Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2013, 11:26   #2311
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
I also had a cracked windshield last month. Happened due to a flying pebble from the Land Rover Discovery 4 that was travelling ahead of me and pulled over to right most lane at 140+ kmph for taking a U turn. There were so much loose gravel close to the median on the newly laid road, and the Discovery didn't have mud flaps on it. Though the crack was very small spot, it was right in front of eye and bit disturbance during night travel, replaced it. Total bill 13500, paid 2K from pocket, since I had Windshield added coverage, which was taken for 200 RS, with this cover will not loose No Claim Bonus for next renewal. Only clause was the claim should only be for the windshield and no other body damage or third party claims. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid12345678 View Post

Had a small incident just a while ago which I like to share with you all. I was doing 60kmph on my CBZ and the road was nice but a bit dusty. My helmet had tinted visors so I opened the lid a bit for better visibility and all of a sudden a Duke 200 overtook me out of nowhere. The tyre hugger was not present on the bike and was kicking behind all the dirt and muck that got stuck to its rear tire. In this process a small piece of gravel hit my right eye and it was so painful that I lost control over my bike for a second but somehow managed to stop. After cleansing my eyes with water, I rode back home. Now the pain has subsided but my eye is a bit reddish. It wouldn't have happened if the tire hugger wasn't removed from the bike. Almost everyone here who owns the 390 should have removed the tire hugger and me myself planned to do so once I get my bike. But now I have changed my mind. I agree to the fact that with the tire hugger in place, the bike may accumulate a lot of dirt in the rains but that shouldn't interfere with the safety of others who use the road the same way we do.
As we all ride the bike, we don't know whats happening behind or the rider behind us is facing any trouble due to our bike. So I think its better to leave the tire hugger where it is as safety always comes first.
Bit OT. Land Rover people overlooked about this issue? Scary if you have bikers following you.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 16:58   #2312
BHPian

Hey Guys,

Long time since I wrote here. Its been 2 Long years of ownership of my XUV and By large its been great 2 Years! I have used the car close to 25K Kms as I have other cars too which take up a big chunk of my city usage.

Well these 2 Years I never faced any Major Niggle and Any other small things like Headlight not working etc were looked at By ASS and replaced immediately.

Last month when I was on a trip to Bandipur On one of those narrow patches. I hit my XUVs mirror to the oncoming Innova and My Indicator Light cracked. I Went to India Garage Bangalore and there I was told that the glass alone can be bought for Rs350-Rs500. I was happy and they said it will take time to get the glass. However Today when I was sending the car for replacing the Glass they told me I cant buy the glass separately need to buy the entire Mirror unit for 9K! now that's just Expensive. I remember Some one mentioning they got just the glass replaced. Any thoughts on how you managed to get the indicator glass only? Alternatively am planning to buy a W6 mirror and remove the indicator glass from there and put it in my Mirror assembly. Am sure the W6 mirror will be cheaper . Comments Please..
Shai100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 21:26   #2313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manipal View Post
I has been very disgusting for me since 2 months. I had written a detailed letter to the customer care about the problem with my vehicle. I..................... Friends please guide me on what else to do from here?
Hello friends
Finally (Phew!!) after many email exchanges and phone calls, the PTU and the drive shaft on the RHS were replaced. This has pulled down the curtain of the oil leak problem in my vehicle. I have covered about 200 kms after the replacement under warranty and am happy to see that there is no sign of the oil leak . But in this ordeal of mine it is clear that the reality in the service center is far from their quality policies what the company has laid down. I had been constantly bringing to their notice (3 times) that not all the screws of the sump guard are placed back, they have not put them back again(Pic attached).
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img_0241.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img_0243.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img_0245.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img_0249.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-img_0250.jpg  

manipal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 10:24   #2314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manipal View Post
Hello friends
Finally (Phew!!) after many email exchanges and phone calls, the PTU and the drive shaft on the RHS were replaced. This has pulled down the curtain of the oil leak problem in my vehicle. I have covered about 200 kms after the replacement under warranty and am happy to see that there is no sign of the oil leak . But in this ordeal of mine it is clear that the reality in the service center is far from their quality policies what the company has laid down. I had been constantly bringing to their notice (3 times) that not all the screws of the sump guard are placed back, they have not put them back again(Pic attached).
Arun good to hear that the oil leak problem has been sorted out. From your entire experience, which you have been kind enough to have kept me briefed throughout, I wish to draw a few conclusions:
1. It seems that on both occasions when the oil seal was replaced, the SC took the entire episode quite casually, especially the second time. Leaving the sump guard bolts unfastened, despite having pointed them out, is an extension of this casual approach.
2. Talking to even the SC owner did not yield the desired results.
3. It was only after we alerted the M&M Regional Manager for Customer Service for Karnataka ( Pratyush Bose 9663568811) , that things started to move. He promptly alerted Mr Jiju, apparently the technical person in charge of Coastal Karnataka, who then contacted Chakan and obtained the parts.
4. M&M apparently has also agreed to reimburse Rs 4000/- the amount incurred to make so many visits to the SC. Has this happened Arun or was it just "hot air" ?
Heavy Horse is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 12:30   #2315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
Arun good to hear that the oil leak problem has been sorted out. From your entire experience, which you have been kind enough to have kept me briefed throughout, I wish to draw a few conclusions:
1. It seems that on both occasions when the oil seal was replaced, the SC took the entire episode quite casually, especially the second time. Leaving the sump guard bolts unfastened, despite having pointed them out, is an extension of this casual approach.
2. Talking to even the SC owner did not yield the desired results.
3. It was only after we alerted the M&M Regional Manager for Customer Service for Karnataka ( Pratyush Bose 9663568811) , that things started to move. He promptly alerted Mr Jiju, apparently the technical person in charge of Coastal Karnataka, who then contacted Chakan and obtained the parts.
4. M&M apparently has also agreed to reimburse Rs 4000/- the amount incurred to make so many visits to the SC. Has this happened Arun or was it just "hot air" ?
Dear Sir
you are absolutely spot on on your conclusions.The reimbursement is yet to be followed up. I was waiting the core problem to be solved and will keep everyone updated once i get the amount promised. My words of gratitude fall short for the support you have been since the time i was in this troubled phase. You made the right start by talking to Mr Pratyush Bose (even before me) and showed me the direction to move ahead. I am yet to communicate back to the M&M as i am waiting to at least cover 500 kms after the replacement and then write to them back with a big thanks.
Old 29th October 2013, 13:40   #2316
BHPian

My vehicle is almost niggle free now <touch wood> for sometime I have a new issue that is not related per say to M&M that has popped up.

I got JK as OEM tyres and thought I would tolerate them for some years as the tyres are expensive to replace. However having run around 9000 kms, couple of tyres have sidewall cracks with absolute no signs of damage anywhere nearby. This shows the poor quality of OEM tyres. Forutnately I am in touch with Kannan from M&M who is helping me a lot in this regard. I am pushing for a tyre replacement for both of them.

However I feel cheated by M&M because of the quality of tyres and vast difference between JK and Bridgestone tyres. Why should one pay the same cost of the vehicle when the price difference between these two is nearly Rs.2000 per tyre. I am really pissed with JK's response also to this whole issue. They claim that for entire Karnataka there is one representative for M&M who has "no time" immediately to inspect the tyres.

I will wait for another day and want to escalate this with M&M any pointers, contacts would be helpful
shrk_18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 21:12   #2317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbhikari View Post
I got the windscreen replaced third time in last two years. The crack was a little spot crack which eventually grew longer over the period of time and needed replacement. My brother in law's XUV too developed a crack.
Mahindra must take note of such inferior quality windscreen glass and provide a better quality instead.
Some of the RM's at the A.S.S will give you a story for such fragile windshield. Its a believe it or not type story.

I had met with an accident during the initial days of my ownership due to the bad brakes. My car hit the one in front during an emergency braking situation. My wife and daughter who were sitting in the front seat (without seat belts ) crashed into the windscreen and the left side had a spider web shatter. I was expecting some serious injuries sbut apart from a slight bump on my daughters forehead, there was nothing else.

So my RM told me the glass was fragile for safety reasons in case of such collisions. In case of a thick windscreen, the glass may not shatter, but the victim could end with serious injuries. In XUV, the windscreen might shatter but the passenger would escape with minor or no injuries. I am not sure if this is a valid reason or not. However, if it is I am ok with the windshield being a little fragile for the very reason my daughter was unscathed.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 21:53   #2318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Some of the RM's at the A.S.S will give you a story for such fragile windshield. Its a believe it or not type story. I had met with an accident during the initial days of my ownership due to the bad brakes. My car hit the one in front during an emergency braking situation. My wife and daughter who were sitting in the front seat (without seat belts ) crashed into the windscreen and the left side had a spider web shatter. I was expecting some serious injuries sbut apart from a slight bump on my daughters forehead, there was nothing else. So my RM told me the glass was fragile for safety reasons in case of such collisions. In case of a thick windscreen, the glass may not shatter, but the victim could end with serious injuries. In XUV, the windscreen might shatter but the passenger would escape with minor or no injuries. I am not sure if this is a valid reason or not. However, if it is I am ok with the windshield being a little fragile for the very reason my daughter was unscathed. FundaG
Is XUV the only car on the globe to sport all such safety features? Only Mahindra knows about technical safety aspects in auto world? They are the only wisest manufacturer who compromise all other aspects for safety of customers? The answer from me to all above is NO. There far far expert and reliable manufacturers producing much bigger/taller vehicles than Mahindra. They are still on road and doesn't (perspectivly) go through such frequent windshield crash.
Old 2nd November 2013, 18:02   #2319
BHPian

How is the service experience of the xuv owners from noida? I think there is only one service center in noida concept automobile in sector 2.
Old 5th November 2013, 10:11   #2320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardfdz View Post
How many here have had their windscreens replaced due to crack(s). Also if it were a toughened glass - why did it not star up instead get a long vertical crack, which became even longer while removing?.
I had the exact issue with my Scorpio a couple of years back, in almost similar position as yours. It started with a small pit (probably after being hit by a pebble) and slowly vertical cracks started appearing. I had the windscreen replaced under insurance and lost the NCB for the next year.

Further on this happened during the monsoons and the fitting by the A.S.S. was so poor that water was flowing in from the entire top portion of the glass, ruining the roofing material and interiors. The glass was then taken off and refitted free of cost by the A.S.S.
Old 5th November 2013, 11:25   #2321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
On hard acceleration, my XUV starts vibrating like all hell broke loose! By vibration, I mean I can hear it and feel some amount of it on the door pads. Is this normal among all XUVs?

The clutch has been abused a lot by the present chauffeur, can the clutch be a reason?
The last time I posted this, I got no response. I am posting it again since I need to know if any members are in the same situation like me -

My XUV has 3 issues all are irritating ones-

1) As mentioned above, I cannot floor the throttle of my car. If I do so, it is accompanied by a harsh resonating sound and vibrations through the entire body, including the boot! The last time I mentioned this to the A.S.S. (Infinity Autolinks), they replaced the air filter (!!!) but as expected, it did not solve the problem.

2) When I rev the car in lower speeds and higher gear (say from 30-40 kmph in 5th gear), I can hear a strange knocking like sound (something like a bolt or chain is loose somewhere) from the bonnet. Again, this has been unsolved.

3) I can hear a noise while idling (something rubbing inside the bonnet). I asked my SA to check if its the siren, but he claims the siren is perfect.

The incompetent A.S.S. of Mahindra just wants to earn quick buck the easy way and are not really interested in solving the issues.
  • Has anyone in this forum faced a similar issue so that I can advise my A.S.S. on what should be done?
  • Can anyone guide to a good/competent A.S.S. in Mumbai? I have been to Global Gallarie (Thane) and Infinity Autolinks (Sakinaka) and both are useless.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 15:08   #2322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbhikari View Post
Is XUV the only car on the globe to sport all such safety features? Only Mahindra knows about technical safety aspects in auto world? They are the only wisest manufacturer who compromise all other aspects for safety of customers? The answer from me to all above is NO. There far far expert and reliable manufacturers producing much bigger/taller vehicles than Mahindra. They are still on road and doesn't (perspectivly) go through such frequent windshield crash.
After reading the below thread where there was some posts on breaking the glass to escape, I think Mahindra just thought about this possibilities when selecting the glass.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-safety-2.html

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 15:20   #2323
BHPian

Quote:
The last time I posted this, I got no response. I am posting it again since I need to know if any members are in the same situation like me -

My XUV has 3 issues all are irritating ones-

1) As mentioned above, I cannot floor the throttle of my car. If I do so, it is accompanied by a harsh resonating sound and vibrations through the entire body, including the boot! The last time I mentioned this to the A.S.S. (Infinity Autolinks), they replaced the air filter (!!!) but as expected, it did not solve the problem.

2) When I rev the car in lower speeds and higher gear (say from 30-40 kmph in 5th gear), I can hear a strange knocking like sound (something like a bolt or chain is loose somewhere) from the bonnet. Again, this has been unsolved.

3) I can hear a noise while idling (something rubbing inside the bonnet). I asked my SA to check if its the siren, but he claims the siren is perfect.

The incompetent A.S.S. of Mahindra just wants to earn quick buck the easy way and are not really interested in solving the issues.
  • Has anyone in this forum faced a similar issue so that I can advise my A.S.S. on what should be done?
  • Can anyone guide to a good/competent A.S.S. in Mumbai? I have been to Global Gallarie (Thane) and Infinity Autolinks (Sakinaka) and both are useless.
I would suggest to have the engine and gearbox mounts inspected. Most likely the vibration is due to the failed mounts.
Sisu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 15:29   #2324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisu View Post
I would suggest to have the engine and gearbox mounts inspected. Most likely the vibration is due to the failed mounts.
Thank you Sisu.

My car is just a year old. If its indeed failed mounts, wont that be covered in warranty?

I googled on a few probable causes and made a list of the following -
  • Loose U bolt / U-joint
  • Failed engine mount
  • Worn out transmission fluid
  • Failed transmission mount
  • Problem in the dual mass flywheel
  • Wheel Alignment and Balancing
I am surprised to see aligment and balancing here, but some member on an int'l forum claims he had a similar problem and it goes solved after alignment and balancing!
Old 5th November 2013, 21:37   #2325
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Sisu.

My car is just a year old. If its indeed failed mounts, wont that be covered in warranty?

Wheel Alignment and Balancing

I am surprised to see aligment and balancing here, but some member on an int'l forum claims he had a similar problem and it goes solved after alignment and balancing!
Well engine mounts are prone to constant flexing (wear and tear) during everyday use so are normally not covered under warranty. That said, no manufacturer designs these mounts to last just 1 year or a couple of thousand kilometers.

If indeed its the failed mounts, I am sure you can put up a case with M&M for warranty replacement.

Regarding the wheel balancing and alignment making to your list, I don't think faulty wheel alignment and balancing would lead to vibrations in the whole car. The vibrations would be limited to just the steering wheel. Moreover, they would be present constantly and not just appear while accelerating.

Hope the above is of help!

Cheeerzz
Sisu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks