Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2013, 12:34   #2326
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Further on this happened during the monsoons and the fitting by the A.S.S. was so poor that water was flowing in from the entire top portion of the glass, ruining the roofing material and interiors. The glass was then taken off and refitted free of cost by the A.S.S.
While fixing the screen they use silicon right round the frame. It needs to dry properly- at least 2-4 hours before you drive the vehicle, and at least a 8-12 hours before you can wash/ spray water. Normally the dealer would like to keep the vehicle over night before moving /returning the car.
Quote:
HotChillyPepper wrote:
total bill 13500, paid 2K from pocket, since I had Windshield added coverage, which was taken for 200 RS, with this cover will not loose No Claim Bonus for next renewal. Only clause was the claim should only be for the windshield and no other body damage or third party claims.
Where can I find such a policy. I spoke to my insurance agent - he is not aware- I have "zero dep" which covers glass, plastic etc. and I too paid the deductible (2000/-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
So my RM told me the glass was fragile for safety reasons in case of such collisions. In case of a thick windscreen, the glass may not shatter, but the victim could end with serious injuries. In XUV, the windscreen might shatter but the passenger would escape with minor or no injuries. I am not sure if this is a valid reason or not. However, if it is I am ok with the windshield being a little fragile for the very reason my daughter was unscathed.
If that was the case then why do they have air bags and safety belts?
In your case What happened to the air bags - why did they not deploy?
Also I hope you and the family learnt a valuable lesson- Safety belts are provided for YOUR SAFETY - not to impress the cops!

Last edited by Gerardfdz : 7th November 2013 at 12:35.
Old 7th November 2013, 13:39   #2327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardfdz View Post

If that was the case then why do they have air bags and safety belts?
In your case What happened to the air bags - why did they not deploy?
Also I hope you and the family learnt a valuable lesson- Safety belts are provided for YOUR SAFETY - not to impress the cops!
Gerardfdz, thanks for pointing it out. I very well know seat belts are for ONES SAFETY and not to impress the cops. XUV is not the first vehicle me or my family are using with both these options. But then there are times when you drive on roads close to your home without buckling up and this was one such case.

Regarding air bags not deploying. There are multiple reasons for this which may or may not be correct. The impact was not that severe and I understand air bags deploy only once it crosses a particular level of impact. Else for every other thud the air bags would be deploying. Apart from the glass the only other damage was a broken front number plate so hope that clarifies the level of impact in my case.I totally agree that seat belts surely would have saved the glass.

For the other reason, just quoting an incident I came to know from a friend who is the technical manager at one of the Honda A.S.S . A Honda civic met with a full frontal collision that resulted in some amount of damage. The passengers escaped with some injuries. The owner was pissed out that the air bags didnt work. The service centre guys also was a little confused why it dint work. So they took it up with Honda and this was the response they got. Airbags work only if seat belts are worn as only then will the circuit be complete. Without seat belts on, there is the possibility of your neck snapping during impact with the airbags, since airbags deploy at very high speeds. And since neither the driver nor passengers of the civic were wearing seatbelts at the time of accident, airbags didnt deploy.

Now I am not sure how correct this is, though there was some logic. And maybe airbags would deploy even without the seat belts on, but when the impact of collision is very very high. And the sensors would be doing the job of calculating the level of impact.

So end of the day, I also strongly recommend to wear seat belts irrespective of the fact the car has airbags.

FundaG
Old 7th November 2013, 14:11   #2328
BHPian

There are some questions raised on the safety features in XUV and having tested these unintentionally let me summarize this.
ABS & ECS are a absolute necessity for such a vehicle and they perform flawlessly in a crisis situation. I'm alive and writing this today, which is proof that it did work.
I did and I still crib about the braking efficiency during every day driving, but on that one occasion it worked great.
I haven't or rather I haven't given someone else a chance to test if my airbags deploy or not. However I make it a practice to wear by seat belt and insist on the passenger wearing seat belt as well.
Old 7th November 2013, 14:46   #2329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardfdz View Post
While fixing the screen they use silicon right round the frame. It needs to dry properly- at least 2-4 hours before you drive the vehicle, and at least a 8-12 hours before you can wash/ spray water. Normally the dealer would like to keep the vehicle over night before moving /returning the car.
Black silicon was used and the car was with the A.S.S. after fixing for about 5-6 hours, it might not have dried properly due to the weather.

The second time round they kept it overnight, no issues since then, but the job was real shoddy and I can see the silicon protruding out from the sides..
Old 7th November 2013, 15:12   #2330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I cannot floor the throttle of my car. If I do so, it is accompanied by a harsh resonating sound and vibrations through the entire body, including the boot!
I own an XUV5OO since October 9th. Am yet to pen my ownership experience but I remembered this post from Raj_5004 as I personally observed something very similar. During hard acceleration there is a substantial amount of vibration - and it can be unnerving! While it may not be as pronounced as something that can be felt on the doorpads or boot, it is very much there, and has been right from the start. I have done a little over 1k km and am waiting to make a note of other such issues before the 1st service at 5k km.
Old 7th November 2013, 15:41   #2331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNAWAYAJ View Post
I own an XUV5OO since October 9th. Am yet to pen my ownership experience but I remembered this post from Raj_5004 as I personally observed something very similar. During hard acceleration there is a substantial amount of vibration - and it can be unnerving! While it may not be as pronounced as something that can be felt on the doorpads or boot, it is very much there, and has been right from the start. I have done a little over 1k km and am waiting to make a note of other such issues before the 1st service at 5k km.
I was hoping that nobody else has this same issue, simply because I dont want this to be a common issue with the XUV. The A.S.S. gets an opportunity to say "it happens in all XUVs saar"!

In my car, the vibrations are so severe and irritating that it is impossible to floor the throttle, lest I want a whack on my head from my passengers.

I am planning to give my car to a competent A.S.S. when I get some time.

XUV owners from Mumbai, any good M&M A.S.S. you can recommend?
Old 7th November 2013, 16:12   #2332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
For the other reason, just quoting an incident I came to know from a friend who is the technical manager at one of the Honda A.S.S . A Honda civic met with a full frontal collision that resulted in some amount of damage. The passengers escaped with some injuries. The owner was pissed out that the air bags didnt work. The service centre guys also was a little confused why it dint work. So they took it up with Honda and this was the response they got. Airbags work only if seat belts are worn as only then will the circuit be complete. Without seat belts on, there is the possibility of your neck snapping during impact with the airbags, since airbags deploy at very high speeds. And since neither the driver nor passengers of the civic were wearing seatbelts at the time of accident, airbags didnt deploy.
The Honda engineers are correct. Airbags would not deploy if the seatbelts are not fastened. The Airbag control module has an array of sensors which measure a lot of parameters like the rate of deceleration, panel/bumper deformation etc. Normally these systems work on triple redundancy basis i.e. at least 2 out of 3 parameters need to be fulfilled for the airbags to be deployed.

But there is an override built in the system that prevents the airbags from deploying in case the seatbelts are not fastened. This is because the airbags would do more damage to the occupants than protect in the absence of seatbelts.
Old 7th November 2013, 16:37   #2333
rlg
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNAWAYAJ View Post
I had reported this on my XUV long back. The vibrations were bad initially but reduced a lot after 1000kms. ASC was useless in diagnosing the issue, the test driver screwed up the turbo trying hard accelerations but he pretended he can't feel any vibrations. Since then, I have been living with it as it appears rarely and only on hard acceleration. I don't want the ASC test drivers to mess up the vehicle again. Since you are in bangalore, PM me if you want to compare the issue. Raj_5004's issue sounds more severe however.
Old 7th November 2013, 16:44   #2334
BHPian

Quote:
In my car, the vibrations are so severe and irritating that it is impossible to floor the throttle, lest I want a whack on my head from my passengers.
?
Vibration during acceleration is a sign of wheel misalignment. However a brand new vehicle shouldn't have this issue. Please get this resolved at the A.S.S. MAke sure you get the printout of the wheel balancing/wheel alignment act. They seldom show you the results on paper. But if you stand your ground and inform upfront, they will eventually.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 11:13   #2335
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I am facing a new issue with my Beast. hope fully you can suggest a solution.

1. when riding on clutch engine rpm automatically increases without accelerator being depressed.
2. also while driving when I release the accelerator the car does not decelerate but just continues as though the accelerator is still depressed.

It's pretty scary taking the car out on highways and I have to practically apply brakes to decelerate the vehicle.

PS: I took the vehicle to India garage-whitefield, they could not fix it. looks like they are not sure what the problem is.

Any help on this is appreciated.
Old 8th November 2013, 11:22   #2336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMUDRA View Post
Hi Guys,

1. when riding on clutch engine rpm automatically increases without accelerator being depressed.
2. also while driving when I release the accelerator the car does not decelerate but just continues as though the accelerator is still depressed.

It's pretty scary taking the car out on highways and I have to practically apply brakes to decelerate the vehicle.

PS: I took the vehicle to India garage-whitefield, they could not fix it. looks like they are not sure what the problem is.

1. That is the engine stall prevention mechanism kicking in. This is controlled by the ecu.
2. This also is due to the stall prevention, provided you are experiencing this in the approx 500-800rpm, if this occurs at higher rpms as well, there may be a problem.
Old 8th November 2013, 11:31   #2337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
Vibration during acceleration is a sign of wheel misalignment. However a brand new vehicle shouldn't have this issue. Please get this resolved at the A.S.S. MAke sure you get the printout of the wheel balancing/wheel alignment act. They seldom show you the results on paper. But if you stand your ground and inform upfront, they will eventually.
If wheel alignment and balancing is the issue, shouldn't the vibrations be present at all speeds or atleast a specific speed range like between 50-60 kmph or so.

In my car, irrespective of the speed or gear, the vibrations occur while accelerating only. Also, I think it occurs at lower RPM and higher gear (higher load on engine).

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Have you migrated to the XUV from a petrol engined car? Or a low powered diesel car?

The points you have mentioned are not isses IMHO. I guess the rpm increases automatically to avoid stalling the car. I have to try it in my car though.

Point 2 - car speed in high torque diesel engines will not reduce considerably when you lift off the throttle. The torque of the engine is so much that it continues to coast without any accelerator inputs and you have to rely on the brakes to slow it down.

If you mean, the car does not slow down at all, then are you by any chance accidentally activating the cruise control?
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2013, 01:34   #2338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If wheel alignment and balancing is the issue, shouldn't the vibrations be present at all speeds or atleast a specific speed range like between 50-60 kmph or so.

In my car, irrespective of the speed or gear, the vibrations occur while accelerating only. Also, I think it occurs at lower RPM and higher gear (higher load on engine).

Have you migrated to the XUV from a petrol engined car? Or a low powered diesel car?

The points you have mentioned are not isses IMHO. I guess the rpm increases automatically to avoid stalling the car. I have to try it in my car though.

Point 2 - car speed in high torque diesel engines will not reduce considerably when you lift off the throttle. The torque of the engine is so much that it continues to coast without any accelerator inputs and you have to rely on the brakes to slow it down.

If you mean, the car does not slow down at all, then are you by any chance accidentally activating the cruise control?
This has been reported by many all these years so its not new. It does vibrate when you push it hard, seems that not many people did push it.

Last edited by nitinralli : 9th November 2013 at 01:35.
Old 9th November 2013, 06:56   #2339
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Diesel vehicles have a strong 'tug' that you feel due to the higher torque. Additionally, the XUV does have a dual-mass flywheel which tends to maintain the momentum even after you leave the accelerator.

So, no need to worry. This is perfectly normal and intended behaviour. Once you get used to it, you would start liking the torque.
SDP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2013, 12:09   #2340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
This has been reported by many all these years so its not new. It does vibrate when you push it hard, seems that not many people did push it.
Hi Nitin,

I am talking about a very harsh vibration and resonating sound, right from the dashboard to the boot. I think it should not be a normal behaviour.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks