Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2012, 12:00   #811
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by krreddy View Post
I just don't know why Indian companies have not caught up to the Japanese and the Koreans.
It is the "chalta hai" attitude for everything in india, not just limited to automobiles. Tell me one place which does not have a scam or adulteration or one thing where we can tell proudly, this outshines the world. None i can think of.

Technically speaking, I dont think its difficult for an indian company to recruit Japanese or British or Germans who have experience in setting up plants and processes and make them design for Indian Manufacturers. They can but they will not. The Root-Cause is that In india, the companies look for only "Cost" where-as in other countries "quality" preceeds everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by anm View Post
Hi - please share email/ phone numbers (maybe in PM) of who to run to when the dealer/ a.s.s. is not listening?
Talk to the RM at a M&M dealership OR the customer care. If both fails, Facebook page of XUV should help. FB is monitored by Anand himself.
scopriobharath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 12:35   #812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachobells View Post
Btw, I'm getting a khat-khat noise from the suspension (on potholed roads) as reported by someone earlier. What was the solution here? Change some bushes or the whole suspension assembly? Need to show it to my RM.
Some good news about the khat-khat noise. It's gone!

During the 2nd service, I mentioned this and they replaced a bush in the front suspension stabilizer bar.

Problem solved as of now.

Last edited by tachobells : 10th August 2012 at 12:36.
tachobells is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 12:40   #813
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

During the 2nd service, I mentioned this and they replaced a bush in the front suspension stabilizer bar.

Good to hear that. Can you find out from the RM/Service personnel, what the cause to replace the bush? Some questions like how and why was the bush the root cause for this noise? Was the bush worn out? Next time when they say they replaced something, ask for the old part and just check whats wrong with it.
AlphaKilo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 15:46   #814
BHPian

Quote:

Yes same here, suspension khat-khan noise partially fixed during 2nd service but cabin noise is still there and my RM don't have any clue to fix this.

India Garage (Bangalore) RM/ENG don’t have any clue how to fix XUV500.
Old 10th August 2012, 20:17   #815
BHPian

I have seen an XUV in my apartments with both sides LED park lights conked off. I know that this vehicle is from first batch. Didnt get a chance to talk to the owner.

-HCP
Old 10th August 2012, 20:46   #816
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
I have seen an XUV in my apartments with both sides LED park lights conked off. I know that this vehicle is from first batch. Didnt get a chance to talk to the owner.

-HCP
Seems like the initial batches had a fair number of issues with the headlights. During my visit to the service center two weeks back, I had seen at least 4-5 vehicles getting their headlights replaced. One of them was a black W6 which was there for its 3rd service. For the black one, both the headlight units were replaced. Another white XUV was definitely from the first batch as I had seen it earlier during Nov-Dec timeframe.

There was a huge stock (at least 40 pieces) of headlight units propped up against a wall in the shop-floor itself. So seemed like lot of people from initial batches are facing some or the other problems with the headlights.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2012, 00:00   #817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushargohil View Post
Yes same here, suspension khat-khan noise partially fixed during 2nd service but cabin noise is still there and my RM don't have any clue to fix this.

India Garage (Bangalore) RM/ENG don’t have any clue how to fix XUV500.
Escalate to M&M Customer care or paste on Facebook. They CANNOT wash their hands like this. There is another incident when an XUV developed a niggle in a city where XUV was not launched yet, The RM of the home city, coordinated with mechanics at that city and fixed the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
Yes I Agree with SDP. There are lot of issues with Headlamps, DRLs/LEDs and other electronics too. Anyway they are replaced under warranty
Old 11th August 2012, 11:07   #818
BHPian

Got this one since last two days. The audio system of my W6 has gone dead. I was very optimistic about this vehicle being so successful and I still do so. I am happy as far as there is no mechanical failures and I often wonder why people are so cribbing about this one. I present the case study and my analysis of the problem.

Reason after the problem being observed:
On Wednesday (8th August), I went for team lunch out of my office and it was parked by the vallet parking service of the restaurant. It was parked in the Sun (it was not overcast on that day in Hyderabad). For information, my XUV is sun filmed on the sides with V-KOOL sunfilm with good sun control. But the front wind shield is not filmed. And when it was returned the car was little hot from inside. I checked the dash and the black (soft) was cool, but the center console was very hot. This could be the reason for the failure.

How it behaved afterwards:
Once I got into it, I immediately checked that the FM radio/ USB was not showing up on the display, it was just showing me the clock and climate control. I reached office and by that time it has cooled off a little bit because of AC. I gave a power restart by switching off the ignition and then it started to behave normally. On the same evening while driving back home, I was able to hear FM for about 20 minutes and suddenly I observe that the speaker have gone silent, though the FM station was showing on the display. I gave a normal restart, that is switch off the Audio using the multi-function key (Volume Knob). When I powered up again, to my surprise, I was able to hear the audio from only the left rear channel. Then I fiddled with the EQ and turned the balance to the right then the right rear channel started to work. Then I balanced it and then changed the fader setting to front and now all the channels started working. And the next day it was working fine with out any issues. Event my Samsung Galaxy Tab was working seamlessly through Bluetooth and I was to make call also and also to the music. And yesterday, I want to be on pleasant drive, so I inserted the audio CD of KennyG and what I observed that the CD Reading... display was there till I reached office. With no music, also I am not able to go back to FM/USB. Though the screen is updating whenever I try to mount and USB or CD, it indicates that I have attached it but nothing is happening. The only display I get now is that of Climate Control and Clock. Also luckily I am able to see the backward sensors (no STOP beep though). And the screen hangs on RVRS screen until I turn Climate Control knob to change the screen again. I have informed the RM but he has yet to get back to me with the update. He hasn't seen my vehicle yet.

Analysis: It seems to be design failure, I am doubtful that the components used by Nippon would have been of normal/Commercial grade, the wouldn't have used the Automobile grade/Industrial grade, hence they are susceptible to failure in high temperatures. Also I haven't been using the CD mechanism for long. I will wait for the RM analysis and then I will inform.

But I am really pissed to travel 20KM to get it rectified. They should have some mobile workshop which can do simple things at customer premises. I think it is too much of an ask, but I don't think it is impossible.
Old 11th August 2012, 15:13   #819
BHPian

After waiting for it to sort itself out, I eventually took the XUV to the Dealership today after talking to the RM.

Problem:Turns out that the vehicles from the late batches - May/June, like mine - are facing issues with the door latches. Its either a design flaw or a manufacturing flaw or even a result of some "sticky" grease being used, as a result of which the unlock mechanism gets stuck/unstuck erratically. Quiet a few vehicles from these batches have faced this issue.

Solution: The mechanic opens up the door panel from the inside, unplugs necessary electrical connections, unscrews the latch and takes it out completely. He then uses a synthetic lubricant spray (like a WD 40, but the product was from Wruth) to loosen the latch mechanism up, tests it and then reassembles everything.

Experience: Small, niggle. The fix seems to have worked its charm. So far so good! I am hoping the other doors do not need similar treatment! Imagine getting stuck inside the car in an emergency!!

Quirks of Mahindra service: The mechanic was knowledgeable and experienced. But, he did not have the right tools. He had to hit his philips head screwdriver with a spanner to "seat" it into the slot on the head of the bolts holding the latch in place. Then he used the spanner to turn the screwdriver!! Why not just use a proper ratcheted screwdriver? In the process he ruined (stripped) the slot on the head of the bolt - the next time it needs to be unscrewed, the screwdriver will slip!! I asked them to replace the three small bolts and was even ready to pay for them, but alas, they did not have them in stock! The RM (James) and the technical guy (Majid) were nice and promised to replace the bolts as soon as stock arrived!!

So, as long as you are not shy of building friendly relations through frequent visits to the Mahindra dealership / A.S.S., this vehicle is a great one!
iride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2012, 17:14   #820
BHPian

TPMS to the rescue!

I was able to experience the much maligned TPMS in action last week.

While returning from office , I heard a beep sound and and suddenly TPMS indicated that the pressure is low on my front left tyre.

My initial response was to drive on because I had read often in this forum about the erratic behavior of TPMS. On second thought, I decided to check the tyre pressure manually before proceeding any further. I had an analogue tyre pressure monitor with me and on checking the tyre pressure it indicated a PSI of 24. Since it was late in the night and since my house was only about 10 Kms. away I decided to drive on.

By next morning morning the pressure had dropped to 22 PSI.

Given below are some pics I clicked on the same day before the tyre was repaired.
As you can see, it is very much difficult to determine the pressure drop through a naked eye and had it not been for the TPMS I would have wound up stuck somewhere!

I took the vehicle to a tyre shop and they repaired the tyre by putting in a mushroom tyre plug. The villain in this episode was a tiny screw.

Here are the two niggles I am facing now:

1. There have been some talk in this thread about replacing the vipers with Aerotwin vipers from Bosch. How easy is it to replace the vipers as a DIY job? My vipers are leaving a mark on the glass and even though the marks are not permanent now I would like to stay in the cautious side of things.

2. If the AC is switched on in a non auto mode sometimes it takes at least ten minutes for the AC to start working. In the last instance it happened, the outside temperature was 20 degree and I had set the inside temperature to 18 degrees. It started to blow hot air in the first ten minutes of the drive till the AC came on its own. Has anyone else felt this issue? I must admit that I have not read the manual pages explaining the Air conditioner usage thoroughly. Plan to do it tonight.

-- Wind
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img_0325_a.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img_0326_a.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img_0338_a.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img_0333_a.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by Wind : 11th August 2012 at 17:28. Reason: added niggles
Wind is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th August 2012, 21:04   #821
BHPian

I booked my XUV 5oo W8 white colour with much expectations on 14/7/12 based on the official reviews in Team Bhp and other forums after taking a test drive. Then tried to pull some links to get the delivery faster but it was impossible in Mahindra's case which i should appreciate. Then prepared myself to wait but got an offer to take delivery of a purple one which i refused.

In the mean time i accidentally got to view this niggles page which made me realise that i was waiting for a product which was having so many issues. And stories about clutch failure/brake failures made me worry a lot. Also i came to know that people started cancelling their bookings because of the existing issues and after the launch of Renault Duster. So once again asked the RM about possible delivery date and he said probably next month and he asked if i was ready to take delivery of grey color this time. Once again i refused and asked him to cancel my booking for good.

I had great respect for Mahindra vehicles and was with an impression that TATA was lagging behind Mahindra in terms of build quality and A.S.Service. Also i used to think its better to get a TATA vehicle after one/two years after which the vehicles will be niggle free. But Mahindra seems not far behind in terms of build quality.

TATA AND MAHINDRA THINK INDIAN CONSUMERS ARE MODEL DUMMIES AND PUT IN RISK OUR LIVES TO R&D THEIR VEHICLE. FED UP WITH THE ATTITUDE OF INDIAN MANUFACTURERS. My innova has done 2,57,000 kms which is still perfect without any issues on the other hand i think i can rely on my innova rather than an new XUV 5oo.

Finally Decided upon the Renault Duster which too is having a long waiting time but when i took it for test drive i loved the ride quality which is important in my case as i travel almost 45000 Kms every year. I will be waiting for Metallic graphite grey RXZ 110 PS to be delivered.
Old 11th August 2012, 23:05   #822
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjegadeesh View Post
In the mean time i accidentally got to view this niggles page which made me realise that i was waiting for a product which was having so many issues. And stories about clutch failure/brake failures made me worry a lot....

I had great respect for Mahindra vehicles and was with an impression that TATA was lagging behind Mahindra in terms of build quality and A.S.Service. Also i used to think its better to get a TATA vehicle after one/two years after which the vehicles will be niggle free. But Mahindra seems not far behind in terms of build quality.
I know its too much to go through all 55 pages of this thread. Hope you have at least gone through the last 10-15 pages. The FIRST 15-20 pages are filled with all sort of horror stories of issues faced by owners from the initial batches. But currently, the no. of issues have gone down significantly.

Anyways, I respect your decision and sincerely hope that you get that Innova-like trouble-free ownership experience with the Duster as well.

Last edited by SDP : 11th August 2012 at 23:06.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2012, 14:07   #823
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
TATA AND MAHINDRA THINK INDIAN CONSUMERS ARE MODEL DUMMIES AND PUT IN RISK OUR LIVES TO R&D THEIR VEHICLE. FED UP WITH THE ATTITUDE OF INDIAN MANUFACTURERS. My innova has done 2,57,000 kms which is still perfect without any issues on the other hand i think i can rely on my innova rather than an new XUV 5oo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
I know its too much to go through all 55 pages of this thread. Hope you have at least gone through the last 10-15 pages. The FIRST 15-20 pages are filled with all sort of horror stories of issues faced by owners from the initial batches. But currently, the no. of issues have gone down significantly.
SDP, as you were saying in some early post that too many niggles might scare some of the members. And there you go, you were right.

PJagadeesh sir, I respect your decision of putting your hard earned money where you feel confident, but on the hand, look at the Germans/European cars running in our country. Do you think they are niggle free? Every car has its own share of niggles, and imho, XUV owners and Safari owners are more open in terms of sharing their issues in the open forum. Moreover, XUV is a very brave attempt by the Mahindras to leap into a niché segment of SUV's with lots of gizmos, so initial hiccups are bound to happen. Look at the Pulsars, they had their fair share of issues when they were new in the market(the ones with digital speedo and LED tails) and look how mature they have grown into.

No one is forcing anyone to be the guinea pig, but on the hand I sincerely feel there is no need to feel low about the Indian co's they are trying their best to give whats possible for the money, the customer is ready to pay for!

I'm not comparing the toyotas with mahindras/Tatas. They are different companies managed by different people and catering different markets. For example, toyotas and hondas have great access to european and american markets, where standards and norms are quite high/tough, so naturally that comes down to their products in indian market too.
AlphaKilo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2012, 14:45   #824
BHPian

Sir i meant that Indian Manufacturers Tata and Mahindra launch their new products without doing proper R & D and they rectify the niggles after a year or two. I was not saying German/American/Italian/Japanese cars are trouble free. But brake/clutch failure is some thing which we need to be careful about since it plays an important role putting your safety at risk. No one can deny the fact that Mahindra has provided value for money SUV and it is definetly a great step ahead for them.
I currently own a skoda superb which is notoriously known for its DSG failures so u'll understand i am not a person scared of the problems in vehicles.

Some important factors that played a part in changing my decision were,

1) Problem with the brakes(No confirmed solution yet)
2) Ride quality is bumpy compared to other SUV's in the market.(I was ready to compromise initially but with niggles and the necessity to visit the workshop quite often was not worth compromising on it)
3) Reliability of Electronics in Mahindra vehicles.

I have owned Chrysler/Dodge/Mazda/Ford /Opel/Fiat/Skoda/Mahindra/ Honda/Toyota/Volkswagen/ Chevrolet/Lexus/Benz/Pontiac/ Hyundai/Ambassador/Premier/ Tata/Maruthi/Trax in my 23 years of driving and for the first time i reversed my decision in buying a vehicle.

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th March 2020 at 11:27. Reason: Old post, but editing it to fix a small problem with mobile page formatting :)
pjegadeesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2012, 15:42   #825
BHPian

Quote:
Sir i meant that Indian Manufacturers Tata and Mahindra launch their new products without doing proper R & D and they rectify the niggles after a year or two. I was not saying German/American/Italian/Japanese cars are trouble free. But brake/clutch failure is some thing which we need to be careful about since it plays an important role putting your safety at risk. No one can deny the fact that Mahindra has provided value for money SUV and it is definetly a great step ahead for them.
I currently own a skoda superb which is notoriously known for its DSG failures so u'll understand i am not a person scared of the problems in vehicles.

Some important factors that played a part in changing my decision were,

1) Problem with the brakes(No confirmed solution yet)
2) Ride quality is bumpy compared to other SUV's in the market.(I was ready to compromise initially but with niggles and the necessity to visit the workshop quite often was not worth compromising on it)
3) Reliability of Electronics in Mahindra vehicles.
Yes, the problem with the brakes is there and strangely no solution is in the pipeline. I did purchase one for my company and after driving 1100 km and visiting twice to workshop for the same problem it is not yet solved. No clue to solve it at their end too.
But the overall experience with the vehicle comes with a feeling of awesomeness. How did they achieve such a thing within that price?
The feel of the vehicle, engine, gearbox and all the gizmo's are truly of a high level of acceptance and yes, the vehicle is a joy to ride and make you very satisfied.

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th March 2020 at 11:28. Reason: Old post, but editing it to fix a small problem with mobile page formatting :)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks