Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2012, 15:46   #976
SDP
Team-BHP Support

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by redindian View Post
I have an August manufactured W8 - thought I will update on some of the known niggles from previous batches
- Infotainment has one small issue - the volume knob doesn't function as a scroll knob when looking at lists ( songs list or phone calls). Manual says, it should - but it doesn't. Asked the RM about this, he wasn't sure if this is a problem with everyone or not. Software version is the latest
Are you sure it is supposed to work that way? Let me check my manual as well.

As per my understabnding, the up-down arrow buttons (inside red rectangle) are meant for scrolling. They do work.
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-mahindraxuv5oo12.jpg

Besides these there are similar buttons directly on the touch-screen when the song or call-list is more than one page and you can scroll using those controls as well.

With 2 different ways of scrolling already present, I doubt, Mahindras/Nippon would have any incentive to provide another way of scrolling using the rotary volume control. Let me check the manual anyways.
Old 29th September 2012, 15:54   #977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Are you sure it is supposed to work that way? .
Yes, as per the manual.. but again , no big deal, maybe this is something they will fix with the next SW update.

Though, I would love having a scroll know to run thru the songs / contacts list - makes it way more easier than clicking the button or the touch screen
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-manual1.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-manual2.jpg  

redindian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2012, 18:50   #978
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by redindian View Post
Yes, as per the manual.. but again , no big deal, maybe this is something they will fix with the next SW update.

Though, I would love having a scroll know to run thru the songs / contacts list - makes it way more easier than clicking the button or the touch screen
Thanks redindian! Would check it out in my system as well.

Quote:
With 2 different ways of scrolling already present, I doubt, Mahindras/Nippon would have any incentive to provide another way of scrolling using the rotary volume control. Let me check the manual anyways.
With redindian's confirmation, there are THREE ways of scrolling through the list. Mahindras really seem to have over-engineered some aspects of the XUV5OO!
Old 1st October 2012, 00:10   #979
BHPian

Hi all.
Here i am back once again at the XUV500 niggles thread!
My XUV W8 which has run around 4k kms now met with a minor accident around 4-5 days ago. My dad was driving and performing an easy overtaking manoeuvre on a single lane road near our home when suddenly a pedestrian came rushing out of the bushes on the side of the road in a blissfully ignorant manner. The end result? The driver ORVM hit the man, resulting in that being broken, and luckily on hitting the car the pedestrian fell away from the car direction and escaped with minor injuries to his shoulder and knees. It was a miraculous escape for the man and my dad then took him to a nearby doctor who discharged him after giving first aid. Alls well that ends well i say. The effect on my car was-
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-imag0073.jpg

Also after the collision, there was also an error in the Hill-Hold function, resulting in the icon being displayed on the speedometer panel. And pressing the hill-hold button under the ICE display doesn't do anything. I presume that this function will not work until i get it repaired.
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-imag0075.jpg
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-imag0077.jpg

I asked the service manager on phone the next day regarding availability and cost of the ORVM, and according to him the cost of ORVM excluding paint and fitting charges is 7200/-, and it was in stock. I hope i am not getting a raw deal here .
I did not take the car to the a.s.s due to some work commitments and i will take it in about 2-3 days. But to my horror, after 4 days of the incident(today), the ICE system would not shutdown even after killing the engine and taking the key out of the ignition, and all this while touchscreen was on and music played seamlessly! I again called up the service manager and he recommended disconnecting and reconnecting one of the battery terminals to shut down the ICE system and on doing that the problem was solved(although after the incident i tried turning the engine on and off only twice and the system did fully shut down). Another niggle which started today is that upon starting the car, the AC automatically turns on in highest blower position, no matter what the setting was upon previous use, and whether the AC was on or not.
I dont know if the accident is causing all these niggles, but it really gives me jitters to see all these issues in the car and i hope things get sorted out when i give the car for service and accident repair. Will keep this thread updated.
Thanks.

Last edited by abhinavinc : 1st October 2012 at 00:13. Reason: adding text
abhinavinc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2012, 11:08   #980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anm View Post

I am wondering what treatments should I get done. Underbody only? Or something else?
IMHO, the business of underbody treatments, protective coating for upper body paint, engine coatings, etc., is nothing short of a scam. It's a low investment, high margin business and each and every car dealer is into it big time, the main objective being to make the car-owner waste some more of his money (having just signed a cheque for many lakhs to buy a brand new car, spending an additional few thousands appears no big deal to the customer, especially when the smooth talking sales guy convinces him that the additional few thousands are essential to protect his lakhs).

Let us remind ourselves that we are no longer living in the age of ancient Ambassadors and Fiats. Automotive painting technology has come a long way since then. All modern Indian cars receive a multi-stage surface preparation and coating treatment. The entire car body (with doors, bonnet and hatch in place) is immersed in huge tanks containing pickling chemicals which first make the bare metal surface completely free of rust, etc. Other immersion baths apply a highly adherent corrosion-resistant primer electrolytically. Then follow alternate cycles of baking and painting. The final outcome of this elaborate multi-stage process is that all steel surfaces, including nooks and crannies, are provided with multiple layers of long-lasting protection against moisture and oxygen, the two enemies of steel as far as corrosion is concerned.

If underbody and other so-called 'treatments' had been so important, wouldn't the car manufacturers themselves provided it in their million+ Rupee cars? What value addition a few minutes of superficial spraying (that too without proper surface preparation, which is of paramount importance) provide to the hours of high-tech painting provided by the car maker?

I have owned a few cars over the years and I never went for underbody or any other 'treatment' though I dearly love my cars and try to maintain them perfectly. None of my cars (including a 1988 model Maruti 800) suffered any abnormal underbody corrosion though I lived in places like Lonavla (massive rains, almost 100% humidity during monsoons) and Vizag / Bombay (saline environment).

This is my first post on this thread and I'm not feeling too good about this being a bit . But I felt that I needed to contribute my 2 cents on this issue which concerns many people on this thread.

Just to introduce myself on this thread, I booked a XUV W6 on 20.08.12 and am waiting for it impatiently. As far as this 'XUV niggles' thread is concerned, all I can say at this time is that it has robbed me of my night's sleep! The XUV seems like the proverbial Dilli Ka Laddoo -- jo khaya wo pachhtaya aur jo nahin khaya wo bhi pachhtaya!
debuda is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2012, 12:10   #981
anm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
IMHO, the business of underbody treatments, protective coating for upper body paint, engine coatings, etc., is nothing short of a scam. It's a low investment, high margin business and each and every car dealer is into it big time, the main objective being to make the car-owner waste some more of his money (having just signed a cheque for many lakhs to buy a brand new car, spending an additional few thousands appears no big deal to the customer, especially when the smooth talking sales guy convinces him that the additional few thousands are essential to protect his lakhs).
.!
Thanks for your inputs. When I was also considering safari. I talked to an owner and he showed me rust on upper body on just 2 yr old safari. That has shaken my confidence. I didn't get anything done on my skoda and neither did the sales ppl push for it. However my confidence is shaken for tata mahindra after seeing the safari
anm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 14:08   #982
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
With redindian's confirmation, there are THREE ways of scrolling through the list. Mahindras really seem to have over-engineered some aspects of the XUV5OO!
Question is, does it really work that way? I could not make the volume knob to run through the list. It just increases/decreases the volume as expected. Check if it does for you...

Coming to think of it, it sounds difficult to fathom using this knob for the stated purpose anyhow. Till you do not dial the number the music does not stop. If you had to use the knob to scroll how will you control the volume in the meantime? It can't switch functions at whim. I have a hunch that M&M/Nippon realized the issue and dropped that "yet another" feature but the document was already drafted by then. The next review cycle may change that line in the manual as well.

Last edited by Zappo : 3rd October 2012 at 14:09.
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 14:20   #983
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Question is, does it really work that way? I could not make the volume knob to run through the list. It just increases/decreases the volume as expected. Check if it does for you...
No, it does not work that way in my car as well.

Quote:
Coming to think of it, it sounds difficult to fathom using this knob for the stated purpose anyhow. Till you do not dial the number the music does not stop. If you had to use the knob to scroll how will you control the volume in the meantime? It can't switch functions at whim. I have a hunch that M&M/Nippon realized the issue and dropped that "yet another" feature but the document was already drafted by then. The next review cycle may change that line in the manual as well.
I have a different opinion here. The current scroll-up/down implementations (touch-screen + dedicated up/down keys) are both cumbersome. I face huge problems when scrolling through long lists. You are on song #1 and want to hear song #26 instead, then you need to click the down-button 25 times! It would have been better if the touch-screen controls for scroll-up/down work as is and the dedicated up/down keys from the ICE-switch-bank work as page-up/down instead.
That way, I would have to press the button just 4-5 times to go to let's say the listing of 21-27th song and then touch the 26th one to play that one.

Last edited by SDP : 3rd October 2012 at 14:29.
Old 3rd October 2012, 19:17   #984
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
No, it does not work that way in my car as well.
Ok, so thats established then. It does not function that way for anyone. The OP can take relief as then it is not a specific niggle for his car.

Quote:
I have a different opinion here. The current scroll-up/down implementations (touch-screen + dedicated up/down keys) are both cumbersome. I face huge problems when scrolling through long lists. You are on song #1 and want to hear song #26 instead, then you need to click the down-button 25 times! It would have been better if the touch-screen controls for scroll-up/down work as is and the dedicated up/down keys from the ICE-switch-bank work as page-up/down instead.
That way, I would have to press the button just 4-5 times to go to let's say the listing of 21-27th song and then touch the 26th one to play that one.
Amen... your wish is granted!

ok, jokes apart, that is exactly how it functions. And I have posted so a couple posts below. You press and hold the Down arrow key and it starts "pagination" routine, for the lack of a better word. You will find that for list of songs it is just jumping through a page at a time. Once you are on your desired page just scroll to the song you wish to play.

Similarly for Telephone Address Book, press and hold the arrow key and you will start cycling in alphabetical order. Reach the right alphabet and then select the person you wish to call. Simble.
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 19:41   #985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post

Let us remind ourselves that we are no longer living in the age of ancient Ambassadors and Fiats. Automotive painting technology has come a long way since then. All modern Indian cars receive a multi-stage surface preparation and coating treatment. The entire car body (with doors, bonnet and hatch in place) is immersed in huge tanks containing pickling chemicals which first make the bare metal surface completely free of rust, etc. Other immersion baths apply a highly adherent corrosion-resistant primer electrolytically. Then follow alternate cycles of baking and painting. The final outcome of this elaborate multi-stage process is that all steel surfaces, including nooks and crannies, are provided with multiple layers of long-lasting protection against moisture and oxygen, the two enemies of steel as far as corrosion is concerned.
You are absolutely right, but as you say the smooth talking executives convince you to believe that the treatments (underbody, teflon, engine coating) are a must else you may be in for huge expenses. Despite all the intelligence we may display, I have been conned almost every time since in the excitement of purchase the protection of the shiny new toy is of paramount importance when we see it gleaming in the yard.

I stopped short of teflon coating & engine coating in my Scorpio since I had been through the same with no value in my WagonR. Next car I am going to resist even the under body coating.

I was however, still convinced for an engine decorbonisation at 20 K Km service to cure the delayed firing of the engine on ignition, (the executive was too good, in both his service and convincing) needless to say there was no improvement but the executive would have achieved a part of his target

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavinc View Post
Hi all.I asked the service manager on phone the next day regarding availability and cost of the ORVM, and according to him the cost of ORVM excluding paint and fitting charges is 7200/-, and it was in stock. I hope i am not getting a raw deal hereA
After 4 days of the incident(today), the ICE system would not shutdown even after killing the engine and taking the key out of the ignition, and all this while touchscreen was on and music played seamlessly! I again called up the service manager and he recommended disconnecting and reconnecting one of the battery terminals to shut down the ICE system and on doing that the problem was solved(although after the incident i tried turning the engine on and off only twice and the system did fully shut down). Another niggle which started today is that upon starting the car, the AC automatically turns on in highest blower position, no matter what the setting was upon previous use, and whether the AC was on or not.
I dont know if the accident is causing all these niggles, but it really gives me jitters to see all these issues in the car and i hope things get sorted out when i give the car for service and accident repair. Will keep this thread updated.
Here I am on the verge of booking the XUV and this, it gives me jitters to see the after effects of an ORVM getting broken, could be something on account of wires getting shorted. The cost of the mirror is also prohibitive.

Last edited by m_upreti : 3rd October 2012 at 19:46.
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 20:58   #986
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
...ok, jokes apart, that is exactly how it functions. And I have posted so a couple posts below. You press and hold the Down arrow key and it starts "pagination" routine, for the lack of a better word. You will find that for list of songs it is just jumping through a page at a time. Once you are on your desired page just scroll to the song you wish to play.

Similarly for Telephone Address Book, press and hold the arrow key and you will start cycling in alphabetical order. Reach the right alphabet and then select the person you wish to call. Simble.
Zappo, thanks. I do remember reading it the first time, but somehow did not register/comprehend

Now with your detailed explanations, make perfect sense! Tried it during the drive back home and it works as explained.

I learnt something new today. Thanks for solving one of my problems.

Last edited by SDP : 3rd October 2012 at 21:00.
Old 3rd October 2012, 23:50   #987
BHPian

XUV Owners in Bangalore :
- Which are the authorized service centers for the XUV in Bangalore ?
- Any issues with these service centers ?
Old 4th October 2012, 10:35   #988
BHPian

Anyone got a solution to the reflection of the silver bands on the dashboard? please post pictures if you do.
This is quite irritating especially on a sunny day.
Old 4th October 2012, 12:22   #989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialist78 View Post
My XUV is just about two weeks old, and I am already getting a taste of things to come with Mahindra. Sterling Motors' workshop in Gurgaon has been extremely unprofessional and I am having to spend entire days away from work running after them to get niggles fixed on this brand new vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moleculez View Post
My XUV is almost 17k kms done and was driving it to New mumbai from chembur. After approx 10 kms of drive as i crossed the Vashi toll plaza I hit the clutch to shift the the gears and the pedal just went in! Empty pedal!
The cluth might give away anytime as it shows no symtoms what so ever before just giving up on you. I know it sounds scary but it is true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksantosh View Post
All,

I just wish, Anand Mahindra had access to this forum and he read through some of these posts and put some sensible Managers to resolve the Issues faced by XUV Owners, or is everyone too busy with the up coming launch of Rexter?
Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
Is there anyone with September manufactured xuv 5OO? Are niggles really going down month by month. Have they solved clutch and brake problems at production line? I am keeping my fingers crossed as I have booked one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moleculez View Post
The car was towed on 17th September and i got it back on 24th September evening. ONLY clutch replacement was done. As per the RM it takes 2 full days for 3 people to replace the clutch assembly.

Also I saw 3 more cars waiting for the clutch replacement. Apparently my car is from the first batch and its called the B6 batch. The maximum problems they have been coming across are from this batch. So i guess you guys get check if your car is from the same lot.
Quote:

Recently I noticed that while accelerating at certain RPM the noise from the engine reaches a crescendo, almost like another couple of noise sources ganged up together all of a sudden to increase the decibel levels. It again goes down above the RPM. But I dont think it happens for any particular gear as such.
I came across this XUV niggles thread recently and started reading it page by page. I got so shocked by the kind of serious defects (which definitely can’t be categorized as ‘niggles’) that I went through the entire 66 pages of this thread over a couple of days (and nights!), reading it non-stop like a horror story. I had good personal reason to be horrified -- I have booked a XUV myself!

Over the decades, I have driven several Indian cars, some as basic as the Ambassador or Maruti-800. But never before had I heard of so many instances of the clutch pedal suddenly going limp and dead, that too in expensive brand new cars with just a few thousand km on the odometer. I mean, is this some kind of a joke? It’s a highly serious catastrophic failure, and I’m told this is happening in scores (maybe hundreds) of XUVs. There is no recall by M&M nor is any technical explanation being offered to hapless XUV owners as to the reason for such failure. Even though M&M are replacing the failed clutches, what guarantee do other XUV owners have that their clutches too won’t go kaput any time? Also, are the replaced clutches foolproof?

On TBHP and elsewhere I have come across scores of complaints from XUV owners about their brake pads / discs being replaced with parts of modified design even 3 times, but the main problem still not getting rectified. Are we dealing with a reputed car maker or a roadside mechanic trying to fix problems through jugaad and trial & error? Furthermore, is some rocket science involved in disc brakes? Disc brake technology has been around for generations and one would think that unless there is a major design goof-up by M&M, rectification of such problems should not take so much of trial & error. Even ABS / EBD have been around for donkey’s years. For all we know, M&M is barking up the wrong tree by simply concentrating on the brake pads and the root cause lies elsewhere which they are afraid to admit.

Apart from clutch and brake issues, there are numerous other defects in brand new XUVs, such as (this list is far from comprehensive):
  1. Abnormal noises from suspension.
  2. Windshields getting scratched and ruined due to defective wipers.
  3. Doors not closing properly; squeaks from doors / rear hatch.
  4. Wheels getting misaligned; tyres getting worn out rapidly.
  5. LED’s in headlights going kaput.
  6. Problems with headlight beam coverage.
  7. Sub-standard music system.
  8. Multiple problems in on-board electronics.
  9. Outside air entering cabin even in recirculation mode.
  10. Irritating reflection of the shiny dashboard on windshield.

AFAIK, M&M is not offering any extended warranty unlike other manufacturers of similar vehicles. Why? Obviously because their own confidence level in their new car is not good enough. So what will happen after the warranty period? Nobody has any clues as to how the XUV would age, and going by the experience so far customers have reason to be very worried.

Who will compensate thousands of customers who are getting stuck on road, missing important appointments and running back and forth from the Service Centre dozens of times, often leaving their car there for many days. The last nail on the customer’s coffin is his frustrating realization he is merely a guinea pig being exploited by M&M who are shamelessly carrying out their ‘field trials’ at his expense. Aren’t car makers expected to thoroughly test their new products before unleashing them on the unsuspecting customer?

Sudden clutch failures and weak brakes in a 140 HP car weighing 2 tonnes can lead to life-threatening situations at any time. But both M&M and Indian consumers are pretty cool about it. Can such a scenario be even imagined in a civilized nation? Why do we allow manufacturers of sub-standard machines to get away with it? Why do we meekly accept such callousness as consumers?

IMHO, print and TV media should expose such frauds. At least the auto magazines and automobile related TV programs should highlight such issues. Aggrieved customers should approach consumer and civil courts.

Some people get unduly impressed by Anand Mahindra’s clever tweets. But can he offer any consolation to thousand of defective XUV owners who are running from pillar to post? Here is one letter to Anand Mahindra which, as usual, elicited no response : http://www.cartrade.com/reviews/Mahi...00-115564.html

If I ever get a chance to meet Anand Mahindra, here’s what I’ll do : I’ll take a printout of all 66 pages of this XUV niggles thread, make a fat garland out of it, and put it round his neck!

Post Script : Have I cancelled my XUV booking after coming to know about the defects? No. Why? Because I’m a moron who hopes against hope that by the time I get my XUV the problems (at least the major ones) would be sorted out. In India, we are like that only!
debuda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2012, 13:40   #990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserketkar View Post
Anyone got a solution to the reflection of the silver bands on the dashboard? please post pictures if you do.
This is quite irritating especially on a sunny day.
I dont think the reflection is just because of the silvery bands, but something to do with the angle of the windshield mounts itself - even the non shiny surfaces are badly showing up on the windshield.

Good pair of Polarized sunglasses works wonders! M&M should give it as a gift for buyers, will shut us up about the complaint of the reflection & put a nice wide smile ?
redindian is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks