Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2013, 01:32   #1936
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlg View Post
I think the relation between RPM and boost will be consistent if the measurements are taken with slow changes in RPM. Turbo is slow to react and this is what causes the inconsistency when engine RPM changes fast.
In VGTs like the one fixed in XUV, the boost can be controlled by ECM by adjusting the vanes using a vacuum system. ECM does it through regulating the vacuum pressure from the reservoir through a N75 or similar type electro mechanical value that is supplying vacuum to a vacuum vane actuator. What it means is, ECM can demand boost without having to increase the RPM, and probably that is the main reason why we have a VGT design.

As far as I know rpm and boost will be directly proportional if it is a fixed geometry turbo (Though not necessarily). If lift off the gas produces momentary increase in boost, could be due to the Exhaust Manifold Pressure (EMP) that is chocking the engine. But for whatsoever reason if the vacuum system controlling the Vane actuation not able to build up required boost demanded by ECM for 2 to 3 seconds, the vehicle may go to limp mode and DTC will be logged. But in this case there are no error code so we can't suspect that.

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 9th July 2013 at 01:37.
HotChillyPepper is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 11:55   #1937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Torque steer is prominent in vehicles like XUV with traverse mounted engines.
Does Octavia has a traverse mounted engine as well?
Yes. I believe Octavia has a traverse engine. But probably this may have something to do with the form factor. The difference in the sedan and a SUV shapes. That would also make a difference in the behavior under sudden acceleration. The CG would definitely have a effect on the power to traction dynamics which can cause this.

Quote:
Let's try it on a couple of more vehicles when you get a opportunity.
Do you suspect this to be a problem?
Not really think of it as a problem at present. More like the finessee in processes with tolarences used by the manufacturer. Will see for some months more to identify this to be constant or degenerating. In such this definitely would be a problem. Would be a good idea to check couple of other XUVs to sort this out.
yogibear007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 21:59   #1938
BHPian

Came home from office and while parking noticed that the led on the left headlights have gone kaput. Must visit the service center now. Hope to get it replaced under warranty like others have.
Old 9th July 2013, 22:08   #1939
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
Came home from office and while parking noticed that the led on the left headlights have gone kaput. Must visit the service center now. Hope to get it replaced under warranty like others have.
Sorry to hear that.
The LEDs are gone or the low-beam bulb?
Old 9th July 2013, 22:11   #1940
BHPian

Quote:

Sorry to hear that.
The LEDs are gone or the low-beam bulb?
The LEDs are gone. Never a dull day with the XUV :(
Old 9th July 2013, 23:19   #1941
BHPian

Does the xuv indicate which door is open? I remember the test drive vehicle just when it had launched had it. Can't seem to find it on my car. I just have the little icon that says door open without saying which one.

Struggled to find which door was open as none of them were rattling. Finally found that the building security hadn't shut the tailgate properly after security check and surprisingly it didn't rattle.

Where are the rattles when you need 'em?
djpeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 06:23   #1942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Does the xuv indicate which door is open? I remember the test drive vehicle just when it had launched had it. Can't seem to find it on my car. I just have the little icon that says door open without saying which one.

Struggled to find which door was open as none of them were rattling. Finally found that the building security hadn't shut the tailgate properly after security check and surprisingly it didn't rattle.

Where are the rattles when you need 'em?
You have to start moving a few meters, only then it will show which door is open, until then it will just be generic warning of door open.

Last edited by anandtheleo : 10th July 2013 at 06:24.
anandtheleo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 08:18   #1943
BHPian

Quote:
You have to start moving a few meters, only then it will show which door is open, until then it will just be generic warning of door open.
Thanks for the info. Never knew this. Do you meant to say the Infotainment will show door open warning with which door is opened?

If the vehicle is running on reserve fuel in Scorpio's I remember hearing audible warning in human voice during start-up (once you reach 20 kmph). This was a very nice feature, but never seen on XUV till date. Is that present as well?

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 10th July 2013 at 08:20.
Old 10th July 2013, 08:31   #1944
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
Thanks for the info. Never knew this. Do you meant to say the Infotainment will show door open warning with which door is opened?

Yes. Remember the alert icon at the bottom of the touch-screen? You get a alert which mentions which door is open.

Once you get moving, the GPS locates the vehicle. Using the GPS satellite, the car establishes a contact with a supercomputer hosted somewhere in Antartica. The supercomupter does the number crunching of the zillions of data points received from your car and uses a super-complex algorithm to figure out which door is open and then sends back the message to the car via the GPS satellite. That's why it takes a couple of minutes for the car to give that alert!
SDP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 08:45   #1945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dont get it. What is the logic behind this???

I think its better to let the driver know which door is open "before" the car starts moving??? Why wait for the car to move??
Old 10th July 2013, 08:53   #1946
BHPian

Quote:

If the vehicle is running on reserve fuel in Scorpio's I remember hearing audible warning in human voice during start-up (once you reach 20 kmph). This was a very nice feature, but never seen on XUV till date. Is that present as well?
Welcome, yes the alert is shown on the infotainment unit with pictorial depiction of the door open. This is in my W6.

Not sure about the fuel alert coz as soon the fuel indicator shows to have two bars i fuel up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post

I dont get it. What is the logic behind this???

I think its better to let the driver know which door is open "before" the car starts moving??? Why wait for the car to move??
Well, you have to leave logic behind when discussing about any Mahindra vehicle features. SDP's above explanation may hold truth in it
anandtheleo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 08:57   #1947
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If the vehicle is running on reserve fuel in Scorpio's I remember hearing audible warning in human voice during start-up (once you reach 20 kmph). This was a very nice feature..?
AFAIK, you need to keep an eye on that blinking fancy fuel gauge.
And beware! you need a really sharp eye, the blinking thingy is just 1mm x 1mm.

My Punto has this amber LED which is so bright in fact a friend of mine once spotted it from his company bus when I passed the staff vehicle.

Oh yes, the Punto, a car that costs less than half of XUV can also display instant fuel consumption, range, distance-to-empty, avaerage consumption, average speed and total running time. In miles, kms, liters, gallons and in several other languages if you happened to know no English.

Quote:
My Punto displays which door is ajar in less than half-of-a-second, along with the door-warning LED. Right in front of you, in the MID behind the steering, in terse black & white.

@SDP,

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 10th July 2013 at 08:58.
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 10:45   #1948
BHPian

On the New Brake Package design

After replacing the brake pad twice, the second time just 3 months ago with the new galfer brake pads - I continued to have brake screeching noise and in-effective braking on my year old XUV.

When I went back with the complaint, this time the relationship manager got their technical advisor/manager on the Job - who took me out on a test drive to test for the braking effectiveness.

We tried a few hard braking stops from speeds of 80-100Kmph on deserted road stretches and they did agree that the braking was less than satisfactory compared to other vehicles.

The Tech Mgr assured me he will personally fix this up for good this time - he said he will source the new pedal design and get it fixed. The screeching noise that came every time there was even the slightest braking was also supposedly unique to my vehicle ( with so called 4th generation brake pads of Galfer make) .

They replaced brake pedal assembly with the new model and also changed the brake discs since it apparently had some damage/imperfections. Since the screeching noise persisted even after this they also put in new brake pads.

I must say there is night & day difference in the way the brakes feel and react now. I did a few 100 to 0 stops - the braking is so much better, confidence inspiring & predictable. Regular city commute braking also feels much more predictable - compared to pre changes.

I should add 2 things here though -

1. My vehicle braking was very very bad before this most recent change. Infact it was deteriorating quite rapidly in the last 3-4 months so much so that I was consciously keeping the vehicle at speeds less than 120 on highways - so the delta I see in braking is bound to be much larger than for most people

2. There is still some screeching noise from brakes - thinking about letting it go for the time being, no point in the vehicle spending all its time in the workshop

Overall - I should say that this new solution for brakes is far more effective and required for a heavy, powerful beast like the XUV
redindian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 11:14   #1949
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Once you get moving, the GPS locates the vehicle. Using the GPS satellite, the car establishes a contact with a supercomputer hosted somewhere in Antartica. The supercomupter does the number crunching of the zillions of data points received from your car and uses a super-complex algorithm to figure out which door is open and then sends back the message to the car via the GPS satellite. That's why it takes a couple of minutes for the car to give that alert!
You sure did have your bit of fun for the day!!
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 13:30   #1950
BHPian

Got the entire left headlight assembly changed under warranty due to the LED going kaput. No fuss in the A** for warranty claim, as soon as I told them the LED was gone, they checked for availability and got it changed in 45 minutes.

But, after the change I can see a difference in the intensity of the headlight compared to the one on the right (the old one). The intensity is lesser by about 30%-40% and shows even in daylight, when asked about it the service adviser tells that Mahindra have changed the wiring and light bulb design as there was frequent problems in the old ones. He has asked me to check the intensity in the night and get back to him.

The solution offered if I was not happy after the change was to change the right side assembly too, so that there won't be any variation in intensity.

I already am not happy with the low beam for its capacity to light up the road, now I get crappier lights as replacement.

This is the 11th individual part to be replaced in my XUV500 in my 1.5 years of ownership.

Last edited by anandtheleo : 12th July 2013 at 13:35.
anandtheleo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks