reproduce that sound when vehicle is at neutral gear. I suspect it to be either the engine mount or the Dual mass flywheel.

About showing to SA i did show them couple of times, but they are keep saying it is normal, now as you said I will probably ask them to show it on a new car. Thanks.

HCP.
Hi Shai100,

I get this humming sound too at 1500-1600 rpm when I'm pushing upward, I have never heard a whistling sound and this is there from the beginning.
I may be confused understanding this or identifying the sound, I guess, I will show it to other XUV folks and figure out whether its by design or some issue.

HCP,
Are you sure you are talking about the humming or whistle sound when turbo kicks in? That sound is bit different than what you are talking about I guess. Are you referring to a whining sound when you push the paddle in a high gear, low rpm condition? I guess it was discussed before, SDP can help here, it seems to be DMF, I don't remember the discussion but need to confirm if its by design/expected or not! I observe this whining sound when try to push from low rpm range for 3rd gear (which is most common situation).
EDIT:
Mine got delivered a week or two after HCPs and had seen quite some bad roads so far with odo at 17K+ now. I guess, I will add these couple of things to the list of issues for next service.

Last edited by Ketan : 10th January 2013 at 01:41.
Old 10th January 2013, 08:19   #1391
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enveee View Post
XUV HOOTER BREAK-OFF
...I have had my share of niggles, some of which i got solved reading through XUV threads on team-bhp. But this is the first time i am really complaining since what has happened to me could be life-threatening to others and Mahindra need to look into this issue asap.

This is what happened -

After a 400 kilometer journey from my home place indore to bhopal and back, i heard some loud scraping sound coming from the engine bay. I opened the bonnet only to find that the sound was coming from the power steering belt, into which the hooter (for security system) has somehow broken off and fallen!!! It was stuck in the power steering belt and was being sawed off by it slowly. I immediately took the vehicle to the service center which luckily is very near to my home. They removed the engine cover and with much difficulty, pulled out the hooter.

As is quite obvious the hooter was badly damaged as well as the power steering belt which was shredded badly. As i could see, the hooter hadnt come loose as even its mount was broken.... There had to be some impact to break it off from its mount.

Ar.Naved.
Sorry to hear that episode Ar.Naved. Its really alarming that a part could fall-off with it mount and get struck between some other moving part. As you have pointed out correctly, this is highly dangerous.
BTW, my car's hooter is not working since last 2-3 days. Let me pop up the hood today and check if it is still there or has fallen off somewhere .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Hi Shai100,

I get this humming sound too at 1500-1600 rpm when I'm pushing upward, I have never heard a whistling sound and this is there from the beginning.
I may be confused understanding this or identifying the sound, I guess, I will show it to other XUV folks and figure out whether its by design or some issue.

HCP,
Are you sure you are talking about the humming or whistle sound when turbo kicks in? That sound is bit different than what you are talking about I guess. Are you referring to a whining sound when you push the paddle in a high gear, low rpm condition? I guess it was discussed before, SDP can help here, it seems to be DMF, I don't remember the discussion but need to confirm if its by design/expected or not! I observe this whining sound when try to push from low rpm range for 3rd gear (which is most common situation).
EDIT:
Mine got delivered a week or two after HCPs and had seen quite some bad roads so far with odo at 17K+ now. I guess, I will add these couple of things to the list of issues for next service.
Its interesting that multiple people are reporting this abnormal noise. If one of you could record it somehow and upload it here, may be someone with good ears and knowledge can help out. May be Zappo or Dubuda.

About trying to push the vehicle in low rpms in higher gears, there is a bit of hesitation from the engine that you feel and that gets reflected in the engine's note. The way the gear-ratios are designed, when you upshift from 2nd to 3rd, unless you are well above 2500rpm just before shifting, the rpm drops to less than 1500rpm, which I believe is below the turbo range and the engine does give a different note from that rpm to climb back to the turbo-zone.

Are you guys talking about that sound?

Last edited by SDP : 10th January 2013 at 08:31.
Old 10th January 2013, 08:54   #1392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enveee
XUV HOOTER BREAK-OFF

hi everyone

I wonder why this happened as the road on which i traveled was silk smooth and the car didnt suffer any bad bumps etc. The hooter is installed very much inside and its very hard to reach so it couldnt just fall off due to some small reason. The service guys were also clueless as to why this happened and immediately replaced both the parts free of cost.

No matter the reason why it happened, i think i was lucky that the power steering belt didnt rip-off while in high speed.

I hope someone on the forum could help shed some light on this. Also wish this doesnt happen to anyone else and was a one-off freak incident.

Ar.Naved.
Hi, is this a after market hooter or an OEM one which comes with the vehicle?
Old 10th January 2013, 10:31   #1393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post

Hi, is this a after market hooter or an OEM one which comes with the vehicle?
Its the OEM security hooter/siren which comes with the XUV.

Rgds.
Old 10th January 2013, 11:52   #1394
BHPian

UPDATE ON MY POST:

Hi Guys,

Had sent my car for running repair for the second time and this time too the rep told me that there is no sound. After hearing this since, I Was in electronic city on work, and the car was at BG road (Ananth Cars) I immediately went down to the service station and explained the issue to atleast 3 of the reps finally one guy understood what noise I was talking about and the problem seems to be attended.

Let me explain in detail about the noise:

The sound is similar to that of an altered muffler or cut muffler/exhaust pipe on Old Maruti 800.. The extra Boom or Howl that you hear. This came in at around 1500RPM and went when the car crossed 2000RPM speeds of 25Km/hr to 40Km/hr.

Problem: Faulty Vacuum Modulator and Broken Hose near the Air Filter.
Both were replaced and now the sound has vanished. The hose came off as a clamp holding the air filter had got cut. I wonder how? neways the issue is sorted out.

Another Issue I faced is the rain sensor stopped working. They have changed it and now it works well.

On another note the rep also informed that the XUV is getting new re-designed brake system which all old owners will get as upgrade from some company (she did not know the name but its not BOSCH anymore) So lets hope the "yet another new " ones resolve our problems!
Shai100 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2013, 13:58   #1395
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
UPDATE ON MY POST:

Hi Guys,

Had sent my car for running repair for the second time and this time too the rep told me that there is no sound. After hearing this since, I Was in electronic city on work, and the car was at BG road (Ananth Cars) I immediately went down to the service station and explained the issue to atleast 3 of the reps finally one guy understood what noise I was talking about and the problem seems to be attended.

Let me explain in detail about the noise:

The sound is similar to that of an altered muffler or cut muffler/exhaust pipe on Old Maruti 800.. The extra Boom or Howl that you hear. This came in at around 1500RPM and went when the car crossed 2000RPM speeds of 25Km/hr to 40Km/hr.

Problem: Faulty Vacuum Modulator and Broken Hose near the Air Filter.
Both were replaced and now the sound has vanished. The hose came off as a clamp holding the air filter had got cut. I wonder how? neways the issue is sorted out.
Thanks for the update! Good that you tracked down the abnormal sound and got it resolved.

Quote:
UPDATE ON MY POST:
Another Issue I faced is the rain sensor stopped working. They have changed it and now it works well.

Aren't the rain-sensors integrated with the windshield? Did they change the front windshield?

Quote:
UPDATE ON MY POST:
On another note the rep also informed that the XUV is getting new re-designed brake system which all old owners will get as upgrade from some company (she did not know the name but its not BOSCH anymore) So lets hope the "yet another new " ones resolve our problems!
That's news! Mahindras getting brake kit from another supplier!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks