Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2015, 12:36   #3361
SDP
Team-BHP Support

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by singhangad View Post
My XUV's steering has become tight. I've gone 4 times to the service center. Earlier there was a metallic noise coming while turning right. The SA said it is some "back plate" touching. It got repaired in the first 2 visits - repaired in the first visit, then came back and the repaired permanently in the second. I thought the steering tightness would go away with that fix but it didn't. The 3rd time I read up the niggles thread and asked the SA to check the power steering fluid. He said its full and isn't leaking as others here have seen. Went a 4th time again, and complained again about the steering while getting other issues fixed like brake noise. This time I was firmer with the SA and told him to take it seriously. After the repair he said they've drained the entire power steering fluid and filled it again.

The tightness is still there!

Mind you this is not a wee bit tight, but a "use two hands and all your muscular strength while maneuvering in traffic" tight. I see that wheel alignment is a bit off (to the left) but that has been there since a long time and was bearable. Don't think it is because of that.

Anyone has any pointers on what could be the problem here? Some worn out belt? The motor itself worn out. Car is just 14k driven. It was all butter smooth till 13k and then suddenly got so hard..

Please help. Alternatively any leads on which service center in bangalore to go for this kind of issue? I've been going to Sireesh auto, marathahalli.
If there is no leakage of PS fluid, the other possible culprit is the power steering pump. If its already the 4th visit, please escalate to customer care. Customers cant keep on visiting the service center multiple times for the same issue. If they are not able to isolate the problem and fix it, its their problem. Let them replace the entire power steering assembly if they are not able to pinpoint the problem to any specific part.
SDP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 15:01   #3362
BHPian

Hi Fellow Bhpians/XUV Owners, most of us have been facing one minor niggle throughout and as far as I know, no one hasn't yet been given a solid solution from the Mahindra Service.

It is nothing but the "Outside Smell/Smoke seeping into the cabin even when the A/C circulation is switched to internal". Many would have already got this rectified, and many wouldn't have yet. What I understand is Mahindra has not yet published any circular with a solution to this. But as per my interaction with the Service Team at KTC-Cochin, the circular will come out soon.

I am quoting fellow bhpians who had posted on the same issue in the same thread so that it get's their attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Outside smell seeping in has always been a problem even with the AC in recirculation mode. But it was still OK with me, till recently, as I only smelt it occasionally when the car was driven through long streches of smoke or stink outside.
So anyone has got this smell issue sorted out by this approach or some other way...
FundaG
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
Has anyone found a solution to the outside smell peeping into the cabin on recirculation mode ?
The service guys say there is no solution for the same and have to live with it. Is that so ?
While idling at the traffic signal, I could feel exhaust fumes irritating the eyes and nostrils.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
I was just about to the pick up the same topic. I
I do believe that this is one of the design issues for which there is no solution yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
Has anyone found a solution to the outside smell peeping into the cabin on recirculation mode ?
I had the exact problem n it was rectified by adjusting some flaps or gates as per my Rm.
However only 90% of the problem was sorted out.
This was ok for about 4 months and now the same problem has surfaced again.
But yes this is the solution which controls it largely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelapratosh View Post
Picked up my car from the service center yesterday. As of now, I am pretty much done with all my issues. Only two issues (One major one minor) remain..
Minor: Outside smell creeping into the cabin when the a/c is in recycle mode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgupta View Post
My friend who bought a W4 a few weeks back has been facing a series of issues since then.
4. Outside smell inside cabin even if the inner circulation air flow mode is on
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisu View Post
I am facing the exact same issue like you mentioned.
Anyone who has faced this issue and can shed any light on the possible solution would be really great.
After a long wait of more than 2 years, this niggle has been finally been sorted and I have personally checked the same with the service head while my car was in for 50K service.

The issue was with the External Air Flow Shutter, which was from the OEM supplier to Mahindra. Basically due to lack of complete/accurate closing of the shutters (fitment), and also with the poor quality of sponge used to seal the shutter. I am enclosing a few pics taken during the same at 8:00 PM yesterday at KTC Service Center here in Cochin.

Niggle:
1. The Shutter Assembly which was there on my car had alignment issues which always affected the complete closure of the shutter. There is no marginal gap, but enough for air to seep in.
2. The shutter doors came with a Sponge that helped in sealing it properly, the sponge on mine was of inferior quality and had already worn out. (was not in proper shape)
3. There was also a ant rat/insect mesh in front of the shutter that was missing on the one which was there on my car.

Solution:
1. Improved Shutter Assembly from the same OEM with the alignment issues sorted.
2. The Shutter now uses, more rigid and better quality sponge in places of the earlier one.
3. New one has anti-pest mesh. (The Service guys are not completely aware of this mesh thing, you guys might already have this, if not just make sure that you get the one with the mesh.)

Note :
The Service head at KTC - Cochin had the courtesy to call me and inform me just before they were about to fix the new Shutter. I could personally test the functioning while the mechanic sprayed in a strong room/air freshener into the air intake from outside. That was pretty much satisfactory and after some 5 minutes, I switched the external air flow and then the smell swept in.

The solution was provided by Mahindra personnel from the plant, and in fact there was an initial debate between the OEM of the Air Shutter and Mahindra on whose side was the issue with. KTC was given 10 new Shutter Assemblies, and 4 of them have already been fixed on cars with the same complaint and a few are BHPians.

*KINDLY EXCUSE ME FOR THE POOR QUALITY OF PICS. These pics were taken at 8:00 PM in the night and I only had my mobile cam with me, and also the lighting at the Garage wasnt that great, so is my photography skills :(

This was how my car looked like when I reached the Garage
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-xuv-ac.jpg

The reason they take longer to remove the dash is because of the long procedure of removing individual pieces and the shutter lies at center (Below the climate control sensors) right under the windshield. What you see here is the new Shutter fixed.
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-xuv-ac-1.jpg

The old Shutter, which was removed. You can see the edges of the sponge which looks worn out. (You might need to put in some extra effort to make this out, thanks to the blurry pic I managed to take)
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-xuv-ac-3.jpg

What you see on the left is the new shutter (note : anti pest metal shutter) and the one on the right is of course the culprit behind all this story.
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-xuv-ac-4.jpg

From another angle : In the below pics you can see the new shutter and right under it the old shutter.
Note : The new Light-Greyish sponge lining at the top end of the shutter facing the windshield, you can hardly see the same on the old one. And the quality issue was visible as it hardly did its job.
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-xuv-ac-5.jpg

The old one with sponge hardly covering the entire edges of the shutter.
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-xuv-ac-6.jpg

Thanks to the White Verito parked next to mine which gave me at-least a whitish background to this pic.

Hope this helps. Cheers !!
peterjim13 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 20:57   #3363
BHPian

Hi All,

Has anyone used OBDII port accessories such as Automatic link (http://www.amazon.com/Automatic-Car-...automatic+link) with XUV? I am keen on buying one, but not sure of the compatibility.
Old 18th June 2015, 21:23   #3364
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
Hi All,

Has anyone used OBDII port accessories such as Automatic link (http://www.amazon.com/Automatic-Car-...automatic+link) with XUV? I am keen on buying one, but not sure of the compatibility.
Tried a regular OBD2 adapter with bluetooth connectivity with the Torque App on android. Works as expected. No issues.
Old 19th June 2015, 09:52   #3365
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
The reason they take longer to remove the dash is because of the long procedure of removing individual pieces and the shutter lies at center (Below the climate control sensors) right under the windshield. What you see here is the new Shutter fixed.
From the pics I am seeing the shutter is pointing towards engine bay and is located below the glossy center console. However, I don't remember seeing the opening of shutter from engine bay, is it possible to check the same from outside?

Also, how good did they fix the open dash after the work? I am also planning of getting the dash opened for some work (rattle from passenger side), the pic of yours is giving me nightmares.

Last edited by mpksuhas : 19th June 2015 at 09:54.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 11:00   #3366
BHPian

Quote:
Fairly common problem in early batches. Lot of people got their headlight assemblies changed under warranty due to this problem. May be even you should insist on warranty replacement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Looks like moisture is seeping in and the headlight seals have gone bad. Either it should be fixed or headlight replaced ideally.
I got my headlamp replaced under warranty last weekend at Anant cars, Bangalore.Their approach was highly professional and it was a quick inspection and replacement. I was really happy the way the RM (Mr.Keerthi Dayal) and (Mr.Manzoor) from the engineering department handled the issue.

Again, M&M's customer friendly attitude in accepting niggles and making sure the issue is resolved shows they do care about their customers
ViPo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st June 2015, 10:39   #3367

I bought a White W8 in December 2014. Been a happy driver so far with 9300 KM on the odo.
Few things I'm a little unhappy about
1) I feel water spray on the front wipers is powerful enough (I owners a Honda City 2008 and a Hyundai Santro XP 2002 before this). Service center says this is good.
2) Occassionally, moving from Neutral to 1st gear becomes a herculean task. At a traffic signal, the only option at such moments is to start in 2nd and move on. As occassional as once or twice a month, but a nuisance indeed.
3) Where do other XUVians keep coins / toll tickets? I dont see any good place to keep coins or toll tickets. Door doesnt have a coin tray, bottle/cup holders between gear and chill box have holes that coins may fall through, keeping coins in the top compartment of the chill box may be slightly painful.
4) Driver seat is already showing signs of losing original color (wear and tear). When I asked Service Center if we could get seat covers, they said using seat covers may impact functioning of the air bags. I cant correlate the two.
Next one isnt a complaint
I'm keen to buy a dash cam. Service Center (India Garage near Guindy) didnt seem too familiar with it - if I were to buy and fix on my own (plug into the 5V socket), is that likely to mess around with electricals? Is that likely to impact the warranty of the car? Would love to know any of the XUVians found a great model that fits best behind XUV's Rear View Mirror.

Cheers,
kk
Old 21st June 2015, 11:42   #3368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkbv View Post
I'm keen to buy a dash cam. Service Center (India Garage near Guindy) didnt seem too familiar with it - if I were to buy and fix on my own (plug into the 5V socket), is that likely to mess around with electricals? Is that likely to impact the warranty of the car? Would love to know any of the XUVians found a great model that fits best behind XUV's Rear View Mirror.

Cheers,
kk
fusionbang has one on his XUV. Looks neatly placed behind the IRVM and is connected to the 12V socket. The only hindrance is the cable dangling.

It's from gearbest and the model is Mini 0805. It's priced well at $68.
Old 21st June 2015, 11:52   #3369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash22 View Post
fusionbang has one on his XUV. Looks neatly placed behind the IRVM and is connected to the 12V socket. The only hindrance is the cable dangling.

It's from gearbest and the model is Mini 0805. It's priced well at $68.
Thanks! Wish I could see photos of how Mini 0805 fits behind the rear view. Not sold in India! Tucking the cables in the roof / sides / glove box - I remember some video - but, not for XUV.

I was looking at Transcend DrivePro 220 too. (Product Specs are at http://in.transcend-info.com/Products/No-692) Currently unavailable on Amazon, but is sure expensive too! Wish these become popular, inexpensive and standard accessories in India soon

Last edited by ampere : 21st June 2015 at 12:55. Reason: Formatted post
Old 22nd June 2015, 10:47   #3370
Senior - BHPian

Guys, faced a weird issue in my car yesterday during my 400 KMS trip (to & fro). I tried to use cruise control to the maximum during my drive, but unfortunately after 15-20 mins of cruising I could see the Hill-Hold, Hill-Descent and ESP indicators glowing continuously. It never went off until and unless the car was restarted. Not sure if anybody else has faced this issue, I need to visit the service center and get it corrected. I really did not expect a niggle out of my 1 month old car
Old 22nd June 2015, 11:33   #3371
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Guys, faced a weird issue in my car yesterday during my 400 KMS trip (to & fro). I tried to use cruise control to the maximum during my drive, but unfortunately after 15-20 mins of cruising I could see the Hill-Hold, Hill-Descent and ESP indicators glowing continuously. It never went off until and unless the car was restarted. Not sure if anybody else has faced this issue, I need to visit the service center and get it corrected.
Most likely one of the sensors has gone kaput or has a loose connection.
I once had a sheered wire on the wheel speed sensor and that was throwing all sort of weird alerts. My HDC, HHC and ABS lights were glowing IIRC. This happened in the first 20kms of a 900km journey. So I can imagine your mental state.

Quote:
I really did not expect a niggle out of my 1 month old car
Don't let these things get to you.

On a lighter note, welcome to Mahindra owners' club.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 12:29   #3372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
From the pics I am seeing the shutter is pointing towards engine bay and is located below the glossy center console. However, I don't remember seeing the opening of shutter from engine bay, is it possible to check the same from outside?

Also, how good did they fix the open dash after the work? I am also planning of getting the dash opened for some work (rattle from passenger side), the pic of yours is giving me nightmares.
Suhas,

You cannot see the Shutter from the engine bay. The vent to the shutter is right under the windshield (as you can see near your vipers, and I think there is a partition b/w what is there under the dash and whatever is around the engine bay.

They fixed it all pretty well, there are lot of small fitments to be completed as a process to have this dash back in place. As per my request, they have also checked all the fitments for rattling sounds, any areas for rust, and also have cleaned the AC vents and filters too.

And for your issue, I think you do not have any other option. They should take good care of it, and of course they would need some time. If you are opening the dash, also check for the Anti Pest Mesh on the shutter.

Cheers
peterjim13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 13:38   #3373
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, faced a weird issue in my car yesterday during my 400 KMS trip (to & fro). I tried to use cruise control to the maximum during my drive, but unfortunately after 15-20 mins of cruising I could see the Hill-Hold, Hill-Descent and ESP indicators glowing continuously. It never went off until and unless the car was restarted. Not sure if anybody else has faced this issue, I need to visit the service center and get it corrected. I really did not expect a niggle out of my 1 month old car
I feel its not because of the cruise control and usual with some W8 owners, I am a happy W6 owner.
I would suggest you to not to get tensed about it and am sure its nothing serious. Get to the ASS and get the error codes checked and cleared. If its occuring once a blue moon I think you gotta live with it. Hope that it doesnt occur again after getting it checked.

Last edited by rahul_kej : 22nd June 2015 at 13:42.
rahul_kej is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 14:06   #3374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most likely one of the sensors has gone kaput or has a loose connection.
I once had a sheered wire on the wheel speed sensor and that was throwing all sort of weird alerts. My HDC, HHC and ABS lights were glowing IIRC. This happened in the first 20kms of a 900km journey. So I can imagine your mental state.

Don't let these things get to you.

On a lighter note, welcome to Mahindra owners' club.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_kej View Post
I feel its not because of the cruise control and usual with some W8 owners, I am a happy W6 owner.
I would suggest you to not to get tensed about it and am sure its nothing serious. Get to the ASS and get the error codes checked and cleared. If its occuring once a blue moon I think you gotta live with it. Hope that it doesnt occur again after getting it checked.
Thanks SDP & Rahul. Wil check with my service center and see what the issue is exactly and hope nothing major. Also I need to get checked on the passenger side rattling sound.

@Rahul - Did you get the phone connectivity issue sorted out with the lollipop version? Was there any update done to your infotainment software?
Old 22nd June 2015, 14:36   #3375
BHPian

Quote:
Also I need to get checked on the passenger side rattling sound.

@Rahul - Did you get the phone connectivity issue sorted out with the lollipop version? Was there any update done to your infotainment software?
Is your passenger side rattling sound coming from behind the dash? If that gets sorted out do let me know, if they want to remove the whole dash to sort it out, I will prefer living with it.

Running latest Android version and even software of infotainment system was updated. Its still the same. I dont think Mahindra can do anything about it. Hence waiting for Android M, which I feel will solve the issue.
rahul_kej is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks