Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2014, 15:13   #2431
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by smahesh View Post
If I take my vehicle to IG for example, will I get service /free service, since I bought the vehicle from another dealer?
This should not be an issue. It is just that the dealer from where car was purchased follow up regarding service dates since they have the details with them.
Old 3rd January 2014, 20:11   #2432

Finally got a call from Mahindra Regional Manager informing me that they have contacted Nippon for the issue regarding iphone compatibility with the entertainment system and that Nippon is manufacturing new Silver boxes from end of Jan. Would be replacing my silver box for free. If anyone else is facing the same prob, donot forget to get your silver boxes replaced.
sahil.propel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2014, 16:53   #2433
rlg
BHPian

Joined the group with fused low beam bulb. Lasted 5k odd kms. My driver side bulb was gone. Had read here that it is a difficult job to replace it, but I'm DIY kind and have the tools, so decided to have a go at it. If nothing, the experience will be useful in case I get stranded outstation some time. It was not straight forward, but not too difficult either.

First, the 4 bolts holding the coolant reservoir needs to be removed. Did not need to disconnect any pipes, just pushing it to the side gave enough room to work. Good thing is there are no nuts or washers here that could fall off in case you have to do this after dark. (Same is true while removing washer fluid inlet screws to replace high beam bulb)

Pulled off the rubber cap behind the low beam. There was not enough space to stick my head in and observe what I was doing here. So I took photographs using the phone, studied the layout and the work was done blindly, just by feel. The black connector came off with some gentle wiggling and pulling. The spring clip holding the bulb has two loops. I pushed the bigger loop in and upwards and then released it. It took a couple of tries to release it. It then swung away and bulb was pulled out. Just reversed the procedure to fix it back.

The spare bulbs provided by Mahindra are not the same as the original blue one. There is a difference in colour temperature as you can see in the photo. LHS is original and RHS is the spare bulb.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-coolant_reservoir.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-low_beam_cover.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-clip.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-clip_opened.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-original_vs_spare.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-colour_temp.jpg  

rlg is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 5th January 2014, 20:08   #2434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlg View Post
Joined the group with fused low beam bulb. Lasted 5k odd kms. My driver side bulb was gone. Had read here that it is a difficult job to replace it, but I'm DIY kind and have the tools, so decided to have a go at it. If nothing, the experience will be useful in case I get stranded outstation some time. It was not straight forward, but not too difficult either.
This is a pretty good tutorial. I think I will get a printout and keep it in my car in case I need to replace the bulbs...
So bulb on which side was replaced - left or right? Cos I have noticed during the fixing of the HID kit and bulbs in my car, one side bulbs were slightly difficult to reach. The technician accidentally dropped the spring clip somewhere inside the engine bay while working on one of the lights (LHS if I remember correctly) and had to remove the entire light assembly on the side to finally locate the clip.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2014, 20:25   #2435
rlg
BHPian

FundaG,

This was on the driver side.

Probably the mistake your technician made was to remove the clip altogether. You only need to unhook it from the tab seen on the left side in the picture. The right side acts as a hinge and the spring swings open. There is no chance of spring falling off since it is still attached on one side. Unfortunately I didn't take a picture with the spring in the swung open position. Hopefully the first picture of the clip will help you understand how it works as a hinge.

If you have pictures of the HID installation, please do post it. Did the ballast fit inside the headlamp housing ? Next time, I might go for HID instead of replacing the bulb.
Old 6th January 2014, 15:35   #2436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlg View Post
The spare bulbs provided by Mahindra are not the same as the original blue one. There is a difference in colour temperature as you can see in the photo. LHS is original and RHS is the spare bulb.
My XUV is in the A.S.S. for its 30k service. I had a fused low beam headlight. I complained that its a recurring issue.

The RHS bulb has fused twice in my car. This time, the LHS fused. The SA claims that M&M has come up with new bulbs ('blue bulbs' as he says) and it is a permanent fix to fusing of headlights.

Also, till now the 30k service was just a check up service with nothing to be changed or replaced. The SA says that now M&M has made it mandatory to replace the AC filter every 10k kms.
Old 6th January 2014, 15:47   #2437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Also, till now the 30k service was just a check up service with nothing to be changed or replaced. The SA says that now M&M has made it mandatory to replace the AC filter every 10k kms.
Mine, came off the 30k service this weekend and guess what was changed. The front brake pads. The Air filter was also changed, along with wheel balancing and rear brake cleaning.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 15:49   #2438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
The SA claims that M&M has come up with new bulbs ('blue bulbs' as he says) and it is a permanent fix to fusing of headlights.
Your RM or whoever gave you that info is giving a bucket load of crap. The "blue bulbs" are the stock bulbs on the XUV which are Philips Blue Vision bulbs. There have been issues with this bulb fusing too fast, hence M&M came up with recommendation of using Osram bulbs. These are long life bulbs from Osram ( I have a picture but can't access it now) which has the part number 1701AAA06141N on M&M inventory database. It costs Rs.285 per piece. Before switching over to HID's I was using this bulb after getting the "blue bulbs" replaced as I was not happy with their illumination in rainy conditions. This seemed to me like a warmer color and fared only slightly better than the Philips ones. I will post a picture of the part details when I get hold of it
Old 6th January 2014, 15:53   #2439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
Mine, came off the 30k service this weekend and guess what was changed. The front brake pads.
Again ? Why ? Don't tell me there is a 5th gen
Old 6th January 2014, 15:56   #2440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
Mine, came off the 30k service this weekend and guess what was changed. The front brake pads. The Air filter was also changed, along with wheel balancing and rear brake cleaning.
Ohh. Mine will goto service this month end(At the completion of 34k kms)
Getting a bit worried after reading your post. What was the explanation provided by the RM? Did you face any issues wrt the brakes all this while?
Old 6th January 2014, 15:59   #2441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrk_18 View Post
Again ? Why ? Don't tell me there is a 5th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallik9 View Post
Ohh. Mine will goto service this month end(At the completion of 34k kms)
Getting a bit worried after reading your post. What was the explanation provided by the RM? Did you face any issues wrt the brakes all this while?
I had never been happy with the brake pads. I was told earlier that my Jan 2013 manufactured ones were the latest and are good. But the bite was missing off late and I had some 'close' encounters. The new brake pads are good. Better bite, a little less play. However this was part of the 'wear & tear' category they charged me close to Rs.4000 for it. It's just the rear brakes that were changed.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 19:41   #2442
A.R
BHPian

Finally, got my front windshield replaced at Windshield experts. Cost 9.3k. The Windshield experts guys dirty the interior of the car during removal & replacement of glass, especially the parts behind the windscreen :(
Old 9th January 2014, 19:57   #2443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.R View Post
Finally, got my front windshield replaced at Windshield experts. Cost 9.3k. The Windshield experts guys dirty the interior of the car during removal & replacement of glass, especially the parts behind the windscreen :(
Was it covered in Insurance and if so, how much did you pay from your own pocket? Also was the insurance zero dep?
Old 9th January 2014, 20:03   #2444
A.R
BHPian

100% of replacement cost was covered by insurance. Yes, its a zero dep policy from Bajaj.
Old 9th January 2014, 21:41   #2445
BHPian

"Life is full of surprises, but never when you need one.”
Bill Watterson
Well my XUV 5oo also reinforces that (6508 Km). I happened to open the front grill of my XUV today to survey the area to place a set of Roots vibrosonic horns, scheduled for tomorrow. I was shocked to see that the horns fitted at the assembly line were not fastened at all (both of them) . The attached video is self explanatory. I am sure they would have experienced Newton law of gravity in a short while from now!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks